The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Metric Halo are ********
Old 24th May 2006
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckpunk
Then you say this. ???? This reads like your hardware given identity is one of the unfairly treated masses of pc users??

I don't look at my computer as if it somehow is a direct link to the gods.
It's a box filled with electonic componenst that i use to do work on.
Now of course, Mac's use the exact same components, so it's all pretty funny.

I also can't believe that someone resurected this almost year old thread.
And still no drivers for PC's.
Old 24th May 2006
  #62
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
And there probably won't be any drivers for PCs this time next year either. Not that that's a bad thing . . .
Old 25th May 2006
  #63
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett
And there probably won't be any drivers for PCs this time next year either. Not that that's a bad thing . . .
Wow, the arrogance.
Old 25th May 2006
  #64
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Oh I know it's not arrogance because I know them. Like has been said several times before in this very thread, they are busy working on current applications and fixing things and developing other things. As small a company as they are if they suddenly dropped everything and put out windows drivers they'd be inundated with work and demands well beyond what they have resources for. But everyone's hoping they'll be successful enough to hire the kind of staff to get the kind of resources they need to do that very thing, soon.

And the above is BTW what I meant by it not necessarily being a bad thing.
Old 25th May 2006
  #65
Lives for gear
 
tnjazz's Avatar
Now that Macs are using the Intel chips and can run Windows anyway, there is absolutely NO reason not to buy a Mac. Then you really can have your cake and eat it too.

So what's the point of this thread? To bash Metric Halo? Seems silly now...

Dirk
(Who just bought himself a Macbook and is anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new ULN-2!)
Old 25th May 2006
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjazz
Now that Macs are using the Intel chips and can run Windows anyway, there is absolutely NO reason not to buy a Mac. Then you really can have your cake and eat it too.
Yes there is.
I use a magma 4-slot and a PCMCIA card for my 4 UAD-1 cards on my laptop.
The new Mac''s don't have them.No PCMCIA on a Macbook.

Therefore useless to me.
Old 25th May 2006
  #67
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett
Oh I know it's not arrogance because I know them. Like has been said several times before in this very thread, they are busy working on current applications and fixing things and developing other things. As small a company as they are if they suddenly dropped everything and put out windows drivers they'd be inundated with work and demands well beyond what they have resources for. But everyone's hoping they'll be successful enough to hire the kind of staff to get the kind of resources they need to do that very thing, soon.

And the above is BTW what I meant by it not necessarily being a bad thing.

Except that maybe by having PC drivers, they might have a larger userbase, since most Mac users are also PT users, and have no use for the Metric Halo.
Old 25th May 2006
  #68
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
I doubt their user base would grow much.

Metric Halo makes premium grade audio interfaces. Windows users who are not using Pro Tools are, by definition, the cheapest and least discerning customers in the consumer-prosumer-pro audio market.

Not all of them of course, but that's a fair description of the group as a whole. If you were less frugal and more discerning, you would have a Mac for your pro audio. And yes, it really is that simple.

Windows users also cost ten times more money to support, between driver issues on a far more diverse platform, a vastly more buggy platform, and a vastly less savvy installed user base.

This is why few pro audio companies have "gone PC" in the past five years, while several have "gone Mac" and several have dumped Windows entirely. It's also why MOTU has never seriously supported Windows, and why Digidesign no doubt would take it back if they could. (They introduced Windows products in the mid-1990's, when Apple's longterm viability was legitimately in question.)

(As a side note, it is telling that Pro Tools, Digital Performer and Logic, all Mac-oriented programs, also have excellent interoperability -- sharing DAE hardware and dealing seamlessly with OMF files, which seem to baffle Nuendo and Sonar folks completely.)

This is not to say that Metric-Halo is a perfect company, as they certainly are not. But their products are pretty damned tasty, and of tremendous value. And I can't blame them, or anyone, for not supporting Windows for pro audio devices. To borrow an idea from the TLM-103 thread, just because it's possible to get good results from a device doesn't make it a professional, quality product. That's Windows pro audio.

JSL
Old 25th May 2006
  #69
Lives for gear
 
tnjazz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
Yes there is.
I use a magma 4-slot and a PCMCIA card for my 4 UAD-1 cards on my laptop.
The new Mac''s don't have them.No PCMCIA on a Macbook.

Therefore useless to me.
OK, maybe a valid point, although for some reason the image of you hotwiring 4 UAD cards into a laptop strikes me as odd (it shouldn't, but it kinda does). If I had to do that I'd buy myself a desktop. Different strokes though, I guess...

