The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG c1000 Hate thread.
Old 1st July 2020
Gear Head

Adding my 2c

I used one back in the early 90s and yeah found it kinda harsh, definitely not warm like a U87 or even a Rode NT2 that I had at the time.

But after watching various shootouts and comparison videos, I’d been thinking about buying a new MKIV version to try for myself, and so just today opened it up and used it.

I think it sounds pretty good. Nowhere near as harsh as I remember. Nowhere near as tinny as detractors like to say. Much warmer and smoother than I expected actually.

I A/B’d it with a Rode NT3, which was hotter, has crisper more detailed top end. But the c1000s was better than I thought based on all the hate it gets.

I like the widgets, they do change the sound - a hypercardioid condenser is a pretty cool feature for live mics.

So anyway I’m digging it. Was 40% off for a sale, so for the price I’m very happy with it.
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear
This thread started in 2009. I hadn’t noticed it before today. But I have hated the c1000 Since at least 2009. Hate ages like a fine wine!
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Nut

Are you guys all talking about the chinese (black) version, or the Austrian (grey) version? Don't think these two mics have much in common besides the name.

I have the Austrian version and use them for overheads. They sound pretty nice compared to my Audix ADX51.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

It's one of the best all around microphones for the price. I had 2 OF THEM A LONG TIME AGO...... BUT....A long time ago , I was still using analog tape and with modern digital recording they are much less forgiving. I think anyone with enough effort/time and skill in placement can make these sound great .
Closed
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear