The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
It had to be said... re: the state of hip hop Audio Interfaces
Old 10th August 2008
  #31
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio View Post
That is fine, but I promise it is an act to some degree and he sure as hell doesnt use ebonics when he sends out press releases or contracts.

Every one of the people you mentioned are where they are because of hard work, great business sense, understanding of the industry and the ability to present themselves in a manner that made people take them seriously.
No, his LAWYER drafts his contracts and his PUBLICIST writes his press releases.
If you speak to him personally, he keeps it real, and that's why the suits respect him.
If it's an act, then it sure is a successful one, and according to you, artists should emulate those who have achieved the success they seek!

The people I mentioned are successful because they went to work instead of studying "success principles".
Old 10th August 2008
  #32
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvwainscott View Post
Eric is a big boy and can easily handle the likes of you but I'll throw myself into the ring just the same.

First, we do quite a bit of hip hop. With a name like Full Clip Audio you can rest your sweet little head on your pillow tonight knowing that someone will get out of prision Monday morning and be on the phone with us by Monday afternoon ready to do their album - sigh.

Anyway, a lot of it comes our way. Since we see so much of it, we've had an opportunity to guage what works and what doesn't.

Reading off of a sheet of paper doesn't work - it sounds like someone reading.

Bringing me a third generation mp3 and calling it a beat is just plain wrong. These artists expect to make tons of money but they do not want to spend any of it on their music.

Bringing a crowd to the studio never makes the situation better. Maybe it did for the Beatles when they recorded Yellow Submarine but it doesn't work here.

Calling yourself "CEO" and "Executive Producer" when you don't know what those words actually mean warrants a correction. I, for one, was fortunate to sit in on a meeting with Russel Simmons, MTV, EMI and some other powerful media moguls and you better believe that EVERYTHING was in Queen's English. This was a three day event and I didn't hear any street slang - not once.

I think you are attacking Eric out of ignorance or spite - maybe his description fits you?
yea, fits me to a T in both regards...

Since you've seen enough to gauge what "works", what have you worked on that "worked"? What product did you give the thumbs up to that I can go down to Best Buy and pick up a copy and read your name?

tutt
Old 10th August 2008
  #33
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Have fun with it guys, and try not to shoot anyone!

i have a Metal band to mix!

Old 10th August 2008
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools View Post

i have a Metal band to mix!

Now THAT is WAY more fun than any hip hop session IMHO.
Old 10th August 2008
  #35
Lives for gear
 
superjc's Avatar
 

Oh Tupac had SAAVY business people behind him... he generated a good $30 million dollars for Death Row and he died with $150K in his bank account.

Do you mind if I copy and fwd your original Myspace post? Lots of knuckleheads out there need it in their inbox!
Old 10th August 2008
  #36
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjc View Post
Oh Tupac had SAAVY business people behind him... he generated a good $30 million dollars for Death Row and he died with $150K in his bank account.
Thank god that piece of sh!t two pack is dead!His autopsy pics made my day!FTDN!
Old 10th August 2008
  #37
Lives for gear
 
malice's Avatar
 

Does any thread over any HipHop subject has to fall into a dick contest ?

Pretty pathetic if you ask me


malice
Old 10th August 2008
  #38
Lives for gear
 
jupiter8's Avatar
 

I think it's funny this notion that you need to be better than someone else to give him advice. Tiger Woods has trainer don't he ? Do you think he's better at playing golf than mr Woods ? Still he takes his advice.

Imagine him going all "Who the hell are you thinking you can learn me anything about golf ? I'm the best player in the world."
Old 10th August 2008
  #39
Yeah I really didnt want this to turn into a pissing contest or "well what have you done?" kind of thing. I apologize for getting pissed off as well. Thanks to everyone who has kept it reasonable and constructive.
Old 10th August 2008
  #40
Lives for gear
 
badboymusic's Avatar
 

Paultools,

In what capacity did you work with Tupac? specifics please. Anyone can claim any BS on the web that they want. You called out Full Clip, what is your name and credits? Please don't double talk and side step, just give it up straight. We need MORE hard work and EARNED respect, you seem to think we don't.

Bad Boy Music
Old 10th August 2008
  #41
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboymusic View Post
Paultools,

In what capacity did you work with Tupac? specifics please. Anyone can claim any BS on the web that they want. You called out Full Clip, what is your name and credits? Please don't double talk and side step, just give it up straight. We need MORE hard work and EARNED respect, you seem to think we don't.

