The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HILARiOUS Guitar Center Recording Department "Encounter" Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'm still not sure how to spell AKG.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Greedy View Post
You get what you pay for. period. that goes for service too. Why does anyone who is or has been a recording engineering for a living go into a Guitar Center and ask any questions? period? You should know basically what you want before you go in there and go there only for the convenience and the good price, etc. period.
Feeling superior to anyone who is working there means what?
+1

I go to GC now and again. I actually used to go quite a bit with a guy I used to hang out with.

He was a pretty miserable soul who delighted in asking obscure questions to some high school kid or some old burnout and then berating them when they didn't know the answer.

For me, I'm thankfull I don't have to work at GC or in retail.

I usually do some research online and walk in and say, "I need 'x' what's your best price?".
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Well the data stream you are refering to at first (Not AES-42-2001) would be host based in the laptop, not the mic it self. Yes Neumann has their "D" line and those microphones have converters built in to the microphone. However lots of USB microphones on the market do not have the converter and simply pass "the audio" through where it is converted on your laptop or whatever machine. In fact you could use an XLR > USB and a 57. The USB in this case is just a convenient connection to get sound to the sound card where it is then converted. Phantom can also be sent down that line. My wife had to replace a Nintendo Wii Karaoke mic > usb so I found an XLR > usb.......at Guitar Center no less.....I hid the cable. No more Saturday night fever at 6am.

So the guy actually sounds right dbbubba.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Head
I've heard that there are three points of the triangle, being quality, price, and service. But when you encounter a dealer, you can only pick two.

I'm sure you've been to hi-end stores stocking Sonus Faber and Martin Logan, etc. The products are pretty nice, and the service is knowledgeable and laid back, but buying there will cost you.

Or maybe at Ultimate Electronics, where they probably won't have what you're looking for. They staff their sales floor with uneducated newly-weds who work off of commission, so you really end up buying blind. But the price can be competitive.

Just writing this makes me think of many exceptions, but you get the gist. Decide what which points of the triangle are most important for you, and go from there.

- - - - -

I've had a couple of run-ins at Guitar Center too. Recently, they just started stocking Adam A7 studio monitors. I had been drooling over them online for just over a year, planning on purchasing them for a poor man's listening room. It was a little surprising seeing them arrive at all the consumer chains after I had been scoping them out for so long. Of course I went in to GC for a listen. There was a half-manager hovering around the room being useless, because half of my questions were confirming things I already knew to quiet my fears, and the other half were qualitative judgments that only a long-time engineer could make. He certainly couldn't answer either, although he said, Recording is my passion!

But buying them at GC would have its perks: same price as online with no shipping cost, and I even have an automated phone system to call to compain to!
Old 27th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
The real problem guys are the ones that know just enough stuff that they don't feel like complete imbeciles any longer.
They know some stuff, but because they have mastered a few things they think they know EVERYTHING.
They can have real attitude.
I deal with these types on a constant basis doing live events.

These folks always seem ready to prove their knowledge and will challenge you.

I have seen "seasoned experts" make some really stupid statements and come up with some stupid conclusions.

My favorite was when I ran a staffing agency that hired show techs.
I had one guy that DEMANDED that he have his hourly rate raised.
I knew what he was capabale of and had him doing jobs and being paid accordingly.
He kept hammering at me and telling me how qualified he was.
I eventually had to tell him that graduating from The Art Institute's Audio Program two year prior didn't make him an expert.
I think I said, "Basically, you STARTED as a "pro" two years ago."
Yeah... for a very brief period I was involved with a small group of players and one guy was a former guitar department manager (or some such) at GC. We were jawboning about technology and he said something about the Roland VG system (at that time only a couple years old) and what a cool synthesizer it was. I said, Modeler, don't you mean? He said, No, I mean synthesizer. I said, Uh, dude, it doesn't synthesize sounds, it remodels the analog signal from your guitar. He said, Well it uses MIDI pickups. I said, No, it doesn't. They're hex p/u's but they output analog audio that's then remodeled -- like an effect.

It went around and around like that and the next day I sent him a copy of the product description from Roland's website that fairly clearly described the whole process.

His reply: You're nuts. It's a synthesizer.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

I hate GC, but the original poster sounds like a ****ing ******bag with an unjustified superiority complex.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I dunno about youzeguys but I have gotten plenty of goodies below dead cost from those "fools."

