The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dissapointing Business Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by confooshus View Post
I stand corrected.

Ken, how do you balance family life with that schedule? This is NOT a callout (after seeing how that guy was treated in the Fletcher thread, I wanna make sure there are no misunderstandings). Man that's an insane lifestyle, but obviously it's payed off for you. Surely this is just a busy season, no way you can keep that up all year round.... Right?!
i work 7 days a week. my only days off are days i force myself to take off, which just leaves me stacked up with more work when i get back to it. Sometimes there is no family life at all. quite often i have to cancel plans at the last minute for my bigger clients who need what they need when they need it. But i love what i do, and this is the life i chose. I'm not complaining about it. it is what it is, and it has come with alot of sacrifice, and alot of success.

I do, whenever possible, try to spend at least a few hours a day with my other half, and try to work less on weekends, but mixing on a friday and/or saturday night is a regular occurance. and yes, i actually can and do keep this up all year round. I havent been slow at all in over 3 years. i do take about 3 or so weeks of vacation a year to nice places. I have tried when possible to pare back to 50-60 hour work weeks, but i've already worked five 100+ hour weeks this year alone, which is typical. I'm sure many of the guys on these boards have very similar stories. Success takes its pound of flesh.
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
i work 7 days a week. my only days off are days i force myself to take off, which just leaves me stacked up with more work when i get back to it. Sometimes there is no family life at all. quite often i have to cancel plans at the last minute for my bigger clients who need what they need when they need it. But i love what i do, and this is the life i chose. I'm not complaining about it. it is what it is, and it has come with alot of sacrifice, and alot of success.

I do, whenever possible, try to spend at least a few hours a day with my other half, and try to work less on weekends, but mixing on a friday and/or saturday night is a regular occurance. and yes, i actually can and do keep this up all year round. I havent been slow at all in over 3 years. i do take about 3 or so weeks of vacation a year to nice places. I have tried when possible to pare back to 50-60 hour work weeks, but i've already worked five 100+ hour weeks this year alone, which is typical. I'm sure many of the guys on these boards have very similar stories. Success takes its pound of flesh.
Wow.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Addict

Thanks

Guys, thanks for the feedback. I don't take any of it as an attack. I appreciate the comments everyone has made. I actually find it pretty encouraging actually! Sometimes you need to refocus or look at things a different way and the comments here have actually made me do that.

I had a couple people ask for a track so I am posting one here. The rest of the music is at MC Celtic/Black Irish Productions. I don't think I will honestly ever give up as it is what I love to do but I would be lying if I tell you that it is more than frustrating some days.

You just feel like you put so much time into it sometimes for nothing and that is the frustrating part!
Attached Files

the death of hip hop 320(2).mp3 (4.02 MB, 127 views)

Old 7th August 2008
Gear Head

In my opinion the track sounds, good but I think it's like what everybody is saying there is just a lack of something in it. The production, and lyrics aren't bad there just really isn't an edge in it, the song wouldn't do well mainstream, and would struggle even on the underground, the way I see it most underground is grimey, street stuff, and most mainstream is about hoes, bling, cars etc etc. Not saying you need any of that stuff but you do need something to make yourself stand out. I am really in no position to give advice, since I am probably further away from making it then you are, I am only giving advice as a music fan.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

i hate to kick you while your down, but the track is not strong. conceptually the celtic thing is pretty esoteric and i feel like you are going to do irish hip hop it should really bang. the mix is not great and the vocal delivery is not either.

if this is what you love then keep working hard at it and keep improving. sorry to be so critical, it is just one persons opinion.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post

I had a couple people ask for a track so I am posting one here. The rest of the music is at MC Celtic/Black Irish Productions. I don't think I will honestly ever give up as it is what I love to do but I would be lying if I tell you that it is more than frustrating some days.

ok...here's my opinion and i'll try to make it as constructive as possible. this is the same way i approach any track i make and my outlook on the genre as a whole. not saying me and my crew is god's gift to hip hop music, but we do aiight.

1st...the beat is boring as hell. first 15 seconds i felt like i've heard this a million times before. sounds like every other "underground" track i've heard since 1997. sampled/mpcish/vinyl beat. hella predictable. nothing that's moving or engaging.

2nd...the topic is WACK. it's dead. get off the whole "rap sucks, hip hop is dead" train. that **** was boring back in 2000 when anticon and everyone else played it the **** out.

you're just repeating the past, with the lyrics, the beat, etc. i understand people love "classic" hip hop and boom bap, but man, move into the future. this is 2008. innovate don't try to repeat what's been done.

if you just LOVE that sound and that era, take on what your influences did and BUILD on it. take their formula and improve it. move it into the future. what can you add that's your own spin on things? what makes you UNIQUE? what are you adding?

if you feel like hip hop is REALLY dead quit lamenting about it. bring it back to life by engaging in NEW topics, NEW approaches, and FRESH energy.

this is the type of music you can hear at any underground hip hop show all over the USA. the same type of shows that i hate going to, because it's a bunch of 20ish males standing around looking drab, nodding their heads or just staring at the MC. what's exciting about that? who is that fun for?

now......not saying i've figured all of this out or i have some secret formula. i'm still finding my way too, but maybe i can show you a new path you never knew existed.

feel free to blast on my tracks, nobody is above criticism thumbsup
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Addict

Ok, one more..

Ok, this track got some radio play in Canada. Tell me if this one sucks just as bad as the other one. Thanks.
Attached Files

Track2 - Wake Up.mp3 (4.94 MB, 123 views)

Old 7th August 2008
Gear Addict

By the way..

By the way Cynic, that girl you have in your group is a star. You should promote the **** out of her.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, this track got some radio play in Canada. Tell me if this one sucks just as bad as the other one. Thanks.
i like this one better personally, but still it's sounds "same-ish". nothing unique, nothing that has that edge. good, but not memorable. could be i'm just bored with "hip hop" as a lot of people define it.

now, this is just one man's opinion....to give you a perspective of where i'm coming from - here's some newer **** i'm feeling that i believe is pushing the boundaries of hip hop and moving the music forward (and **** i just enjoy personally).

this **** kinda ranges from hip hop and beyond...

= lyrics / delivery / swag / creativeness:

tech n9ne / lynch
Tech N9ne My World (Ft. Brotha Lynch Hung, Dalima) - Song - MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music

kano's "home sweet home" album - YouTube - kano p's & q's

MySpace.com - Santogold - BROOKLYN, New York - New Wave / Dub / Psychobilly - www.myspace.com/santogold

MIA's first album 'arular'
Amazon.com: Arular: MP3 Downloads: M.I.A.

grayskul's "bloody radio" album
Grayskul Missing (featuring Andrea Zollo of Pretty Girls Make Graves) - Song - MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music

mac dre
YouTube - Mac Dre - Feelin' Myself

obie trice - average man
Obie Trice’s Music Videos – Listen free at Last.fm

= beats / mix:

starkey mix:
http://www.seclusiasis.com/mixes/Sta...StreetBass.mp3

megasoid's tank thong mixtape:
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

edIT & the glitch mob: (listen to the "air raid megamix")
MySpace.com - edIT - Los Angeles, California - Hip Hop / IDM / Melodramatic Popular Song - www.myspace.com/edit

ludachrist:
http://www.worshipludachrist.com/wor...T_BANGFEST.mp3

burial:
YouTube - Burial - Etched Headplate

blend / under 140 dubstep & grime set:
blend! - Under140 _Grime-Dubstep set_.mp3 - DivShare

........sorry if that was a huge list. the stuff towards the end is where i see hip hop moving in the future, but again it's just one man's vision :p
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
By the way Cynic, that girl you have in your group is a star. You should promote the **** out of her.
i'd like to think the same thing...that's my little sister and i'm hella proud of her. we're trying...
Old 7th August 2008
I hope you see this as a positive thing... because it actually is, it just sucks hearing it (but gives hope for the long run, if you're willing to work, it's on you--the music industry is NOT dead)

Your music is definitely part of what's holding you back. sorry.

The second track was stronger (or at least more viable to find an audience for it)... when Jaheim's song with that same Harold Melvin joint was a smash, that was played to death and features on numerous movies..

Compare what Jaheim and Kaygee did with that exact same loop on Fabulous.
YouTube - Jaheim fabolous
See how your song pales in comparison?
from the moment the beat drops, I'm feelin' warm and bobbin' my head.. jah and the kids group compliments nicely.

Sorry if I'm too straight up, but this is a perfect example of how to learn where improvement is needed. It should paint a clear picture of how you need to step your game up. compare various aspects of your songs -- you both started with the same building block(s).

There's two ways make music that stands out:

1) Do the same thing as everyone else, but do it REALLY ****IN GOOD!

2) Do something different and needed, well enough to pass...

The coolest scenerio of course is to go hybrid -- do something really, really well AND different at the same time (a different that's needed tho, not simply to be different.. that's homo)

My own music isn't anywhere yet that I aspire to be... no where even close to my aspirations, but I still pay all my bills, party, buy gear, and lease a seperate studio space.. all from music money. In a geographical place where there is NO MONEY in music. especially rap.
As you pal from SouthBeach said, it can be done.. but you gotta go hard.
Unfortunately, the road I've taken the last year has kept me from doing my own music... I haven't been "creating", more working on other peoples stuff. Soon I will put together another album though, and plan to eat off of it for a bit... as I'm sure it will succeed my first album, which I didn't even care for lol.. it was just an experiment in ever aspect of "making and selling an album". the experiment proved worthy.. next go ima kill 'em.... the game changes when you love what you're pushing...and that's my plan.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

If it makes anyone feel better, I was having the worst year of my life up until 2 weeks ago. In those 2 weeks I have secured contracts that put me right back where I should have been.hehhehhehheh Seconds can feel like minutes in this rat race but you gotta keep your head down and keep movin.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I actually played on that very session with Teddy P and the Bluenotes.
Old 7th August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
ok...here's my opinion and i'll try to make it as constructive as possible. this is the same way i approach any track i make and my outlook on the genre as a whole. not saying me and my crew is god's gift to hip hop music, but we do aiight.

1st...the beat is boring as hell. first 15 seconds i felt like i've heard this a million times before. sounds like every other "underground" track i've heard since 1997. sampled/mpcish/vinyl beat. hella predictable. nothing that's moving or engaging.

2nd...the topic is WACK. it's dead. get off the whole "rap sucks, hip hop is dead" train. that **** was boring back in 2000 when anticon and everyone else played it the **** out.

you're just repeating the past, with the lyrics, the beat, etc. i understand people love "classic" hip hop and boom bap, but man, move into the future. this is 2008. innovate don't try to repeat what's been done.

if you just LOVE that sound and that era, take on what your influences did and BUILD on it. take their formula and improve it. move it into the future. what can you add that's your own spin on things? what makes you UNIQUE? what are you adding?

if you feel like hip hop is REALLY dead quit lamenting about it. bring it back to life by engaging in NEW topics, NEW approaches, and FRESH energy.

this is the type of music you can hear at any underground hip hop show all over the USA. the same type of shows that i hate going to, because it's a bunch of 20ish males standing around looking drab, nodding their heads or just staring at the MC. what's exciting about that? who is that fun for?

now......not saying i've figured all of this out or i have some secret formula. i'm still finding my way too, but maybe i can show you a new path you never knew existed.

feel free to blast on my tracks, nobody is above criticism thumbsup
i'm gonna have to agree with this 100%. your tracks are sounding VERY dated. this woulda been dope in like... 2001, but it's a new day and age and hip hop is changing RAPIDLY.

let's take a look at some of the newer hip hop acts today with a pretty strong buzz:

Wale: that go-go steez he's bringin is refreshing as hell to hear in hip hop today. hip hop needs more live instrumentation and wale is leading the charge.
Cool Kids: that whole retro, minimalist-sound is making them stand out big time... and they havent even released an full-length album yet!
Kidz In the Hall: could be compared to Cool Kids (without the weird clothes) but they always bring heat without "selling-out" and sacrificing their morale.

i could go on and on about numerous more acts, but with that said, all these guys are considered the next generation of hip hop because they all bring something NEW to the table. they arent complaining about the state of hip hop, but instead innovating, which i think is the key ingredient missing from your music, fam... it's all about innovation. keepin workin on it tho. i respect your hustle.
Old 7th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresem View Post
i'm gonna have to agree with this 100%. your tracks are sounding VERY dated. this woulda been dope in like... 2001, but it's a new day and age and hip hop is changing RAPIDLY.
This is an incredibly lame statement, and I hear it all the time.

If it would've been dope in 2001, it would still be dope now (maybe less 'appeal'). The only exceptions are things that are too tied to gimmicks, trends, and "image".
Since his music is supposedly about everything BUT that, then it should stand the test of time..certainly 7 years.

Are you serious though, aresem? If you heard the same song in 2001, you be like "This is dope!" but you now think it's wack?

You ain't gotta sugar-coat it man.. it wouldn't fly in 2001 either... let's go back to my post above:

I compared it to Jaheim's "Fabolous".
YouTube - Jaheim fabolous

That was released in early 2002. So one year after.

Someone who hasn't over-heard that song will think it's great today, if if it doesn't have the 808s in it. And that's one year after 2001.

Ya'll need to stop making excuses. I don't make excuses for myself when I suck... reasons, but not excuses.
Old 7th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
I actually played on that very session with Teddy P and the Bluenotes.
To further my post above, Wake Up (the original) still sounds great today, although admittedly you can recognize it's from a different era.

Last edited by coyotekells; 7th August 2008 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: clarification -- the original 'wake up'
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Kelly View Post
To further my post above, Wake Up (the original) still sounds great today, although admittedly you can recognize it's from a different era.
If you were to take a trip back in time and somehow be in on one of those sessions and witness just how they were done, when you arrive back to 2008 I swear that you would go back to the drawing board or just get a regular day gig.

Whats being done now is really amateur by the standards by which were setforth during that period of great music.

Im not hatin--just statin
Old 7th August 2008
Quote:
If you were to take a trip back in time and somehow be in on one of those sessions and witness just how they were done, when you arrive back to 2008 I swear that you would go back to the drawing board or just get a regular day gig.

Whats being done now is really amateur by the standards by which were setforth during that period of great music.

I believe it's rooted in a problem we see in all of our art forms... from music to architecture.

No one wants to develop a skill passionately their whole life, to be in the background.

It's the era of the solo artist.. and his computer.

I'm not saying I'm above it in any way, but I do recognize it.

These masterpieces of the past are the result of a lot of people who work very hard to do things they will never get "front man" credit for.

Since the computer doesn't complain, and the engineer is the only one to pay, it's much easier to become a star out of nowhere...

which of course keeps this cycle going.

no one wants to be the backup singer.. alongside 3 other backup singers..and work their ass to get the chops right and learn the songs.

So we're all singing to TV mixes -- pretty corny.. but it's become accepted, because unless you got Alicia Keys clout, or a more acoustic (forgiving) style, it's not happening
Old 7th August 2008
Philly, you should change your sig just a little.

"Not hatin' -- just statin' -- and not elaboratin'"

Sorry, but regardless of how true they are (and merited, really).. you half sentence answers to the newbie posts drive people nuts. Pay homage
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Philly, you should change your sig just a little.

"Not hatin' -- just statin' -- and not elaboratin'"

Sorry, but regardless of how true they are (and merited, really).. you half sentence answers to the newbie posts drive people nuts. Pay homage
I think Philly is hilarious ... like the jaded old engineer!

Im not even old and starting to feel/talk like a grumpy old man.

The kids just gotta figure him out.

Old 7th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission View Post

Ya, I'm heading over to Wikipedia right now to edit the entry for the word "Jaded".

I'm caught on the fence, cause I feel everything he says, I just don't feel it's the end-all-be-all ... I like freakin' to the degrading rnb of 2008, just like I like lovemakin to Teddy P ..and a lot of things in between.

For someone who hates everything, I do like a lot of ****.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ya, I'm heading over to Wikipedia right now to edit the entry for the word "Jaded".

I'm caught on the fence, cause I feel everything he says, I just don't feel it's the end-all-be-all ... I like freakin' to the degrading rnb of 2008, just like I like lovemakin to Teddy P ..and a lot of things in between.

For someone who hates everything, I do like a lot of ****.
Puttin a PSM picture in there huh?

Make sure it's the pirate one!

heh
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
classic...
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

yo Tony,
I guess I missed my calling as a comedian.

Thing is, in order to keep up with the changes in our industry, one has to constantly reinvent himself in order to stay ahead of the game.

Having said that, Im blessed to have been on the set during some major periods in the creation of soul music of all kinds and guess what....I m still here and I aint going anywhere
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Puttin a PSM picture in there huh?

Make sure it's the pirate one!

heh
Make sure that he looks like Samuel L.Jackson..complete with a backwards Kangol
Old 8th August 2008
Quote:
Make sure that he looks like Samuel L.Jackson..complete with a backwards Kangol
ah..yaaa... so you were saying about reinventing yourself. It sounds like now might be a good time ?

nix the kangol
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
ah..yaaa... so you were saying about reinventing yourself. It sounds like now might be a good time ?

nix the kangol
**** kangols are classic like chuck taylors. that's some bboy **** right there. but i rock mine forward.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

nix the kangol
A fitted just wont fit in
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Yo as an underground head and conscious rapper let me give you my opinion. The lyrics aint bad but like others are saying the delivery is not really grappin me. The beats and production is fire. My advice as crazy as it may sound is MOVE. South florida aint really the place for underground. If your serious about following your dream research cities that have a good underground scene and research their artists. Myspace the artist and ask them was up with the music scene. You may find a city where you can find a niche locally. The whole essence of underground is not big money or fame. If you can make a humble living off of your love thats success. From your samples you sound like you prolly like other genres too. Go too school or learn how to record rock or whatever else so you can make money as a recording engineer. You sound like your good with making beats, try to start up a website on teachin people how. Man anything you can think of to bring in money to pay bills so you can keep doing music is worth it. **** being the next big thing. I mean if thats where it takes you cool, but work hard because its your true love.

But for real Im talkin out my A** cause im 29 got 2 degrees and just dropped out of the Electrical Engineering program to go to school for music production.I have 2 kids. My self set up to go get a good job if I had to and I had all the nice chains,cars,clothes. All that. I just sold all of it to buy gear.I dont care where I have to move or what I have to do as long as I can do music and make a living Im happy. I plan on working 24/7 to get where I need to and if it dont work then whatever but Im gonna still do it as ahobby 4 ever.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwyent View Post
8 months in 2006. Sometimes people just saw you and respect your hustle and buy your whole lot.

We had a guy buy a case of 100 CDs at a private party. He was some big shot that didn't deal with music but this was the only way he knew to help.

To be honest the artist did most of the selling. There is something about the artist being passionate enough to do this that makes some people not able to pass it up.

I provided support in many ways. i did go out selling with him most of the time.

i work with this group named Duo Live that supposedly sold 40,000 hand to hand. they have a whole crew of people with a really aggressive sales approach, and they'll be in multiple cities at once too. it really worked for them though, they're making another album now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search