The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
YAhoooooooooo!! BACK ON LINE!!! Desktop Synthesizers
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have a day job that requires little thinking and access to parts of the net, thank god that GS is part of that....
So yea, when GS was down I had to visit other forums. These are other forums are usually geared towards hobbyists and whatnot, so it's really not as entertaining or useful.

Oh yea, also when I'm waiting for those damn UAD plugs to render!
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Wow, that sucks. Most other forums I've been a part of never lost posts, much less a week of them. Oh well.

BTW my second love is physics...lets not get that started!
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Nut

definitely spend way too much time on here...even when I'm in the studio
Old 26th August 2008
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Guru

Jules - did we loose some threads???

Can't seem to find the new PCM96 thread in the where they linked the new update. I know it was there before the site went down........
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Still slow here and there is definitely posted missing
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

My above post took over 2 mins to up-load!
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Guru

Jules,
Just for you I put my Gearslutz shirt, drank coffee from the Gearslutz coffee cup and said a little prayer for you!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see things back..

Glenn
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Addict

Welcome back.

What the hell are you guys trying to do, make me get some work done?!
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

web site is down

If you wanna know what happened, watch this (not sure if the embedded feature will work yet):

YouTube - The Website Is Down: Sales Guy vs. Web Dude

Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

There's other things to do than gearslutz.

You either get sucked in by the 'classic game screen of death' or you stick your head out the window and get some fresh air in them bottom capillaries.
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

I felt like a crack head and my dealer was on holidays. Thank god it's back online.
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Jules,

I hate to sound cranky but please, if you're going to put an estimate on when the site will be back up, use a specific time, i.e. 2 PM GMT and not '8 hours' or whatever. No one's going to be mad if you don't make that time, but it just makes good sense, no?

Hope things will run smoothly now. We do appreciate the work put into this place!
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uosdwis View Post
Jules,

I hate to sound cranky but please, if you're going to put an estimate on when the site will be back up, use a specific time, i.e. 2 PM GMT and not '8 hours' or whatever. No one's going to be mad if you don't make that time, but it just makes good sense, no?

Hope things will run smoothly now. We do appreciate the work put into this place!
Well if the sysadmin was that clever, wouldn't they use a proper staging server with instant rollout instead of trying to do what they are doing?

In general, situations like this come about because someone is too proud to ask for help.
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashd View Post
I dont think the downtime was caused by the sysadmin doing something wrong, I mean if it was them rolling out a change/update that went wrong, now its fixed there'd be a change/update to the site?
I think its more likely an unexpected power failure or something similar hit the server.
I used to run some servers, and a power failure at the wrong time on a site this size could do some serious database damage.
In the 90's.

Make that mid-90's.

Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashd View Post
Or when you're running mysql (which this site must be, to be running vB).
I just don't think we should jump to the conclusions as we havn't been told what happened.
As I said, this is the very essence of the problem. The admins could get help from the community (or from the BBS community) but they aren't...most likely due to pride reasons.

I think calling that out and making it plain is the best way to get them to realize that it's more embarrassing not asking for help than asking for it.

(And MySQL is a very highly available and recoverable implementation these days...)
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

As soon as I saw that it was back up, it went back down again. All I can think is "more on again, off again than my ex-girlfriend."

Oh well. Still the best board and best admin.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
I had one of those heart-attack moments when instead of the blank white page coming up, the blue page started to load...

WITH SPACE INVADERS!

It was like, extreme cruelty.
Ha... Same here. That was mean...
Old 27th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
And just when I was finally breaking the habit...
And your testimony to the Guitar Center Truth & Reconciliation Commission... gone!

This brings it into the realm of a serious international injustice... I hope Gearslutz is not invaded by the U.N.!
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
It really, really doesn't have to be this bad.

Surely you can afford the services of someone who knows how to set up and admin a simple off-the-shelf BBS like this.

There is no reason this site should suffer these severe outages this often, coupled with data loss...second time in a few months there has been data loss. This is a trivial site, with proven, low-tech software, not terribly much traffic
I agree with this soul hearted, BUT im glad you said it instead of me, gearslutz has paved many roads for me and im just thankful that its here period....hell yes i had a ruff weekend , no gearslutz ? what a bitch but i somehow made it, i hate video games so i only played space invaders twice. The site drove me crazy up and down was my biggest gripe, its still slow at times. I think GS should have a bull **** backup site so GSs can chat, sell, buy, grip, bitch etc when/while the main one is down, even if its just a couple pages.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Talking

That GS splash screen was like a Chinese water torture.

We'll be up in 2 hours

6 hours later: We'll be up in 2 hours

10 hours later: We'll be up Monday

Glad to be back though
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Holy Crap! a lot of Posts lost???

Now that the Forii are back up, I did a search on some threads that I had posted on, in order to see if I missed any posts I felt I owed a response to, or whatnot - and i noticed that I had maybe at least a half-dozen or so of my own posts missing from said threads, as well as some responses I had seen prior to the recent downage.

I imagine that since i'm not a heavy poster, and **I** noticed that a good chunk were missing, that we must have lost quite a few posts recently.

Jules, not bitching, just pointing it out in case you may have not known already.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Now that the Forii are back up...
Forii? You mean the plural of forum, usually forums and sometimes fora?

Where did you see forii? I've never seen that before.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post

Seemed a bit weird to me, too.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

ahhh elambo... Too funny with that quote
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
ahhh elambo... Too funny with that quote
Always happy to help
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post

Hmmm.... I think it might actually be "Foriatum", but nonetheless, there appears to have been a rather large amount of posts missing, and that is all I wished to inform the group(s), and Jules, of - in case they hadn't noticed this already.

Damn shame too, as some of my most brilliant posts to date appeared to have been amongst the lost ones... you know: the "lost chord" tabulature, the formulae for the perfect 10hz-22khz frequency spectrum for a guaranteed mega-platinum hit regardless of the genre, the one with the 192k wav file containing the ultimate snare strike, and also the one with the method of getting to -2.5db PRMS on a modern rock mixdown using no 2-buss compression whatsoever.... tsk, tsk, it's a shame, indeed. ROFL!

Really, was just wanting to heads-up anyone who cared to know that we have, in fact, lost a lot of posts since the last maintenance cycle.

Old 27th August 2008
Gear Nut

Forii, as in Lexii for more than one Lexus. Gotta love Alan Partridge.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
If you wanna know what happened, watch this (not sure if the embedded feature will work yet):

YouTube - The Website Is Down: Sales Guy vs. Web Dude

A bit long but well funny lol!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search