The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I'm not a pirate
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'm not a pirate

I am at the studio. I am working on a song that requires Recycle to chop up some loops, to load into Stylus as Rex files.

Everything is fine, except Recycle decided to treat me (a paying and registered user) like a criminal and ask me to "insert disc to prove purchase." But I left the disc at home!

I am at the studio, which is a 90 minute roundtrip drive from my house.

I learned that Propellerheads does this --- periodically and randomly, Reason and Recycle will ask you for your disc to prove you are the correct owner. This is Propellerheads idea of software protection. I guess they don't use iLok.

So now my whole session has drawn to a halt because of this paranoid nonsense.

I don't care what anybody says; if your self-protection against piracy involves penalizing and inconveniencing your legitimate customers tutt , you better figure out a new way to protect yourself. 'Cause this sucks and it makes me angry.

I have never stolen software in my life and I have suffered so much red tape and registration/authorization/password/verification gobbledygook. I feel like the guy who pulls up to the gas station after someone has run off without paying. All I want to do is pay for my gas and then, y'know, get my gas.

On my way home to get my installation disc...

dfegad Propellerheads
--- Chad
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Pay for the software, then download cracked versions from a P2P client and install them instead.

That is the RIHGT thing to do, morally...to yourself...get it?
Old 4th July 2005
Motown legend

I've found the right thing to do is simply to always bring my authorizations with me exactly as I would a piece of hardware. The dongles are making this lots easier than it used to be.

Unfortunately there IS something worse than copy protection which is when a developer goes under. A few years later, your whole investment is useless.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Pirate response-

Avast! I can truly sympathize with ye. Ye know o' what ye speak, but nary a one them ungrateful rabble o' a scurvy crew o' engineers have mutinied and sent t' software aft for a refund! I suggest ye should smartly be puttin' on a eye patch, pickin' up a grog o' ale and set t' hoistin those group o' salty software dogs from t' nearest yardarm! ARRRRRRR!
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Maniac

check for updates as well.
most of the later upgrades from propheads takes this complaint into consideration.
i think my reason 2.5 latest upgrade only required the library disc when i installed it.
SS, i'm feelin' it. time suckers are antithetical to productivity.
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Question

Mooderaatooooor?

ruudman
Old 12th July 2005

yeah its a slight PITA, but I carry a small CD case with ALL my original discs in....to every session. Its the only way to cover yer ass!
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom
Pay for the software, then download cracked versions from a P2P client and install them instead.

Heck, the warez stuff is sometimes more stable anyway. I have done this same thing with Reaktor after my USB dongle got chewed by my dog. I am a registered owner of Reaktor, but I run a warez version on my machine.
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultureofgreed
Heck, the warez stuff is sometimes more stable anyway. I have done this same thing with Reaktor after my USB dongle got chewed by my dog. I am a registered owner of Reaktor, but I run a warez version on my machine.

Warez is dumb... DUMB. Good luck with your more "stable" version. hahaha
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Don't need luck, my version 3 of reaktor has run perfect for - has it been 2 years now? That dongle is long gone.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

I wish that 'pay for the software and run the warezed software' approach would work better, tried it once (with stuff I'd already paid for) and the whole setup went nuts and I had to reinstall Windows etc.

I'm convinced it's the dongles that sometimes crashes my computer.. can't live with them, can't live without them apparently..

Copy protection's a bitch. dfegad
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey, I feel your pain! I've had the exact same thing happen to me with Recyle at an inopportune moment. I wish those guys would have it in some conspicious place in the documentation so it would have at least not been a total surprise.

I personally wouldn't go with the suggested warez solution - you might be fine, but you could also be opening yourself to a world of hurt. Who knows who's been doing what to the code in the application.

-KD03
Old 4th May 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post

Or just learn to crack... heh
Old 4th May 2009
Gear Addict

I hate to say it, but this is the one instance where I agree with the posters advocating the use of cracks of Propellerheads software, but ONLY for registered users.

I purchased and installed Recycle, and learned how to use it. Then I few to a session in another city. When I had to slice a loop Recycle asked for the install disc, without any warning. A simple "You have 7 days in which to insert your original installer disc" message would have been nice, because I could have had someone fly the disc out to me. When I emailed Propellerheads about this (multiple times) they didn't even respond. They obviously don't care too much about people who use their software.

Also, I've read the manual cover to cover and it doesn't indicate the period of this cd insertion requirement. If I knew when it will happen I can program an iCal alarm, but it seems to be random. Has anyone else figured out how many days elapse between cd requests?
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear

personally ive found it useful to create an ISO image of all my prop'heads disks and store them on my back up drive, then if i ever get asked to insert the original (which is about once a year at most) i just mount the ISO image with daemon tools and its sorted.

this also works as a great back-up incase the disk ever gets damaged.
Old 5th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
personally ive found it useful to create an ISO image of all my prop'heads disks and store them on my back up drive, then if i ever get asked to insert the original (which is about once a year at most) i just mount the ISO image with daemon tools and its sorted.

this also works as a great back-up incase the disk ever gets damaged.
this is a good idea as I have used Reason 2.5 in the past for live shows and never gave time to the thought it might not work when I booted up because of a disc verification... scary!
Old 5th May 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigatron View Post
Warez is dumb... DUMB. Good luck with your more "stable" version. hahaha
If by dumb you mean less annoying and easier to get up and running with than legitimate software, then you're correct.

Authorisations/copy-protection/dongles piss me off. There will always be pirated versions of software. Apple have the right idea with Logic 8. Serial number and that's it.
Old 5th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid View Post
yeah its a slight PITA, but I carry a small CD case with ALL my original discs in....to every session. Its the only way to cover yer ass!
Great way to be sure, but if you ever lose that case, or it gets stolen.....you're REALLY screwed.
Old 5th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
If by dumb you mean less annoying and easier to get up and running with than legitimate software, then you're correct.

Seriously, authorisations/copy-protection/dongles piss me off. There will always be pirated versions of software and all the above just make legit users have a harder time. Apple have the right idea with Logic 8. Serial number and that's it! No dongle! No challenge/response! Put the number in and go.

That thar be my opinion.
FYI, if Logic 8 detects another instance of Logic on the same network running with the same S/N, it'll bitch at you and not start until you shut down the other one.

-Dan.
Old 6th May 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvatar View Post
FYI, if Logic 8 detects another instance of Logic on the same network running with the same S/N, it'll bitch at you and not start until you shut down the other one.

-Dan.
Seems fair.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search