The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dissapointing Business Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

imo keep doing it as a hobby as long as you have fun. concentrate on your 9-5 job and your family.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
Yo as an underground head and conscious rapper let me give you my opinion. The lyrics aint bad but like others are saying the delivery is not really grappin me. The beats and production is fire. My advice as crazy as it may sound is MOVE. South florida aint really the place for underground. If your serious about following your dream research cities that have a good underground scene and research their artists. Myspace the artist and ask them was up with the music scene. You may find a city where you can find a niche locally. The whole essence of underground is not big money or fame. If you can make a humble living off of your love thats success. From your samples you sound like you prolly like other genres too. Go too school or learn how to record rock or whatever else so you can make money as a recording engineer. You sound like your good with making beats, try to start up a website on teachin people how. Man anything you can think of to bring in money to pay bills so you can keep doing music is worth it. **** being the next big thing. I mean if thats where it takes you cool, but work hard because its your true love.

But for real Im talkin out my A** cause im 29 got 2 degrees and just dropped out of the Electrical Engineering program to go to school for music production.I have 2 kids. My self set up to go get a good job if I had to and I had all the nice chains,cars,clothes. All that. I just sold all of it to buy gear.I dont care where I have to move or what I have to do as long as I can do music and make a living Im happy. I plan on working 24/7 to get where I need to and if it dont work then whatever but Im gonna still do it as ahobby 4 ever.
Kudos for getting rid of the bling!!
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
Ok, this track got some radio play in Canada. Tell me if this one sucks just as bad as the other one. Thanks.
i think your delivery is much better. i think your a much better rapper than prince fwiw.
Old 8th August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Kelly View Post
This is an incredibly lame statement, and I hear it all the time.

If it would've been dope in 2001, it would still be dope now (maybe less 'appeal'). The only exceptions are things that are too tied to gimmicks, trends, and "image".
Since his music is supposedly about everything BUT that, then it should stand the test of time..certainly 7 years.

Are you serious though, aresem? If you heard the same song in 2001, you be like "This is dope!" but you now think it's wack?

You ain't gotta sugar-coat it man.. it wouldn't fly in 2001 either... let's go back to my post above:

I compared it to Jaheim's "Fabolous".
YouTube - Jaheim fabolous

That was released in early 2002. So one year after.
lol man.... how are u comparing his music to someone like jayheim or fabolous?! do u even know anything about hip hop?? as much as i hate to admit it, i was pretty huge on the whole underground movement (which i would say peaked from '98-'02), and yeah... the dude's music sounds similar to all the backpacker rap that was huge around then.

and what are u talkin about "if it was dope in 2001, it would be dope now"?? haha worst statement evarrr. i can name a million records that the 2001-me would LOVE but the 2008-me hates. why is that such a hard concept to grasp?? this is totally a personally prefeence thing. my preferences just changed over time. is something wrong with that?? get a grip, dude. i'm writing all this as a fan of music... not from a rapper/producer prospective.
Old 8th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresem View Post
lol man.... how are u comparing his music to someone like jayheim or fabolous?! do u even know anything about hip hop?? as much as i hate to admit it, i was pretty huge on the whole underground movement (which i would say peaked from '98-'02), and yeah... the dude's music sounds similar to all the backpacker rap that was huge around then.

and what are u talkin about "if it was dope in 2001, it would be dope now"?? haha worst statement evarrr. i can name a million records that the 2001-me would LOVE but the 2008-me hates. why is that such a hard concept to grasp?? this is totally a personally prefeence thing. my preferences just changed over time. is something wrong with that?? get a grip, dude. i'm writing all this as a fan of music... not from a rapper/producer prospective.
Maybe if you listened to the song, you would understand why I compared it to Fabulous. Or if you read my previous post before this one.
Ok, you won't listen -- Fabulous is the exact same loop, just made into a real song.. not a little bedroom jump off for a couple drunk friends.

But anyways, we obviously don't share the same outlook at all.. so we'll just leave it at that.
Old 8th August 2008
Here for the gear

haha agreed. i am way off topic....
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
i work with this group named Duo Live that supposedly sold 40,000 hand to hand. they have a whole crew of people with a really aggressive sales approach, and they'll be in multiple cities at once too. it really worked for them though, they're making another album now.
Duo Live is the real deal. They were out on the beach when i was out there and they are still doing it.

They showed us a lot of love. They bought our CDs and I bought some of thier stuff too.

We gave them a run for thier money at the time though. It was good clean competition and we all respected each other.

Old 8th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
i work 7 days a week. my only days off are days i force myself to take off, which just leaves me stacked up with more work when i get back to it. Sometimes there is no family life at all. quite often i have to cancel plans at the last minute for my bigger clients who need what they need when they need it. But i love what i do, and this is the life i chose. I'm not complaining about it. it is what it is, and it has come with alot of sacrifice, and alot of success.

I do, whenever possible, try to spend at least a few hours a day with my other half, and try to work less on weekends, but mixing on a friday and/or saturday night is a regular occurance. and yes, i actually can and do keep this up all year round. I havent been slow at all in over 3 years. i do take about 3 or so weeks of vacation a year to nice places. I have tried when possible to pare back to 50-60 hour work weeks, but i've already worked five 100+ hour weeks this year alone, which is typical. I'm sure many of the guys on these boards have very similar stories. Success takes its pound of flesh.

dude, you are headed to another heart attack if you keep it up.
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Nut

I'm doing it cos of duty.....
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Addict

Thanks...

Guys, thanks for all the feedback. I agree with everyone actually. I know the sound is dated and I am just happy I have made it to the point of being able to MC although its not that great.

The next step is to update the sound and switch the production around and then focus on lyrics that go with a new sound. Unlike alot of people on here, I don't have alot of time to work on music after work with trying to take care of my 8 month old daughter and helping my wife so its tough.

I love working on music but its a luxury right now. I am sure my **** would sound so much better if I could concentrate on it more. I guess for you guys who are going all out and quitting your jobs and going for it, man more power to you! I grew up poor and broke and I know the pain of going through that situation and quite honestly I don't think I want to go back to that to have more time for music. Putting my family in a ****ty neighborhood and having to worry about someone breaking in and hurting my wife or child is not worth the sacrifice of trying to have more time to produce records and make it.

As with everything, it always a balance. I am not a materialistic person and drive a pretty moderate car and live in a small house but the one thing is I don't want my family living in a dump. When you go into the lower end neighborhoods they come with their own set of headaches and I speak from experience.
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
Putting my family in a ****ty neighborhood and having to worry about someone breaking in and hurting my wife or child is not worth the sacrifice of trying to have more time to produce records and make it.
It takes a man to put his family before his own desires and dreams. Kudos.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
dude, you are headed to another heart attack if you keep it up.
well fortunately i didnt have a heart attack. i assure you if i had i would not still be walking the earth, young people usually dont survive them, especially with the blockage i had. i knew something was up with my heart, got it checked out, and very soon after was having open heart surgery.

For the most part, i dont do anything remotely close to what i used to do as far as sleep deprivation and physical stress from hours. But yeah, sometimes its unavoidable.

I will say this, as i'm sure it is with alot of guys, in my 20's, i did the most insane stretches of hours imaginable. even in my early 30's. Nowadays, even when i'm working 100 hour weeks, i'm still getting 7 or 8 hours of sleep a night. I cannot stress to anybody how important getting correct sleep is. I also consume about 1/4 of the caffiene that i used to and eat WAY better, which i would suggest to anyone to start taking seriously. Especially if your running yourself ragged with hours.
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Guru

I cannot believe that a lot of artist must have a record deal or they are not happy. Im here to tell you that is a HUGE gamble in todays world, depending on the contract, wonder if its a huge deal and you don't sell what is expected ? . then your ass is in a lot of debt. I admit many years ago i was hard up for a deal but that is the last thing on my mind, getting my CD played overseas and people over there buying it means more than anything and im not in debt or taking a gamble. I enjoy putting my music on the net and playing live, thats all you need.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search