Still, why bother? There are plenty of other tools out there for the Windows platform that are equal or better to the Metric Halo products. You're probably using them now, since you can't use Metric Halo. So why bother griping about it at all?

Bottom line is they made a company decision to do things this way. Get over it and get on with it. Or bite the bullet and buy a G5 or something...!

I liked what they had to offer enough to go out and buy a Macbook. Never owned a Mac before, and have always been a Windows guy. I was blind, but now I see.

Dirk
Old 25th May 2006
  #70
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin
I doubt their user base would grow much.

Metric Halo makes premium grade audio interfaces. Windows users who are not using Pro Tools are, by definition, the cheapest and least discerning customers in the consumer-prosumer-pro audio market.

Not all of them of course, but that's a fair description of the group as a whole. If you were less frugal and more discerning, you would have a Mac for your pro audio. And yes, it really is that simple.

Windows users also cost ten times more money to support, between driver issues on a far more diverse platform, a vastly more buggy platform, and a vastly less savvy installed user base.

This is why few pro audio companies have "gone PC" in the past five years, while several have "gone Mac" and several have dumped Windows entirely. It's also why MOTU has never seriously supported Windows, and why Digidesign no doubt would take it back if they could. (They introduced Windows products in the mid-1990's, when Apple's longterm viability was legitimately in question.)

(As a side note, it is telling that Pro Tools, Digital Performer and Logic, all Mac-oriented programs, also have excellent interoperability -- sharing DAE hardware and dealing seamlessly with OMF files, which seem to baffle Nuendo and Sonar folks completely.)

This is not to say that Metric-Halo is a perfect company, as they certainly are not. But their products are pretty damned tasty, and of tremendous value. And I can't blame them, or anyone, for not supporting Windows for pro audio devices. To borrow an idea from the TLM-103 thread, just because it's possible to get good results from a device doesn't make it a professional, quality product. That's Windows pro audio.

JSL

What a load of ignorant, arrogant BS.
Old 25th May 2006
  #71
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjazz
OK, maybe a valid point, although for some reason the image of you hotwiring 4 UAD cards into a laptop strikes me as odd (it shouldn't, but it kinda does).

Dirk
Portability.
I ripped the guts out of ther Magma, and stuck it in a much smaller case.
That's why I got the Firebox as well. Very small, enough I/O to do a 5.1 mix.
Old 25th May 2006
  #72
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin

This is why few pro audio companies have "gone PC" in the past five years, while several have "gone Mac" and several have dumped Windows entirely.

JSL

Yeah, I guess that's why the Digidesign Venue runs on windows. As does the TC system6000. And a variety of other pro products.

Do your homework before spouting nonsense.
Old 25th May 2006
  #73
Lives for gear
 
Improv's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
What a load of ignorant, arrogant BS.
I am nothing if not a diehard PC supporter. Always built em, maintained em, loved em, lived em. But Jay speaks the truth if you really stop and think about it. It's hard to be on the "ghetto" side of things, but with the market taken as a whole, that's where we are in PC land. It's nothing to be ashamed of, especially when you personally know the tricks that make XP/PCs work for you. But it's hard when the stock, buggy Dells and Gateways of the world (not to mention the hackers) bring down the aggregate state of PC-dom, but that's the way it is. Just smile and nod and say, "Why YES, your mac IS much more reliable, ISN'T it? heh "
Old 25th May 2006
  #74
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
Henchman, no doubt you will continue to be able to lob up straw man arguments while evading the main point. System 6000 was released in 1999 and probably was being developed in 1996, if not earlier.

Even more to the point, releasing a high-end turnkey system built atop an embedded Windows platform is obviously not the same thing as releasing a product to run on Windows generally. And you are smart enough to know this, if you choose to be.

To focus on the core idea here, I suggest you go back to the early sentences of my note, specifically:

"Windows users who are not using Pro Tools are, by definition, the cheapest and least discerning customers in the consumer-prosumer-pro audio market. Not all of them of course, but that's a fair description of the group as a whole."

I'm not trying to pass judgment on anyone here. Plenty of professional musicians use Windows with great results. But the plain, simple facts are as I stated them, and that's what you've got to live with -- and what Metric-Halo has to live with. To deny this is not to argue a point, but to be in denial of reality.

JSL
Old 25th May 2006
  #75
MDM
Gear Addict
 
MDM's Avatar
I would like that people here adress eachother a little more friendly

If I by any chance stepped on a PC-user's toes, forgive me

I also stated clearly, that I know of some great producers and studios who use PC and have excellent results --- and stated that I simply like Mac's more in general, because of some reasons ... like userfriendly-ness, steady-ness, comfort and design ... Which is my opnion
It just works well for me and that's it

No need for any discussions or biting eachother about it --- Grace is a virtue --

Peace MDM
Old 25th May 2006
  #76
Lives for gear
 
T.RayBullard's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
.. like userfriendly-ness, steady-ness, comfort and design ...

that is your opinion....dont go around spouting your opinion as fact. Sure, grace is a virtue, so is honesty and humility.

I have a powerbook here at my house that I have to use for work. I hate it. It isnt any more stable or user friendly than PC..no way.
Old 25th May 2006
  #77
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
I have a powerbook here at my house that I have to use for work. I hate it. It isnt any more stable or user friendly than PC..no way.
that is your opinion....dont go around spouting your opinion as fact. Sure, grace is a virtue, so is honesty and humility.
Old 25th May 2006
  #78
MDM
Gear Addict
 
MDM's Avatar
gosh

of course it is my opinion -- didnt come across like that ?

I said : I like it better because .. blahblahblah ..... " I LIKE I BETTER " is an opinion !
jeez
Old 25th May 2006
  #79
Lives for gear
 
cdog's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/
MACs are just more classy, more user-friendly, less buggy, more comfortable, much better designed, hipper, cooler and more professional than PC's ...
Well, at least Apple's marketing campaign is working well.

Old 25th May 2006
  #80
Gear Maniac
 
guid0's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
that is your opinion....dont go around spouting your opinion as fact. Sure, grace is a virtue, so is honesty and humility.
I have a powerbook here at my house that I have to use for work. I hate it. It isnt any more stable or user friendly than PC..no way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik
that is your opinion....dont go around spouting your opinion as fact. Sure, grace is a virtue, so is honesty and humility.
Wow! Almost like a forum version of the good ol' USENET cascade
Old 25th May 2006
  #81
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Yeah. That exchange is a classic!
Old 24th June 2006
  #82
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin
I doubt their user base would grow much.

Metric Halo makes premium grade audio interfaces. Windows users who are not using Pro Tools are, by definition, the cheapest and least discerning customers in the consumer-prosumer-pro audio market.

Not all of them of course, but that's a fair description of the group as a whole. If you were less frugal and more discerning, you would have a Mac for your pro audio. And yes, it really is that simple.

Windows users also cost ten times more money to support, between driver issues on a far more diverse platform, a vastly more buggy platform, and a vastly less savvy installed user base.

This is why few pro audio companies have "gone PC" in the past five years, while several have "gone Mac" and several have dumped Windows entirely. It's also why MOTU has never seriously supported Windows, and why Digidesign no doubt would take it back if they could. (They introduced Windows products in the mid-1990's, when Apple's longterm viability was legitimately in question.)

(As a side note, it is telling that Pro Tools, Digital Performer and Logic, all Mac-oriented programs, also have excellent interoperability -- sharing DAE hardware and dealing seamlessly with OMF files, which seem to baffle Nuendo and Sonar folks completely.)

This is not to say that Metric-Halo is a perfect company, as they certainly are not. But their products are pretty damned tasty, and of tremendous value. And I can't blame them, or anyone, for not supporting Windows for pro audio devices. To borrow an idea from the TLM-103 thread, just because it's possible to get good results from a device doesn't make it a professional, quality product. That's Windows pro audio.

JSL
I stumbled upon this by accident but This HAS got to be the MOST STUPID post I EVER read (Walters posts included). For which I give my kudo's to the author...
Old 28th June 2006
  #83
Gear Nut
 
Ricky's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
Why would you make Audio hardware that only Mac users can use.

How completely stupid.
Guess I won't be buying their gear when I upgrade my I/O.
Maybe when you grow up you can buy a Macintel (thats a joke joyce)
Old 28th June 2006
  #84
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky
Maybe when you grow up you can buy a Macintel (thats a joke joyce)

I don't plan to grow up. heh

Gotta run. My paintball gun is getting cold.
Old 30th June 2006
  #85
Gear Nut
 
music's Avatar
 

PC's SUCK! (Sorry)

I am just playing. This is sarcasm.

music
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump