The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Worst gear purchase?
Old 17th November 2006
Gear Maniac

GML 2020. Awesome mic pre, phenomenal EQ. Does anyone know how to work the f****** dynamics section. Unless your george massenburg dont bother pretending you do!
Old 17th November 2006
Lives for gear

I'm not sure if I've answered this thread already, but I have no doubt Slipperman will let me know.

My worst gear purchase ever was a used Erlewine mini guitar like the one used by Michael J. Fox in Back To The Future. What's it called? The Chaquita Travel Guitar.

http://www.erlewineguitars.com/pgs/chiquita.htm

Erlewine's done some great work for me here in Austin -- I've got a Fernandes Strat that's a monster mofo. But the Chaquita guitar should be billed as "Guaranteed Never To Stay In Tune -- Ever."

And I can say the same for the Baby Taylor I owned. Nice idea these small guitars, but they just don't stay in tune.

Now I've got a Collings C-10. That's a great small guitar. Sounds amazing and holds tune very well.

Jasper
Old 20th November 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
hmmmmmmmm, the dm24 is the centerpiece of my studio and I've never had the problem you're talking about (possibly because I've updated the firmware etc). It's an incredible unit, virtually impossible to make the stereo bus or anything else clip so there must have been something funny with yours or with the early ones.

Thanks to people like you who got on the bandwagon and jumped right off again I bought mine for $650 used in perfect condition and it's been amazing ever since so all I can say is thanks - your loss is my gain!

Too bad it didn't work for you though, it's one of the best respected digital mixers there is, tone of the pres etc blows away the yamahas that I've used.

Cheers,
Don
I like mine too. It can be complicated, but while there are limitations it's pretty flexible when you get to know it.
Old 20th November 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the russian View Post
OKAY HERE'S A REALLY BAD ONE:

The "Jaz" Drive, big brother of the "Zip" drive. They held a lot more data than the Zip disks but they were more of a cassette-type cartidge. The disks were like $40 bucks a piece where I lived and the machine was compatible with NOTHING!
man, jaz drives really suck monkey di**. i have had countless of theese drives fail on me back in the days. zip drives were better. ez drives were not.

m
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

Octava Ribbon Mic. Can you say "quality control"?
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

POD Latency

Quote:
Originally Posted by echorec View Post
I know many people likes it but I felt that it had a bit of latency and that made it totally unusable for me so I sold it right after I bought it (bought it used so I got my money back).
YES!!!! I have had this conversation many times and guys deny the delay inherant in this thing!!!! Drives me crazy!

Hoping that Namm brings a new POD with faster chips and super low latency - maybe then I could use the damn thing.
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

tritone digital colortone pro stike

the sad thing is that it's quite a good plug but there is a neverending compatibility struggle between PT, pluggo and ttd. never managed to get it working 100%, it was either beeping on startup or causing CPU spikes.
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

Just bought a new fridge...........arguing with the sales people to take it back....listen to this........ dfegad
Attached Files

LIEBHERR.mp3 (753.3 KB, 835 views)

Old 15th December 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by edham View Post
POD Latency

YES!!!! I have had this conversation many times and guys deny the delay inherant in this thing!!!! Drives me crazy!

Hoping that Namm brings a new POD with faster chips and super low latency - maybe then I could use the damn thing.
LOL, I use it to mangle echo returns.

HEADROOM, maybe your fridge needs a nice big torrodial trafo. Maybe you can have it modded.
Old 15th December 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just bought a new fridge...........arguing with the sales people to take it back....listen to this........

WTF!!

We've got a liebherr too I believe, but ours sound pretty good, you must have got a bad one, try to replace the tube!
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

bedankt voor de tip jongens...
Old 15th December 2006
Gear Head

i'm like Jules. had an akai s900 AND s1000 that i could never bother myself with learning.

anyone remember Digibid? i bought way too much crap there for awhile.

but my winner for worst purchase.... the Roland 1680. i wanted something that i could slave to 2" tape. luckily a producer i knew really liked them and wanted another and i was able to unload it to him without too much of a loss.

bearhinger....dbx 266....ec80 tape echo, without the tape....
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

Presonus Firestation. The single worst purchase I or any other proaudiophile has ever bought. It didn't work. Ever. Lots of chats with Presonus never did anything. I rang them again recently and they basically said it will never work. I don't trust them now. They don't deserve my trust. $800 completely wasted. $800!!!

PRESONUS
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

a korg A5 pedalboard for guitar...

the absolute worst piece of gear i've ever had... never used it, too much noise... traded it for a pair of 6l6 tubes... i was a lot happier with the tubes (while they lasted...) early digital technology.... argggggh!
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADROOM View Post
Just bought a new fridge...........arguing with the sales people to take it back....listen to this........ dfegad
must be a new style, british new wave band-
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

I know an A&R that would go for it....

Honestly, I have owned a lot of gear in the past, that I really lost money on (emulator 2 comes to mind)
Some of the bad sounding expensive junk is still in my rack. But some of it you get to like for their crappiness: Ursa major Space Station.....dreadful but great for garage sounds....

But there is no way im getting used to that fridge...dfegad
Old 15th December 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
.dbx 266
sold mine last week. JOY
Attached Thumbnails
Worst gear purchase?-picture-5.jpg  
Old 15th December 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADROOM View Post
But there is no way im getting used to that fridge...dfegad
nah man, let them take it back. under european law, you can take back anything you bought within 2 weeks. so if they try to screw around, demand a refund. hoppekee!
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

Cool

oh.... and of course my favorite pc nightmare --- MOTU midi timepice AV serial.parallel

lot's of problems with it ... sold it replced with a cheap midiman 4x4, am a lot happier now...
Old 15th December 2006
Gear Addict

Presonus MP-20. Audible power supply hum at high gain. Presonus said "ribbons need more gain" and that MP-20 was working properly. Fine. Sold it. Sounded no better than a Mackie, IMO, anyway....

~~~~Mark S.
Old 22nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Everything that uses Mlan.

Good Concept that never worked in the real world. Had a Yamaha i88x, Motif ES and 01x.

What a waste of Time and Money !!!

Merry Xmas 2 everyone
Old 22nd December 2006
Gear Addict

RNC. But I sold it for more than I paid new, so can't complain too much.
Old 22nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicylime View Post
Presonus Firestation. The single worst purchase I or any other proaudiophile has ever bought. It didn't work. Ever. Lots of chats with Presonus never did anything. I rang them again recently and they basically said it will never work. I don't trust them now. They don't deserve my trust. $800 completely wasted. $800!!!

PRESONUS

O man, that's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this thread. I bought one when they came out, and the damn thing just never worked. Then they dropped support for it. I bought a FIREPod later figuring I could use the Firestation as an analog pre at least, and the FIREPod sucked! What I heard out of my monitors (aside from the sizzly overhyped sound itself) wasn't even remotely what the sound was going to disk. I traded them both almost immediately after that.

I'll add the Mesa Boogie Nomad series amps. I had a Nomad 45 combo that was one of the worst, most boxy and craptastic amps I have ever heard.
Old 22nd December 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicylime View Post

PRESONUS
Ditto here. The whole FIREstation debacle was/is surely criminal. After a year of living hell I put some pressure on my dealer who then got PreSouns to take the unit back from him so I got a full refund. (Todd at SoundPure rocks!)

Man, I'm getting all worked up again just thinking about the aggravation. My first and last piece of PreSonus junk.
Old 23rd December 2006
Gear Guru

Wow. What was it not doing? Price drop to $500. I wasn't even thinking of buying one, but it never worked at all, or it never did some specific thing at all?
Old 23rd December 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Wow. What was it not doing? Price drop to $500. I wasn't even thinking of buying one, but it never worked at all, or it never did some specific thing at all?
You're probably thinking of the FirePod on that price drop. The FIREStation was discontinued a couple years back. Essentially, it was an m-Lan device which meant it never, ever, EVER worked properly with the computer. The only kernel panics I ever had on my Macs were caused by this device. PreSonus blamed Yamaha, Yamaha claimed everything was fine. Apple asked "What the hell is m-Lan?". A nightmare of passing the buck if there ever was one. PreSonus should have done an outright recall and bit the buck on this product. I doubt many of the original purchasers are terribly loyal to PreSonus now.

I thought the hardware itself was nice for the money: decent sounding pres, decent converters, etc.. I definitely noticed a negative difference when I went to the 828MKII. But, my MOTU has never given me problem one so I gladly moved on.
Old 23rd December 2006
Gear Addict

Focusrite Saffire

I bought one so I could do some work up at the cottage. A good box in theory--that's why I bought it. It just never played nice with my Dell laptop. Clicks and pops every couple seconds in the audio. Focusrite Tech support was useless. Sold it to a client (I had him test it first, and it's working just fine for him).

Oh yeah, the next worst thing was that Dell laptop (5160). Overheated and shut itself off every few minutes if I was doing anything more than word processing. I'll never buy a PC or Dell again. I like Macs.

Also had a Mindprint Envoice a few years ago. Crap-a-licious sound with maybe 30db of dynamic range. Really the worst pre and EQ I've ever heard.
Old 23rd December 2006
Gear Maniac

Bass Pod XT pro.

So many settings, 2/3rds of which are unusable crap, and none of which come close to a simple Sansamp DI.
Old 23rd December 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VukOnCrack View Post
You're probably thinking of the FirePod on that price drop. The FIREStation was discontinued a couple years back. Essentially, it was an m-Lan device which meant it never, ever, EVER worked properly with the computer. The only kernel panics I ever had on my Macs were caused by this device. PreSonus blamed Yamaha, Yamaha claimed everything was fine. Apple asked "What the hell is m-Lan?". A nightmare of passing the buck if there ever was one. PreSonus should have done an outright recall and bit the buck on this product. I doubt many of the original purchasers are terribly loyal to PreSonus now.

I thought the hardware itself was nice for the money: decent sounding pres, decent converters, etc.. I definitely noticed a negative difference when I went to the 828MKII. But, my MOTU has never given me problem one so I gladly moved on.
I'm pretty sure what I saw was Firestation. I'm trying to recall the page.

Does it have adat I/O? 96k? I wonder if I could get one that isn't using the MLan. I mean I just need a 96k adat box, taking 4 Millennia pres to go into Metric Halo. I just would use the converters and Adat; maybe a few pres. Would be work for that? If it's been discontinued I should be able to get one cheap somewhere. I have to replace my 2408mkII so I can get the extra channels 96k SMUX Adat.
Old 23rd December 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I'm pretty sure what I saw was Firestation. I'm trying to recall the page.

Does it have adat I/O? 96k? I wonder if I could get one that isn't using the MLan. I mean I just need a 96k adat box, taking 4 Millennia pres to go into Metric Halo. I just would use the converters and Adat; maybe a few pres. Would be work for that? If it's been discontinued I should be able to get one cheap somewhere. I have to replace my 2408mkII so I can get the extra channels 96k SMUX Adat.
No, the FIREStation was limited to 48k because the first generation of m-Lan was only a 200 mbps protocol: hence couldn't handle the bandwidth of 96k. They stopped making these a few years ago: buyer beware. PreSonus just came out with something called the FireStudio. Could have been that. Or, it could have been the FirePod. The FirePod doesn't have ADAT, though, and in my experience using one a few times, the sonic quality is not as good as with the original FIREStation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search