Also, probably no one here knew AES 42-2001 either...
I don't think I've ever really walked out of GC with something and felt like I got a deal of a lifetime... I always find it cheaper online...

But as to the AES 42-2001 thing... I don't think asking about something that in-depth with a GC rep is such a bright idea... last week I asked the GC rep what the sensitivity was on a pair of monitors and he replied "oh these are really sensitive. you'll hear all the details. that's why they're so expensive."

I just listened in amusment.
Old 27th August 2008
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kerr View Post
Well the data stream you are refering to at first (Not AES-42-2001) would be host based in the laptop, not the mic it self. Yes Neumann has their "D" line and those microphones have converters built in to the microphone. However lots of USB microphones on the market do not have the converter and simply pass "the audio" through where it is converted on your laptop or whatever machine. In fact you could use an XLR > USB and a 57. The USB in this case is just a convenient connection to get sound to the sound card where it is then converted. Phantom can also be sent down that line. My wife had to replace a Nintendo Wii Karaoke mic > usb so I found an XLR > usb.......at Guitar Center no less.....I hid the cable. No more Saturday night fever at 6am.

So the guy actually sounds right dbbubba.
NO frickin way. Seriously? There's an A/D converter built into USB?!?!?!?!
Old 27th August 2008
Dan
Lives for gear

Why pick on the poor GC sales guys? Why would you expect them to know as much, or more than you? You've been in the business a long time, they're only starting their career. It's pointless to test the knowledge of a sales guy who is simply trying to make a living. You're not even GC's target market. You know too much, and you're too cheap.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Not having an answer to such a specialized question is perfectly reasonable. I'd have told you right off the bat I have no idea what you're talking about, and wouldn't feel the least bit bad about it.

'You have no idea how much I know about audio." ??? Oh dear...

Sounds like you had a successful episode of Stump The Chumps; enjoy.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

This thread is just silly. Expecting a GC employee to know that type of information is even more rediculous than posting this thread. Expecting that type of knowledge from a GC employee would be like expecting a McDonalds employee to know what their hamburgers are made of (not that anyone would actually want to know, but regardless...). Fact of the matter is, the McDonalds employee can still ring you up and throw the burger in a bag: done deal. Funny part is, that McDonalds employee makes a better annual salary than that GC employee. Why would he even want to talk to or help someone like you who is pointlessly wasting his time over some trivial information that has no basis on you ACTUALLY purchasing the piece or not, when you were obviously just testing him to see how much he knew so you could feel better about yourself and the amount of knowledge you have acquired over the past 35+ years? Do youself a favor, next time you want to mock someone, mock someone who is actually a "Pro" and is clueless, instead of a young kid trying to make ends meat at a dead end job. fuuck
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Still waiting for the "Hi, im a manager of guitar center here on planet bull****. Im sorry you had a bad experience at your guitar center, it REALLY is an isolated issue..employees at my store are well taken care of, and the few that arent making good money are just poor spenders. WE HAVE ONE GUY MAKING 100,000 A YEAR!!! Guitar center is a great store, we are passionate about the customers experience, and passionate about audio!!!"

its only a matter of time. hes coming...dude is probobly riding his bike to the local library to use the internet and check for anti-guitar center threads. he'll be here any minute. *insert jaws music*
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Guru

I never worked at Guitar Center, but I did put in some time at a mid-to-high-end hifi store near Boston. There was a certain kind of customer who'd get a kick out of asking a salesperson some insanely arcane technical question... and then answering his own question. I really hated those guys.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
You get what you pay for. period. that goes for service too. Why does anyone who is or has been a recording engineering for a living go into a Guitar Center and ask any questions? period? You should know basically what you want before you go in there and go there only for the convenience and the good price, etc. period.
Man... I wanted to be in LA and buy you a drink again...
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well put.

Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
NO frickin way. Seriously? There's an A/D converter built into USB?!?!?!?!
Um.....no...there is not.

Like I said it is on the sound card after any USB anything and yes I know that that is digi basics 101 but as the OP put it, he was asking what the data stream that traveled down the USB was...and like I said in my post that you quoted that there is no data that travels down a USB line when it is used with a "USB Mic" (not an internal converting Analog to digital mic like a Neumann km184D) which is AES and not USB anyway. So it is Analog through the USB and yes I understand that it should be obvious to some.
Old 27th August 2008
I think ANY mic that outputs via USB has a built in a/d converter - that's kind of the point. If not, perhaps you can point us to a sound card with analogue USB mic inputs? All the m-audio stuff for example will show up as a core audio device - ie the soundcard is built in to the mic.

