The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Worst gear purchase?
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

I really feel sorry I bought my Alpha VHD. Some people like this thing. Had I known better, I would have saved an extra $300 and bought 2 Sytek 4ch units, had 8 channels of awesome pres and never looked back.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
I really feel sorry I bought my Alpha VHD. Some people like this thing. Had I known better, I would have saved an extra $300 and bought 2 Sytek 4ch units, had 8 channels of awesome pres and never looked back.
hmmm, i have both the ssl and the sytek and love them both. to each his own, right?
Old 22nd March 2010
well, all my studio purchases have been aok for the most part. as a person who used to dj though... my worst purchase was the M-Audio Xponent. Gawd damit I paid out the nose for it (pre-ordered it) drivers were screwy with it for over a year. Had to have it replaced due to fault soldering from the manufacturer, the DA converter / audio interface in it sucks compared to competing products... no mic input at all, and worst of all... I never use it now.

Thinking of selling it.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Reading this thread I reckon there's a fair number of people that
a): decided their worst gear purchases based on the opinions of others who trash a product. Like sheep then more people decide it musn't be any good too, and so it continues whether or not the product deserves the bad rap.
b): or got a bad example of a product that may not be representative of that product in general
c): and some are probably average engineers who blame the tools for bad results when maybe they are not so adept at the job themselves
d): have decided something is no good based on one scenario of use, or used something on a source that it may not have been suited too, while being ideally suited to something else.

I shake my head at some of the comments where someone has dismissed a product as totally useless, when I myself and other people I know have had great results from those same products. There are some people on GS that are vastly experienced or knowledgable and whose opinions have real credence, but some others you really have to wonder where they are coming from.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear
the worst purchase i feel i made was 8 years ago for a digi002 i still have. back then it seemed like a good deal but if the ensemble was around i would of went with that. i have a lunchbox and rosetta and the digi002 is the only thing holding me back from a great stable system. stopped using protools le awhile back as it is out of date to me. moved to logic so looks like it may go on ebay and a fire wirecard in place and the rest to bills.
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

Hmmmm,
People won't like this, but, a Manley Slam.
Didn't work as well as what we already had. (No, I won't say.....I want to keep the cost down)
Mackie D8B. Nothing but annoying problems.
3 newer U87's. Just shrill and nasty.
Apogee AD16x. Sure was great until the emotional attachment because of the cost wore off. That's a tough thing to admit.
I'm really depressed about most of my emotional purchases.
Gonna go have a drink.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Mbox2 and Neumann TLM49.
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Ok, I'll play...
    1. One of the original Rode NT-2's (great idea, horrible capsule.)
    2. Technics SVDA-10 DAT deck (their version of a Panasonic 3700)... looked the same; didn't behave the same. It ate every-other master back in the day when you didn't have one on the HD.
    3. Roland U-110: Did anyone ever figure out how to use that freaking thing!
    4. Yamaha TG-33 (their attempt at vector synthesis, aka Korg Wavestation). There was only one sound on that thing worth using OR tweaking into something else useful. It basically just added to the array of lights in the studio, which is probably worth more than a single sound
Ok, that was probably one too many... this is a fun thread.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear
My firebox.

lol. Really, I find it terrible sounding...Oh well, I can use it for SMAART and
stuff.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

ouch...dark times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i once walked out of a music store with:

a blackface adat, 2 alesis 3630 compressors, a midiverb 3, and a mackie 1202.

no wonder i fell in love with valium.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

A laptop computer with internet, now I'm on GS all day instead of getting **** done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 30th March 2010
karma audio condenser mic... sounded like dung. only good thing about it was the nice wooden box it came in.
Old 30th March 2010
ditto on the Roland U-110. Geese, that thing was so noisy!
the yamaha tg-33 had one good sound as i remember it.

THE worst synth module i ever owned was a Yamaha FB-01.
It couldn't even make a believable fart sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott LaChapell View Post
Ok, I'll play...
    1. One of the original Rode NT-2's (great idea, horrible capsule.)
    2. Technics SVDA-10 DAT deck (their version of a Panasonic 3700)... looked the same; didn't behave the same. It ate every-other master back in the day when you didn't have one on the HD.
    3. Roland U-110: Did anyone ever figure out how to use that freaking thing!
    4. Yamaha TG-33 (their attempt at vector synthesis, aka Korg Wavestation). There was only one sound on that thing worth using OR tweaking into something else useful. It basically just added to the array of lights in the studio, which is probably worth more than a single sound
Ok, that was probably one too many... this is a fun thread.
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Head
I have used two cheap behringer products the mic100 and the shark for live vocal. and I am not satisfied at all. they are not usefull live and maybe nowhere. first, not sounding nice. it's lifeless or noisy at any setting and the tube preamp distorts and produces feedback. my wireless mic sounds better without these devices. sorry behringer, good prices but bad products.
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 View Post
Hmmmm,
Apogee AD16x. Sure was great until the emotional attachment because of the cost wore off. That's a tough thing to admit.
dont be ridiculous!!
Old 4th May 2010
Here for the gear

