The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
are all groups like this one?
Old 21st March 2003
Here for the gear

are all groups like this one?

i have to tell someone who understands as my girlfriend doesn't make such a good audience. i have a (very) small studio in my bedroom, but somehow i manage to stay busy recording people. so these 3 guys come in to record, right? and somehow 2 vocalists and a vocalists/guitarist suddenly become experinced recording engineers... i don't know how it happened. they pay me to write a drum part for their song, they come in and listen and reject everything i'd done and basically rewrite the part themselves, they insist, "can you put a little more 'verb on the vocals?" so i turn it up till it sounds like they're singing in a grain silo... "hey yeah that sounds good..." they have me spend hours autotuning and copying and pasting choruses to perfection and whatnot. after all, they're paying me, i'm just supposed to make them happy, right? so then their "buddy who has a recording studio" comes over to listen and give a few suggestions (if he's so knowledgable, why didn't you record with him in the first place?) so first he addresses the drum part... "this part sounds unnatural..." and proceeds to advise them to change it back to roughly the original part i sequenced... funny, he never heard the part i did. then comes the "WHOA... way too much 'verb on those vox..."

frustrating, insulting session... don't mean to sound all doom and gloom on one of my firsts posts and stuff... just a crappy session and i needed to vent. anyone else had experiences like this?
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear

Been there, done that - too many times. It got to the point where I'd ask prospective clients "Who's producing the session?" If they said they were gonna produce themselves, I'd ask to hear other recordings they'd produced. When they couldn't 'produce' any :D , I'd just say I only book sessions with experienced producers. I weeded out a lot of time wasters and talentless wonders whom I would never want my name associated with. In many cases I got to hear the results (from some less scrupulous take-the-money-&-run studios who were my competition) of their first time self-produced "masterpieces". All I can say is thank God I didn't have to sit through those sessions.

Scott
Old 22nd March 2003
Gear Addict

and don't forget to charge by the hour!

(bill early and often)
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

no matter what their wishes are ...

" LET EM PAY "

if they dont like it in the end , they are gonna blame you for it anyway heh

dont get frustrated ...

opinions are like assholes - everybodys got one

good luck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search