The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG c1000 Hate thread.
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Nut

AKG c1000 Hate thread.

Is this microphone usable for anything?

It sounds like turd on oH's, it sounds like turd on high hats, it sounds like turd on everything you stick in front of it!!!

seriously, I've given it a go now and again, but it doesn't seem to have any endearing qualities at all!!

Does anybody have anything good to say about this mic?

Paul.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

Sufjan used it I believe on horns and who knows what else on his Illinois album. That is still one of my favorite modern recordings.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureAudiouk View Post
Is this microphone usable for anything?
'It is a condensor mic!' 'It has way more high end than a SM57, it sounds PRO!'

For some people, especially with micing acoustic instruments live, that seems to be enough reasoning.

I'd say the c1000 is great for music stores trying to survive in the current hostile economy.....

Sarcasm aside, I DID use a c1000 once for brightening up a very mellow sounding Guild acoustic guitar and it worked very well indeed. I guess it also might work as a room mic in some situations.
Old 29th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
'It is a condensor mic!' 'It has way more high end than a SM57, it sounds PRO!'
um, a back-electret isn't it? probably spelt that wrong....and I think they're great for stirring a really big cup of coffee...preferably with lots of sugar so it makes sure it can't ever be used for recording again...
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Head

I've used it on acoustics (where I want a more percussive sound), guitar amps, as a close bass cab mic (with a LDC further back), underneath toms and occasionally for vocals (when I want to be eating the mic). My brother's done a bunch of demos where he recorded the entire kit with that one mic (foot in front and 6" above the kick) and they sounded surprisingly good. Nothing spectacular but versatile and really, really cheap. Then again, I don't exactly have the biggest mic cupboard in the world.

David
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Sufjan used it I believe on horns and who knows what else on his Illinois album. That is still one of my favorite modern recordings.
Horns? ok.. admittedly I haven't tried that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
I'd say the c1000 is great for music stores trying to survive in the current hostile economy.....
cynicism! I'm loving it

This is what c1000's are good for .. banging in nails! they ARE fairly well constructed.. but they just sound like poo, and talking about budget.. I can't think of a job that you couldn't use a cheap LDC (NT1a) or a pair of SE1a's (SDC) for, that it wouldn't sound better for!

Keep the love for the c1000 coming, if there is any!

Paul
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Guru

c1000 ? I have worked with a few at the schools, they sound great for the price and yes they are way better mics out there. But I have used them in live events and they sounded great. Really hard to break one as well, die hard mics, drop em and they keep working time after time even if the grill is smashed.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

Owned a C1000 for a couple of years. I wouldn't say I hated it. I sold it because just about every other mic I have sounded better for whatever application I tried to use it in. But hey, hate is a strong word. I just thought it sounded like ass.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear
Actually they sound really good when used as drumsticks.

To be fair, they were around before all the Rode and Chinese mics came on the market. Back then they were the only affordable condensers to most home studio or project guys. They deserve their place in history but you'd be crazy to use one today.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

For drums, not a close mic. I still use one for my kit, it's placed about 4 feet about a floor tom and ride cymbal, sounds really good. I have wrapped a bandana around the mic to cut down on the sound, and then placed a foam mic head on it. It's been there ever since. Also used it on a female voice for back up vocals a few times, turned out nice. Try not too push the input gain, this isn't a mic you try to get a "hot" sound out of in my opinion.
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
For drums, not a close mic. I still use one for my kit, it's placed about 4 feet about a floor tom and ride cymbal, sounds really good. I have wrapped a bandana around the mic to cut down on the sound, and then placed a foam mic head on it. It's been there ever since. Also used it on a female voice for back up vocals a few times, turned out nice. Try not too push the input gain, this isn't a mic you try to get a "hot" sound out of in my opinion.
OMGosh.. You take a terrible sounding mic and THEN wrap a bandana round it? and THEN a foam head! the very thought turns my ear stomach (whatever that is....) but I can't knock it till I've tried it.. so I'm off to find my bandana.. hell, I'll whip a few out, perhaps I can improve all my horrible sounding mics!

I'm only joking hehe.. glad it works for you.
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Nut

This was the only handheld condenser I had for mobile voice recording, and it made a mess of interviews with my beloved 96-year old grandmother that I used for an audio project. This mic did harm to my family, and posterity will take note.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

sorry to crash the hate-fest.

years ago i asked a platinum member of the aes society what he thought of my acoustic guitar sounds, and he said "great."

C1000... which are not as nice as my 451's or 184's etc... but on that day, in that cramped apartment, it's all i had so it's what was used, and it sounds cool.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

I use one all the time paired with a 414 for a nice percussive acoustic guitar in dense mixes. No doubt there are better mics out there, and i've never found
it effective on much of anything else, but for what I use it for it seems to do
it's job. No hate here, just judicious usage.
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Maniac

I used it many times in conjunction with Joe Meek VC1Q, and it sounded pretty good on acoustic guitars, and percussion... Maybe because VC1Q is a dark preamp.
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I have wrapped a bandana around the mic

I swear i read that as "Banana" and was about to ask "so how often do you have to change the skin to a fresh one so it doesnt get smelly?"
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

It is certainly NOT the swiss army mic that it claims to be... but I HAVE found uses for it.

