The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Worst gear purchase?
Old 1st April 2008
Gear Nut

focusrite red plugins.........awful as far as im concerned.

PLUG INS- 2 MANY TO NAME

avalon 737sp...........i use it a lot at one of the studios i house for, do not like it, has a weird tonal thing going on, kinda bland to me, looks cool tho, built solid........but sucks!!!!!!

summit dcl 200.......years ago when i started assisting, i used it cause engineers would speak of how dope it was; i never could get it to sound good or work easy for me, now i know why.......it sucks!! (could have needed to bias the tubes and recapping performed, studio didnt have good maintenance but i didnt know things like that back then)

anything samson is awful............did u know that stood for sam ash son's company (basically an acronym)

hosa cables
Old 1st April 2008
R3k
Gear Maniac

Neve 8816

Sold it 2 weeks later for a loss of $1200 (inc cables i didn't previously have )

Gearslutz, i learnt my lesson...
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=Jay Pemberton;1953507]

Alesis D-4 electronic drum module. My introduction to the dreaded digital 'latency' syndrome. This was painfully evident when I used it to try and replace a poor-sounding bass drum track on a rock band's recording, using the BD track to 'trigger' the D-4. My fix, to put the D-4's sound in correct time? Dub the original BD track through a digital delay, and record the delay's output to an open track, with the multitrack tape on the machine upside down. This track (ahead of things by 18 milliseconds) was then used to trigger the D-4. Worked the trick, but still....I gave notice, that if I was ever to be forced to use a D-4 or other of its ilk again, I would quit recording. (I didn't have to quit.)

To each his own - I bought one new, and for MIDI sequencing, it's great. Playing the sounds off of MIDI drum pads, no latency. I have not, however used it with triggers and delay and multitrack tape upside down... but compared to drums on Battery, I often record using the D4 and then replace in the mix with Battery to keep down latency.

ADA MP-1 'MIDI programmable' guitar preamp/processor. These were around back when guitar players just had to have 'rack' gear, using something like this feeding a rack-mount solid-state amp, driving a run-of-mill 4X12 cabinet of some type or other. Classic items such as made by Fender, Ampeg, Marshall et al were electronica non grata. Some of the most horrid guitar sounds I ever recorded around 15 years ago, were generated by these MP-1 units. Dark, grungy, murky, muffled, dull, soupy, and just garbled. Lots of push buttons, and lots of LED lights, that didn't seem to change the sound much, if at all. (I wonder if I should have recorded a direct feed out of one of these, instead of the traditional miking of a speaker in the cabinet?) Stranger still, these have one or two 12AX7 tubes in them, that barely even get warm at all, never mind hot. You could unplug them from the unit while it was on and hear no difference in the sound IIRC![/B]

Bought one, liked it. A few things helped to get beyond that horrid sound for me:
  • Upgrading firmware to 2.01
  • Better tubes (2) inside than the junk they shipped it with. It also goes through tubes fast. Even lowly Mesa tubes made it sound better.
  • Tweaking the presets - getting rid of that high end presence and treble, chorus, etc.
  • Running it through an ADA Microcab speaker emulator. Got reasonably good tones to PT without getting evicted.

Would I trade my Princeton or Princeton reverb for it? No, but for some tunes, it works. I may need to buy another used one to keep my old one working...
Old 8th May 2008
Gear Addict

Pod xt pro

Line 6 Pod xt Pro:
Bought this thing last weekend and I could not get a good sound to come out of that thing if my life depended on it. I even ran it through tube pre's and a compressor and it still sounded like ass.

Even my wife could tell the difference between some miced tracks and the pod tracks, and she's not an engineer or musician!

Line 6 sucks!dfegad
Old 8th May 2008
Gear Head

worse gear purchases

Anything by MARSHALL. Just goes to show you how much people will pay for a monicker no matter how crappy it really is! I fell for that sh*t for a number of years and through numerous amp purchases('74 Super Bass, 1974X 18 watt hand-wired combo, 20 watt 2061x head, Jcm 2000 etc....etc....) until I finally learned my lesson and bought a CRATE. No tubes to buy, no bias issues to stress on, no worries about my amps getting lifted at gigs...........thumbsup
Old 8th May 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by >Mojave_Gary< View Post
Anything by MARSHALL. Just goes to show you how much people will pay for a monicker no matter how crappy it really is! I fell for that sh*t for a number of years and through numerous amp purchases('74 Super Bass, 1974X 18 watt hand-wired combo, 20 watt 2061x head, Jcm 2000 etc....etc....) until I finally learned my lesson and bought a CRATE. No tubes to buy, no bias issues to stress on, no worries about my amps getting lifted at gigs...........thumbsup
OK then.
Old 8th May 2008
Gear Nut

ugh

When I was first setting up shop, got a Focusrite octopre...
never liked that thin sounding POS.

