The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Worst gear purchase?
Old 12th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
Bbout 3 years ago (maybe more) I bought an EHX hum debugger ... what a total piece of ****
I've tried a few hum debuggers / noise gates / hum eliminators. I tried a box by Ebtech and an ISP Noise Decimator Pedal. They aren't ideal for studio use, because the hum is still there. It simply cuts off / gates the noise during quiet moments. They also mess up sustain and tone.

I'm trying an Isolation Transformer next.
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

MS Windows.

I could probably have married another wife in a foreign country, had three kids with her and have been able to teach them all how to be great classical pianists with the time I've wasted over the years trying to run this POS OS and anything under it.

The world's loss.... And mine. F U Bill Gates. No wonder you gave up software for philanthropy.
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
MS Windows.

I could probably have married another wife in a foreign country, had three kids with her and have been able to teach them all how to be great classical pianists with the time I've wasted over the years trying to run this POS OS and anything under it.

The world's loss.... And mine. F U Bill Gates. No wonder you gave up software for philanthropy.
To be honest, any computer is only as good as the maintenance provided to it. I've used XP, 7, OSX, Lion and they're much of a muchness and when all kept only crash in the same sort of scenarios. Read/write issues, program crashes, driver issues and memory issues.

It's marketing that makes Macs "the" multimedia computer company. Apple, at this stage, is largely a mobile phone company.
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
MS Windows.
the problem is probably between the chair and the keyboard.
Old 16th January 2012
Gear Maniac

M-Audio Axiom 25... loved the keybed but WTF endless rotaries that require 3 full rotations for a 0-127 sweep!!! I returned it and got an Oxygen 25... no complaints at all!

As far as gear I still own?

my Novation ZeRO SL MK2

I love it to bits but I just don't have the time or patience to map it all out for my exact needs... touchAble+Lemur app pretty much replaced the need for it.
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

I bought scarabee funk guitar from native instruments last year. It's pretty awful. I think I had a coupon. Still not worth it.
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv View Post
Lol +10000

Regards,
Frank
Old 16th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Teenage Engineering OP-1
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, no, I probably have one of the best-maintained systems out there, all well understood.

I'd rather be doing other things though, and maintaining an MS computer is really a massive waste of time. Even under the best of circumstances.

Apple is in slightly better shape at the moment due to its foundations in UNIX and freeBSD, but with Lion OSX is also on the way to becoming bloat ware as well.

Both have a long ways to go before being really optimally 64-bit OSes as well.

So yeah: computers: still crap.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, no, I probably have one of the best-maintained systems out there, all well understood.

I'd rather be doing other things though, and maintaining an MS computer is really a massive waste of time. Even under the best of circumstances.

Apple is in slightly better shape at the moment due to its foundations in UNIX and freeBSD, but with Lion OSX is also on the way to becoming bloat ware as well.

Both have a long ways to go before being really optimally 64-bit OSes as well.

So yeah: computers: still crap.
you never told us what's your problem actually is.

I don't maintain my Windows XP other than NOT installing software I will never use.

No optimizations, no tricks-and-tips applied, no complicated partitioning... nothing. And it works.
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Nut

My list...

1. Imac - crashed constantly and I found the command structure to be irrational and cumbersome. I guess I'm too left brain...
  2. Tascam 428 - FSK bled thru to other tracks (no the signal wasn't too hot), recording deteriorated with each playback
  3. Beringer EQ - fried and took my compressor with it
  4. Yamaha 01X - good unit but Yamaha will not update drivers so it's a useless piece of junk.
  5. Yamaha AW16G - decent recorder but menu driver interface on small lcd screen is awkward and some of the routing is quirky.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandersd View Post
  1. Yamaha 01X - good unit but Yamaha will not update drivers so it's a useless piece of junk.
I don't understand how drivers not being updated transform a good unit into useless piece of junk. Old drivers cease working?
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
I don't understand how drivers not being updated transform a good unit into useless piece of junk. Old drivers cease working?
The last drivers written were for XP. They don't work with Win 7.
Old 27th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Maschine

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Gearslutz.com
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBonds View Post
Teenage Engineering OP-1
Can you go into detail about that .... as I can´t hold off buying one anymore, I think its overpriced but I can justify it as its under a grand and I can afford it ..
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

Neve 8078

Ok, just seeing if anyone is paying attention....
Old 28th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
1) Genelec 1031As - ruined my life for 2 years. they have a HUGE soft spot around the crossover point, right where compressor smack usually is.. the top end is way too processed.. the low end always sounds the same. USELESS. then i got an annoying intermittent crackle in one of mine which the repair guys couldn't find.. months of frustration followed... they finally pissed me off to the point that i ran some 40Hz from a sequential pro one at max volume until it blew. it made a wonderful whistling sound when the amp finally let go. I cheered..

2) mackie 32/8 - can't pass signal in any form without damaging it irreparably

3) ultimate support speaker stands - too light & the ABS plastic tops are murder.. worst sounding speaker stands ever.

4) AKG C414 B-ULS - fits in perfectly with the soft crossover point of the 1031s. useless.

5) powermac 7100/66 - worst midi timing in history

6) lexicon nuverb TDM board - software NEVER worked right ever.

7) Logic Audio - way back when I tried to switch from Studiovision to Logic... I hated the environments.. i hated the 8000 different screens.. i hated the horrible manual.. i hated how much it slowed me down.. it hated my opcode studio 4. never again

8) dbx 1066 - comp/lim/gate, hard knee, soft knee.. no matter how you set it, it just sucks

9) joe meek SC2.2 - i was looking for a cheap replacement for the SC2 i sold when i needed cash. it didn't have the SC2's magic.. in fact I never got one decent sound out of it ever. HORRIBLE. the original SC2 is a thing of beauty on a drum buss BTW.

10) langevin el-op - NOT an LA-3A

11) TT patchbay - don't ask me how many connections I soldered.. used the wrong cable.. ****ty connectors.. ****ty bays.. dust magnet.. wasted way too much time and money just to cause myself endless headaches... arrrrrgh.

12) dbx TT patchbay - waste of $50.. plastic connectors.. bad solder joints.. how can you screw up a patchbay? dbx did.

13) drawmer 1960 - vintage dark.. you're better off sticking cotton in your ears.. it's about the same sound.

14) rev 2 Prophet-5 - took 3 days to come into tune.. think about tuning 2 floyd roses in series and you'll begin to approach the level of frustration i had. sounded GORGEOUS when it came into tune tho... best synth i've ever heard. unusable 90% of the time. oh, and the knobs only have usable settings between 4-6... who ever set the taper on em should be shot.

15) line 6 echo pro - ****ty emulations of popular delays.. great if you want everything to sound like old 80s foggy digital. USELESS.

i'm not bitter.

This is just silly. Presumably you did not achieve your desired goal which, presumably, was to sound like xyz band or artist. Now I am left wondering if it was the Indian and not the arrow in this case.

Why is there never a caveat such as - I could not get t his gear to sound right, good or otherwise. This, at least, would be honest. Always blame the gear, this way you never have to face your own personal limitations. Also, presumably, after dumping all this terrible gear and buying all new great gear you were able to produce astonishingly good music that has been charting like there is no tomorrow. Which artists are those? At least this would quell my suspicions.
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Addict

Mackie 24/8. Truely aweful. As if that wasn't bad enough, I replaced it with a D8B . That is officially the stupidest thing I've ever done
Old 3rd February 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Easy Mackie big knob ..turns out I was the big knob! Sigh ..

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Gearslutz.com
Old 3rd February 2012
Here for the gear

Flextone III amplifier by Line6. Loved my POD 2.0 but in amp form a real disappointment.
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

Agree regarding the Flextone III - That amp is a horrid mess.

I bought one used - I went to return it and they had a used duo-verb (which they stopped making) that they offered me for next to nothing.

That amp is actually working quite well, and suited my needs. Sounds considerably better

It is for the sound variance to be so wide as the core DSP and I would imagine the power amps etc would be the same or very similar. Line6 gear is VERY hit or miss IMO

-Lex
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

Krk rp6.
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

ive got a big nob...
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuG3nda View Post
Can you go into detail about that .... as I can´t hold off buying one anymore, I think its overpriced but I can justify it as its under a grand and I can afford it ..
Too many technical issues and creative limitations for me personally.

All Discussions - OhPeeWon.com unofficial OP-1 forums

It's all there. Someone is selling another one...big surprise.
Old 25th February 2012
Here for the gear
1. Yamaha 2020 compressor
2. Shure PG 56.

They manage to make anything sound..... well, not the way it´s supposed to .
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Krk rp6.
+6
Amen!! Total mud. People actually think those things are decent???
Old 22nd July 2012
Gear Head

Maschine
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Others View Post
Maschine
Blasphemy!!! I love my Maschine! hahahaha

Also got me Komplete Ultimate 8 for 250 bucks... hahaha
Old 23rd July 2012
Gear Maniac

i bought an 8 in guillemot isis at cash converters for $40. doesn't work with win xp, vista or 7 only win 95 + mebe 98

bah
Old 24th July 2012
Gear Maniac

artist control......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search