The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
People with "real jobs" complaining about the studio business
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

People with "real jobs" complaining about the studio business

I was just reading some other forums and, as you know, there's lots of talk (write?) these days about how the studio business is affected by the economy, etc. Many people chimed in about how business is dropping and said things like "if it wasn't for my day job as head of programming for ATT, I'd be in bad shape." I DON'T WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU PEOPLE!!! For you, this is a hobby. For many of us, it is our lifeblood. Let's make it a rule that only people who own/operate a studio as a full time, sole source of income can complain, comment, forecast, etc on how the business is treating them.
Old 12th February 2009
Smile

ok, fair enough...

...so, as a FULL TIME OUT OF WORK PROFESSIONAL, do i get to comment?..heh...

Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

It's like the difference between a real musican that only does that for a living, and one that has a "day job" between gigs. There is a big difference, especially when they are in the studio together. Guess who wins... the player who only does music for a living. The other one can shut up and leave the room.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

I am really glad i only do Music as a hobby now.I earn more i sleep more and i am getting way more music done then ever.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, the music is much better as a hobbie.
I shut my doors years ago when I had turned it into work.

The only thing I can complain about now is whiny full-time musicians complaining about being broke while continuing to follow the "dream".
Get a job!

D
Old 12th February 2009
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Yeah, the music is much better as a hobbie.
I shut my doors years ago when I had turned it into work.

The only thing I can complain about now is whiny full-time musicians complaining about being broke while continuing to follow the "dream".
Get a job!

D

lol...tru dat.

Old 13th February 2009
It's true, it's lonely at the top....
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
It's true, it's lonely at the top....
Hey, it's easier to be at the top when you live on a mountain...
Old 13th February 2009
But-- doesn't make it any less lonely! View is great, though...
Old 13th February 2009
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaw View Post
Hey, it's easier to be at the top when you live on a mountain...

yeah, joel...how's it going up there?...

windy like a mutherf*kker over here...i hear it's worse down in the city - all kindsa accidents, and the top level of the gw closed, etc.

you surviving, so far?...let me know if you need some extra old printers...heh

Old 13th February 2009
Wind? I woulda sworn those were freight trains flying through the air last night!

You know what, printers are lasting longer than ever, the latest one went nearly a whole year, if you can imagine!
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

ok, fair enough...

You get to be our poster child!
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
I propose the opposite. Those who stay in the business, without adjusting for current conditions, who find themselves broke and/or taking less than pleasurable work, have no right to complain. They brought it upon themselves. Those who either adjusted for the current conditions, or those who took on a non-music related "day job" so that they can continue what they love to do, are allowed to complain, because at least they are proactive in a solution to the problem.
Did Chris Stone (founder of Record Plant) have a "day job"? Did George Martin have a "day job"? Does Mutt Lange have a "day job". Does Michael Wagener have a "day job"?

Those of you who fund your studio efforts via a day job are POSERS, pure and simple. If you were the real thing, you'd find ways to make it work. Period.

I've found that when people have something to "fall back on", they usually do just that. If you have no other alternatives, you will be forced to make it succeed.
Old 13th February 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
I propose the opposite. Those who stay in the business, without adjusting for current conditions, who find themselves broke and/or taking less than pleasurable work, have no right to complain. They brought it upon themselves. Those who either adjusted for the current conditions, or those who took on a non-music related "day job" so that they can continue what they love to do, are allowed to complain, because at least they are proactive in a solution to the problem.
Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Addict View Post

Those of you who fund your studio efforts via a day job are POSERS, pure and simple. If you were the real thing, you'd find ways to make it work. Period.
Wanting to seperate passion from profession makes one a poser? Wow, you are an egocentric blowhard
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did Chris Stone (founder of Record Plant) have a "day job"? Did George Martin have a "day job"? Does Mutt Lange have a "day job". Does Michael Wagener have a "day job"?
Um, I'm guessing at one point they probably did. Either way, comparing the current industry to that of even 10 years ago is just flat out unrealistic. Maybe in Ohio, you are the only recording guy for 100 miles, but out here in Cali everyone and their grandma has a recording rig. Of course, I'm just a poser, so what do I know...
Old 13th February 2009
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Um, I'm guessing at one point they probably did. Either way, comparing the current industry to that of even 10 years ago is just flat out unrealistic. Maybe in Ohio, you are the only recording guy for 100 miles, but out here in Cali everyone and their grandma has a recording rig. Of course, I'm just a poser, so what do I know...

and x2, joe porto.

Old 13th February 2009
Smile

Quote:
You get to be our poster child!

thanks......so what did i win?..

Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filin View Post
Wanting to seperate passion from profession makes one a poser? Wow, you are an egocentric blowhard
I'm speaking in the context of my original post. It's really annoying to hear guys making $75,000 with benefits from their "day job" complaining about the downturn in the studio industry, when I'm one the guys who has chosen to make 100% of their income from music for 30 years now.

Perhaps other people in my position might feel the same way. And I can see where those of you with the cushy jobs and the weekend studios feel offended by my comments. You obviously didn't have the guts, talent, or drive to make it work without a "back up plan".

Go on, I can take it.
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe in Ohio, you are the only recording guy for 100 miles, but out here in Cali everyone and their grandma has a recording rig.
Here in Ohio, the situation is the same as in CA, only adjusted relative to population. Everyone who makes music seems to have some sort of setup and everyone thinks they can do just as well for less.
Old 14th February 2009
Smile

bottom line: you can't compete with free.

everything in the earnings column above "free" is a gift from the lord in heaven above ...
...(and i don't even believe in that sh&t)...

Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
You obviously didn't have the guts, talent, or drive to make it work without a "back up plan".

Go on, I can take it.
If you're "making it" without a backup plan, then what are you complaining about? If you're not making it without a backup plan, then maybe your just a "poser".
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

I was with you until you got on your high horse and began tilting at straw men who you imagine are civil engineers or something with cushy jobs complaining about the state of the market... Either you have heard a very few "hobbyists/posers" and took this to be the norm or you're just being a jerk because you're bored since studio business slowed down. er, I mean, since all of the posers started stealing your client base. If you carry this attitude into the studio I could understand why business might be slowing down, competitive market and all.
Old 14th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

ok, fair enough...

What, Obama hasn't found you a job yet? . Are you still drinking the Kool-Aid?(lol)
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course, I'm just a poser, so what do I know...
It's OK. So am I.
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

I can understand OPs point of view. Hard to complain about "the business" taking a down turn if its not "really" your business. Not saying anything about quality or performance or ability or even how good you sound, just simply where you get your money to live your life from.

I had worked professionally in the business for a while. I worked for a record label and a professional studio as the managing engineer, got burned out on the assholes in the industry to the point when I got out, I pretty much sold everything I had and didnt pick up a guitar for about a year or so after that.

Since I got out, Im more choosy about who I work with, I get tons more music done, dont have to put up with all the political BS, can afford and have much nicer equipment and take much more joy in my work (or play as I call it now) than ever before. I no longer deal with jerks in my studio nor do I have to worry about people stealing **** from me. I still make good music and am fulfilled by it. If that makes me a poser... so be it.
Old 14th February 2009
7+1
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=

Those of you who fund your studio efforts via a day job are POSERS, pure and simple. If you were the real thing, you'd find ways to make it work. Period..[/QUOTE]

im sorry but youre an idiot with that remark... seriously.. and i do it full time and have nothing else coming in for income.. we live in a different world then geroge martin..ect..
that was when a recording engineer was a real career with staff positions at every studio... its a way different story these days... you should know that.
Old 14th February 2009
Gear Nut

My day job is post production, VO recording, etc... Keeps my chops up, and lets me come home and enjoy making music at night. So what am I in this discussion?

Oh yeah. Employed.
Old 14th February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 View Post
that was when a recording engineer was a real career with staff positions at every studio... its a way different story these days... you should know that.
it has NEVER been a real career - it's ALWAYS been hard to get into, and it's ALWAYS not needed many people..... just even more so these days.

As with all industry - you may make as much commentary as you like - but until you are a an earning professional your opinion has little impact. Nothing wrong with having an opinion, just as I often like to have an opinion on many other business areas - but in the end - the only one I get listened to in is the recording world.

I understand the OPs point - yes, a little bluntly put - but the reduction of interest in music as a sales medium has very little effect on anyone but the professional. If you run a demo studio - then this area just isn't pertinent to ya!!Likewise - if you become an EX-studio bod (which may happen to even my lot if things don't improve!) then your professional opinion becomes that of an EX-studio bod! simple....
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 View Post
im sorry but youre an idiot with that remark... seriously.. and i do it full time and have nothing else coming in for income.. we live in a different world then geroge martin..ect..
+1...I have been making music for 26 years and recording it...I WISH I had a day job to help out..I would love to be a POSER..exspaciely since it is slowly bringing some (not all) of you bubble heads back down to earth!!!....Come on Posers...let's finish cleaning house!!!
Old 14th February 2009
Quote:
...I've found that when people have something to "fall back on", they usually do just that. If you have no other alternatives, you will be forced to make it succeed.
Hey! That's my line! You owe me mechanical royalties! 8 cents for every computer screen that shows up on! Pay up, buddy!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search