Gear Maniac

Focusrite Scarlett
never worked
kept installing new drivers for months and then sold it
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by completeidiot23 View Post
I read all the hate on the AKG C1000s, but I just finished an EP with on on a guitar cab. I don't understand the hate
I've had two C1000s for 5 years and I've always liked them. Used them with good results on drum overheads, acoustic guitar and guitar cabs.
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHiHat View Post
Guys, we should seriously make an "angry video game nerd"-version regarding useless studio gear!
+1
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

Acustica Nebula!!!!
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

This is my "Bad" investments I made in the past. I still have this gear though.

Emu ESI-32 fully upgraded
Kurzweil PX1000
Digitech Vocalist
Alesis S4 Quadrasynth
Alesis Q2 Quadraverb
A denoiser two channel un-balanced: 200usd (So this doesnt really matter)
Six Tascam DX-4D DBX noise reduction for a 2" 24 track real to real I had.
K&K Triggmaster with triggers: (Midi out from acustic drums)
ART SGX 2000: (I could never make this sound good)
And ofcourse I bought two Tascam DA-88 and two DA-38 a mmc-38 and the big remote RC-848 to full price. I still love them though, NO LATENCY......But for shure alot of money.

And I bought a speedboat that sunk :(
Cheers

BTW I have a lot of Behringer stuff, but they are good for the price I paid, and a few Alesis 3630 I really Love.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenEdwardsAud View Post
I've had two C1000s for 5 years and I've always liked them. Used them with good results on drum overheads, acoustic guitar and guitar cabs.
Me two, I bought two of them, and used them for overhead on drums and acoustic instruments with great results, as OH I later used Shure SM81-LC insted though. Akg c1000s was not as good on vocal. But a good alround mic anyway.

BTW I only used the first model dark grey almost black, the later light grey I dont know, never tested them.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Yamaha TX16W Sampler. Has got to be the single worst operating system I've ever met. Virtually impossible to use. :/
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Oops :/
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by button View Post
Well ... I thought I'd add a BIG TICKET item to this thread!

Add the multitrack in as well ...
... and the white linen gloves required to edit on the machines (edit a prodigi - ever tried?)

Should have purchased a small apartment instead (hey, ho.)
I saw one of those on a site where everything is priced high and yet that machine was selling for $400.
Attached Thumbnails
Worst gear purchase?-x86.jpg  
Old 15th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Yamaha TX16W Sampler. Has got to be the single worst operating system I've ever met. Virtually impossible to use. :/
Oh man, that thing was trash!
Old 15th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Oh man, that thing was trash! And slow!!
Old 15th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgielen View Post
Pro Tools M-powered &
M-audio profire 2626

Probably the worst combo money can buy to go digital.
Unexplainably bad interface drivers, crashes, firewire bus problems,
clicks, plops, One Pre-amp died on the first day,
Yeah, I had that thing for a week and it blew up and blew my FireWire port on my MacBook.
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Profire 2626 works like magic on a Mac.
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear
OMG, where do I start?

Line6 POD Pro: range of tone goes all the way from heavy metal to heavy metal

Akai A-DAMs: Almost $10K for 24 tracks (2 machines, plus a $350 two-foot sync cable) and you got 17 minutes on two tapes (one in each transport), if you could find 'em! Plus moving two 80 lb transports, two meter bridges and 20 lbs of (connecting) cables to do a remote was torture

Trident S-20: Close to a grand(!!) for an 8-pin op amp chip masquerading as a mic pre - couldn't believe it when I opened up that thing!

ART Tube Pre (the little $100 one that looks like a direct box with an erection): Plate-starved AX7, transformer-less, and flavorless. Plus, all the headroom of a Yugo.

Yamaha SPX-900: This probably wouldn't have been a terrible piece of equipment if I hadn't bought it for reverb.

Eventide Eclipse: Okay, this one's actually a pretty cool piece, but I'm including it here 'cause it's supposed to be a 96K effect unit, and less than 1/4 of the presets support it.

Audio Technica "Digital Reference" Series microphones: I got a couple 'cause they were dirt cheap; now I see why. The microphone on my son's Fisher Price tape recorder actually outperformed the DRVX-1, and they had all the reach of an oompa-loompa in a straitjacket - (should have been advertised as "contact mics"!)

Any of the Focusrite "Platinum" series: I had an OctoPre with the digital out card - the mic pre's in my old Fostex 8-channel mixer sounded better, as did the converters in my Tascam CD burner.

Last (but not least), (any of the new) Danelectro Guitars: What's the difference between a Dan'o and a banjo?
The banjo sustains longer.
Old 27th February 2013
lmf
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_boy5 View Post
worst....
Telefunken USA M16....paid 1500 bucks.
Looked at the APEX 460 comparison and started researching...
Took it back....(whew!! close one)

Best so far Millenia TD-1, SSL X-Logic Channel, ADL 600 preamp and dbx 160SL
also love my Rosetta AD though I know it's a bit out-dated.

There's also the purchase that started this whole mess:
Tascam Porta studio 4-track cassette "studio" and an SM58
Guitar-boy,

I would agree the Tascam Porta Studio 4-track cassette "studio" was not my most brilliant purchase. It was more of an "impulse buy" that I wished would have never happened. I was young and was still learning about multitrack recording. It was a unique product at the time, but I should have saved my money. After the second repair expensive repair, I got rid of it as it didn't seem to work right after spending more money. However, I still have my SM58 and it continues to serve me today. I have other microphones - dynamics, condensers, large diaphragm tube and non-tube mics - but I like my "old faithful SM58" for live and recording projects. It has proved to be like an old friend. It sounds far better on the mixers and recording equipment I have today.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Old 27th February 2013
Yamaha FB-01... pure trash, good for making half-ass'd fart sounds.
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Maniac

I've really enjoyed all of my gear except a crappy Behringer mixer I got once. That thing sucked.
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

AKAI DR4. It was noisier that a a ten ton truck. I could hear it through a brick wall and I am not kidding.

Alesis Prolinear 820 Monitors. Bass Bass Bass. Nothing else but bass.......NO NOT THE BASS!!!

ART Tube MP Forgive me Lord for I have sinned. It was my first pre!!!

SPL Vitalizer MK2 A LITTLE harsh I know, but it is one of those things that you get, that you completely utterly love (especially when you hear the bass!!) and then five seconds later you work out that it doesn't really add anything useful to a well balanced mix, therefore having no purpose whatsoever and you cannot really understand what made you like it in the first place and then after owning it for less than 24hrs, even the shop you bought it from thinks it is worth less than half of what you paid for it. Pointless
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Maniac

M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Just awful.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Just awful.
Drops-outs, clicks and pops everywhere! And it ate up CPU. I use a PCI card now.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Maniac

KRK Rokits. They were like mixing on stereo speakers! Didn't translate anywhere. Muddy, boomy and tinny highs.

Went for the YAMMY HS ones never looked back.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Maniac
Roland SH3a. Worst. Synth. Ever.
Old 12th March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.understatement View Post
i had an alesis 3630 and it was a great start into engineering for me when I was less than half aas old as I am now.

daft punk however are less daft than me and have made it part of their signature sound.

DAFT PUNK

I was ready to trash my 'lil old 3630 years ago and then came across this mod Alesis 3630 Compressor Mods

if you don't mind sacrificing the (basically worthless) Gate function, this is actually a happily useful back-of-the-corner-bargain-basement comp at literally dirt cheap. Even if you don't have the patience for the rest of it, disabling the gate with a few quick snips is completely worth it. Throw it on the backing harmonies or something
Old 29th March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMNYC View Post
dbx 386 dual channel pre, to my ears it's as flat as a skunk crossing the highway.

just not a lot of headroom on the thing.

i knew nothing about pre's when i got it so i guess i shouldn't be too hard on myself, at first i thought i had a great pre... blah blah blah, then i got my mindprint dtc and saw the light.

cheers,

FM

FM was filmed inTechnicolor.
Old 29th March 2013
Here for the gear

Ditto here on the 386, I was lulled into it from my experience with the old 160 compressors thinking I'd get comparable quality, what a truly crap piece of gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMNYC View Post
dbx 386 dual channel pre, to my ears it's as flat as a skunk crossing the highway.

just not a lot of headroom on the thing.

i knew nothing about pre's when i got it so i guess i shouldn't be too hard on myself, at first i thought i had a great pre... blah blah blah, then i got my mindprint dtc and saw the light.

cheers,

FM

FM was filmed inTechnicolor.
Old 29th March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmj View Post
Me two, I bought two of them, and used them for overhead on drums and acoustic instruments with great results, as OH I later used Shure SM81-LC insted though. Akg c1000s was not as good on vocal. But a good alround mic anyway.
I came from the live side of things, and I *love* C1000s as lectern mics. I saw someone else do it once, and I'll never go back now. I've put them up against everything from Crown PZM mics to Neumann KMs and they are the best mic I've found for a lectern--very full sound, low noise, decent feedback rejection, good coverage without a lot of obvious variation in the pattern. For some reason, I never even tried them in the studio and was surprised to see how much everyone hates them here. Now I'll probably never try recording with them.

My worst purchase ever? Hmm. Back when I was using DA-88s and -38s, I bought some early rack-mount project studio hard disk recorder. Don't even remember what it was now. Editing was such a nightmare of menus and squinting at tiny LCD displays that I would have been better off doing new takes or using a razor blade. Unlike some of the other people on this list, I got out of my DA-*8s right before the bottom fell out of that market, so I don't regret them at all
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Isn't that kind of like one hand clapping?
Old 29th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumq View Post
exactly! LOL
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumq View Post
I had one and was thrilled with it. Until I got something else
Old 30th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthinupmysleeve View Post
I had one and was thrilled with it. Until I got something else
I knew it was lame but all I could afford at the time. I'd layer it with a Korg DW-8000 thru a Peavey KB-100 amp.

Oh, the days of humble beginnings.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search