The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Worst gear purchase?
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

I wish I could get half of my money back on the above mentioned stuff....I'd be a happy camper.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

akai s5000....had it for a few years and never could find a soft update that didn't crash it.
-brian
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Maniac

The Edirol UA-100. The year was 1998 and I thought that USB audio on my P2 300 would be the greatest thing since liquid soap. Sadly, USB technology wasn't there yet and the thing was terrible!

Old 6th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
i once walked out of a music store with:

a blackface adat, 2 alesis 3630 compressors, a midiverb 3, and a mackie 1202.

no wonder i fell in love with valium.

gregoire
del ubik
thumbsup
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Hey, anything that you get what you got in it when you sell is a winner in my book... didn't lose anything in the deal... not a bad deal.

Hey 84K that finger keyboard thingie looks cool....how long did take to figure that out.

Nick
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Yamaha SU200 - little phrase sampler, man what a waste i paid something like $600 Australian at the time. It was just cumbersome transfering samples to and from the PC via smart media card. It came with a sample cd which has proved to be far more useful than the sampler. I sold it for $150.

Roland Juno 106 - great synth, it just kept on breaking down.

Phonic MAR1 - power amp -

I used this thing for years with my NS10's but the general unreliability - overheating, buzzing etc I gave it to a friend for free.
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Nut

A tie for first place between studio projects C1 and TLM 103. Crap is crap even when it's cheap. My yorkvile monitors would not be too far behind in second place, mind you i was broke and trying to start a studio at the time. I'm sure this gear has it's place but it wasn't a room in my house. Adios el crapo micos y monitoros, hope you enjoy your next life as R2D2's sac on a hot day in the desert!

cool as,
bloodz
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I have sold almost all of these off...althought guitar center cables occasionally haunt my signal chain.

1) Guitar Center Cables
2) Behringer MX2002 board
3) Fostex X-12 (seriously, dont ask)
4) Nady Mics

I also had a Gainiac guitar preamp I got in like 1996. It was given to me, but I was too little know what the hell it was...I think my uncle gave that to me...i didnt even play gutiar yet...he just didnt need it.. So when I Was old enough to play guitar I realized what POS it was. Ouch.
Old 6th July 2005

BBE Sonic bastardizer. Still don't remember why I bought it. Total POS.
Jaz drives. Total disaster.
Old 6th July 2005
eus
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton
BBE Sonic bastardizer. Still don't remember why I bought it. Total POS.
Jaz drives. Total disaster.
I agree. Also bought a BBE about 11 years ago. I expected something like the Aphex (pro version) which was quite popular then. It was completely useless... Unless of course you want to mess up your low mids and replace it with nothing but mud.

Another one: Yamaha 01V. Turned out to be easy to operate on some complicated tasks, but quite complicated for the easy setup I mostly used it for. Also the overall sound quality wasn't quite what I expected.

Philips CDD 2000. Worked fine for two months. After a few more months of repairs, tweaking and making coasters I replaced it with a Plextor (the one with a caddy) which never failed. Its current owner still uses it!

Tannoy DMT 15. Looks like a big DMT 12, but sounds much worse.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
i once walked out of a music store with:

a blackface adat, 2 alesis 3630 compressors, a midiverb 3, and a mackie 1202.

no wonder i fell in love with valium.

gregoire
del ubik
I once did that too in about 1993 (except the board was a soundcraft spirit). It's funny: I also like Philip K Dick.
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Addict

emu e synth the keyboard. could it go 10 minutes without crashing ? no
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Addict

The Mackie DXB! What a piece of CRAP!!!
(luckily I could exchange it)

Cheers, Julian

PS Great thread, good to get things like that of your chest
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

- Yamaha AW4416 or whatever it was called.
Arrived with the HD installed upside down, if you can believe it. Thank god I could get out of the deal because it also sounded like **** and sported the perhaps most workflow-killing menu/setup ever.

- Anything made by Whirlwind.
I once bought an A/B box for guitar only to find that it TOTALLY killed the sound and we're not talking nuances here. I then just used my cheap Chinese-made Danelectro Tuner Stompbox to send the signal to 2 amps and guess what, it sounded great.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

orban 622b eq
bbe maximizer
dbx 242 eq
aphex exciter
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have both Aphex Aural Exciter and The BBE Sonic Maximizer, and found both to be useful......I used the Aphex for years in my dj rig, and it really brought the music to life. I got many compliments on the sound of my rig, but most importantly, I liked the sound I got while using it.

I used to use the BBE in my studio, which also enhanced the sound. I still have it but rarely use it anymore, as I'm going for a more natural sound, without the extra sparkle. Occassionaly, I'll kick it on while listening to cd's or dvd's....I'd rather have it than not have it.
Old 6th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Triple Rectifier. One sound and one sound only: ARRRRGGGGGGH!!!!!

D112. Traded it for a D12 and got an extra $50!
Ditto on both comments. I thought I was the only guy that did not like triple rectifiers. I'll throw in the TLM103 for good measure. That mic was not for me.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

I try to stay away from used gear...but the NAGRA T looked too good...littke did i know...it lacked timecode...its only reason for existance. BTW i still have it if anyone needs parts
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth
Hey 84K that finger keyboard thingie looks cool....how long did take to figure that out.

Nick
Hey! I'll trade you the secret of "The Finger" signature for your M147.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

EMU Darwin. Soooooo glad I was able to return it. All the dis-advantages of ADAT with storage on an unreliable Jazz drive.

Woo hoo!
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

In my 'newbie' years, I was quick to buy on flashy adverts and hype: luckily I outgrew that quickly, and have had no 'bad buys' since but...

TLAudio C-1: comp is pretty useless, but even more disappointing is the pre's: muddy and veiled are my descriptives for this POS. One of the only bad choices I've made in gear purchasing yet...

Rode NT-1: the first LDC mic I ever bought - it does have it's uses: scratch tracks, and paired with an appropriate pre can sound OK, but the sizzly top makes it unuseable save for very few sources.

Logic (3.7) - paid full ticket fare for it, and decided to go with PT instead. Tried logic for a week, then bailed - the most costly SW I've ever bought, and sadly, one I never put to use...

here's to better gear purchasing round the board!
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth

Nick
....Highlight....
Command (apple) + "C"
Command (apple) + "V"

--------------------
…........../´¯/)
..........,/¯./
........./.../
.../´¯/'..'/´¯¯•¸
./'/.../.../..../¨¨/¯\
('(...´...´....¯ ;/' ')
.\.............'...../
..\............_.•´
...\...........(
....\..........
Old 6th July 2005
Absolute worst: a used TASCAM 70-8 8 track 1/2" deck with dbx NR.

I bought a nice big reel of 1/2" tape when I bought it, thinking, boy, I'll be spending a lot on these... wrong.

The freakin' POS -- which I bought from a shop because they'd refurbished it and I thought that was more dependable than a pp -- never completely worked right. I took it in for repairs (a 120 mile r-t) twice and it was out for a total of 10 bloody months. Why? Because TASCAM wouldn't supply him with parts because he wasn't an autho'd dealer.

The last time I got it back from him, yet another dbx card burned out (they went down and stayed down if you looked at them loud) the second day I had it.

I called up a pro shop friends had been going to and bought one of those then-new-fangled ADATs -- it cost twice as much as the used TASCAM (no discounts in those early days... well, the shop 'paid the tax' -- $350 or so) but within two months I'd filled up 3 40 minute 8 track tapes... whereas there was still a lot of room left on that reel of 1/2 " analog tape...

Second worst was a pair of Behringer 5 band para EQs... It was the mid-90s and my shop recommended them. (I stopped taking their recommendations at face value after that.) They were cheaper than other 5 band paras, in those days, to be sure. But they sounded like crap... You could practically hear the crossing point crackle as their cheap ICs tweaked and spit. Ugly.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Rode NT-1: the first LDC mic I ever bought - it does have it's uses: scratch tracks, and paired with an appropriate pre can sound OK, but the sizzly top makes it unuseable save for very few sources.
Hey, me too.....I still have mine (bought it back before they dropped the price, and couldn't stand to lose so much money on it by selling). I use mine on floor tom these days....also makes a real nice talkback mic!

Jeez, its embarassing, but I also had an ART Tube MP (wow, an incredible 9 volts on the plates)....oh, and a Behringer Multicom. Oh the painful memories...what garbage gear. Some beginer mistakes are forgiveable

Its interesting to see how many people are dumping on the TLM103...I remember when they all the buzz. Did a mic shootout between it and an AT4050, and kept the 4050 (which I later traded for RCA 77D heh ).

Another bad buy...Cool Edit Pro, bought it based on the promise of high track counts, but couldn't get used to the interface, you couldn't EQ other than in edit mode (which is like EQ'ing with the solo button on....useless).

Fostex 1/4" patch bay...duct taping 1/4" cables together would have made a more reliable contact.

Marshall TSL amp....why didn't I hear the buzzyness in the store? Has three channels, clean, crunch and and gonzo distortion, and only the clean channel sounds any good. Yeah, it's a Marshall, and it's best sound is 'clean'. Broke the footswitch after 3 months. What a POS.

Cheers,

Kris
Old 6th July 2005
Funny... I've just been rediscovering my NT1... and even though I bought mine when they were still up around $400 bucks, I've never felt bad about that. (I think they're down under $200 now if they even still make em').

I've decided I really like it on my own vocals. It does have a high rise, which I like on my vocal. I didn't like it on voice overs (m/f) or singing (on the one fem singer I tried), though.

It's not my first choice for a lot of stuff, for sure. But for what I like it for -- I really like it.

DrFrankencopter mentions the buzz-to-bust cycle of so many pieces of popular gear.

I honestly think this is because the field is filled with a lot of people who spend more time listening to what other people are saying and writing than using their ears in the real world.

I mean, for crying out loud, how often have you seen people arguing heatedly about gear they've never used -- maybe never even heard about?

It's only natural for people like that to 'pollute the buzz'...

In reality, I think a lot of this gear was never as far above the crowd as the buzz would have it -- and not anywhere as inferior as the buzz backlash would have it.

I'm reminded of the 'meteoric' rise and just as meteoric fall of 70's temporary-icon Peter Frampton.

Us oldsters will remember that the unfortunate Mr Frampton had an almost overnight success with a double live album. But within a year or two he was an object of near-universal derision.

Why? His music was exactly the same. People who loved his big album in 75 hated it 76... and said what lame crap it was.

There was a similar -- but far slower -- arc with now-iconic Creedance Clearwater Revival. In 70 and 71 and 72 they couldn't have been any bigger, but by 73 and 74, they were generally scorned as "loser" or "red-freak" rock and widely scorned.

Let's face it, most people can't think for themselves...
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Maniac

not sure if this counts....but i moonlight as a house DJ from time to time and back in the day when i was a really gear slutty dj head i bought a behringer DX1000 dj mixer just for a backup....thought the same as someone else did previously on this post "how bad could this be??"

it was back in the box within 20 minutes and on its way back to the store...horrid sound quality....horrid....horrrridddd

replaced with an Allen & Heath Xone 464. as for dj mixers go, that is pretty great sounding console for those of you who think dj's are worthless and their gear is too.
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Addict

Yorkville Passive DI.........(Stinky Face) I got my bass back when I got a u5...
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

The C1000 is up there, but the absolute worst purchase I ever made was the Roland "Modeling" Mic Pre. "Sounds like every mic pre ever made". What a load of S**T. It sold for $600 new and I saw it for $300 on ebay, so I thought "what the hell". Completely, udderly useless. It's like turning your DAW into a VS workstation, which I can't imagine anyone wanting to do. Every sound I got was grainy, extremely harsh and suffered from the worst "digititis" I've ever heard. I think mostly everything Roland makes is garbage, at least in the recording field.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

The Roland SDE 330 Space delay is a nice unit. I also have some very nice sounding Roland Synths, the JV-880, 1080 and JP-8000, which have all worked very well for me. So I wouldn't trash the Roland name. After owning them for quite awhile, I would say the Roland stuff I have is very well built, and does indeed work well.
Old 6th July 2005
Here's a couple; Sound Blaster AWE 32 and a accompanied midi keyboard with a lite version of Cakewalk. That was my first step towards a DAW, and man, was I dissappointed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search