Gear Addict

Behringer MX8000
Behringer Autocom
Behringer smaller mixers
Behringer...

-Box
Old 1st March 2010
Deleted User
bought a studio technologies 'mic-pre-emminence' and an AKG C3000 at the same time.. the mic pre was not right (very funny crackle distortion that happened before it would achieve -10 output going into Tascam DA88 (another great purchase)) studio technologies Blooooo meeee oooooffff I sold it as a fixer upper

I still have the mic..bought another for $75 bucks .. not bad for room mics after cost averaging
Old 1st March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Never seen anyone to non realtime on any project of fiscal value..... too dangerous. Gotta listen to EVERYTHING.

It's in my contracts with editors and mix engineers who work for me on our projects.
Yes, but there are times that you might want to use it.

For example, recently I had an hour long project I wanted to listen to on my ipod after work. I was doing it in pro tools, so the bounce took an hour. I didn't need to listen to the bounce as I was about to listen to it on my ipod. It wasn't the final version.

Sometimes you run out of processing power for a portion of the session (even in a grunty pro tools system, but more often in a lesser system, a laptop, or perhaps a VSL session or something), but with off line bounce all it takes is one button press and you can listen to it after the bounce. In Pro Tools this situation is a pain in the ass.

etc. Its not hard to think of other examples where it can be handy. Although I agree, of course you should listen to everything, and I think Pro Tools is great, but I do wish it had this option.

matt
Old 1st March 2010
Gear Head

Soundscape daw.
Cost a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, lovely sound, very stable but the software is awful. Felt like I was using something from windows 95 era. Sold it and lost 700 quid
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish11 View Post
digitech rp10 effects board,
i cannot believe that digital was even pursued when you listen to some of that first garbage,
though sometimes i still feel the same way
Nah, the older Boss stuff sounds decent through an amp. Its digitech! Their effects do almost nothing. Even worse is DOD. Haha the low end brand of the low end brand! You turn a knob and strain to hear what changed, usually its just the sound quality going from bad to worse. The reverb and delay pedals should read "mud" and "more mud" on the knobs. Don't even get me started on the EQ pedals that phase noticeably more than they boost or cut any frequency now at this point in your pedalboard chain your signal is just phasey noise, don't forget to run it through your knock off sonic minimizer! Oh yea, and their tomato sauce tastes like ketchup!
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne View Post
Don't worry boys and girls, it's all a bunch of crap, most of you will never be in the Beatles and have those screaming teenage girls chasing after you. That is why your "in the business", right ?? Groupies ????

Gee, if I only had "Blah, Blah Blah" I could be just like my favorite rock star, be rich and famous, wild parties, limo's........groupies......money.....

What a bunch of gold diggers.

All that expensive junk you bought don't mean nothing without a well written song. I've heard some really lousy music, that was so well produced, highly polished, "Blah Blah", but it sucked.....bigtime....on the otherhand, a great song sounds good even if recorded on a cassette machine.
WHOAAA BUDDY! You are definitely on the wrong website for that rant. GEAR and SLUTZ, thats what this place is all about! lol and being a troll in a cave, so I guess you fit in there.
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschuby View Post
Neumann TLM-103. Hands down, the worst purchase I ever made. Brittle, crappy sounding mic. Looked nice in the wooden box, though.

What were you using it on? Its really good for certain things, like small percussion (shakers, bongos, etc), whispering, anywhere that the body of the sound is in the density of the details. It is great as a room ambience mic or drum overheads, just keep in mind it takes in a really wide range of high freqencies, its good for adding detail, but not good for lower, smoother fundamental tones. Of course it sounds brittle if you sing rock vocals into it. It is made for crisp reproduction of airy, lightweight sounds. Works great on new age music for percussion and ambience mic'ing. Keep the gain to a minimum. I suggest you revisit this mic as a stereo ambience pair. A cheaper (slightly more noisy but similar timbre) option would be the Audio Technica 4033. Great mic, has a bit more bass and is a bit punchier (as opposed to airy and snappy like the TLM-103). You could mic a whole drum kit with a pair and it would sound world class if you can place them properly (for jazz/new age anyways).
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear

OK here it comes... the TLM-103 hate... Tired. Give it a rest. I'm sure there are plenty of people (including me) will will take that piece of junk off your hands, especially if you charge me what you think it's worth.
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear

I bought a digitech studio quad... and was fortunate that it failed a few months later, because only when I bought a cheap lexicon reverb did I realize just how terrible the digitech unit was!
Old 7th March 2010
Behringer Tube Composer. The tubes are there only so you can see it in the dark as far as i can tell.
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by big65pbass View Post
that alesis 3630 was purportedly built with the dbx 166 chip....i don't THINK so...... and one side never even worked on the one i bought.
It does have the dbx chip.

Lesson:

Just because two CONVERTERs use the same chip doesn't mean they sound the same.
Old 8th March 2010
Gear Nut

i think the only thing the 3630 ever "converted" was the sound of my 65 p bass into "ewwww...."
Old 8th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalad View Post
It does have the dbx chip.