Bad Boy Music
Read the credits on MATW among others.
Old 10th August 2008
  #42
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter8 View Post
I think it's funny this notion that you need to be better than someone else to give him advice. Tiger Woods has trainer don't he ? Do you think he's better at playing golf than mr Woods ? Still he takes his advice.

Imagine him going all "Who the hell are you thinking you can learn me anything about golf ? I'm the best player in the world."
Excellent point about Tiger Woods! I have used that analogy myself many times.

If you know anything at all about golf, you know that there are a million ways to swing the club. On your scorecard, you write down "how many", and not "how". Nonetheless, golf shots don't lie. If your ball winds up in the right rough, it means that your clubface struck the ball in an open position. No argument there, which is one of the reason I enjoy the game so much.

A good coach with a trained eye can watch your unique motion, and show you where you might be making fundamental errors that lead to errant shots. If I were to hire a coach, I would certainly take into account the coach's credentials. I'd want to know how many players have improved following his methods. I'd want to know if the coach had ever won any tournaments, or at least contended in some.

The OP is so full of inconsistencies, double talk, broad generalizations and flat out lies that i couldn't sit back and not comment on it. I've been there.

Many of you don't like the way rappers roll. Exercise your freedom of choice.
We'll be fine.

Old 10th August 2008
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools View Post
Read the credits on MATW among others.
That's great but we dont know your name.
Old 10th August 2008
  #44
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio View Post
Yeah I really didnt want this to turn into a pissing contest or "well what have you done?" kind of thing. I apologize for getting pissed off as well. Thanks to everyone who has kept it reasonable and constructive.
The question here is, "to whom are we listening?".
It was never meant to be a pissing contest.
If I follow your advice, I'll wind up where you are. If you want to lecture people about how to behave in your studio so that they can become successful, then I'd want evidence that you know what you are talking about.

Let's take it off the personal tip.
Who would you point to in the industry who epitomizes the success formula you wrote about?
Old 10th August 2008
  #45
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio View Post
That's great but we dont know your name.
Kick in that extra IQ digit and you'll figure it out.
Old 10th August 2008
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools View Post
Kick in that extra IQ digit and you'll figure it out.
No asshole. I want to hear it directly from you. I want to hear "my name is...". What are you scared of? Why leave everything ambiguous and hide behind the keyboard under an alias? I personally think you are 100% full of ****.
Old 10th August 2008
  #47
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Think what you want, and then type it down here to further expose yourself.
Get some anger management counseling while you are at it.

back to my Metal band...

Old 11th August 2008
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools View Post
Think what you want, and then type it down here to further expose yourself.
Get some anger management counseling while you are at it.

back to my Metal band...

Actually, you are the one that keeps coming into the thread and being a complete prick without being willing to expose yourself. I would say the "tool" part of your name is quite accurate. I have tried to turn the conversation back into something civil but you just cant help yourself. Notice that YOU and you alone are the only one who has had a ****ty, negative attitude towards what I wrote. I'm not sure what your problem is but if you are were just looking for an argument you would have been better off choosing something worth arguing against. You have made yourself look like a complete asshole in this thread and for no good reason whatsoever. At this point I dont care what you have done. You have shown yourself to have your head planted firmly in your ass. I am VERY glad to be where I am and not where you are.

Lets just close the thread (mods if you would). Thanks for ruining it.
Old 11th August 2008
  #49
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio View Post
Actually, you are the one that keeps coming into the thread and being a complete prick without being willing to expose yourself. I would say the "tool" part of your name is quite accurate. I have tried to turn the conversation back into something civil but you just cant help yourself. You have made yourself look like a complete asshole in this thread. At this point I dont care what you have done. You have shown yourself to have your head planted firmly in your ass.

Lets just close the thread. Thanks for ruining it.
another great example of your civility heh

You can attack me all you want personally... I just don't care...

BUT

That BS you posted in your OP plus $1.25 might get you bus fare, but not a sniff at a record deal.
Old 11th August 2008
  #50
Hey PaulTools,

Full Clip Audio has a link to his website / samples / gear / etc.

Where's your's? I'm sure others are curious about your background, experience, preferences, connections, favorite gear, etc. Not that I'm saying a website makes you legit or not-legit, but it's hard to send props your way when we don't know anything about what you do.

Peace.
Old 11th August 2008
  #51
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio View Post
Actually, you are the one that keeps coming into the thread and being a complete prick without being willing to expose yourself. I would say the "tool" part of your name is quite accurate. I have tried to turn the conversation back into something civil but you just cant help yourself. Notice that YOU and you alone are the only one who has had a ****ty, negative attitude towards what I wrote. I'm not sure what your problem is but if you are were just looking for an argument you would have been better off choosing something worth arguing against. You have made yourself look like a complete asshole in this thread and for no good reason whatsoever. At this point I dont care what you have done. You have shown yourself to have your head planted firmly in your ass. I am VERY glad to be where I am and not where you are.

Lets just close the thread (mods if you would). Thanks for ruining it.
Once again, you have tried to edit your post to "clean it up" a bit.
That's why I keep quoting you...and if anyone is really interested in who is "full of it", there is more for all to see. notice the differences between the posts and quotes....

As far as a negative attitude is concerned, I think your whole initial post was pretty negative, and that's what I have been reacting to.
Old 11th August 2008
  #52
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
Hey PaulTools,

Full Clip Audio has a link to his website / samples / gear / etc.

Where's your's? I'm sure others are curious about your background, experience, preferences, connections, favorite gear, etc. Not that I'm saying a website makes you legit or not-legit, but it's hard to send props your way when we don't know anything about what you do.

Peace.
Norse, maybe I'm not seeking props!

If you are curious about me, read my profile.
I have more than 20 years of professional major-label experience under my belt in an array of genres. In that time, I have never seen anyone succeed based upon what the OP wrote in his manifesto.

The pitiful state of Hip Hop (original topic) is not a result of the wanna-bes. It has much more to do with the gatekeepers and the taste of the consumer.
If people didn't buy Soulja Boy, believe me... the labels wouldn't press it.
Old 11th August 2008
  #53
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Before:

Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio View Post
Actually, you are the one that keeps coming into the thread and being a complete prick without being willing to expose yourself. I would say the "tool" part of your name is quite accurate. I have tried to turn the conversation back into something civil but you just cant help yourself. You have made yourself look like a complete asshole in this thread. At this point I dont care what you have done. You have shown yourself to have your head planted firmly in your ass.

Lets just close the thread. Thanks for ruining it.


After:

Actually, you are the one that keeps coming into the thread and being a complete prick without being willing to expose yourself. I would say the "tool" part of your name is quite accurate. I have tried to turn the conversation back into something civil but you just cant help yourself. Notice that YOU and you alone are the only one who has had a ****ty, negative attitude towards what I wrote. I'm not sure what your problem is but if you are were just looking for an argument you would have been better off choosing something worth arguing against. You have made yourself look like a complete asshole in this thread and for no good reason whatsoever. At this point I dont care what you have done. You have shown yourself to have your head planted firmly in your ass. I am VERY glad to be where I am and not where you are.

Lets just close the thread (mods if you would). Thanks for ruining it.


Why all the edits?
Old 11th August 2008
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools View Post
Once again, you have tried to edit your post to "clean it up" a bit.
That's why I keep quoting you...and if anyone is really interested in who is "full of it", there is more for all to see. notice the differences between the posts and quotes....

As far as a negative attitude is concerned, I think your whole initial post was pretty negative, and that's what I have been reacting to.
Actually I havent "cleaned up" anything. I added a few thoughts and expounded on my original post. Apparently that is an issue for you. Take it up with the admins and see if they will remove the "edit" button for you.

Just to clarify, you are saying that you have never seen anyone succeed in 20 years by hard work, gaining knowledge, knowing how to communicate, how the industry works and how to present themselves. Sorry but you are 100% full of **** and just talking to hear yourself talk. You say that you have worked with all these people and that is even more evidence that you are full of ****. Every one of them has succeeded because they chose to do more than play pretend. Yet, for one reason or another you don't like me saying it. Tough ****. Its the truth and arguing otherwise just makes you look illogical, silly and unreasonable no matter how many top ten records you have or haven't been involved in.
Old 11th August 2008
  #55
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio View Post
This is a bulletin I just sent out on Myspace but I thought it would also be appropriate here.



SUBJECT: So you want to be a Hip hop artist, producer, label owner...



