The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Worst gear purchase?
Old 3rd August 2009
Here for the gear

boss "space echo in a pedal" thing. not quite.
audix d6... i'm sure it's the bee's knees for blink one eighty punk-clicky kick sounds but i'm just not digging it for musical kick sounds.
that mackie controller from a few years ago... i had it so short of a time i cant remember what it was called. seemed like the faders had arthritis.

enough negative
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post

There used to be a company called 'Earth' back in the 70's and their PA stuff was in the shop more than on stage.
I still have a Earth monitor with a 12" and tweeter, from 1974. After 10 years of use I replaced the speaker with an EV 12L2 and rebraced the corners. I still use it on occasion. It looks like crap now, but what would you expect from one of those after 35 years of somewhat constant use?
Old 3rd August 2009
Gear Addict

GML 8200 - cold as ice
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne View Post
Don't worry boys and girls, it's all a bunch of crap, most of you will never be in the Beatles and have those screaming teenage girls chasing after you. That is why your "in the business", right ?? Groupies ????

Gee, if I only had "Blah, Blah Blah" I could be just like my favorite rock star, be rich and famous, wild parties, limo's........groupies......money.....

What a bunch of gold diggers.

All that expensive junk you bought don't mean nothing without a well written song. I've heard some really lousy music, that was so well produced, highly polished, "Blah Blah", but it sucked.....bigtime....on the otherhand, a great song sounds good even if recorded on a cassette machine.
please chime in on this thread: we're having a tough time convincing the engineers that the music is the most important part of the studio process!

It ISN'T Just about the song.
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

reason - bought it because of the hype, but could never get into it.

charvelle acousticaster i bought in the 90's - tinny piece of crap.

NI hardcore bass - unusable for me in evey context i tried it

the "bass brace" gtr strap system that is based on a big uncomfortable velcro belt you strap around you waist. i was having some serious left shoulder problems after being on the road for nearly 10 years, so i tried this thing. was god awfully disturbing to play with , and i ended up punching buttons into the back of my 74 blonde tele and my (very expensive at the time) godin lgx-sa for no good reason. a crime!!
Old 3rd August 2009
Gear Maniac

Roland SP-808 "Groovesampler" in 1998 when it was just released. It was touted as the MPC-killer, and to be fair, the 2000 was getting really long in the tooth even then. However, the 4-track recording on it was totally unusable, and you couldn't actually make beats on it - the ZIP drive system was too slow to keep up with triggers from an external sequencer (no RAM!). ZIP was already a dead format pretty much when the 808 launched, anyway. I thought it would at least make a good live box, but the zip drive was right under the pads, and if you hit one of the pads too hard (easy to do in the excitement of performance), the entire thing went dead for anywhere from a few to 10 seconds or more while the drive freaked out.

Kept it around for the effects (amazing!) for years before dumping it.
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
reason - bought it because of the hype, but could never get into it.

Can I quote you in my signature? This is incredibly funny!
Old 27th October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicgarden View Post
AKG C 1000 S. The "S" stands for ****storm.
No it doesn't. And certainly I have rejected Neumanns and used the C1000 on voice & saxes - full & clean. I use Mackie mixers for live stage use, not recording - reliable and well built, ribbon cable problems understood. The Art MP and a Rode NT2 were used to prerecord weekly NPR opera and NewAge programs for 2 years - bought 'em at Mars - no complaints from listeners or talent.

"any DAT machine ever... what was THAT dark period ABOUT, Maaaan?"

For those of us who had to learn how to tape-record with pre-emphasis and Dolby, it was about recording without ANY hiss. The same goes for ADATs, suddenly, anyone could have 24 tracks of no-hiss digital!! All this hate for Behringer is silly, if every 19 year-old could have a Porsche, he would, but until then, there's Yugo and a manual.

Focus-****e is not competing with boutique preamps, just copying them without royalties, but I bet Geo Massenburg can get a good sound out of them. My WWind splitters have their transformers (TRSP-1) and they sound identical to my kit-built Jensen splitters, on Orchestra & Big Band.

Disappointing gear: 1998 Marantz CDR-15 recorder, now a $2,300 office playback machine - even Taiyo Yuden won't work. Apex 210 ribbon, wobbly mount, dull and transformer saturates & distorts. "On-stage" stands whose friction collars and threaded knobs (plastic) break under tension.
regds,
WalterT
Old 27th October 2009
Gear Head

Universal Audio LA 610..
Old 27th October 2009
Gear Nut

Neumann TLM-103. Hands down, the worst purchase I ever made. Brittle, crappy sounding mic. Looked nice in the wooden box, though.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Focusrite Liquid Channel

Ugh.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBStudioNut View Post
Universal Audio LA 610..
Really?
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Dempsey View Post
Really?
Probably because it doesn't do justice to the original, in some people's opinions. Still a great pre, at least in my experience.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have 2 and I swear by them. The other day I used them for drum OH in a Glyn Johns setup with Peluso ribbon mics. Sounds so... good. They're not great for every source/mic, but man they excell with certain things.

I don't know or care about the originals. I'm just a little surprised to hear someone bash this piece of gear. They're fantastic, IMHO.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Dempsey View Post
I have 2 and I swear by them. The other day I used them for drum OH in a Glyn Johns setup with Peluso ribbon mics. Sounds so... good. They're not great for every source/mic, but man they excell with certain things.