Lesson:

Just because two CONVERTERs use the same chip doesn't mean they sound the same.
Neither unit actually has converters, but the DBX 166 sounds pretty crappy (heavy handed, smashes top end, and makes things fairly gritty/grainy in a bad way) and is undeserving of any real love given to it. I will have to admit being a real non-fan of most VCA comps in general, especially theirs. I hear the 3630 is also not great, but reserve comment as I have not used one.
Old 8th March 2010
Gear Addict
Tascam 2488......****
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear

A pair of unracked SSL brown EQ's. I've tried to get them racked up but its $1000 for the custom rack! They've been sitting in the studio for about 3 years and I ain't trying to spend that much money for a 2 channel rack!
Old 9th March 2010
yamaha magicstomp

what a piece of booboo.
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear

Bad tube preamps

ART Tube MP....that things sucks so hard....

and the dbx 366 Tube preamp was pretty bad too...
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
Nah, the older Boss stuff sounds decent through an amp. Its digitech! Their effects do almost nothing. Even worse is DOD. Haha the low end brand of the low end brand! You turn a knob and strain to hear what changed, usually its just the sound quality going from bad to worse. The reverb and delay pedals should read "mud" and "more mud" on the knobs. Don't even get me started on the EQ pedals that phase noticeably more than they boost or cut any frequency now at this point in your pedalboard chain your signal is just phasey noise, don't forget to run it through your knock off sonic minimizer! Oh yea, and their tomato sauce tastes like ketchup!
Spoken like a young whipper-snapper! Actually DOD, like Ross, started in the late 70s doing clones of Boss, Ibanez andMXR designs. Some of their analog boxes were pretty cool: the stereo delay is apparently the only one that opens up the low pass filter as you shorten the delay (so, on slap back, it's much brighter than most analog delays). I've got a rackmount delay they built (part of a series just before they went digital that included a spring reverb, delay and maybe chorus?) that sounds very good, includes modulation and a CV input. If you sourced it nowdays, it would cost $400 with those capabilities, so the $150 you find them for right now is a steal. I'd put the DOD choruses up against the Boss CE2 and the MXR stereo chorus any day.

Now when Digitech came along, oooh, bad. I had one of the original RP-1s for a few days. Not only harsh sound, and over the top effects, but it zippered when you tried to use a CV pedal. Completely useless! I think my most disappointing purchase, though, had to be a Cruise MQ4 amp. 100w, 4 channels plus piezo input, reverb, effects loops, variable power output from 4w-100, 8 button footswitch, toroidal transformer for low noise: on paper it had it all. It sounded BAD-noisy, unpleasant AND it broke down a lot. I was SO happy when I found someone who wanted it more than I did...
Old 9th March 2010
Here for the gear

I know this is going to sound strange but the worst thing that I ever bought was a MOTU 828MK2 USB. I was using in on a PC and it was brand new.
Just never got the thing to work right and the drivers sucked like hell. I even took the unit back to where I bought it from for a thorough going over.
CRAP! I was happy to see the back of it.
A week later I had a RME Fireface 400 and have been happy ever since!
I love my RME!
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear

Hootersound B1 - at that time I thought I'd give it a try, because the review was promising. AND I hadn't money for a real pre.
This thing was SO bad, it was even worse than a abysmal Yamaha 6-ch desk with unbalanced jack inputs for mics. Noise galore, grainy, shrill but dull sounding, the compression section jumpy, the gate closed you still got as much hiss.

HOOTER SOUND B1
Old 21st March 2010
Here for the gear

-Rode Nt5's- eeeeek

-Focusrite Liquid Mix between the headache of delay compensation and horrible sounding compressors Whats the point.

-Rode Ntk- Would have been useful if I put a blanket over it. The highs almost cut my head off.

-Akg C1000- I don't what the hell I was thinking.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Alesis ADAT Edit Card.

EffinSOBs.
Old 21st March 2010
I know a lot of people use them to good effect, but I was desperately unhappy with my KSM-32. it just had this unpleasant dull thickness to the sound that i couldn't EQ out no matter what.
I like and use my KSM 9 a lot though, which is supposedly the handheld version of that same mic.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Addict

i can't be too bummed on any crappy pre, crappy comp or crappy mic i've ever had.. they all had their place in the learning curve. However,

Adats were hell. chalk up 2-16 bits and a 20 bit for me, and money i wish i had back. waiting for the third machine to lock up? anyone that had to deal with that, knows what a crap piece of gear is really like.

i got a 1/2" fostex 16 track that prob saved me from quitting recording. (that thing, i wish i still had...) heh
Old 21st March 2010
Here for the gear

Fender Cyber Deluxe - traded a twin straight up for that piece of crap
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I bought a digitech studio quad... and was fortunate that it failed a few months later, because only when I bought a cheap lexicon reverb did I realize just how terrible the digitech unit was!
Hahaha!
I did the same thing!

It was only when I bought the low end Lexicon aLex unit that I discovered the difference and how awful the Digitech was.

I sold my Digitech though.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Sampletank 2 XL

I will not buy another IKMultimedia product...
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

worst for me was the behringer TT1953 ultragain, second was the alesis 3630. those were bought before i had gearslutz to aid in making better, more informed decisions.
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
OK here it comes... the TLM-103 hate... Tired. Give it a rest. I'm sure there are plenty of people (including me) will will take that piece of junk off your hands, especially if you charge me what you think it's worth.
My thoughts exactly! Some of the gear being listed on here I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'd definitely make good use out of some of the gear y'all are listing.
Old 22nd March 2010
-Yamaha HSM50s-I feel like I can mix better on my laptop speakers. At the very least the laptop speakers are a more enjoyable listen.

-MXL V67. I literally used this mic once.

-Cascade Fathead-What an over rated piece of junk. I haven't gotten anything usable out of the mic once. You really do get what you pay for.

-Crane Song Harmonic Saturation Plug-Ins-Really, Dave Hill. What were you thinking? How dare you make amazing stuff and then sell me something that does...well...nothing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search