The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HILARiOUS Guitar Center Recording Department "Encounter" Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post

Tip about Guitar Center. Never go there for answers, only go there to buy gear. Hopefully only go there for gear when you need it immediately and its the closest place...
You are so right about that , they can never answer anything correct, some of them i ask questions to at least they are honest and say !!! I dunno..... thats when i really get upset and go across the road to Atlanta Pro Audio where there is nothing but High End gear and have knowledge. heh
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
You have to remember that I work with pros and most people I talk with are pros.
Being in a store that had a "pro" audio department led me to mistakenly believe that he was a pro.
You're joking, right? It was Guitar Center.

I still don't understand the question about the USB output, or why it matters. Did you really want/need to know or were you just yankin his crank?

-R
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
You are so right about that , they can never answer anything correct,
You mean "correctly"?

-R
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
This thread sure backfired 100%.heh
perhaps a reason to do away with the prefixes: "Fun" is about the least appropriate prefix for how this thread turned out.

besides, didn't the Big Crash occur just around the time that the prefixes were introduced? tutt
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

You know.... I am a member of another audio forum and the general consensus there is that there are A LOT of smart ass people on Gearslutz that don't know much, but are very mean spirited.
I guess I pretty well have to agree.

With all of the smart and assuming replies it is interesting that NO ONE offered the answer.

Can anyone here tell me what the data stream is?
It is VERY simple.
BTW... it is not an analog signal like one bone headed poster said.
They didn't choose a USB port as a "convenient" audio port.
They would have used a mini jack or another audio jack and not a jack designed and intended for data.
There isn't an audio amplifier connected to a computers internal USB port that would amplify a mic's output.

Do you guys work at Guitar Center or do you just think it is a cool place?
Sorry I offended.

F*CK! Why do I even bother to address this forum when it is inhabited by so many trolls?

Backfired my a$$...
If wasn't for the fact that you can post anonymously you wouldn't say half of these responses to my face.

If you think that you are putting ME in my place and teaching ME a lesson you have A LOT to learn!
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Am I only that that finds is really funny that he asked for a "hand held" mic, and the guy handed him a "blue snowball"? Its not really a hand held mic. Danny, I would have laughed my ass off if that happened to me.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Forums thinking the people on other related forums are smart asses? This must be some kind of new interweb phenomenon.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmiller View Post
Forums thinking the people on other related forums are smart asses? This must be some kind of new interweb phenomenon.
It is a forum that you have to be invited to join by another member of the forum.
A few GS folks that are pretty on the ball are members.

Don't worry about it though.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBassPlayer View Post
Am I only that that finds is really funny that he asked for a "hand held" mic, and the guy handed him a "blue snowball"? Its not really a hand held mic. Danny, I would have laughed my ass off if that happened to me.
Well, at that point I knew the guy was giving me his full attention.

At least he got "USB" and "mic" right.
But remember.... he told me later that "no one uses handhelds to record."

I'm still waiting for someone to answer what the data stream actually is.
A GS member from another forum gave me the specific answer.
It is AES 42-2001, but that is actually only a variant of a VERY common digital audio data format.
The very same digital audio data stream is what is traveling down most all USB, Firewire, Light Pipe, PCI, etc...

With so many people jumping on correcting my attitude with the guy at GC I'd figure that such sage advice would come from someone who possesed this knowledge, too.

BTW, the GS poster that DID know and emailed me the info didn't act like a jerk.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
You know.... I am a member of another audio forum and the general consensus there is that there are A LOT of smart ass people on Gearslutz that don't know much, but are very mean spirited.
I guess I pretty well have to agree.

With all of the smart and assuming replies it is interesting that NO ONE offered the answer.

It is VERY simple.
BTW... it is not an analog signal like one bone headed poster said.
They didn't choose a USB port as a "convenient" audio port.
They would have used a mini jack or another audio jack and not a jack designed and intended for data.
There isn't an audio amplifier connected to a computers internal USB port that would amplify a mic's output.

Do you guys work at Guitar Center or do you just think it is a cool place?
Sorry I offended.

F*CK! Why do I even bother to address this forum when it is inhabited by so many trolls?

Backfired my a$$...
If wasn't for the fact that you can post anonymously you wouldn't say half of these responses to my face.

If you think that you are putting ME in my place and teaching ME a lesson you have A LOT to learn!
Meltdown on aisle five...

Danny, get it together--you're the source of your anger and frustration. No one here is responsible for your suffering tonight.

You went into GC and vibed some kid with a minimum-wage job and came here to crow about it. But some people thought you came off an ass and told you so.

It's not the end of the world, but hopefully it's instructional for you...

Last edited by kittyboy; 28th August 2008 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: le mot juste
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, at that point I knew the guy was giving me his full attention.

At least he got "USB" and "mic" right.
But remember.... he told me later that "no one uses handhelds to record."

I'm still waiting for someone to answer what the data stream actually is.
A GS member from another forum gave me the specific answer.
It is AES 42-2001, but that is actually only a variant of a VERY common digital audio data format.
The very same digital audio data stream is what is traveling down most all USB, Firewire, Light Pipe, PCI, etc...

With so many people jumping on correcting my attitude with the guy at GC I'd figure that such sage advice would come from someone who possesed this knowledge, too.

BTW, the GS poster that DID know and emailed me the info didn't act like a jerk.
I think its Phillips' UDA 1325 USB Codec.
Old 28th August 2008
Explain how the knowledge of what the usb data stream is helps you, please. I'm just curious. hmmm. now that you mention it my Motu 24i/o attaches to the Motu Pci424 card with something that looks an awful lot like firewire yet you can't just attach the motu 24i/o to a plain old firewire card. Somehow I feel knowing the name of this firewire-esque data stream will help me to.... what? hopefully someone will tell me a reason why these types of proprietary data streams names will be beneficial.
Old 28th August 2008

This is great stuff guys... There's been some crazy threads the last couple of days.

I think the break from the forum has caused everyone to loose their minds in some slight way.

A heated discussion of USB microphone data streams... what's next?

Old 28th August 2008
Vum
Lives for gear

Other audio forums talk about us? Are they aware my avatar is MR. T??!!! ****, we must be at the cool table after all. One time I went up to Bill Gates at the Billionaire's Topless Getaway (BTG) and asked him how they got a Weezer video on the Windows 95 installation disc and he covered me in data stream.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
The response and observations of an ex-GC Vet:

My response would have been, the microphone probably has an A/D converter inside, which uses a "windows usb audio codec" to show up as an input to your system. As far as the data stream itself, I'm not sure, but why do you need to know that?" I would not be beyond looking it up for him online to see if we can find the answer. If i didn't find it, at least they would see me put in the effort and would buy something from me anyway even if it was just a cable.

I have 13 years studio experience, the first 5 were at guitar center starting in 1995. In the beginning I knew keyboards and that was the dept I was hired to. Really I only new 3 keyboards, but also adats, and mackie 1604 mixers. I was in the "keyboards" however and didn't touch the audio at the store yet. When i was new anyone who wanted to buy something I didn't know about, like a sampler, I would turn over to other salespeople.

I made reading manuals a pastime of mine and the store was nice enough to lend me them anytime I wanted. After awhile Adats were nearing the end of their lifetime and the music sequencer I was already using for a bit started to record audio. There was a period of time when the audio salespeople in the store were afraid of the computer, so they let me start selling some audio stuff to go with the new "DAW" systems. I soon became a one stop shop when other people sold only keys or audio.

My sales figures were high enough to sustain me working at 2 guitar centers during that 5 years. But unlike so much of what I hear on GS about GC employees, I actually learned what I was talking about and never even once gave a knowing lie or bullsh-t response to a question. If I didn't know something i admited it. The truth is I learned a ton about audio from my customers in the beginning to fill in the gaps in my knowledge. My sales were good because I combined my new gear knowledge with relationship building sales techniques. That is what guitar center taught me at the time. Did they help me get good? My dept mgr helped me a little about the gear but my store and sales mgr actually did help my sales ability. The last few years of it I remember customers would wait sometimes 2 hours just to buy from me because I had that much of a backup of ppl that wanted to talk to me.

The trick is simple, I just became friends with every customer I could talk to. I had patience for them, and a gift of explaining technical info. I also made them laugh and wore stupid clothes. lol In return they had loyalty and I almost never discounted anything. They knew they might get it cheaper by asking another less knowledgabe salesperson behind my back or playing me against Sam Ash... Once. They knew I made commision. My continued help was obviously worth the extra money. If someone wanted something cheaper I'd steer them into used gear instead. I was the king of used gear in my store. I also learned early on that if you can visibly save a customer money, they'll still spend the extra $ with you. In the long run saving people money by helping them buy the right gear or a component system will make you way more money at GC. I was not a pushy salesman and I never knowingly snaked a deal from a fellow employee although there were some I wouldn't have minded punching

Yes I saw alot of people come and go. Some were idots. Some I still look up to. GC is a very competitive environment. My experience in the beginning was alot like "Ok you new little goldfish, into the feeding frenzy with you!!" Most just realize "damn it's a sales job" and being able to play an instrument doesn't help you and quit. There were aggressive sales people, but also aggressive customers. Stressed out managers and laid back ones. The laid back ones don't make it. lol. It's like that for them too, they have even more corporate types to deal with than those on the floor.