BODY: Let me start by saying that although I love hip hop, the current image, scene, industry and trend is pathetic. I get literally dozens or messages a week on here from unknown people claiming to be record labels, artists, studios, promoters and managers. They are all the same... "Buy my beats for $10", "big money bitches and guns records" and pictures of bedrooms labeled as "studios".

That is an issue because.....?

The problem is that everyone is so caught up in this image and the lifestyle that few people are putting in the real work to make music! It is a joke. I give this advice truly because I want to see more people get on track to becoming the things they so desperately seem to want to emulate. So here goes.....

and you are...?



ARTISTS / RAPPERS:
- Your only job is to make sure your lyrics and delivery are on point. You are not required to play an instrument or even know a thing about music. There is no excuse for not being prepared.

I'll keep that in mind.

- Don't come into the studio with a beat you got on some online site and write your lyrics in the studio. Come prepared. This means ad libs and all your parts TIGHT and practiced.

Most rappers I have worked with wrote in the studio, including Tupac and the Pharcyde.


- Memorize your lyrics! We can hear in 10 seconds if you are reading off of a piece of paper.

Not if they are good at it.

- Bring the BPM of the tracks you want to use! You are making unnecessary work for the engineer if you don't know this information.

Wait.... you said in your 1st point that artists didn't need to know that stuff!
I can figure out the tempo to the fraction of the beat in about 30 seconds.
If I couldn't, I would get no major label work. Step your game up.



- Do NOT bring in 8 extra people and your kids to a session! It is NOT ok and you are wasting everyones time. It may seem cool to have your friends seeing you in the studio and taking pictures for your eventual "behind the music" episode but I promise that if you dont get serious and do some work, there will never be one.

Pac rolled pretty deep. Even his producers did.
Others had fewer people around, but the majority wanted people there to increase the buzz and hype


- IF YOU ARE GOING TO PLASTER PICTURES ALL OVER YOUR MYSPACE OF YOU WITH PILES OF $ AND WRITE ABOUT HOW RICH YOU ARE, DONT ARGUE WITH THE STUDIO OR ENGINEER ABOUT A FEW DOLLARS AND HIS HOURLY RATE!!!


ahhhh... now we are getting at the crux of the matter. People don't wanna pay you what you think you are worth!





"LABELS":
- If you have not secured distribution then you are NOT a label. You are just some guy in his bedroom. Anyone can go form a "label" during their lunch break. It means nothing to simply call yourself that. I can call myself the dictator of an imaginary country but it doesnt do anything but make me look like I am playing pretend.

Tell that to Rick Rubin and Russel Simmons (assuming you know their story).

- If you are not incorporated with a specific structure then you are NOT a CEO. As much as you might think this looks cool to write, it doesnt. It looks dumb. The term "CEO" has very real and very specific attributes and implications in a corporate structure. Simply writing it makes you look like you have no idea what you are doing and are just another wannabe in your bedroom.

Not sure why you care... are these people paying for studio time?

- if you are serious about it, read a book. Find out what a label really does and how it functions. Go find distribution and backing. I encourage small labels and grass roots artists but take it seriously.

How it is done is not found in any book or workshop. If you wanna learn how to run a label, start one and find some hot records, just like all the current moguls did.





"STUDIOS":
- A computer, a mic and speakers in a bedroom does NOT make a studio. It makes a bedroom with a computer, mic and speakers in it. There is nothing wrong with a modest setup and working from home but there IS something wrong with marketing yourself as "professional quality" and charging $10 an hour.


- Whether you realize it or not, flooding the market with these pretend studios that claim to be "professional quality" simply tells artists and the public that a studio is only worth $10 an hour. After all, your place is "professional" so why should they pay any more?


People that know the difference know the difference. If these $10/hour joints are your competition, then step ya game up.

- This sort of thing also makes studio owners and engineers look bad. I am almost embarrassed to tell people what I do sometimes because I know they will just assume I mean that I am just another guy in his bedroom when in reality it is something I have invested many years and hundreds of thousands of dollars into.

Sounds like you need to study marketing. i'm proud of what I do and what I've done.




BEATMAKERS:
- Again, I get messages and spam from people every day selling beats for a $10 to $25. STOP IT! If you think thats all your beats are worth, why would anyone else ever take you seriously and think they are worth more? It is a race to the bottom of the barrel.

Beats come a dime a dozen. This industry is built upon hit records.


