The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Worst gear purchase?
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Latest i bought was a TC 350 OTB reverb unit...it sounded and felt like razer blades in my ears, not one of the presets sounded usable for recording otb nor could i dial one in...I sold it on ebay for a big loss
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

Alesis 3630, back in my noob days. I had a DOD compressor that sounded better than that worthless piece.
Old 12th December 2011
Here for the gear

uad-2 satellite quad

just bought this today, has caused me five hours of heartache and frustration so far. One instance of a uad-2 plugin increase cpu load into the red where before with about 20 native waves plug ins it was in idle. and this piece of crap is supposed to handle all the processing externally secondly it causes horrific latency, top snare with a uad-2 plugin sounds like a flam when dry bottom head is turned on. this piede of **** cost me 1500 euro. my waves classics collection was a great purchase sounds great and worked flawlessly read all the pr bull from this company and i am not a happy customer
thirdly i am getting a weird midi honk note when i put any uad-2 plugin on a big mix i have. like i said i run loads of native waves stuff and duende on my macbook pro 2006 on logic, never so much as a glitch. this overpriced piece of hyped up crap just does not do what it is supposed to. does not work on the firewire 800 port does, does not work on the 400 port just very badly sends my motu traveler into cardiac arrest which worked pretty much flawlessly for five years. piece of crap imo. if i cannot get a big improvement tomorrow this is going straight back up uad's arse
Old 13th December 2011
Here for the gear

my bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentmack37 View Post
just bought this today, has caused me five hours of heartache and frustration so far. One instance of a uad-2 plugin increase cpu load into the red where before with about 20 native waves plug ins it was in idle. and this piece of crap is supposed to handle all the processing externally secondly it causes horrific latency, top snare with a uad-2 plugin sounds like a flam when dry bottom head is turned on. this piede of **** cost me 1500 euro. my waves classics collection was a great purchase sounds great and worked flawlessly read all the pr bull from this company and i am not a happy customer
thirdly i am getting a weird midi honk note when i put any uad-2 plugin on a big mix i have. like i said i run loads of native waves stuff and duende on my macbook pro 2006 on logic, never so much as a glitch. this overpriced piece of hyped up crap just does not do what it is supposed to. does not work on the firewire 800 port does, does not work on the 400 port just very badly sends my motu traveler into cardiac arrest which worked pretty much flawlessly for five years. piece of crap imo. if i cannot get a big improvement tomorrow this is going straight back up uad's arse
okay just did a bit more goggling and sorted most of my woes, so the worst gear purchase is not the uad-2 satellite quad which is working nicely now thanks to a few simple adjustments in logics audio preferences menu, but more likely the three cans of heinkeken I bought out of excitement of my new purchase, peace out
Old 25th December 2011
Gear Addict

Monotribe.
Damn ribbon.

And kaossilator. Outgrew it in 3 months -_-
Old 25th December 2011
Gear Head

I have gone through a LOT of crappy gear. But I have only really regretted a few things. Most of that crappy gear is just stuff I outgrew. Still not done outgrowing things either I guess. I just got rid of a Neumann TLM 103 because it was finally just not doing anything for me anymore.

Stuff I completely regretted buying:

-MXL 4000 (sounded like a toy) I actually traded a Cascade Victor mic for that thing and I really regretted that. I was naive.

-Monoprice audio cables. They are pretty cheap but also pretty crappy.

-Presonus FirePod - Sorry I know a lot of people use them but as soon as I got it I knew I was going to have to keep searching for a different interface. Sounded flat, dead, icy, whatever. I just couldn't stand it.
Old 25th December 2011
Lives for gear

Alesis 1622 mixer. Craptastic! The only useful thing about that mixer was that it taught me people who write magazine reviews are clueless numbnuts.
Old 26th December 2011
Gear Head

Alright then , here we go....
1, MOTU 24io..piece of s**t, after i got a full black lion mod ...still crap!
what the hell got into me i could get 24 pristeen in/out converters in a 1u box!duh

2 Mackie 24 8 bus ..sh*te

3 soundcraft spirit 32 as above

got some more but this is depressing me. although it made me work harder!
Old 27th December 2011
Gear Nut

Sonar X1 hands down.
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoifbysea View Post
Sonar X1 hands down.
+10000000

With each passing version Sonar falls deeper into an abyss...

I'm still at 8.5. I bought X1 and have found it unusable for any kind of professional work. That's the last $100 Cakewalk will ever get from me.

Regards,
Frank
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoifbysea View Post
Sonar X1 hands down.
???

what is wrong with x1 ?
Old 27th December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherwrd View Post
I just got rid of a Neumann TLM 103 because it was finally just not doing anything for me anymore.
I use this mic constant on acoustic guitar, never fells me. Not a good vocal mic thought.
Hey I bought it MINT for 300.00, can you blame me for keeping it ?
Old 28th December 2011
AKAI MPC2500 - I wanted to replace my old Akai S3200 with something new and maybe portable to integrate into my live-setup.
But the MPC and me just weren't a match (don't like the sound of it, I know, it's a sampler but I really like the sound of the old Akai better. And the effects of the MPC aren't that great either).
Now I have a huge midi-pad-controller (the MPC) and the S3200 (for sampling)...
I can't sell the MPC yet because I have to look at it everyday for a little bit longer just to remind me, how stupid I was to buy it in the first place.
Old 2nd January 2012
DIGI 003