I'm far from saying I'm the greatest GC salesperson that ever lived, but I made it through those times and came out ahead for it I believe. Many here on GS probably have a similar story and are afraid to defend GC against people who ask techy questions they already know the answers to. Go ahead ask me a tech question... you have no idea how much audio I know lol (couldnt help it) as do hundreds on GS and hundreds who work at over 100 GC stores. I'm not afraid of citing my guitar center history will make me look like a noob on gearlutz. I'm proud of my GC history and I want to point out something my customers always knew, It's not about where you shop, It's who you shop with.

The last 8 years I've combined the business building skills I learned at GC with my own technical and music ability to become successful in the studio business. (By successful I just mean making a living.) Without GC I'd probably still be waiting tables.

Most current and ex employees of guitar center would disagree with you. Im not trying to convince you otherwise, but for the sake of any lurkers here who may be reading this thread and thinking about seeking employment at this beast of a store, DONT. seriously. Complete waste of time, there are much more efficient ways of gaining "real world experience". Run...run as fast as you can. Do not listen to this man. He has either never had a decent job to compare to, or he is flat out lying.

There are trends around this forum that are complete bull****, the dislike of guitar center is not one of them. People despise the store for good reason.

That being said, the threadstarter obviously left his house looking for trouble and found it...came here looking for more trouble and found it..never argue with a GC employee because they are told EVERY single day, 6 days a week at the beginning of every shift to behave like dirty car salesmen and to speak with confidence on matters they do not yet understand, anything to make the sale. Dont bother with them, they are underpaid, grouchy and....underpaid. just buy your strings and leave.

guitar center is a **** store.

and im done.
Old 28th August 2008
Vum
Lives for gear

my post was funnier. here, i'll quote it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vum View Post
Other audio forums talk about us? Are they aware my avatar is MR. T??!!! ****, we must be at the cool table after all. One time I went up to Bill Gates at the Billionaire's Topless Getaway (BTG) and asked him how they got a Weezer video on the Windows 95 installation disc and he covered me in data stream.

Last edited by Vum; 28th August 2008 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: my earlier post won't be read and it's funny
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Maniac

And as proof of all the **** talking i just did, i invite all of you to read my post history. OBSERVE all of the noob questions i have asked on this forum...i know absolutly balls about pro audio compared to most here.. and i was an AM (assistant manager) at guitar center for the pro audio dept.

really. look at my threads, see the complete lack of knowledge and be amazed.
Old 28th August 2008
Vum
Lives for gear

Danny - I just read your profile and determined one of two things - the GC you went to was off of either 75 or 635. At either location there are a couple of people I can imagine you dealing with and in this "vision" I can completely understand your position (I'm like Sarah Connor). The person I'm thinking you dealt with is the same person who, when I mentioned that I didn't want to buy a $60 monster cable because I build my own cables engaged me with:

"uhh...with what?"

Let me know when you go back and I'll chaperone, but don't mention my secret forum again or you're out.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
This is great stuff guys... There's been some crazy threads the last couple of days.

I think the break from the forum has caused everyone to loose their minds in some slight way.

A heated discussion of USB microphone data streams... what's next?

A 53 year old "seasoned AE" failing to point out to a dude in GC a $49.99 podcast mic which sits on the Samson shelve by the pillar.

...sorry, 52.

M.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

I need to stop here and clarify that I knew that it was a protocol developed by Nuemann and I had even read an article about it a few years back.
I was just trying to engage him and see if he could help me understand things a bit better.
(I now know that it is called AES 42-2001 and was developed by Nuemann and first presented to the AES in 2001.)
AES 42 has nothing to do with USB, where did you read that?
USB is used in Neumann Solution-D product just as a control port for their interface, no audio travels over there.
USB microphones use standard audio over USB, the same as you would find in a USB audio interface.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

I stand corrected. I was damm sure that Audio in the form of voltage (analog) could pass through USB where it would be converted AFTERWARDS. I am aparently wrong (I think). I have an XLR > USB cable in my hand as I type this. However check this out..

"The LightSnake microphone cable is basically a "sound card on a cable" and with this cable you can record audio directly onto your computer." - Lightsnake.

The cable I have is a soundcard. It has a converter in it, So I guess the USB Port will only recieve a "data stream". Fine,..I was wrong.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Danny, would you really expect the clerk to have any idea what AES 42-2001 is? You should start a poll and see how many people here had any idea what it was. If you asked me what came out the other end of a USB mic I'd probably guess something like "the breath of a unicorn."
heh
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Talking

wait wait wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vum View Post
also heh
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is a forum that you have to be invited to join by another member of the forum.

Oohh! Oohh! Can I join! I swear I'm a cool kid. You can ask my mommy.hehfuuck
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I am never ready for banjo center whenever I go. the one in Hollywood has/had a flashing neon sign at eye level that you had to walkby andit kinda freaked me out everytime. and the one here in orlando is actually scary on the weekend. a carnival atmosphere. but I bought my beautiful les paul there...

...a Y cable is not an insert cable......
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

Backfired my a$$...

This thread has backfired, you sound like a pr!ck.
Old 28th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Greedy View Post
You get what you pay for. period. that goes for service too. Why does anyone who is or has been a recording engineering for a living go into a Guitar Center and ask any questions? period? You should know basically what you want before you go in there and go there only for the convenience and the good price, etc. period.
Feeling superior to anyone who is working there means what?
+1 thumbsup
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

I think that there's plenty of "hilarious" stuff in that encounter (although at this point I'd lean more towards "mildly amusing")...handing off a round microphone as a handheld, the statement that nobody uses a handheld microphone for recording, the "SIX YEARS" comment...but I'd agree that the issue regarding the technicalities the data stream isn't one of those. The way it was worded (the original poster felt ignored "so I decided to ask a specific question regarding USB mics") certainly makes it sound confrontational and somewhat mean-spirited in nature, and I'd agree that this isn't the type of question I'd expect anyone to know off of the top of their heads, even at a more service-oriented retailer...and I think that the answers that the guy provided would be sufficient for 99.9% of cases and can't help but wonder about the relevance of the question.

Quote:
Or maybe at Ultimate Electronics, where they probably won't have what you're looking for. They staff their sales floor with uneducated newly-weds who work off of commission, so you really end up buying blind.
That's funny...I worked at a Montgomery Ward store selling electronics part-time the summer after I got married (I guess you'd say I was an "educated newlywed") and the fact that I knew something about audio electronics actually was more of a detriment than a help, both with coworkers (my manger got upset when he heard me talking about what "watts per channel" in a surround system meant because he didn't really know what it meant, not to mention that I couldn't sell the extended warranties because I knew how bogus they were) and customers (got into a bit of an argument with a nice girl who had taken a class about audio so she knew what was up and insisted that she didn't want a stereo system with any digital to analog converters in it because she wanted it to be all digital, despite my insistence that, for you to hear it, that digital signal has to be converted to an analog signal at some point)).

[quote]We were jawboning about technology and he said something about the Roland VG system (at that time only a couple years old) and what a cool synthesizer it was. I said, Modeler, don't you mean? He said, No, I mean synthesizer. I said, Uh, dude, it doesn't synthesize sounds, it remodels the analog signal from your guitar.
Honestly, I think it's all semantics at that point...true, the VG8 system isn't a traditional synthesizer, but really, it is a synthesizer...it just synthesizes its sound based on the signal that comes from the hex pickup rather than a waveform generator or DSP source or anything. Roland's insistence on calling it a modeler rather than a synthesizer is kind of like Wal-Mart's insistence on calling their employees "associates"...yes, it is a more specific type of synthesizer, but it is a synthesizer when it comes down to it.

Having said that, since he was a Guitar Center guy I'm kind of surprised that he hadn't been indoctrinated with the Roland Modeling Gospel (although he was clearly in error regarding its use of MIDI).

Quote:
It is VERY simple.
It may be very simple...and I'll admit that I don't know that it is...but why does it even matter? I would think that all a typical music store employee would really need to know about it is that it will work with about any audio recording program other than Pro Tools...but if there's a reason that one would need to know that I'd be interested in hearing it.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'd never join a forum that would accept me as a member.

-R
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Nut

when i first got finished with audio school in dallas , i left feeling that my education there was not as much as i thought it could be.so i wanted to get a job at guitar center to be around people in the music world.i thought i might learn more.i was hired right away and i never came back after my first day of being around pushy sales people , a chic who didnt know the difference between passive and active monitor's and no audio pro's to be seen.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search