digidesign 888s
AKG 414 B-ULS
Line 6 echo pro
Lex PCM90
Old 23rd December 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
... When I saw the Alesis 31-band I was about to write something like "no more calls, folks, we have a winner!", but then I remembered something....
Around 1978 I was doing a live sound mix for some bands in some LA club and I was confronted with the most horrible mixer ever created. It was some bizarre contraption called a MALATCHI mixer. It had stubby little faders for EVERYTHING - EQ, sends, pan... and nearly every fader on the board made the most horrendously loud crackling crunching crashing noise when you just slightly moved it. The guys who worked a t the club recommended that I "try to find a good setting for everything and then don't touch the controls". I kid you not.

Dave Peck
Had that same mixer for about a week in 1975. Its EQ was passive. They just drew a horizontal line through the middle of the faders' travel and marked it "0". It sounded awful, like there was a carpet over the speakers. Swapped it for a Tapco, which ironically enough, had no faders, just pots.

http://www.catamountrecording.com/
Old 23rd December 2006
Gear Maniac

NS-10's. Bob C. mixed all those hits on them, so I got a pair. I must have covered the tweeters with the wrong brand of tissue paper, because they still made my ears bleed.

LA-610. Lousy gain structure.

http://www.catamountrecording.com/
Old 31st December 2006
Gear Nut

hmmm

I have a quick question... Could all of the 414 haters out there come to me and sell me theirs. ha ha.. I'm a young gun with little money but I LOVE this mic and want one for myself...Someone out there must want theirs gone with all the hate mail about it!!

D-
Old 1st January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachconnelly View Post
I have a quick question... Could all of the 414 haters out there come to me and sell me theirs. ha ha.. I'm a young gun with little money but I LOVE this mic and want one for myself...Someone out there must want theirs gone with all the hate mail about it!!

D-
yeah, there's gotta be somebody out there who just hates his Neve preamps and want to trade them to me for a couple of HOT!!! ART Tube MPs.......I'll even cover shipping...

/dirty
Old 1st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by button View Post
Well ... I thought I'd add a BIG TICKET item to this thread!

Add the multitrack in as well ...
... and the white linen gloves required to edit on the machines (edit a prodigi - ever tried?)

Should have purchased a small apartment instead (hey, ho.)
Hey come on . I just sold a Sony 3348 with all the trimmings for $2300.00 cash. That's about what i paid for it, but new it was over $250,000.00 . Now that's depreciation.....
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

a DBX mic pre!!!! the noisiest gear ever!! dfegad
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Mackie D8b. I still have nightmares about how much money I lost on that thing. Oh and 3x ADAT XT20's too.
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Mackie 24x8 (the analog 8 buss)
Mackie 24x8 expanders (adds 24 more channels)

I traded good American dollars for these unreliable pieces of ****e. Mackie hung me out to dry when I tried to get them repaired too. I had two of the masters and three of the expanders. Wow was I stupid.

I'll never ever buy another Mackie ANYTHING!
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak7 View Post
a DBX mic pre!!!! the noisiest gear ever!! dfegad

Which one? They made a very expensive, high-end transistor pre--a blue series thing--that was pretty excellent sounding.

Do you mean one of those cheap tube pres in a silver-ish box that had a little window so you could see the tube? WARNING: Any tube pre that's less than a grand-a-channel and has a port-hole for you to see the tube should be a red-flag! That may have been the pre that had an LED behind or under the tube to make it look like it was glowing.
Old 4th January 2007
Exclamation Mackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post

I'll never ever buy another Mackie ANYTHING!

Harsh my brother...go easy on Greg

Come to think of it though...my worst purchase in the past 2yrs goes to Mackie HR824's & HRS120 sub

they didn't translate well at all
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney View Post
I've had bad experiences with two Panasonic SV-3800 DAT decks. The transports fail about once a year (a $600 repair), whereas the TASCAM 30 MKIIs (whatever) have been reliable for seven or eight years. Anybody else had this problem?
I've had my SV-3800 for several years and not had a problem with it.

My worst purchase was a Sony Portable DAT that only played back DATs that were originally recorded on other Sony DAT Recorders, thus prompting my purchase of the SV-3800.
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

you had to buy TWO DATS?!?!!?

thats pretty terrible.....
Old 4th January 2007
no ssl yet
I got you guys beat.

I had a Roland VS880, WITH an internal JAZZ DRIVE, and the SCSI CD BURNER for back up.

THE roland didn't soud half bad sometimes, when I used other converters and the uncompressed data format. Which meant I had Alot to back up or pull from the SMOKING/BURNING JAZZ DRIVe.

But it was my intro into DAWs which I spent 3G's FOR bRAND NEW.

I went from it to a digi 001, to mix plus, to HD accel, (AND FINALLY, I got something useable after YEARS invested.)

Also, I can tell you one I never bought but because I knew better/didn't have the money back then.

What was that first Alesis Mixer? The one with the little white switches on it?

That was CRAPPY Crap, Crapolah.,
Old 5th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by channelcat View Post
I've had my SV-3800 for several years and not had a problem with it.

My worst purchase was a Sony Portable DAT that only played back DATs that were originally recorded on other Sony DAT Recorders, thus prompting my purchase of the SV-3800.
yeah I had a LOT of tapes coming in back then, recorded on these sony's.
people bought them because they were cheap.
but what they didn't know was that they were incompatible, and crap out on critical moments. plus the wallwart was ridiculous. BIGGER than the machine almost.

I went for a TEAC portable DAT, which was great until it got nicked. (got money back though)
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
Mackie D8b. I still have nightmares about how much money I lost on that thing.
D8b=ultra-mega-crap

Ive also developed an anti-fondness for blue mics, 3xx series dbx channel strips, Avalon 737 and ANYTHING with the name beringher (has this last one been mentioned yet?)
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Head

PreSonus COMP16. Haha. I'm laughing. You are too.

I plugged it in and it caught on fire.

The best thing I own by them is a t-shirt. But it's too big.
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Addict

Tascam DM24

I hate this thing. Half the stuff it was supposed to do it doesn't do, or does so poorly it isn't worth using. I spent months deciding between the DM24 and the yamaha 01V96, and I made the wrong choice.

For example. You can't use the assignable i/o for the busses. Inserts are pre digital in, so you cannot insert outboard during mix down so easily. Can only use one reverb at a time even though there are 2 effects units. Interface is left footed/twiddly. The DAW control is terrible, you can't easily switch to a controller layer.

Apparently the new Tascam mixer takes care of all this. My guess is they ran out of DSP on the DM24 and only made half ass work arounds. Even the templates for Logic on their website don't work. I went to the NAMM and NAB tradeshows, and not a single Tascam person could answer my questions. Sad really. They really dropped the ball on this one. I wish I splurged and bought the Yamaha DM1000, or better yet an analog rig. Ah well, live and learn. I still make money with it, it's just frustrating to use.

I originally got caught up thinking this one pice could be a mixer, DAW controller and 24 channel Firewire interface all in one. My thought now are to not go for the swiss army knife gear again.
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Addict

Thumbs down Re: worst gear purchase ever

Lexicon Core2 without a doubt. Never worked, never will. The only piece of gear I've ever seen with a copyright date of 1999 on it and it didn't support Windows 2000. Planned obsolescence. No more Lexicon gear ever.
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Addict

Thumbs down Bad Panasonic SV-3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney View Post
I've had bad experiences with two Panasonic SV-3800 DAT decks. The transports fail about once a year (a $600 repair), whereas the TASCAM 30 MKIIs (whatever) have been reliable for seven or eight years. Anybody else had this problem?
I bought one brand new and it was DOA. Had to harass the poor sales rep at the AES convention to get it repaired under warranty. Took 6 months. Bad video board (the board that amplifies the signal coming off the rotating heads). Last Panasonic anything I'll ever buy.
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
yes, and the problem with adats isn't that they sound bad, they can sound great, but they're bloody unreliable and a pain in the butt.
You gotta keep 'em clean. Not only the heads and tape path but also the belts. I cleaned mine so often I ended putting them on sliding rack rails. But they never pooped out during a session or a mix. I don't miss futzing with them though.
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Ampeg SVT 400T
Yamaha DTXpress II
Phonic power amp
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

TL Audio. Studio owner has one. I thought it sounded "cloudy" and "grungy". So now I steer him away from it every time. Tubes ain't everything.

The guy who sold me Logic (2.8). "Midi timing errors? I'm recording audio. What MIDI?"
This was fixed by the same guy selling me Samplitude.

DM-24. My main axe. I don't use the verb & the automation stinks but I've done many great sounding mixes on it. The o1v96 has lots o'good stuff under the hood but the user interface drives me up the wall. I'm looking at the dm-4800, probably to much money for a "controller".
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

joe meek jm 27 sdc
akg k66 and k44 headphones
behringer anything...
zoom anything...
digitech ot dod anything...
most boss pedals (with the exception of the loop station)
whirlwind mic eliminator
yamaha ns10
alesis monitor one
alesis 3630 comp
alesis ra-100 amp
m-audio universal expression pedal (it is not as universal as the name implies)

and the biggest bummer of them all
motu midi timepice AV ser/paralell version...i
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Trident s100
Focusrite Platinum Voicmaster
Old 14th January 2007

For all the people bashing the Korg X5D, al I have to say is...What the heck did you expect for $550 (US)? They are fine for live performance (not studio!!) and really are not difficult to figure out.

My worst gear purshace? A Behringer Aural Exciter. I only paid $80 for it. I figured for 80 bucks, why not? I quickly found out why. Should have brought a Mogami cables instead.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

If I added up all the gear slammed here, I think I'd be left with a cassette porta studio and an SM57. I knew these were the best way to go, now you guys confirmed it.
Old 14th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-res View Post
A Neve clone I bought from Brent Averill. Sounded crappy the moment I got it and sold it soon after. Bought a Vintech and haven't looked back!
Hehe. I brought a BAE 1272, hooked it up in the chain and it had no bottom end at all. I called Mark at BAE and he said to send it back. He tested it and said it worked fine, but if I didn't like it he would just refund the money.

Well, I heard so many good thangs about BAE that I just took it back and tried it again, comvinced that the problem was on my end. I was right. Someone hooked up the wrong cable to the RNC being used (why don't they have a xlr connection??). Yep, the old impedence mismatch. I can say that I love the sound of my 1272--now that the right cable is being used.

Since I posted again I better add another bad gear purchase. Years ago--many, many years--the band brought Peavey CS800's with built in compression for live performance. The compression was so heavy that it was unuseable. They sucked the tone and life out of every note that was amplified. Plus they weighed about 9000 lbs. each, it seemed.
Old 14th January 2007
worse of digital...

BEHRINGER VARICURVEdfegad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search