The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The DAW wars.
Old 18th June 2005
Gear Head

The DAW wars.

It seems to me that there is no reason to slate another application or tool because you use another tool or app.

In many of the recent threads on SX performance and the copy protection, certain logic users rub their hands in glee, they have another chance to slag off Steinberg. Even when they obviously have little factual information.

It seems so pointless. I don't use logic, so I don't slate it. Neither did I marry any of the Steinberg products I use, so I do not have to have to defend them against mindelss onslaughts from users of other apps. I am happy to point out the good and bad of an application, but not so the respondants to some of these threads.

Why?

(as I Brit I learned the that "so and so SUCKS" means it is not good from Internet DAW forums- that says a lot)

(BTW I am still interested in the derivation of that word).
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

Some people need to argue. Pay no more attention than is needed.

FWIW, there's always someone who will take the wrong tack defending their choice of a/daw (analog or digital workstation).

When people ask me if they should buy Logic/PT/DP/Cubase, analog tape, I ask if the folks they work with use it - helpful friends are invaluable.

There is no one complete solution that I am aware of - other than writing great songs / cues, etc.

Best...H
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

A Steinberg vs Logic battle are like a tough derby between
teams from the same city
I believe it's natural to feel that you belong, wether it's
software, a footballteam (you'll never walk alone thumbsup )
and even more important stuff..
But I don't have a strong opinion on this, slagging off
can be pointless.

ruudman
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
A Steinberg vs Logic battle are like a tough derby between
teams from the same city

ruudman

in fact they are from the same city. now both are hold by big companys but emagic and steinberg are both located in hamburg, germany.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Maniac

There is a blind test between different DAW's going on at UAD forums right now. Look here :

http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/...pic.php?t=3100
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Head

Cool

I downloaded the first DAWx[1] song and it wouldn't play on WinAmp. It's a PCM file. WinAmp couldn't creat the proper buffer for it. Oh well. Such is life I guess.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

I posted a couple of DAW tests...the latest one here:

mix bus test #2

P.S. I bet file x in that test on the UAD board is Samplitude.

P.P.S. Those files, like the ones in my test, are 24 bit wav files, so you need to load them into something that will read those, like Wavelab or Cool Edit or whatever.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas
It seems to me that there is no reason to slate another application or tool because you use another tool or app.

In many of the recent threads on SX performance and the copy protection, certain logic users rub their hands in glee, they have another chance to slag off Steinberg. Even when they obviously have little factual information.

It seems so pointless. I don't use logic, so I don't slate it. Neither did I marry any of the Steinberg products I use, so I do not have to have to defend them against mindelss onslaughts from users of other apps. I am happy to point out the good and bad of an application, but not so the respondants to some of these threads.

Why?

(as I Brit I learned the that "so and so SUCKS" means it is not good from Internet DAW forums- that says a lot)

(BTW I am still interested in the derivation of that word).
Insightful post.

You'll see these types of mindless affiliations on all variations of internet forums.

It's a fear impulse. People need to defend their purchases, their way of working, their 'group'. Plus, in the age of vapid reality entertainment, people love drama more than a tangible but 'difficult' discussion on the merits of a certain app. Yeah high school bull**** finding its way into adulthood!

I know there's a dozen guys feeding their pissing monkey's Gatorade right now, but there's even a fare amount of this going on at gearsluts. A lot of either or thinking, slippery slope, people who are happy to tell you're 'wrong' or 'right' when it comes to a recording methodology.

People who post 1001 opinions but give you no link to ANY sort of audio work they've done!

And naturally it's not unusual to find that those who are the most dogmatic are the ones with the least impressive body of work.

The pros I've met don't so readily forge alliances, but rather voice preferences.

And while I'm on a irritable rant, what's up with all the lemmings on the Digi forum that anytime someone asks for a higher track count or auto delay compensation for LE there's always a fleet of regular posters defending digi with loyalist quips like 'you're already getting a great deal,' and 'nudging tracks doesn't take much time.' .... What???? Why do people feel the need to defend a manufacturer?? Do people not get that customer demand drives result? Baffling.
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Nut

the whole logic vs cubase thing is stupid. theres no way to rule out which one is better or worse. they dont even run on the same platforms and are subject to the limitations of their host OS. its like someone complaining how much they like chocolate and saying you're stupid for liking vanilla because chocolate is so much better. the only conclusion i can draw from this is that people have way too much free time on the internet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search