The Neumann is different - it outputs aes audio, still contains a/d converters, but you still need an audio interface with a digital input to get it into a daw.

But then, lots of you knew that.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

I fail to see the "gotcha" against a salesman who isn't up to spec on AES 42-2001.

It's like calling McDonalds employees "fools" for not knowing the specific chemical makeup of the inoculations used on cattle that later became burgers. And then saying I've got a cattle ranch as backup so I don't need your advice anyway.

Maybe next time take a quick nap instead of trying to play God with common salespeople?
Old 27th August 2008
TRA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lownotes View Post
Did you mean "Neumann"?
You mean Newman right?
Old 27th August 2008
TRA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonCarlston View Post
Still waiting for the "Hi, im a manager of guitar center here on planet bull****. Im sorry you had a bad experience at your guitar center, it REALLY is an isolated issue..employees at my store are well taken care of, and the few that arent making good money are just poor spenders. WE HAVE ONE GUY MAKING 100,000 A YEAR!!! Guitar center is a great store, we are passionate about the customers experience, and passionate about audio!!!"

its only a matter of time. hes coming...dude is probobly riding his bike to the local library to use the internet and check for anti-guitar center threads. he'll be here any minute. *insert jaws music*
Leave me alone....I hate my dad!
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelista View Post
I hate GC, but the original poster sounds like a ****ing ******bag with an unjustified superiority complex.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
What you have to realize is that I am fifty two years-old and nearly fifty three.
Is one ever fifty-two and not near fifty-three?
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
I fail to see the "gotcha" against a salesman who isn't up to spec on AES 42-2001.

It's like calling McDonalds employees "fools" for not knowing the specific chemical makeup of the inoculations used on cattle that later became burgers. And then saying I've got a cattle ranch as backup so I don't need your advice anyway.

Maybe next time take a quick nap instead of trying to play God with common salespeople?
Is there an echo in here? Seriously, even the same McDonalds reference? Awesome.

Funny though, as its clear I am not alone in feeling that dealing with GC employees is the equivalent of ordering a Big Mac. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I live for these GC put down threads. I love em. Keep em coming.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Story was fun to read.
But cmon.....what did you expect?
You went in that store to get such a story didnt you?
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinthebox View Post
Is there an echo in here? Seriously, even the same McDonalds reference? Awesome.

I'd only read the first page when I posted, boyinthebox!
Maybe it's a good time to start a post on psychic phenomena, or plagiarism heh

Regardless, I think that UNLESS others aren't asking for it, it's the best policy to treat them with some degree of dignity.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I dunno about youzeguys but I have gotten plenty of goodies below dead cost from those "fools."

Also, probably no one here knew AES 42-2001 either...
Yeah I can't say that I knew that either. And I'm not sure how that is relevant to the intended application of the microphone. As a salesperson "Mr. Clerk" should have been more attentive and polite when dbbuba first asked for help. dbbuba shouldn't have tested the poor guy for sport. That's what wives and girlfriends do.

I do agree--shoping at GC is always a dissappointing and/or frustrating experience.

Brad
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I said that after he threw his hands in the air and said, "You don't have to believe me, but I have worked in a recording studio for SIX YEARS."
I said that WAYYYY after he gave me the brush off and patronizing answer.
That was my response that said, "Look F*CKER, I'm not an idiot and I didn't come here to be given stupid answers to AND be snickered at."
If I wanted to "challenge him" I would have replied, "Well, guess how many years I have been working in pro audio? Thirty three years and that is twenty seven more years than you."
Actually, I was being really nice.

I am a few years past going into places like Guitar Center to pick a an "audio" fight.
I don't go to elementary schools and taunt school kids either.
His answer should have been, "I don't really know."

....and guess what?
I now know what the data stream is.
Although I wasn't sure which it was, I actually brought it up when I was "discussing" the matter with the GC fool.
In fact, it was the FIRST data stream type that I gave as an example of what it might be.

It certianly isn't "audio" which was that idiot's answer.

