The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mesa Bass Amp Totally Sucks
Old 28th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Mesa Bass Amp Totally Sucks

Last October 2 I bought a Mesa "Buster" bass amp. Two hundred toob watts into 2 10" speakers. Horrible squealing feedback at any volume. Warranty trip one, tubes swapped.

After repair, still fukt, no gain.

Repair 2, more tube swapping, lugs on tube sockets soldered.

After repair 2, still fukt, no gain.

It still didn't work after 2 warranty service trips.
We're talkin' flat out useless not workin NFG.

The amp was sent to the factory at least a month ago. The factory has not returned calls from the store about the amp's status.

The store where I bought the amp has advised me that half of all Mesa product that they sell is defective right out of the box.

I will never buy another Mesa product. And I buy about ten toob amps every year.

Not returning inquiries about failed five months old gear is indicative of an ATTITUDE OF TOTAL DISDAIN FOR CUSTOMERS. NEVER BUY MESA GEAR. IT IS GARBAGE AND THEY TREAT CUSTOMERS LIKE GARBAGE.

wurly
Old 2nd March 2003
Gear Maniac

Mesa update

In all fairness to the "fine people at Mesa" I have to report that Mesa did contact the retailer with a progress report on my amp. It shipped last Wednesday, The store did not pass that information to me in a timely manner. It has also been suggested that the warranty service people may not be top notch.

In any case, Mesa may not have screwed up as bad as my first posts said, but the fact remains that the amp in question has not worked for me the entire almost five months that I owned it. YMMV.

wurly
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Addict

Geez, want me to call a doctor, the whiplash from that backflip has gotta be killin ya!
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

Wurly,

I coulda told you that! I had the same amp in a 15" speaker form and I had problems with it. I generally stay away from Mesa amps when I can. The new ones anyway.
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Existance....

My back is fine. Thank you for your concern.

My conscience is fine too. Unlike many people, I feel duty bound to not spread disinformation or lies on the internet.

Mesa was NOT guilty of slow turnaround on the third repair, and they were NOT guilty of not returning inquiry calls as I thought during my first outraged post.

My Mesa amp DID require three repair runs to finally work. I was deprived of it's use for over five months. I am not a fan of Mesa, but I will not purposely spread lies about them, the truth is bad enough.

The story here isn't that I'm now in love with Mesa. I will never buy another new Mesa amp. It's unlikely that I would buy a used Mesa amp either. New amps are supposed to work, not require two trips to service and one trip to the factory before they function.

WHIR LEE
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

I'm in the same position as you, wurly. I've had three mesa amps (the bass amp, a nomad with two 2x12 cabs, and a rect-o-verb head) and in general, I haven't been satisfied with the build quality (went through two nomad heads before figuring that out), or sound quality of the amps (though for that super sustainy feedback sound, the recto-verb was pretty damn amazing) when recorded. In a guitar store, they sound great. In a mix, I find I had to do a little EQ'ing which I generally hate to do with guitar (and didn't have a monitor set up where I could easily move the mic around and monitor the changes in sound). No rumor spreading here either, just openly admitting my dislike for these amps. Personally, if I were looking for something like a recto, I'd just go for a Rivera KH-100 (the original series). That amp stomped all over the Mesa, imho. The best "crunch" amp I've ever heard though was a Bogner modded Marshall Jubilee.

If you want something tubey for a bass amp, the only new ones I'd look at are aguilar, or the eden tube head. Those are two kick ass amps. Used, a great SVT is hard to beat and can sound great through a small combo. I have a friend in atlanta who gigs w/ an Ampeg SVT head and an Epifani cab w/ 10" speakers. His sound is absolutely unbelievable.
Old 29th April 2011
Lives for gear

I know this is an old thread, but I've had 3 boogie busters, 2 tremoverbs, and 2 rectoverbs and none of them have needed repair. Still have one boogie buster and tremoverb and they're used in my band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAngel View Post
I'm in the same position as you, wurly. I've had three mesa amps (the bass amp, a nomad with two 2x12 cabs, and a rect-o-verb head) and in general, I haven't been satisfied with the build quality (went through two nomad heads before figuring that out), or sound quality of the amps (though for that super sustainy feedback sound, the recto-verb was pretty damn amazing) when recorded. In a guitar store, they sound great. In a mix, I find I had to do a little EQ'ing which I generally hate to do with guitar (and didn't have a monitor set up where I could easily move the mic around and monitor the changes in sound). No rumor spreading here either, just openly admitting my dislike for these amps. Personally, if I were looking for something like a recto, I'd just go for a Rivera KH-100 (the original series). That amp stomped all over the Mesa, imho. The best "crunch" amp I've ever heard though was a Bogner modded Marshall Jubilee.

If you want something tubey for a bass amp, the only new ones I'd look at are aguilar, or the eden tube head. Those are two kick ass amps. Used, a great SVT is hard to beat and can sound great through a small combo. I have a friend in atlanta who gigs w/ an Ampeg SVT head and an Epifani cab w/ 10" speakers. His sound is absolutely unbelievable.
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Guru

I got a Mesa Road King a few months ago and I am probably like the 3rd owner. It's built like a tank and sounds amazing.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear