The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Worst gear purchase?
Old 19th January 2008
Here for the gear

Thumbs down NI kore

Bought it the minute it came out. It never delivered what was promised. My kore2 update is on its way but I doubt it will make any difference.

M-Audio profire lightbridge which I just bought is soon going to end up on the list too. I bought it for getting my Apogee AD16X into the Pro Tools M-Powered, but it's very unstable at 88.2kHz. Crap product, just what I expected from M-audio. But what can I do, if I want to run PTMP. Hate you Avid/Digi.
Old 19th January 2008
The Bomb Factory Slightly Rude Compressor. I know that technically, it isn't "gear", but I was so annoyed at the utter uselesness of that plugin that I had to throw it on the crap pile. Definitely a waste of money.
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieB View Post

So my **** gear list includes all the stuff I bought since 1994 because it ruined my workflow and was too complex and involved me having to read manuals left right and centre ...

ADAT, Korg X3, Korg Wavestation, Korg X5D, Alesis DR5, Alesis Q2, Emu ES32, Yamaha AN1X, Roland MC505, PODXT, Behringer compressor, TC Electronic finalizer ... and there's more ...
If you have a short learning curve why did you buy a Wavestation??? People used to pay me to show them how you program one. No matter how many new toys I buy I will always have the awesomeness of the Wavestation.

P.S.--Since you don't like complex toys, don't buy a V Synth. But they are awesome!!!!!!!
Old 19th January 2008
thx1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keke Brown View Post
Bought it the minute it came out. It never delivered what was promised. My kore2 update is on its way but I doubt it will make any difference.
Totally agree. My worst as well – ****ty geedy bastards at NI made me turn my back on them for a while.

Now have a RemoteSL and I'm loving it thumbsup

Yamaha DX7 was another one. All my programming efforts without an editor were hopeless. But I got a couple of nice FM-farts out of it heh
Thank god for FM7 and FM8 (yeah yeah, I know)!
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandoanalog View Post
Tascam t38
Alesis adat lx20
line 6 hd 147
Marshall 9100 , jmp1, 1960 cab
rocktron gainiac ( i bought it because sometimes I need a bad guitar sound. Well, it is so bad, that it couldnt do that either..)
pffff.... and lots more...
Time changes things so much heh

Nowadays, I find my jmp1 and 9100 good (1960 cab is still useless). Just need to use them on what they do best.

And that line6 is so good that it is ********. Just not on the in the instrument it was suposed to amplify...
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

rane dc24. I had two of them. Traded them for a sm7b. Much happier now.
Old 20th January 2008
Avalon Vt-737sp and Behringer Composer. Don't konw why I bought them, they are useless
Old 23rd January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
I loved my Prophet. I still miss it
Also miss my prophet, and it was a rev 2 as well.

Also tried to switch from Studio Vision to Logic, and ran away screaming. Never got it to work, recognize my Studio 4 (or then later my Emagic AMT8) so now it collects dust and I'm trying to use PT for midi editing
Old 23rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

Radial Passive DI

I'd rather cut my own dikk off and throw it in a river...
Old 5th February 2008
Here for the gear

ART SGE

About as far away from good guitar tone as you can get.
Old 5th February 2008
Gear Nut

Hoontech/ST-Audio C-Port 2000 was the absolutely worst audio interface ever made (they are out of business now if that tells you anything). And while I owned it, for the longest time, I thought that this was just how computer audio was - buggy, crackly, inefficient, slow, laggy, and virtually useless. Then I finally got a PT LE rig and could not believe how I needlessly wasted three years of my life with that useless garbage from Hoontech. Good riddance!
Old 7th February 2008
1. Yamaha 780something powered mixer(For recording and mixing...HA!)

2. Behringer multicom "pro"

3. Behringer Virtualizer "pro"

4. Audix powered monitors(old)

5. Drumkit From Hell 2(don't get it)

6. Digitech RP7

7. Digitech Vocalist II

8. Peavey vocal mic

9. Digitech grunge pedal

10. Radio Shack vocal mic(With the 1/4" cable attached)

11. Peavey powered mixer bass amp thing(Not Sure what it was..but it got stolen)

12. Digitech RP2000

13. EMU 1820m(For me it was useless)

14. Yamaha DD50(Electronic drumkit
15. Yamaha DD55

16. Live wire direct box(Still using it):(

17. MOTU MIDI Time piece off of ebay for $50(the parallel one)yes I fell for it.

18. Auralex Foam

19. Anything else that I ever bought from the Guitar Center in Marrietta, GA that I can't think of right now.

20. OH! I can't forget the Behringer UB2442 mixer that the power supply went out on it.
Old 7th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Radial Passive DI

I'd rather cut my own dikk off and throw it in a river...
The Jensen one or the regular one? I was actually thinking about getting the JDI. Or replacing the components in my live wire piece of crap. Let me know why you hated it. Thanks
Old 8th February 2008
JMc
Gear Addict

My worst purchase must have been the Focusrite Voicemaster Pro Platinum. Not that it sounded bad for a cheap mic pre. To the contrary, I was able to actually get some decent performance out of it - just until the warranty ran out and all those pretty red-lit buttons started shorting out and making noise. It wasn't until later that I learned that this is an inherent design defect in those switches, only cureable with replacement of the same type switches at a cost of over $300 from some place in Vegas that sees tons of these things with the same problem. Not only that, but the switches are sealed and a bitch to get to so trying to clean them with contact cleaner isn't possible for most end users.

I spoke directly to a rep with a fine British accent at Focusrite who feigned ignorance to this defect, and I finally wound up selling the thing on eBay for parts when it just became too unreliable.

Because of this dissapointing experience, I'll probably never buy another Focusrite product again. There are too many other choices available to have to put up with that kind of nonsense.
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Biermann View Post
Hoontech/ST-Audio C-Port 2000 was the absolutely worst audio interface ever made (they are out of business now if that tells you anything). And while I owned it, for the longest time, I thought that this was just how computer audio was - buggy, crackly, inefficient, slow, laggy, and virtually useless. Then I finally got a PT LE rig and could not believe how I needlessly wasted three years of my life with that useless garbage from Hoontech. Good riddance!
I had one of these and still have the tracks. Worked fine for me and sounded better than the 001 I got later too! You must have got a lemon!
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

ADAT blackface and the Lexicon Core2.

I too will never buy anything from Lexicon again.
Old 31st March 2008
EMU Esi4000, the worst sounding sampler in the world.
Old 31st March 2008
Gear Nut

Trident S100.
Enough said!
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

i bought a dbx 166xl after hearing so many good things about the (real) dbx compressors. i thought this would be my answer to quiet mixes and id have my limiter for life...

ya, i was wrong ...
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFX357 View Post
1. Yamaha 780something powered mixer(For recording and mixing...HA!)

2. Behringer multicom "pro"

3. Behringer Virtualizer "pro"

4. Audix powered monitors(old)

5. Drumkit From Hell 2(don't get it)

6. Digitech RP7

7. Digitech Vocalist II

8. Peavey vocal mic

9. Digitech grunge pedal

10. Radio Shack vocal mic(With the 1/4" cable attached)

11. Peavey powered mixer bass amp thing(Not Sure what it was..but it got stolen)

12. Digitech RP2000

13. EMU 1820m(For me it was useless)

14. Yamaha DD50(Electronic drumkit
15. Yamaha DD55

16. Live wire direct box(Still using it):(

17. MOTU MIDI Time piece off of ebay for $50(the parallel one)yes I fell for it.

18. Auralex Foam

19. Anything else that I ever bought from the Guitar Center in Marrietta, GA that I can't think of right now.

20. OH! I can't forget the Behringer UB2442 mixer that the power supply went out on it.
Please tell me how you found an 1820m to be "useless". I gotta hear this one!
Old 31st March 2008
Gear Head

When I was in Jr. High it was time to get a new (used) guitar amp as my Crate (in the housing that looked like a crate - get it???) had broken again!

My choice in an amp head was between a blond Tolex Fender Bassman head or a Peavey Centurian 400 watt bass amp head. I chose the Peavey because the serial number on the Fender seemed really low and my Jr. High brain thought that meant it would breakdown any day.

I also though the Peavey Centruian would sound badass. It did sound bad. And like ass. I still regret that purchase. I just didn't know any better.

What the Peavey lacked in tone it made up in volume!
Old 31st March 2008
Gear Maniac

DOD headphone amp....I guess I had that one coming.

But at least I got to pay an extra 50% on import tariffs! fuuck
Old 31st March 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Aphex Aural exciter! enough said
Agreed. What a total bunch of crap. And you know they sold piles of them back in the day. I remember a guitarist I knew using one of these things in his live rig rack between two JC-120s. Can you say "Treblemonster?"
Old 31st March 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy00 View Post
ART SGE

About as far away from good guitar tone as you can get.
Yes, also unfortunately owned one of these things too... ick
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

Firepod: Had to return it twice
MOTU 8 Pre: Died in a session when I brought it
MOTU Traveller: Work ok but never clean
DBX 1066: I never got it to work for me

Logic Studio: SoundtrackPro Crashes; I am still using version 7.2.3
Old 31st March 2008
Gear Nut

A custom-built PC from a place called Crazy Kenny's here in the C-bus. (That should've been my first clue.) Worked fine til it blew up and took all my clients files with it. Oy! What a disaster. Never bought another PC after that...
Old 1st April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy jetson View Post
Can we just agree that anything starting with the word Behringer is just automatically on this list? I dont think stores should be allowed to sell this stuff. or at least have a disclaimer saying "warning! this product is a piece of ****! do not buy unless you have a gun held to your head"
Funny thing is the only Behringer units I have ever owned -ultramatch pro and powerplay pro xl - have given me good, reliable use since I bought them a year ago!!! And I use them on a daily basis.
Old 1st April 2008
Gear Nut

My worst purchase was a Digi Control 24 that needed a new power supply every couple of months, was noisy, jittery, had flashing LED's, and sticky faders. I replaced it with a Toft 24ch. - it's Tofty as Hell! The Shiek would say,"the Control 24 is a gibronie piece of sh..t. Idfegadon the Control 24, and will humble it."
Old 1st April 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Also miss my prophet, and it was a rev 2 as well.

Also tried to switch from Studio Vision to Logic, and ran away screaming. Never got it to work, recognize my Studio 4 (or then later my Emagic AMT8) so now it collects dust and I'm trying to use PT for midi editing
I still miss certain features of Studio Vision... pity. I finally settled on Tracktion after trying and hating a half-dozen other host.
Old 1st April 2008
Gear Nut

Here's a short list of memorable equipment I had experiences with ranging from....erm....interesting to downright awful. Most of these I encountered in the early and mid 1990s:

Tascam TSR-8, 1/2" 8 track with dbx I NR. Decent sound quality, and reliable in my experience, but you always had to turn the dbx on manually every time you turned the deck on. Also, the NR was only switchable in groups of 4 tracks, not on an individual track-by-track basis. (With one multitrack tape I had to mix one time, this was indeed a problem!) It also took forever for the tape to come to a stop when in either fast wind mode, and most aggravating was when you were in record, and you hit stop to punch out somewhere, it continued to record for about 2/3 of a second--still rolling tape--after you hit stop! (No doubt it needed some serious modding of its logic control circuitry!)

JBL 4208 monitors. How can I describe these? Buddha boxes? Beer belly blasters? Pregnant cyclopses? 8 inch woofer in a moulded grey enclosure with a somewhat bulgy, if not quite bulbous shape, with said woofer in the centre of the bulge, apparently to make it 'time-aligned' with the titanium-diaphragm tweeter on top. This tweeter was zingy and aggressive and tended to lead me to mix things that sounded dull elsewhere. The next speakers in the studio where these were, were worse.

Tannoy System 10 DMT monitors. The replacements for the JBLs. Looked snazzy, but made everything sound awful! A monitor speaker should tell you when something's wrong with the sound, but you should be able to have things sound right when they ARE right, too. This, they could not do. They had a metallic peak at 2100 Hz that could razor your ears, and the highs had no real clarity. Loud, but very poor definition. I ended up having to take mixes home, listen to them through an old Altec-Lansing A7-500, determine what was 'off' on what I heard, make notes as to what to change, and by how many dB or whatever, drive back to the studio, and make those fine adjustments, and do the final mixes that way, to achieve anything of quality with them.

Alesis D-4 electronic drum module. My introduction to the dreaded digital 'latency' syndrome. This was painfully evident when I used it to try and replace a poor-sounding bass drum track on a rock band's recording, using the BD track to 'trigger' the D-4. My fix, to put the D-4's sound in correct time? Dub the original BD track through a digital delay, and record the delay's output to an open track, with the multitrack tape on the machine upside down. This track (ahead of things by 18 milliseconds) was then used to trigger the D-4. Worked the trick, but still....I gave notice, that if I was ever to be forced to use a D-4 or other of its ilk again, I would quit recording. (I didn't have to quit.)

ADA MP-1 'MIDI programmable' guitar preamp/processor. These were around back when guitar players just had to have 'rack' gear, using something like this feeding a rack-mount solid-state amp, driving a run-of-mill 4X12 cabinet of some type or other. Classic items such as made by Fender, Ampeg, Marshall et al were electronica non grata. Some of the most horrid guitar sounds I ever recorded around 15 years ago, were generated by these MP-1 units. Dark, grungy, murky, muffled, dull, soupy, and just garbled. Lots of push buttons, and lots of LED lights, that didn't seem to change the sound much, if at all. (I wonder if I should have recorded a direct feed out of one of these, instead of the traditional miking of a speaker in the cabinet?) Stranger still, these have one or two 12AX7 tubes in them, that barely even get warm at all, never mind hot. You could unplug them from the unit while it was on and hear no difference in the sound IIRC!

Marshall mosfet amps. I recall seeing these come into a friend's music shop very frequently for a period in the early and mid-1990s. No sooner would a tech get them rebuilt, that they would blow up again. They did begin to be seen less frequently after that, thankfully, as their owners woke up to the fact that they really needed something better--almost anything else! Something that would get them through a gig, and then some.

BBE Sonic Maximizers. My bad go-round with one of these was just a few years ago, where one of them is across the mains of a large church sound system. (Their FOH speakers are a quartet of Bose Panarays, and four--count 'em, four--Bose 'Wave Cannons' for subwoofers! Screeching upper mids, ragged highs, and insane, boom-car bass. Their music director is college-educated, so he knows this is the best!) One of the worst sound systems I have ever heard. Suffice it to say, anything that dynamically boosts upper mids and highs has no place in a FOH system. Is there any place one of these sounds good, beyond when it's disconnected?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search