Did upgrade from 001 for software support reason. AD converters are telephone. DA is fine when clocked but bit low-end boosted. Depth is better then 001 but new converters did their completely another level work... no support for 96khz ADDA? This is stupid for 1000EUR interface. Pres are not good enough as advertised and after one year there are 2 new versions of Pro Tools.. WTF? I could stay 001 and buy just a converter and PT9 and stay PCI almost zero latency and great stability. They are marketers only. This is why so much hate on AVID. This is why they did change their name.
Old 2nd January 2012

Last edited by Anghello; 2nd January 2012 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: double post
Old 2nd January 2012
Stg
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
Alright then , here we go....
1, MOTU 24io..piece of s**t, after i got a full black lion mod ...still crap!
what the hell got into me i could get 24 pristeen in/out converters in a 1u box!duh

2 Mackie 24 8 bus ..sh*te

3 soundcraft spirit 32 as above

got some more but this is depressing me. although it made me work harder!
i have 2 32.8 buses and i love them for live reinforcement.

worst mixer i bought was the behringer 24 channel 4 bus mixer.... 50 wasted
Old 2nd January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghello View Post
DIGI 003

Did upgrade from 001 for software support reason. AD converters are telephone. DA is fine when clocked but bit low-end boosted. Depth is better then 001 but new converters did their completely another level work... no support for 96khz ADDA? This is stupid for 1000EUR interface. Pres are not good enough as advertised and after one year there are 2 new versions of Pro Tools.. WTF? I could stay 001 and buy just a converter and PT9 and stay PCI almost zero latency and great stability.
001 doesn't works with pt9.
So you would have to buy another interface anyway.
Cheers.
Old 2nd January 2012
Gear Maniac

Two ADATs. They got me through two projects - barely. They developed quite a taste for fresh tape. I had them serviced regularly and they would still chow down on a tape every few days.

For that matter, most Alesis gear I bought years ago has all crapped out. Just about any other piece of gear I've bought over the last 20 years still works just fine.
Old 3rd January 2012
Stg
Gear Head

forgot to add alesis MEQ230.
noisiest eq imaginable and most of the faders didnt work
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghello View Post
DIGI 003

Did upgrade from 001 for software support reason. AD converters are telephone. DA is fine when clocked but bit low-end boosted. Depth is better then 001 but new converters did their completely another level work... no support for 96khz ADDA? This is stupid for 1000EUR interface. Pres are not good enough as advertised and after one year there are 2 new versions of Pro Tools.. WTF? I could stay 001 and buy just a converter and PT9 and stay PCI almost zero latency and great stability. They are marketers only. This is why so much hate on AVID. This is why they did change their name.
I sometimes wish I still had my 001. It was rock solid on Win98. And it never gave me trouble, even on the first 900mhz computer I built for it.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Gearslutz.com
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

I wonder if anyone has done a spreadsheet on this topic for these brands and models?
Regret Trends sites recurring names like Focusrite, M-Audio, Digidesign, Yamaha, Korg.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Alesis M1 Active 520 monitors....I got a pair (the only way they're sold) several years ago and one of them is already busted, does nothing but make this strange noise that causes the speaker to overload itself.
Old 9th January 2012
restpause
1) Beat Thang Virtual

No multiple outputs. Crashes in every DAW. Renders to WAV at extremely slow speeds. Proprietary sound format. Tricky to install. Weak support.

2) MOTU BPM

Takes up way too much hard drive space. Crashes a lot. Only renders to 16-bit 44.1 khZ. Limited sounds in proprietary format. Poor default MIDI mapping. Stammers a lot. iLok bullsh*t. Not worth the price.

Poise was a much better buy and cost less than 1/4 of the price of BPM.
Old 10th January 2012
Here for the gear

Presonus Firepod - went through three of the damn things and two clients trying to get a click/glitch/crash free recording. One of the three had an astonishing amount of manufacturing faults - I remember getting to issue 33 in my first complaint email. The benefit was I got angry enough to spend more cash than I could afford at that time (given the work I'd lost) on an RME Fireface 800 which has been my right arm ever since. The Firepod is complete garbage, in my experience.
Old 10th January 2012
Yamaha 01X...

crappy preamps, crappy workflow, M-Lan ( need I say more )...

When the thing worked, it worked badly... and it mostly didn't work... I went though 5 or 6 FW cards to try and make this POS steady and usable and sold it after two weeks.
And M-lan was supposed to replace midi and asio somehow... yeah right...
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

Hosa patchbay cables. Half of them were broken out of the bag and the rest were not far behind
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Midiman Midisport 8x8. Had so many problems with it had the support guy on speed dial. Company was bought by m-audio which managed to take a terrible product and give it even less support than before. Glad that finally died and I replaced it with a decent MOTU unit that has been rock solid.

Second place was my General Instruments synth. What was I thinking???? It really is comforting to know that you could buy a product that has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever and it is so bad that even selling it was not an ethical option. I gave it away and still felt guilty!

Ken
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Nut

Triple Dat by creamware.......nice sounding card at the time ....cost me 1200 uk pounds in 1990 and now its dead as a dodo!
Old 12th January 2012
Here for the gear

Trying to use a PowerBook and Digital Performer as a live keyboard rig on a U.S. tour in 2004. I REALLY thought the technology was there... Of course it was no where close.

-There is nothing more awesome than trying to fix driver errors, in the middle of a set, with your band and a thousand fans wondering why you aren't playing your parts.
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Bbout 3 years ago (maybe more) I bought an EHX hum debugger ... what a total piece of ****

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search