Roland 3030 D

Hi respected members, i've found the Roland 3030 d (digital version) very good as DAC, connected spdif from m-audio audiophile, the converters sound awesome!
Old 9th May 2010
Here for the gear

Whisperroom sound booths.

Bought a 4'X6' for $7,000 shippped, stuffy and uninspiring to record in, sold it for $1 four months later because I was moving cross-country and it was bulky.

Bought another 3.5'X3.5' for $4,000 shipped, worse than the first, when I moved again it sat in a friend's garage for 6 months until he got $800 for it on Craigslist.

Both were anxiety purchases due to living in apartments where I couldn't freely make noise . . . and not seeing any immediately better living options.

Sound booths basically suck for anything besides voice-over or recording on an airport tarmac. They do not convert a living space that is hostile to loud music-making into a safe or creative envrionment. I spent more than $10,000 learning that
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzonday View Post

Bought a 4'X6' for $7,000 shippped, stuffy and uninspiring to record in, sold it for $1 four months later because I was moving cross-country and it was bulky.

Bought another 3.5'X3.5' for $4,000 shipped, worse than the first, when I moved again it sat in a friend's garage for 6 months until he got $800 for it on Craigslist.

Both were anxiety purchases due to living in apartments where I couldn't freely make noise . . . and not seeing any immediately better living options.

Sound booths basically suck for anything besides voice-over or recording on an airport tarmac. They do not convert a living space that is hostile to loud music-making into a safe or creative envrionment. I spent more than $10,000 learning that
yeah, i also had two whisper rooms. where's the tylenol?
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Addict

fostex mr 8

fostex mr 8 multitrack recorder
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

useless

TC Electronics M350 rack reverb unit....flat brittle sound like a bad pancake, but I love my Alesis QuadraVerb
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Head

My worst gear purchase will be my next gear purchase.

I've got to stop! Please help me.
Old 13th May 2010
Gear Addict

old "Bedell" (aka noname) electric twelve string guitar off ebay without even knowing anything about it. didn't lose any cash on it and it was cheap, but man was that thing weird and frustrating. felt like playing a tree trunk.
Old 13th May 2010
Gear Addict

FMR AUDIO RNC

I know that many ppl love it but I still cannot understand why. It all starts with this famous sentence from the manual:

"Hooking up the RNC to balanced lines with TRS 1/4'' plugs will not work! If the equipment you are connecting the RNC to is balanced, you must first unbalance it and only connect into the RNC with TS 1/4'' plugs."

So... it does not accept a balanced signal, only unbalanced, what kind of crap is that? And the sound? I remember testing the unit with a friend. We had both heard lots of good things about it, but when we plugged it in, we were just looking at each other like WTF????
Old 13th May 2010
Least favorite gear purchase: Yamaha NS-10 studio speakers

Happy ending: KEF 103.2 speakers - much nicer and cheaper! We have bass, folks! We.... have.... BASS!
Old 13th May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzonday View Post

THE Tay Zonday?
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

Alesis DM5 kit
Hosa cables
Old 13th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbonello View Post
digitech rp-10

was about 14 when i got it, was a LOT of money for me at the time. terrible
You know, I did the SAME thing when I was a kid. I bought a Digitech RP-1 in 1991 and hated it.

But, I just re-purchased one used and it's the craziest lo-fi effect box ever. They are useless on getting good guitar sounds, but pretty interesting on some beats and vocals.
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

In my early years of audio I thigh I was gettng a great deal off eBay on a opcode studio 3 midi interface. I paid $20! After getting it with no power cable, the headache was trying to find drivers fo it which was pretty mch non existant. Needless to say it sat for about 2 years and I never even turned it on! I thankfully sold it on craigslist and put in the price column a 6 pack of dark beer and the guy misread it as $6 dollars and I took it bcause I was sick of looking at it!
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

Kind of a best/worst thing... I recorded lots of songs with this, and it sounded awful. But I just ran with it.

Old 26th May 2010
Gear Nut

Presonus Firestudio 2626, without a doubt.

If I could do it again, I'd either buy a MOTU 8pre, or saved up money and got the RME fireface 400.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search