- Aside from no one taking you seriously, you are again saying that beats are only worth that much. In reality, artists are getting tens of thousands of dollars for beats PLUS 50% of the publishing.

How exactly does that happen? have you ever done it?

- No one is going to discover you and give you a big record deal from myspace. If you are good and take your craft seriously, get hooked up with an agent who specifically represents beatmakers and pushes your beats to real artists.

Right. They are listed in the yellow pages. Where does the money come from to pay these agents? How much do they charge? who do you know that got a placement from one of these agents?





Ok, lets talk about presentation and selling yourself......

In 90% of the messages I get, it is someone writing in ebonics. Not only that, it is usually ALL CAPITALS with NO PUNCTUATION! You might think that gives you street cred but it doesnt. It means anyone who is in a position to help you is going to lump you in with the rest of the throw away wannabe artists who think they are the next Tupac because they can spit over a beat and have a myspace page and delete your message.

BLATANT STEREOTYPICAL RACISM
anyone who is in a position to profit from you will take you seriously if you write with crayons if your **** is hot. No one is going to "help you" because you don't end your sentences with prepositions.


It is a sad fact that ignorance seems to be a commodity in hip hop. In fact, the dumber and more ignorant you come off, the more you sell these days. HOWEVER, IT IS AN ACT! I promise you that these same people speak perfectly intelligible English when conducting business, networking or negotiating.

Ignorance is not limited to Hip Hop, but if what you say is true, then why should I drop my street slang if that is the key to sales? You are contradicting yourself!


HIP HOP IS A BUSINESS! If you want to go anywhere you need to start treating it as one and play for real. Pretending to be a CEO, talking in slang and acting the part will get you nowhere. If you want to actually succeed you had better step out of fantasy land and into the real world because I assure you that the A&Rs, REAL CEOs and execs are playing for real. It is business!!! Take very measured and methodical steps towards your goals. Read, study and learn all you can about the business.

Have you ever taken a meeting with an A&R rep at a major label? Doesn't sound like it.
The measured, methodical steps they are interested in is spins, scans, and kickbacks ERRRRRR "incentives". All that by-the-book stuff is YOUR fantasy!


As harsh as this all might seem, I say it because the state of things saddens me. I truly hope that at least a few people take this to heart and are encouraged to really take their music seriously. I look forward to helping and working with any artist who is serious and dedicated! Feel free to send me a message and I will be happy to try and help in any way I can in terms of studio time or even just basic advice from someone who spends every day in this crazy business.

None of what you wrote will change the state of Hip Hop. It has more to do with the programming of people to accept what the labels want them to consume.
If people would stop listening to garbage on the radio and stop buying it, then the game might shift an inch. Media companies market to the lowest common denominator. In music, this comes down to SEX and people wanting to be ballers. Good luck competing with teenager's hormones.



Eric
Full Clip Audio


I feel better now.
Just keeping it real.
Sorry that I offended you.
Good night now.
Old 11th August 2008
  #56
I'm not going to take the time to respond to every single comment again because I think I have explained it pretty clearly (although it wouldnt be hard to rip into each and every one of your comments or arguments, common sense and reading my original posts will do it just fine) whether you want to pretend you dont get it or disagree. I will say that many of your assumptions are dead wrong and your attempts to twist my post into something that would in some way back up your insane arguments are tiresome. Some of what you wrote is just utter nonsense and you know it. Now lets either close the thread or move on.
Old 11th August 2008
  #57
Lives for gear
 
badboymusic's Avatar
 

Props to you PA, I thought you were another kid frontin'
Old 11th August 2008
  #58
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio View Post
I'm not going to take the time to respond to every single comment again because I think I have explained it pretty clearly (although it wouldnt be hard to rip into each and every one of your comments or arguments, common sense and reading my original posts will do it just fine) whether you want to pretend you dont get it or disagree. I will say that many of your assumptions are dead wrong and your attempts to twist my post into something that would in some way back up your insane arguments are tiresome. Some of what you wrote is just utter nonsense and you know it. Now lets either close the thread or move on.
Good day.

Thing is, I'm not making assumptions. I'm talking about things I have seen and done, not theories.

What your original post reveals is your frustration of working with clients who are newbies and wannabes. Have you thought about why you are not able to attract higher-caliber clients? Maybe YOU need to do some research and polish up your skills.

Do a search... the topic of using Beat Detective to find the BPM of a song has been discussed here many times.