Happy to move on..!
Old 9th May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
Please tell me how you found an 1820m to be "useless". I gotta hear this one!
2 pre amps that the power went out on, very bad analog stage, looks like a CB radio, and overly complicated software mixer. Harsh conversion with corrupted, muddy lower mid range.
Old 9th May 2008
Gear Maniac

2nd Adat LS20 - just in time for HD recording to take over.
Behringer mixer - terrible crosstalk on outputs, especially headphone.
Rolls headphone amp - started losing channels right after the ninety day warranty expired.
Old 9th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFX357 View Post
2 pre amps that the power went out on, very bad analog stage, looks like a CB radio, and overly complicated software mixer. Harsh conversion with corrupted, muddy lower mid range.
I think the 1820 uses the same converters as the Digi HD 192 but I might be wrong.
I use one for stereo stuff allot and it doesn't compare that badly to my UA2192. The soft mixer is a bit rubbish but the audio quality is pretty good for the money, I certainly wouldn't call it corrupted.
Old 9th May 2008
Lives for gear

Not from a technical, but an economical point of view:
Tascam ATR 60-2T master tape machine... Intended to use it for an archiving project, which I ended up doing elsewhere, without ever using the Tascam. Thing's been sitting doing nothing for more than 10 years now, and it cost me about € 1700 at the time (originally about 6000 when it was new).

Technically... Nothing really significant here.
Earthworks SR 78, maybe, but I've already posted about it elsewhere...
Old 10th May 2008
Gear Head

Talking WOW

Quote:
You know.....I was being a complete trouble-maker when I posted this reply. Shockingly, nobody flipped out and started a verbal assault parade over it. I thought for sure an anti-marshall comment would start the kind of war that being honest about something like the fact that Led Zeppelin was a lip-synch band would ignite.......
Old 10th May 2008
Deleted 99dc753
Quote:
Originally Posted by cominginsecond View Post
MOTU 828 FW interface.

Two words: only two channels of no-latency monitoring

OK, that's a lot more than two words.
One more Motu 828 MK II Expensive TOY bad quality after 2 years main board was burned.... no commend by MOTU. Will never buy again MOTU stuff.... WHY...
I also tried DP 5 ..... a MESSdfegad
Old 11th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know.....I was being a complete trouble-maker when I posted this reply. Shockingly, nobody flipped out and started a verbal assault parade over it. I thought for sure an anti-marshall comment would start the kind of war that being honest about something like the fact that Led Zeppelin was a lip-synch band would ignite.......
LOL. Fortunately, it seems that a majority of members of this forum know how to spell TROLL - *and* how to avoid stepping in troll droppings. heh
Old 11th May 2008
Here for the gear

I think I was in 8th grade (in '77 or so) when I traded in a mid sixties Princeton Reverb on a Yamaha solid state guitar amp - a G50-210, baby! That was a terrible, soulless amp.

In the late '80s I read a killer review of the Digitech DSP-128+ multi effects unit (a WHOPPING 4 bad, lame, egregious effects at once) and I mail ordered one. A much worse piece than the quadraverb, which came out about the same time. Ironically, I still occasionally use a Midiverb ii (though not for hi-fi work...)

JG
Old 11th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
One more Motu 828 MK II Expensive TOY bad quality after 2 years main board was burned.... no commend by MOTU. Will never buy again MOTU stuff.... WHY...
I also tried DP 5 ..... a MESSdfegad
Hmmm, DP5 a mess? Didn't Germans design Logic? Glass houses, Heir Holmes, glass houses.
Old 11th May 2008
Quote:
1. Yamaha 780something powered mixer(For recording and mixing...HA!)

