The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
YAhoooooooooo!! BACK ON LINE!!! Desktop Synthesizers
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post

Glad we are back. Thanks Jules. What were you monkeying around with?

it was the prefixes!
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Hmmm.... I think it might actually be "Foriatum"
This is only because I've recently been studying Latin again. This is just me working out the details for fun, not ragging on you. Yes, this is the kind of fun I have. Just ignore me if you see fit.

Usually only masc/fem nouns ending with -us get the second-declension plural ending -ii, like radius/radii. Forum is a neuter -um noun and would get the -um/-a endings for singular/plural.

I think -atum would be a verb ending for supine forms - i.e. passives etc.

The Modern English plural of forum is still forums/fora, parallel to stadiums/stadia, memorandums/memoranda. The predominance of the -s form leads it to be generally accepted and preferred in Modern English.

Though, in Modern English, we've kept fora as a plural that specifically refers to a singular marketplace in accounts of Roman history, perhaps because a fora was comprised of many people/vendors. You'd say to your wife, "Honey, I'm off to the fora to pick up some groceries." My wife would say to me, "get off those damned gear forums and go to the fora and pick up some groceries."
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I lost quite a few PMs as well.

Any chance these will get restored?
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
This is only because I've recently been studying Latin again. This is just me working out the details for fun, not ragging on you.
Feel free to rag away... I was just being silly with the plural forms anyway. I figured people would notice that's what I was doing. Didn't mean to start a lingustic thread! lol
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Damn shame too, as some of my most brilliant posts to date appeared to have been amongst the lost ones... you know: the "lost chord" tabulature, the formulae for the perfect 10hz-22khz frequency spectrum for a guaranteed mega-platinum hit regardless of the genre, the one with the 192k wav file containing the ultimate snare strike, and also the one with the method of getting to -2.5db PRMS on a modern rock mixdown using no 2-buss compression whatsoever.... tsk, tsk, it's a shame, indeed. ROFL!
quite tragic.

also lost in the Great Crash of '08 were:

•The long-promised results of the various double blind listening tests from the Magic Cables, the Mysterious Hard Drives, and the Identical Files that Sound Different. All those guys who were going to do the tests and get back to us "soon", did indeed get back, last week, but now their posts are lost forever.

•Proof positive that Ear Candling works.

•A confession of deliberate sabotage by Ashlee Simpson's TV engineer

•Information about new mic that sounds exactly like a KM 84 but only costs $200

•15 hilarious new "Stupidest Thing" entries.

•Mp3s of the famous "Floor Wiping Mixes"

•a simple method that will not only increase your studio's bookings, but also give you flat abs in 15 minutes a day.
Old 28th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrick19 View Post
I lost quite a few PMs as well.

Any chance these will get restored?
Not this time.. Sorry

But tweaks are being made to protect against data loss in future.

Thanks.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
It really, really doesn't have to be this bad.

Surely you can afford the services of someone who knows how to set up and admin a simple off-the-shelf BBS like this.

I'm certain you could find someone who will barter for studio time.

There is no reason this site should suffer these severe outages this often, coupled with data loss...second time in a few months there has been data loss. This is a trivial site, with proven, low-tech software, not terribly much traffic, and five nines of availability should be cakewalk for any experienced sysadmin.
I second that ... The fact is that this forum is down now and then and sometimes with lot of data loss maybe indicates that some new level of administration would be quite useful. As Peeder said - the technical base of this web is not that much complicated.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
I second that ... The fact is that this forum is down now and then and sometimes with lot of data loss maybe indicates that some new level of administration would be quite useful. As Peeder said - the technical base of this web is not that much complicated.
While I agree that the technical aspects of having a fault tolerant, redundant system are not complicated, the $$$ aspect of it can be quite mind boggling.

As a sysadmin for a rather large institution, I actually set up and administer beasts like ERP infrastructures, corporate email and the like and most of the moolah spent around here is on disater recovery, redundant systems and all sorts of little things that make data loss almost impossible.

You should see our annual budget.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guid0 View Post
While I agree that the technical aspects of having a fault tolerant, redundant system are not complicated, the $$$ aspect of it can be quite mind boggling.
Nah, not for just running vBulletin on PHP/MySQL. You can get a basic shared redundant setup for a couple/few hundred bucks per year. A dedicated setup would be more expensive - around $200-$300/month. We set up failover hosting for clients with critical applications all the time.

But it all depends on the cause of the downtime. The web server was serving, cause y'all were playing Space Invaders. Might have been a db or a hardware failure, or update rollout that went awry. Redundancy systems can help with the former issue, staging reduces the risk of the latter.

Thing is, vBulletin is inexpensive, off-the shelf software that isn't built for critical applications. MySQL also isn't an enterprise solution, though it's getting better. It's a pain in the ass to manage version lifecycle and production upgrades with these apps, especially when heavily modded like GS is.

Anyways, Jules, I'm sure you worked very hard to get it back up and running. Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

What's with the uploads?

The note about bringing back pics and mp3s is gone, but the files aren't back yet.. Do we have to consider them lost?
Old 2nd September 2008
No not lost. the last server power outage shook us up good. They will be back but it may take a week more to sort out. I cant go into more detail, please bear with us and be patient.

Thanks in advance
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Sure... I was just wondering, because the note about stuff coming back soon also disappeared...

Daniel
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Talking When Will Attachments Be Back?

Any hope of having attached mp3s back soon?
Old 4th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Any hope of having attached mp3s back soon?
Within a week thumbsup

Thanks for being patient
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Within a week thumbsup
Thank you -- great!
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Nut

GS server problem?

Hey, I'm posting this on behalf of my friend, who can't access GS since the last maintenance downtime. Here's the error message his browser gives to him:

"Network Timeout
The server at www.gearslutz.com is taking too long to respond."

GS is the only site that's affected - other sites open up just fine. He has tried to access with three different browsers and two different computers. Firewall has been turned off.

I told him it's probably a problem with his ISP, but I thought I might as well ask here if there are any problems left since the downtime, or if anyone has any other ideas he might try. Thanks.
Old 5th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by weemies View Post
Hey, I'm posting this on behalf of my friend, who can't access GS since the last maintenance downtime. Here's the error message his browser gives to him:

"Network Timeout
The server at www.gearslutz.com is taking too long to respond."

GS is the only site that's affected - other sites open up just fine. He has tried to access with three different browsers and two different computers. Firewall has been turned off.

I told him it's probably a problem with his ISP, but I thought I might as well ask here if there are any problems left since the downtime, or if anyone has any other ideas he might try. Thanks.

We are fiddling with a few things after a serious crash we had a week ago.. get him to clear his browser cache.. and reboot the computer.. Also try unpluging and re plugging his modem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search