Try that and an attitude adjustment. Stop cursing so much.

The industry does a fine job of filtering out the wannabes. That goes for artists, producers, "C.E.O.'s", engineers, and studios.

BTW, I see just as many ignorant kids in Metal-Core/Power Punk/Post Wave bands as I do in Hip Hop. Any given night, I can go to a club and hear 10 "bands" that can't play their instruments or even tune them... or I can just go to the Warped Tour.

Also, your punctuation sucks. Step your game up and take an online English class, or else the people who are in a position to help you won't take you seriously...
heh

Old 11th August 2008
  #59
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools View Post
Good day.

Thing is, I'm not making assumptions. I'm talking about things I have seen and done, not theories.
You are making assumptions about me and many of them are wrong. You are also arguing as if we still lived in the time when Russel Simmons and Rick Rubin started their empires. The industry is VERY different now and with the over saturation of the industry someone can do exactly what either of them did and not go anywhere. You may have had a relatively successful career but it sounds to me like you are living in the past. They were successful in part because they had a vision and created something. It was something new that was needed! Now, a "record label" pops up every few minutes (maybe faster) and there is no real need or niche to fill. Please think about these sorts of things before bashing what I wrote. The year is 2008.

Quote:
What your original post reveals is your frustration of working with clients who are newbies and wannabes. Have you thought about why you are not able to attract higher-caliber clients? Maybe YOU need to do some research and polish up your skills.
Ummm, again you are making assumptions. Where did I ever say I was unable to attract higher caliber clients? Like many studios, we work with clients ranging from major label artists to local artists. We work with clients from all over the world in a wide range of genres. My skills are not the issue here and your thinly veiled, unfounded digs are a bit childish.

Quote:
Do a search... the topic of using Beat Detective to find the BPM of a song has been discussed here many times.
I am fully aware of how to find the bpm of a song using beat detective, recycle, the grid and various other methods. However, when someone brings something that is at 87.976 or some other absurd bpm (which I have seen multiple times), it wastes everyones time. Personally I dont like to waste time. Thank you for doing your best to be condescending though.

Quote:
Try that and an attitude adjustment. Stop cursing so much.
If you notice, YOU are the only one it has been directed at. Maybe you should re-read the thread and see if you can figure out why. Maybe it is your attitude that brought it about.

Quote:
The industry does a fine job of filtering out the wannabes. That goes for artists, producers, "C.E.O.'s", engineers, and studios.
Exactly. I personally would like to see more artists become more than just wannabes. My post was actually giving advice that was intended to help them move towards that. Apparently you are happy to just take their money. I personally care about music and aspiring artists.
Old 11th August 2008
  #60
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 

I guess I was was wrong... you probably have worked with lots of successful, major-label acts. They just didn't give you credit for it. That has happened to me too. It sucks.

I think it is easier than ever to start a label. The cost of admission is a fraction of what it once was. The problem now is not getting started or even getting distribution. There problem for an indie is getting your product noticed above the surrounding chaff. If you have the money, you can buy a lot of favors to get your spins and adds and do some marketing. Getting distribution to the stores if pointless if no one knows your product is there.

Why curse at me because I disagree with you? I didn't curse at you or call you names. If this the type of conduct that goes on in the corporate boardrooms you frequent? I thought you wanted people to be better communicators. Cursing is not a sign of intellect.

Your OP was about saving the pitiful state of Hip Hop. Knowing the BPM of your beat to save the engineer 30 seconds of your time and effort is not going to start a movement.

Now you claim to know Hip Hop and care about the people you work with, but I think you expressed your true insight when you wrote this:

"Really? You REALLY cant figure out what I could possibly mean by that? You are THAT thick? Here, let me try and explain it simply for you. Hip hop requires little investment in the sense that you dont need to have any musical training whatsoever, you dont need to learn an instrument, you dont have to buy an instrument etc. All you have to do is "spit" and you can call yourself a "rapper". Now talented rappers are amazing. It is an art and it takes an incredible about of skill but even if you are terrible you can still call yourself a rapper. To even be terrible at an instrument takes a great deal more investment."


Sounds to me like you really don't respect the game. That's not an assumption on my part. It is what you wrote.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
PimpboyLee / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
101
smccarthy945 / The Moan Zone
11
sage691 / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
4
jonfromsomobe / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
2
Jenre / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump