The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Worst gear purchase?
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
THE Tay Zonday?
Yeah, really. I was thinking the same thing.
Old 3rd June 2010
Lives for gear

not useless - just useless for me!

I've never had gear that I thought was garbage but I have bought things that ended up being useless purchases.

Trigger Finger - I bought this to enter drum parts and after using it once, I remembered my old Roland R-5 drum machine, dug it out of mothballs and have been using that ever since! I liked the feeling of the R-5 more for some reason. The trigger finger was an impulse buy and it sits, basically unused still in its box.

Behringer Bcr2000 - I have the Bcf2000 (fader) and it works great. I bought this based on how much I love the Bcf and still have not found anything I can use this for! All the knobs looked great but I still have no practical use for it! I've tried to program it with Sonar using Sonar's ACT thing where it's supposed to make it easier to program plug ins and stuff using a controller but 8 versions later and Sonar (based on what I've read on the message board) still doesn't have ACT functioning anywhere near what they've promised so long ago so it just complicates things and makes the Bcr more useless to me. Same thing as the trigger finger. It sits unused in its box.

A reprieve for the Digitech Vocalist II - I bought this years and years ago. Never could get convincing harmonies out of it and mothballed it for a long time. Eventually I took it out of mothballs and realized that if I tried to use it for effects and crazy vocal stuff instead of trying to get harmonies out of it (what it was intended for!) it's actually a fun little device and good for getting creative and strange things out of vocals!

The only real waste of money I've seen - but it wasn't mine (and I'll probably get flamed for this!) are Mac computers.

I was music director for a show that toured 8 months out of the year. On the first year of the show they had 13 macs backstage running the lighting, video, web streaming and everything and they just couldn't handle it. They were constantly locking up, crashing, freezing - everything Steve Jobs and mac fanboys claim they never do! Within 3 months of the beginning of the tour the tech director dumped all 13 macs and replaced them with PCs. The PCs did the job perfectly for the rest of the tour! I music directed that tour for 3 years straight, 8 months each year and up to my last tour it was still the same PCs chugging along running the entire show. Not that a hiccup here and there never popped up but if it did, the tech director could send a guy out to staples to get a part to fix it and have it up before showtime. In the end, based on seeing that first hand I'll never own a mac. Or as the tech director said, "Macs are only stable if you don't move them!" And before the mac fanboys attack me, this isn't a tour of kids in a van. It was a multi-million dollar tour with tractor trailers, full staging, lighting and a video production crew as well. The macs were encased in these fantastic road cases/racks that were built custom for them from the ground up and shock mounted here in NYC. I'm sure macs are great computers but hearing the tech guys backstage freak out as the macs systematically crashed or locked up taking the video or lighting with them put the fear of Steve Jobs in me! hahaha..

Besides, I have no PC or MAC brand loyalty. I love Commodore!
Old 3rd June 2010
Gear Head

Behringer Stereo Line mixer. Not even good for utility monitoring. Sounded bad to begin with, then a year later started getting buzzing on different channels. The funny part is, when I would mute the offending channel, the buzzing would get LOUDER!
Old 4th June 2010
Gear Nut

Lexicon Studio "professional harddisk recording system"

1) hard to get working at all from the beginning (driver issues)
2) no chance to get any driver updates from Lexicon for more recent windows operating systems, let alone the C-source code of the drivers (to rewrite the drivers)
3) expensive

Lexicon apparently just drops products and lets its customers hang in the air. Not my idea of customer support for professional devices. This was my first and last Lexicon product I ever bought.

Old 5th June 2010
Yamaha Rev 7

Stinky poo reverb sound.

Bought a Lex 200 in 1984 and it had white noise at the output. Sent it back to Lexicon and they sent it back to me with a note saying: "No fault found"

What are they listening through, a wall of Sonex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltemi View Post
[B]

Lexicon apparently just drops products and lets its customers hang in the air. Not my idea of customer support for professional devices. This was my first and last Lexicon product I ever bought.
Old 5th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I was music director for a show that toured 8 months out of the year. On the first year of the show they had 13 macs backstage running the lighting, video, web streaming and everything and they just couldn't handle it. They were constantly locking up, crashing, freezing - everything Steve Jobs and mac fanboys claim they never do! Within 3 months of the beginning of the tour the tech director dumped all 13 macs and replaced them with PCs. The PCs did the job perfectly for the rest of the tour! I music directed that tour for 3 years straight, 8 months each year and up to my last tour it was still the same PCs chugging along running the entire show. Not that a hiccup here and there never popped up but if it did, the tech director could send a guy out to staples to get a part to fix it and have it up before showtime. In the end, based on seeing that first hand I'll never own a mac. Or as the tech director said, "Macs are only stable if you don't move them!" And before the mac fanboys attack me, this isn't a tour of kids in a van. It was a multi-million dollar tour with tractor trailers, full staging, lighting and a video production crew as well. The macs were encased in these fantastic road cases/racks that were built custom for them from the ground up and shock mounted here in NYC. I'm sure macs are great computers but hearing the tech guys backstage freak out as the macs systematically crashed or locked up taking the video or lighting with them put the fear of Steve Jobs in me! hahaha..

Besides, I have no PC or MAC brand loyalty. I love Commodore!
The problem was probably in the software versions and OS versions that were running.

I've toured with 2 macs for almost 5 years, and they have never given me trouble. Conversely, my good friend that toured with a PC rig had to ditch it for a Mac after lots of issues. He's been using his Mac happily for about 3 years now

The only Mac issues I've ever seen have been after updating the OS or failing to/too quickly updating a piece of software. People should always be wary of the versions they're running, regardless of Mac/PC. Computers can be fickle if you're not careful.
Old 5th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
The problem was probably in the software versions and OS versions that were running.

I've toured with 2 macs for almost 5 years, and they have never given me trouble. Conversely, my good friend that toured with a PC rig had to ditch it for a Mac after lots of issues. He's been using his Mac happily for about 3 years now

The only Mac issues I've ever seen have been after updating the OS or failing to/too quickly updating a piece of software. People should always be wary of the versions they're running, regardless of Mac/PC. Computers can be fickle if you're not careful.
Definitely possible. I was just a bystander so for all I know, the entire tech department could have just been unfamiliar with MACs as I would assume you can get a bad Mac but it'd be odd for all of them to be exhibiting problems.

Plus it's not the greatest environment, period, to be running computers. Plenty of residue from all the fog machines on stuff, and the dodgy electric in some (so-called) professional venues - who always lied about the amperage they could provide! One venue in Pittsburgh, I think, lied about their electric set up and the show blew some kind of a transformer and blacked out the venue. They ended up running all sorts of electric cabling from an adjacent Marriott hotel to get things up and running again! I'm sure that kind of stuff doesn't do wonders for a computer's stability...

Frank
Old 5th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberizer View Post
FMR AUDIO RNC

I know that many ppl love it but I still cannot understand why. It all starts with this famous sentence from the manual:

"Hooking up the RNC to balanced lines with TRS 1/4'' plugs will not work! If the equipment you are connecting the RNC to is balanced, you must first unbalance it and only connect into the RNC with TS 1/4'' plugs."

So... it does not accept a balanced signal, only unbalanced, what kind of crap is that? And the sound? I remember testing the unit with a friend. We had both heard lots of good things about it, but when we plugged it in, we were just looking at each other like WTF????
To each their own when it comes to sound (I like the RNC), but the issue is the TRS plugs on the RNC are designed for receiving a stereo signal, not a balanced mono signal. And, like any other unbalanced piece of gear, it doesn't accept balanced audio, only unbalanced.
Old 5th June 2010
- Alesis Masterlink
- Korg Triton rack mount
- ipod nano- 2nd gen
- Any Windows based PC
- Digitech Vocalizer
- EMU Virtuoso 2000 (although they made a lot of ****ty modules)
- Roland JV-1080
- Kork rack mount line mixer
- Hercules mic stands
- Hosa Cabling
- Alesis D-4
- Kurzweil 2500 XS
- Korg reverb (circa 1986)
- Monster cabling
- Big Friggin Drums version 1 (never got it to work)
- MOTU Mach V sampler (worst software ever!)
- Virtually anything Opcode- OMS was a real nightmare as was the editor for the Studio 5, a great innovative company that got close but no cigar.
- T.C. Electronics Finalizer 96kHz- more like the crapalizer- returned to GC for full refund-whew!
Old 6th June 2010
Hercules mic stands? I have like 8 of their heavy duty ones and I've never had a single issue. Rock solid, the squeeze and lift mechanism is wonderful. The only thing is the creep/sag if extended too far with a mic of too much weight.... which is a problem with many stands.
Old 6th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by You_Father_Sky View Post
Hercules mic stands? I have like 8 of their heavy duty ones and I've never had a single issue. Rock solid, the squeeze and lift mechanism is wonderful. The only thing is the creep/sag if extended too far with a mic of too much weight.... which is a problem with many stands.
I have issues with the boom sagging- and does not tighten well, you cant swivel them- you have to turn the whole stand- and that stand leaves a pretty big footprint.
Old 21st July 2010
Gear Head

It's probably been mentioned already but if I could talk anyone out of buying a tc powercore then I would. Some great sounds but a piece of junk and TC customer support doesn't exist. Sometimes I think TC products are machines made by machines at "Skynet corporation". They don't respond like humans if at all.
Old 22nd July 2010
Gear Nut

my worst chain was

floor tom - c1000 - digital MPA - digi002

also

tascam vl-5a ( i used it at home)
yamaha 02R ( i don't like it at a music studio)
behringer eurorack ( i used to use it also at home)
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

This guy's only got 1 post, so you know it hurts!
I'm not sure how you could hate an ART mp pre, I mean it's like $30, use it for a drink holder if you're not happy. But I've read more than 1 person not happy with their Manley SLAM; yikes! Anything over $5k better make me so GOD when I plug it in.

My worst purchase? Roland GP16. I was young and excited, the GP8 was actually way better. I wish I just bought the 1x12 Mesa I saw in the corner that day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzonday View Post
Whisperroom sound booths.

Bought a 4'X6' for $7,000 shippped, stuffy and uninspiring to record in, sold it for $1 four months later because I was moving cross-country and it was bulky.