2. Behringer multicom "pro"

3. Behringer Virtualizer "pro"

4. Audix powered monitors(old)

5. Drumkit From Hell 2(don't get it)

6. Digitech RP7

7. Digitech Vocalist II

8. Peavey vocal mic

9. Digitech grunge pedal

10. Radio Shack vocal mic(With the 1/4" cable attached)

11. Peavey powered mixer bass amp thing(Not Sure what it was..but it got stolen)

12. Digitech RP2000

13. EMU 1820m(For me it was useless)

14. Yamaha DD50(Electronic drumkit
15. Yamaha DD55

16. Live wire direct box(Still using it):(

17. MOTU MIDI Time piece off of ebay for $50(the parallel one)yes I fell for it.

18. Auralex Foam

19. Anything else that I ever bought from the Guitar Center in Marrietta, GA that I can't think of right now.

20. OH! I can't forget the Behringer UB2442 mixer that the power supply went out on it.
Man you really got a lot of crap!!heh
Old 11th May 2008
DIGI STRIKE!!!
Old 11th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagalactic View Post

In the late '80s I read a killer review of the Digitech DSP-128+ multi effects unit (a WHOPPING 4 bad, lame, egregious effects at once) and I mail ordered one.
Ha! I completely forgot about that one! I tried to use one in my live synth rig when I was playing in some L.A. bands in the '80s. It would lock up and fill the display with scrambled characters, but even worse, it would apparently spew garbage MIDI data and lock up my entire synth rig with stuck notes, random patch changes, the works. What an evil piece of gear that was.
Old 11th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagalactic View Post
n the late '80s I read a killer review of the Digitech DSP-128+ multi effects unit (a WHOPPING 4 bad, lame, egregious effects at once) and I mail ordered one.
Ha! I completely forgot about that one! I tried to use one in my live synth rig when I was playing in some L.A. bands in the '80s. It would lock up and fill the display with scrambled characters, but even worse, it would apparently spew garbage MIDI data and lock up my entire synth rig with stuck notes, random patch changes, the works. What an evil piece of gear that was.
You've reminded me. I had the "good fortune" to borrow (ever so briefly) a digitech effects unit in the '80s.

Handed it back real fast - and have given digitech a wide berth ever since. I consider myself lucky. Some lessons are not worth learning the hard way!
Old 11th May 2008
Lives for gear

1. TLAUDIO 5021
2. Neumann U87
3. AMS Neve 8801
4. UA 6176
5. Symetrix 528E
Old 12th May 2008
Lives for gear

Off the top of my head....

TC Electronics M-One
Joe Meek EQ
Presonus MP20
Rode Classic
DBX 166
Moog Opus 3
GK 250ML
BFI Powered Mixer
360 Systems Midi patchbay
Old 12th May 2008
Gear Nut

no kidding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
1) AKG 1000s or whatever it's called. I call it a **** sandwich.
2) Aphex 107 "Tubessence" - "essentially" a bad pre.
3) Alesis 3630 - ain't no good. Replaced by an RNC.... ahhh.

that alesis 3630 was purportedly built with the dbx 166 chip....i don't THINK so...... and one side never even worked on the one i bought.
Old 12th May 2008
Gear Head

Tube MP Studio

Agree about the Pods, although I never bought one.

I have a TLA 5021, which I think is ok for the price (£240 second hand I think). Do other people really not like them?
Old 12th May 2008
Lives for gear

Mackie HUI - incredibly expensive, never worked properly even though I had the fader board replaced TWICE. Sold it off ebay.

Toby
Old 12th May 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
Man you really got a lot of crap!!heh

Old 12th May 2008

mackie dxb - it simply didn;t work, it spent more time broken down and neding replacement parts than actually working. The thing is would have been an amazing piece of hardware if it worked regularly. It was really frustrating.

emu e6400. I loved it for a while, but then soft samplers came out and using the emu became to long winded. Then it went down in value from $6,500 NZD that I paid for it, to can't give it away status

Rode NTK - harsh

narco
Old 12th May 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold View Post
Hmmm, DP5 a mess? Didn't Germans design Logic? Glass houses, Heir Holmes, glass houses.
yes, we are still evil dfegad
Old 12th May 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky View Post
LOL. Fortunately, it seems that a majority of members of this forum know how to spell TROLL - *and* how to avoid stepping in troll droppings. heh
LOL.....that will teach me to be an instigator!
Old 12th May 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
17. MOTU MIDI Time piece off of ebay for $50(the parallel one)yes I fell for it
What is wrong with it? I was thinking of buying one used (really cheap)from local music shop to sync my midi effects and synths and maybe use its smpte to sync tape recorder with daw... is it a bad idea? Why doesn´t it work?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search