From reading your rendition it did sound to me like you were pressing him. Its obvious after the first few times you asked him about the usb port that he did not know the answer. Why keep asking him? Of course he should have been man enough to say simply "I don't know". But there is a problem with that at guitar center. These are young guys who are expected to know literally thousands of pieces of gear, and asking him such a specific question concerning the data stream of the USB connection is not going to go well. That's over the heads of most engineers here I would guess. Again, it also sounded like you were simply curious about it and wanted to figure it out, but if he doesn't know he doesn't know.

Tip about Guitar Center. Never go there for answers, only go there to buy gear. Hopefully only go there for gear when you need it immediately and its the closest place...
Old 28th August 2008
The response and observations of an ex-GC Vet:

My response would have been, the microphone probably has an A/D converter inside, which uses a "windows usb audio codec" to show up as an input to your system. As far as the data stream itself, I'm not sure, but why do you need to know that?" I would not be beyond looking it up for him online to see if we can find the answer. If i didn't find it, at least they would see me put in the effort and would buy something from me anyway even if it was just a cable.

I have 13 years studio experience, the first 5 were at guitar center starting in 1995. In the beginning I knew keyboards and that was the dept I was hired to. Really I only new 3 keyboards, but also adats, and mackie 1604 mixers. I was in the "keyboards" however and didn't touch the audio at the store yet. When i was new anyone who wanted to buy something I didn't know about, like a sampler, I would turn over to other salespeople.

I made reading manuals a pastime of mine and the store was nice enough to lend me them anytime I wanted. After awhile Adats were nearing the end of their lifetime and the music sequencer I was already using for a bit started to record audio. There was a period of time when the audio salespeople in the store were afraid of the computer, so they let me start selling some audio stuff to go with the new "DAW" systems. I soon became a one stop shop when other people sold only keys or audio.

My sales figures were high enough to sustain me working at 2 guitar centers during that 5 years. But unlike so much of what I hear on GS about GC employees, I actually learned what I was talking about and never even once gave a knowing lie or bullsh-t response to a question. If I didn't know something i admited it. The truth is I learned a ton about audio from my customers in the beginning to fill in the gaps in my knowledge. My sales were good because I combined my new gear knowledge with relationship building sales techniques. That is what guitar center taught me at the time. Did they help me get good? My dept mgr helped me a little about the gear but my store and sales mgr actually did help my sales ability. The last few years of it I remember customers would wait sometimes 2 hours just to buy from me because I had that much of a backup of ppl that wanted to talk to me.

The trick is simple, I just became friends with every customer I could talk to. I had patience for them, and a gift of explaining technical info. I also made them laugh and wore stupid clothes. lol In return they had loyalty and I almost never discounted anything. They knew they might get it cheaper by asking another less knowledgabe salesperson behind my back or playing me against Sam Ash... Once. They knew I made commision. My continued help was obviously worth the extra money. If someone wanted something cheaper I'd steer them into used gear instead. I was the king of used gear in my store. I also learned early on that if you can visibly save a customer money, they'll still spend the extra $ with you. In the long run saving people money by helping them buy the right gear or a component system will make you way more money at GC. I was not a pushy salesman and I never knowingly snaked a deal from a fellow employee although there were some I wouldn't have minded punching

Yes I saw alot of people come and go. Some were idots. Some I still look up to. GC is a very competitive environment. My experience in the beginning was alot like "Ok you new little goldfish, into the feeding frenzy with you!!" Most just realize "damn it's a sales job" and being able to play an instrument doesn't help you and quit. There were aggressive sales people, but also aggressive customers. Stressed out managers and laid back ones. The laid back ones don't make it. lol. It's like that for them too, they have even more corporate types to deal with than those on the floor.

I'm far from saying I'm the greatest GC salesperson that ever lived, but I made it through those times and came out ahead for it I believe. Many here on GS probably have a similar story and are afraid to defend GC against people who ask techy questions they already know the answers to. Go ahead ask me a tech question... you have no idea how much audio I know lol (couldnt help it) as do hundreds on GS and hundreds who work at over 100 GC stores. I'm not afraid of citing my guitar center history will make me look like a noob on gearlutz. I'm proud of my GC history and I want to point out something my customers always knew, It's not about where you shop, It's who you shop with.

The last 8 years I've combined the business building skills I learned at GC with my own technical and music ability to become successful in the studio business. (By successful I just mean making a living.) Without GC I'd probably still be waiting tables.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

This thread sure backfired 100%.heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search