Bought another 3.5'X3.5' for $4,000 shipped, worse than the first, when I moved again it sat in a friend's garage for 6 months until he got $800 for it on Craigslist.

Both were anxiety purchases due to living in apartments where I couldn't freely make noise . . . and not seeing any immediately better living options.

Sound booths basically suck for anything besides voice-over or recording on an airport tarmac. They do not convert a living space that is hostile to loud music-making into a safe or creative envrionment. I spent more than $10,000 learning that
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

My pc. Custom built. Started at a $500 estimate. Got it in my studio after 2k. For 2k the used mac I would have right now would decimate all....
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

ART MPA Gold!
Old 31st July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
ART MPA Gold!
Why? I found after I upgraded mine it became a pleasure to use, it was however lacking in the gain dept though.
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by You_Father_Sky View Post
Why? I found after I upgraded mine it became a pleasure to use, it was however lacking in the gain dept though.
I upgraded the tubes in mine to NOS Telefunken and NOS GE 5 star.
I found the MPA Gold to be the noisiest preamp I've owned or tried!
Old 31st July 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus enochson View Post
any form of MO drive - lost so much nice samples on theese ones.

jaz drives are the most unreliable, and the unmentionable 128/230 mb format really sux... ez drives sux too...

markus enochson

There should have been a class action lawsuit for those stupid JAZ drives. I lost 5 out of 7 discs worth of samples that were the foundation of a ton of songs. I found my invoice for my original one and got a great deal - $400 for a 1GB drive, just for the drive. Click, click, click.
Old 31st July 2010
Gear Addict

Worst gear purchase?

Easy. Focusrite penta. Awful thing.
Give it a go, it will make you sound ****e....
Old 31st July 2010
Gear Maniac

I don't get the hate for the c1000s either, I love mine.

I paid big bucks for an ADAT xt20 back in the day. I never really got much use out of it. It is still in the rack in the back just collecting dust.
Old 2nd August 2010
Here for the gear

M-Audio Tampa Mic Pre Amp.... what was I thinking?
Old 2nd August 2010
Here for the gear

People who bitch about ADATs, Mackies, and Alesis 3630s are really saying:

I'm 15 and I've never recorded anything.

Go back to the CRAP we had before those two companies and you would perform illicit acts to get your hands on a beat-up black-face ADAT.

Unless you were in a top-studio, you lived with PA-grade mixers, cassette 4-tracks, $3,600 1/4 inch tape 8-tracks, and stomp boxes for compressors, and bad dynamic mics.

Would I want to record today with an ADAT or a 3630? No. But you have to understand where we were ... it was a bad time.
Old 2nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH45ACP View Post

Go back to the CRAP we had before those two companies and you would perform illicit acts to get your hands on a beat-up black-face ADAT.

Unless you were in a top-studio, you lived with PA-grade mixers, cassette 4-tracks, $3,600 1/4 inch tape 8-tracks, and stomp boxes for compressors, and bad dynamic mics.

Would I want to record today with an ADAT or a 3630? No. But you have to understand where we were ... it was a bad time.
True. There weren't that many affordable options at the time. But having worked with ADAT's (the black ones, not the new shiny XT20's), I feel that the transport mechanism on the Tascam's DA-88 or DA-98 was much superior.
But I have to agree with you. Not nearly as many choices as we do have now.
Old 2nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Roland VP9000 Variphrase Processor. It's absolutely crap and within a year or so it's chief function was being done better by a native DAW. Paid just under £2000 for it when it first hit the shelves and was changing hands for £500 within a year of owning it, wouldn't have minded if it was good but alas....

Line 6 Variax and Modelling amp... For some reason I thought that this combination would mean I've got ever guitar ever made AND every amp... What a knob!
Old 2nd August 2010
Lives for gear

TC Powercore Compact.... useless, just useless.
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Nut

+1 for FMR RNC compressordfegad
Old 2nd August 2010
Here for the gear

Focusrite OctoPre

Worst recommendation a Sweetwater tech ever gave me. And don't get me started on the ADAT expansion...
Old 10th August 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollit View Post
Soundscape daw.
Cost a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, lovely sound, very stable but the software is awful. Felt like I was using something from windows 95 era. Sold it and lost 700 quid
Strange the you people listen with your eyes. dfegad

There are alot of stuff that look horrible but sound good. I love these things.
Old 10th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH45ACP View Post

Right there with you. I was running a studio at the time (1993) the Black faces came out. They represented a quantum leap and the first time that Project studios could sonicly compete (all other things being equal). It was such an exciting time .....deposits and the like. Yes, yes, I paid 4,000 for a new black face ...but I was in heavan. I'll go against conventional wisdom and say that I could still make good recordings with an ADAT today. In it's day, it was THE deal. BTW - there is still garbage being made on bling-bling coverters and boutique preamps today, thus .....

Now ...on to the topic of the day ....
Worst gear purchase ....EVER....Yamaha TX816 Sampler in 1988 (paid 1,800)
It was a toy, should have known better. My bad. Got burned on that one, still stinging to this day.
cdlt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search