On one particular drum kit, in a particular room, a pair of C1000s got the nod for OH duty (X/Y) after out-doing some MC-012s, and NT2-As... the AKGs just happened to sound better on the toms and nicely brightened up the somewhat dark and dull hats.

I have also gotten usable results on darker acoustic guitars (with some carefull placement), and used a pair for stereo location mics on several occasions (where their battery-power feature came in handy). They also make decent drum OHs for live gigs, and work quite well in this application with the hper-card "thingy" installed.

One thing I will agree on though.... they are terrible vocal mics
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

Best use for these is as "reporter mic", plug it in to your camcorder and there you have a usable interviewing mic.

and oh, I once used C1000 in recording a buzuki and it worked like a charm
(maybe because the buzuki itself has quite a lot of attack and presence)

-Tomi
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

i have actually had success with it, at times that is, as a guitar room mic and in live applications. there certainly are better options for the money nowadays.
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Maniac

One of the guys in Tape Op (Andy Hong) used to write all the time about how he loved to stick a C1000 close to the snare, pointing directly at the side of the shell.

I imagine the cheap AKG mics have done a lot to hurt their brand, actually. The C3000b sounds like an electric knife on top of a pile of dirty dishes. Sometimes that sound can really kill, though. Also, it has a good shockmount which I use to replace the Audio Technica rubber-band shockmounts.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

C1000

I used to get decent results on my pair as overheads and on acoustic guitar. I know that this is the microphone everyone loves to hate...and this consistent beatdown influenced me selling my pair...but I have to say they worked great for my applications. I guess if you have 414s, Oktavas, Neumanns, etc....you can afford to hate on them cuz you have different choices. They did seem a bit bright...but I liked a shimmery sound palate on my cymbals and acoustic. This has changed somewhat now...
Old 29th January 2009
Here for the gear

AKG brand dilution

The only AKG mic I have is a D770 dynamic, which I like for what it is. Easily the measure of an SM58. The thing is I bet AKG make a lot of good mics, but they insist on competing for the low end of the market with a gazillion cheap mics, which sort of degrades the whole brand image. This is simliar to the hi-fi arena where once mighty brands like Advent and JBL are degraded into mass market garbage.

Beyer is an example of a company that makes some cheap mics, but doesn't let that get in the way of making some seriously good professional tool mics. Personally I'm jonesing for a AKG C391 which I've heard is quite good, but kind of under the radar...Back to the C1000s - as someone pointed out - it used to be one of the only cheap mics of its kind. However it's probably high time they redesigned it from the sound of things. I'm sure the company has got the talent.

-telehack
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

I guess I got sucked in by the reverse-psychology of it all, but I used one on a ride and it sounded surprisingly good.
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Really hard to break one as well, die hard mics, drop em and they keep working time after time even if the grill is smashed.
Sounds like you're not trying hard enough... keep at it.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

I'm always volunteering to take up for the c1000, before I started hanging around on Gear Slutz, I really had no idea what the opionion was on this mic... and actually never really thought about. I know that I went to a friends house to record some drum tracks, and he had a mic on the kick, one on the snare, and Two C1000's as overheads, 4 mics, and had a wonderful drum sound happening. So i bought a pair myself, I thought that the highend range was sharper sounding at my studio (and cymbals) then his, so I used the bandana technique mentioned earlier to sorta dampen that, did the trick!. Since then, I've kept one as an overhead over on my right side to capture a floor tom and my ride, on the other side, I'm using
a perception 420 because it has a few mic patterns to choose from, and sounds cool as a different type of overhead.

So the C1000 has never really ruined my day, and I get compliments on my drum sound pretty often, so I'll stand up for it. It does what I need it to do. Now I use the extra one to capture random conversations in my studio (it hangs off my wall from flagpole holder), so when the night has gotten late, and friends are gettin rowdy and "talky", I'll just casually hit record, and listen back later at all the "sh T talkin" that was done the night before. Picks up the little conversation area nicely!
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dee View Post
Sounds like you're not trying hard enough... keep at it.
LOL
Old 30th January 2009
it's alright...

ok on sax, ok on vocals, ok on guitar, etc.

it's good for just "sketching" ideas down, but i'd never use it as a tool for making the final recording.
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

never had luck with it, strange sound, don´t need it, much luck
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

What it lacks in sound, it makes up for in ugliness.
Old 30th January 2009
god i hate this mic, it feels good to finally say it. there are sooo many around, why????
Closed
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear