Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdouglas View Post
artist control......
V1 or V2
Old 24th July 2012
Here for the gear

PreSonus AudioBox USB!! I've had two crap out on me in the past three months!!!
Old 10th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i once walked out of a music store with:

a blackface adat, 2 alesis 3630 compressors, a midiverb 3, and a mackie 1202.

no wonder i fell in love with valium.

gregoire
del ubik
Love this One...... Me Klonopin.......much better.
Old 10th August 2012
Gear Maniac

A brand new 'Profile' electric guitar bought from the Sears catalog. And.....

...when I received the guitar, their was no sound coming from it when plugged into an amp.... I finally found that the pickups where not connected to the jack plug inside the guitar.
Old 14th August 2012
Here for the gear
c1000 mics. Hate 'em. gritty sounding things.
Fake senheissers from eBay a few years ago. I opened them up. they were all different and two of them were wired un-balanced!
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

I bought an iPad as a portable notepad to carry around with me, but when I went to write on it the pen scratched the glass and I can't get the scratches out. The other problem is that they forgot to put any paper in it.

At least I didn't make the mistake my girlfriend made. Something about napkins (not completely sure), but whatever it is she said it is the worst she has ever used; apparently completely non-absorbent, and totally oversized.. She said that Steve really should have tried it out before he put it on the market.
Old 14th August 2012
Gear Head

mg100hdfx
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

Pro Tools M-powered &
M-audio profire 2626

Probably the worst combo money can buy to go digital.
Unexplainably bad interface drivers, crashes, firewire bus problems,
clicks, plops, One Pre-amp died on the first day,
made even sound my Neve dull.

After about 16 months of trying to make it work stable,
i gave up and went to RME/LOGIC & PT9-X,
barely a problem ever since

Will never buy anything M-audio ever again
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgielen View Post
Pro Tools M-powered &
M-audio profire 2626

Probably the worst combo money can buy to go digital.
Unexplainably bad interface drivers, crashes, firewire bus problems,
clicks, plops, One Pre-amp died on the first day,
made even sound my Neve dull.

After about 16 months of trying to make it work stable,
i gave up and went to RME/LOGIC & PT9-X,
barely a problem ever since

Will never buy anything M-audio ever again
2 1/2 years with BLA Profire 2626 not one problem.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Nut

I read all the hate on the AKG C1000s, but I just finished an EP with on on a guitar cab. I don't understand the hate
Old 22nd September 2012
Most of you are too young to remember these, but in 1985 I bought an Alesis XT digital reverb unit - the first one available at under $1000 ($800 I think). I think it was 12-bit, but sounded like 8 bit, with just two programs: "ass" and "more ass". I don't know what I was thinking.

Around the same time I bought my first poly synth, a Roland JX3P with PG200 programming unit. Again, it was the price point: a polyphonic synth for under $2K. It would have been great if it hadn't been crippled with the worst filters ever. They made it go from thin sounding to thinner sounding.

Having said that, I also sold a LOT of stuff that I wish I hadn't. But, as my wife says: "don't beat your self up, that's my job".
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Software:
- Bitheads Unity DS-1. ARRGH! Expensive and worthless.
- Antares JVP TDM... expensive, and didn't get any use out of it really until it was discontinued

Hardware:
- I too bought a 3630. It had one good sound. Off. Even the gate was terrible, it would click when it kicked in.
- Atari Falcon, Cubase Audio, etc... it cost me about $2500 between the computer and hard drive. It worked, but it was really wonky! Probably doesn't really qualify, because it was really great and I got work done, but I did a lot of waiting and tweaking to get it to work and continue to work...
- Tascam portable DAT... I bought it thinking I would do lots of field recordings. I didn't. Waste of money.
- Tascam TMD-4000 digital mixer. It is actually a great mixer in so many ways, but it went from $4k down to $250 in value in just a few years. I got a lot of great use out of it, but it's worth so little now I don't even want to sell it! Crazy.
- Sonorus Studi/o card... never worked right. Rather, worked fine until blasting me with digital white noise through my digital mixer at any point in the process... terrible.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

The only piece of gear I've honestly regretted?

The Kenton Pro-2000 MKII Midi to CV converter.

I bought it hoping it to be the centerpiece of a bunch of SEMs and Eurorack stuff, specifically because it's capable of poly CV, as in sending each note played to a different Osc.

Sadly, it's not capable of any kind of mod wheel sweeps / midi sweeping without horrendous zipper noise! Embarrassingly bad zipper noise as in I can't believe they had the balls to release this in its current condition.

I emailed them asking about it to which they blamed MIDI. Strange, as others have cracked this nut. I wrote back telling them and they responded that they had no plans to update it. Which was really surprising and embarrassing for a company who's supposed to specialize in this and yet they can't figure out a simple thing like converting CC numbers to something smoother.

It's had the opposite effect on me as I play my Obie SEM and Euro rack stuff very little. Every time I look at that thing I get a pit in my stomach as it's so uninspiring.

There's not many other options out there for CV Poly stuff. I've been thinking about going to Silent Way but again the whole excitement of using the Kenton was the fact that I didn't need my computer or DAW to play my modules.

Adding to the embarrassment, I recently demoed a Mintaur. Moog smartly uses 14 bit values for the midi CC numbers resulting in extremely smooth filter sweeps over midi and other controls. Moog cracked that one and the midi control of the Minitaur is second to the sound. The Kenton is purpose built!

Ugh...looking at that blue box disgusts me. Even to the point that when Ken Macbeth bragged about how Kenton was doing the MIDI for his MicroMac I seriously lost interest in it. I wanted to drop him an email asking, "Are you serious? You're proud of that?! Why would you spend so long designing what is shaping up to be one of the most killer Synths as of late and then let Kenton come and take a giant sh*t on it?!"

Wow - is it obvious how much I dislike this Midi to CV converter as well as the company? I've bought a lot of stuff and had a lot of lemons in my time but this is the first time I've truly regretted a purchase and had something that actually inspired me to play less.

Regards,
Frank
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthinupmysleeve View Post
- Tascam TMD-4000 digital mixer. It is actually a great mixer in so many ways, but it went from $4k down to $250 in value in just a few years. I got a lot of great use out of it, but it's worth so little now I don't even want to sell it! Crazy.
Lol...I'm right there you! My studio is filled with stuff like that! I have an Emax II Keyboard I spent close to $4000 completely maxxing out with memory and getting the turbo board back in like '91. Now it's worth what? $300-$400 if I'm lucky?

I have a Roland VS880 that I spent $2500 on new in like '94...that's worth about $200 probably today.

I'm loaded with stuff like that, that I don't use but I refuse to sell because it's worth so little compared to what I paid for it!

Regards,
Frank
Old 22nd September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthinupmysleeve View Post
Software:
- Bitheads Unity DS-1. ARRGH! Expensive and worthless.
That's funny! I had this too. It stunk. I never used it again after discovering Reason 2.0.
Old 28th September 2012
Worst gear purchase?-imageuploadedbygearslutz1348815910.030519.jpg

This! Note number 4 ( the blue frog) doesn't work :-(
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Meaow View Post
Attachment 311061

This! Note number 4 ( the blue frog) doesn't work :-(

Eh eh... I had a similar experience once with a similar "fx machine/weirdo soundscape" toy - only, in my case, it was some sort of bubble-baloons protruding from it as keys, instead of the frogs (which I am certain have more low mids and sound more vintage, tube, warm & phatt - and possibly blow out of the water... Oh well, a frog would, wouldn't it? )

Btw - TRIPLE thumbs up for the username - Chairman MEOW?!

A
F
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin View Post

Around the same time I bought my first poly synth, a Roland JX3P with PG200 programming unit. Again, it was the price point: a polyphonic synth for under $2K. It would have been great if it hadn't been crippled with the worst filters ever. They made it go from thin sounding to thinner sounding.
It uses the same filter chip as the Jupiter 8 so it must suck as well!
Old 2nd October 2012
Here for the gear

Line 6 Spider II

Line 6 Spider III

Line 6 Floor POD Plus

(Notice a trend?)

VOX AT120VT

Boss ME-70 (was good at first but does not replace a real pedalboard)
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Addict

Without a doubt the Yamaha QY10. Why I purchased this? Dunno. I guess at the time I thought it would be really cool to be able to write songs on the fly. Little did I realize how awful this thing sounded and how limiting it would be so far as programming and use. Ah well.. Now we have laptops with incredible software and soon enough the touchpads will be up to snuff. Lesson learned.
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tascam TMD-4000 digital mixer. It is actually a great mixer in so many ways, but it went from $4k down to $250 in value in just a few years. I got a lot of great use out of it, but it's worth so little now I don't even want to sell it!
I'm in a similar situation with my Panasonic SV3800 DAT machine and Tascam DA38, but I got great use out of them as well so I have no regrets. I'll just probably never bother to sell them.
Old 13th October 2012
Here for the gear

Once upon a time, I purchased a Lexicon Omega.

When it worked it did exactly what it was supposed to do.
But after a while, my computers stopped recognizing it.

Three computers later I still had the same problem; the drivers would always run fine for a bit, then decide it had no idea what that POS was doing on the other end of the USB cable.

After drinking myself to sleep many nights, I eventually disassembled the thing for parts. The 1/4 TRS switching jacks have been great for all my miscellaneous repairs/noise makers.

tl:dr, the Lexicon Omega has some great Switchcraft hardware to use when you're done using it as a door stop.
Old 29th October 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
2 Akai samplers

YOu shouldn't beat yourself up over this. At a time it did made sense (talking about the S950/S1000/S1100 line)

I bought three Adats black. I AM guilty as charged
Old 31st October 2012
Here for the gear

1. Roland RD-300 back in 1991. (over $2000) I was a beginner, and thought it was good because it was expensive. Oops! Sounded like crap! But most keyboards did back then... Roland has actually redeemed themselves very well though

2. Windows Vista Dell PC.... Vista? enough said.

3. Presonus Firepod (firewire interface) - Pre amps were terrible, and the reliability was even worse.
Old 5th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by korgroland View Post
1. Roland RD-300 back in 1991. (over $2000) I was a beginner, and thought it was good because it was expensive. Oops! Sounded like crap! But most keyboards did back then... Roland has actually redeemed themselves very well though

2. Windows Vista Dell PC.... Vista? enough said.

3. Presonus Firepod (firewire interface) - Pre amps were terrible, and the reliability was even worse.
Well, it was also a Dell, that's two strikes against it lol
Anyway, I have a Firepod that I got from my dad, that thing has been a tank for me and him, and he dragged it around to live gigs and to record different bands. The only problem I've had was the power switch connector inside slipping off the terminal. And he put the firewire cable in upsidedown by accident one time rendering the firewire chip inside useless and the firewire port unusable. What issues did you have?

To all posting, this thread has been quite educational for me as I start my journey to create a killer budget studio...and the lulz are great as well!
Old 6th November 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin View Post

Did you mean JX-8P and PG-800? You said it was in 1985, and 8P replaced 3P by then. JX-3P's filter is great. JX-8P's filter sucks.

My worst: A Zoom 505. I was a broke-ass kid with a Squier guitar at the time. Second worst is the Ibanez CF7 chorus/flange. Traded it for a Bad Monkey which I later sold.
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd View Post

Did you mean JX-8P and PG-800? You said it was in 1985, and 8P replaced 3P by then. JX-3P's filter is great. JX-8P's filter sucks.
JX8P was never meant to "replace" the 3P

Like the Jupiter 6 was not meant to replace the jupiter 8

Or the Juno 106 was not meant to replace the 60

Two different animals.

JX8P's filter do not "suck", they are tricky to use, like in the MKS70.

But once you know the beast, it's rather impressive what you can do. Can be real violent in fact
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duelisis View Post
JX8P was never meant to "replace" the 3P

Like the Jupiter 6 was not meant to replace the jupiter 8

Or the Juno 106 was not meant to replace the 60

Two different animals.

JX8P's filter do not "suck", they are tricky to use, like in the MKS70.

But once you know the beast, it's rather impressive what you can do. Can be real violent in fact
8P came around the same time 3P and both Jupiter keyboards were discontinued.

You are right about JP-6, being a complement to JP-8.

Maybe "suck" is a harsh word, but I definitely prefer the IR3109 (in my SH-101 and as 80017A in MKS-30) over the IR3R05 (in my Alpha Juno and MKS-80 rev. 5). And actually, I got a great analog choir out of the Alpha Juno using the resonance and the Alpha's unique waveforms.
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
8P came around the same time 3P and both Jupiter keyboards were discontinued.

You are right about JP-6, being a complement to JP-8.

Maybe "suck" is a harsh word, but I definitely prefer the IR3109 (in my SH-101 and as 80017A in MKS-30) over the IR3R05 (in my Alpha Juno and MKS-80 rev. 5). And actually, I got a great analog choir out of the Alpha Juno using the resonance and the Alpha's unique waveforms.
We have obviously common passions.I love my Alpha. I had a SH09 and I've been robbed of it unfortunately. Still have the MC202.

The MKS 80 is one of the best synth I know.

I'm not that of a fan of the JX8P, that said. But I love my MKS7O. slightly different beast as well.
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Head

Guys, we should seriously make an "angry video game nerd"-version regarding useless studio gear!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search