I don't know or care about the originals. I'm just a little surprised to hear someone bash this piece of gear. They're fantastic, IMHO.
I've had fantastic experiences with them as well. The 2-610 has been on my list of things to get for way too long now.
Old 28th November 2009
many moons ago... when upgrading from my trusty and faithful Roland W30 I got an Akai S2000 w/ two line LCD screen and cryptic maze of menus... arg. doorstop.
Old 28th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
I've had fantastic experiences with them as well. The 2-610 has been on my list of things to get for way too long now.
I think it's the "LA" part of the LA-610 is the problem. Just can't see how you can reduce a $3k comp into the front of a pre for less than half the price.

I'm a happy 2-610 user here.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios View Post
I think it's the "LA" part of the LA-610 is the problem. Just can't see how you can reduce a $3k comp into the front of a pre for less than half the price.

I'm a happy 2-610 user here.
Ah, I've never used the LA 610. Just the 2-610 and 6176, both of which I liked, although I prefer it without the mediocre 1176.
Old 14th December 2009
Gear Head

Protools 7 LE + 002 + MAC. Nightmare. Unstable, buggy. If i don't get error during record on my working day, i must celebrate this!

Real-time bouncing is stone age!

Why PT LE is asking me "save/don't save/cancel" dialog on attempt to close project, when i allready pushed cmd+s?

On PC the same PT LE + 002 works smoother.
Old 15th December 2009
JES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markd102 View Post
Samson C-control.
What a steaming pile of dog dodo that thing is!
Upon seeing this thread back near the top of the board, I was trying to remember what my worst purchase ever was, and then you reminded me. I hated the C-Control so much (and it was so unreliable) that I had erased it from my memory.
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Nut

Audix D6. Maybe if you record nu metal it would be ok, but I thought it was awful and hyped.

Although I rate it as my worst recording gear purchase, it was actually quite good for live sound.
Old 16th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Just bought a new fridge...........arguing with the sales people to take it back....listen to this........
Attached Files LIEBHERR.mp3 (753.3 KB, 280 views)

wow..what a sound!! please tel us about recording chain!!!
heh
Old 17th December 2009
Gear Addict

M-BOX! Went right back to the store.
Old 28th February 2010
Gear Nut

Behringer Mic 2200 preamp. It put it's ****ty imprint on two albums before I could figuru out why everything I/we made sounded even worse than before...
Old 28th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazznfunk View Post
Only if you're whack and work ITB. Don't forget some of us need audio to pass through hardware in real time.
Old 1st March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus888 View Post
Only if you're whack and work ITB. Don't forget some of us need audio to pass through hardware in real time.
In which case it would be nice to have both options would it not?

Obviously most time you want to listen as you bounce, but there are definitely times when you could use non real time bouncing

matt
Old 1st March 2010

Quote:
=Jazznfunk;4886329
Never seen anyone to non realtime on any project of fiscal value..... too dangerous. Gotta listen to EVERYTHING.

It's in my contracts with editors and mix engineers who work for me on our projects.
Old 1st March 2010
GRO
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucie View Post

5)Yamaha Su10...man what the hell was I thinking that day....spent £250...got £50 for it! Poor sucker who brought it though!

Brucie
haha i remember that sampler..i remember when i was starting out at like 15 years old begging my parents for that for christmas and then i got it. i also got a 4 track and cheap radio shack keyboard. i remember quiting my lil mcdonalds job saying i was going to make more money selling underground tapes out my trunk. boy was i wrong. i remember scratching with that thing thinking it was the coolest thing since slice bread. after finding one of my tapes randomly thrown out a window in a parking lot i realized i should go fill out some applications. i think the only people who actually bought them tapes were my parents other then some close friends. so i know of them trashed my tape out the window altho i dont blame them it was horrid there were better beats in the a ike and tina household. back to topic

akg c414 idk never sounded good on my voice but sounded damn good on a female rapper i tried it on. just wasnt wowed when i first got it

mackie onyx 400f garbage kept having dropouts and if u turned it off you had to reboot pc just to get it to work

behringer composer

dbx 266xl i mean i couldnt get anything to sound good on that no matter the settings

behringer T1953. used it for years thought it was soooo damn good til i realized how thin my sound was when i upgraded to solo 610 <-- gotta admit that behringer preamped looked cooler as hell and looked vintage

edirol ua 4-fx, haha i bought this thing for the onboard effects wtf was i thinking. damn thing was noisy, preamps were thinner then a lambskin condom. tube simulator hahaha. damn i spent tones of money on junk trying to backdoor my way into high quality recordings by buy cheap.
Old 1st March 2010
Gear Addict

I think its funny that the Alesis 3630 is considered the "worst" gear purchase by so many. Its a horrid compressor but for a hundred bucks you can get sounds out of the thing you can't get with any other gear. Whenever Im working on a "industrial" score or track, run bass though it after a Sans Amp. Totally squash the signal. Solo'd it sounds horrendous but in the context of a dark mix it sounds great... well it sounds distinct. I also like it on really clean synth patches at @ a 4:1 ratio, it takes some of the "clean" out of it.

Also like it for those 2 measure enormous guitar breakdowns, I'll throw it on the 4th or 5th guitar for the totally dynamic-less effect.

Some people actually drop them or throw them against the wall just to see what it does to them.
Old 1st March 2010
Lives for gear

Would have to be my first audio interface...
- an m-audio lagoon....absolutely horrible. I used the lagoon with an Yamaha 01v and no matter what I tried I could not get away from jitter although I didn't know what that was back then.

- audix D6 - only found one kick that I actually liked that mic in. Not crazy about any mic that is that scooped.

- Yamaha AW4416 - horrible experience with backups being corrupted...only used it for one project and quickly got rid of it.

- Cubase SX + windows - crashed all the time, corrupted project files..led to me buying a mac G4 with Digital Performer 3 and eventually Logic..haven't looked back since!

- any cymbal I've ever purchased online. Only buy cymbals I can pick out in a good drum shop from now on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search