The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why most recording engineers suck... Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
...He's actually a cool guy.

Don't tell me he's just....................misunderstood.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
ok, I know the shows over (schoolyard passive aggressive bully threatens joker-hero who capitulates to the disappointment of surrounding cowardly mob who suddenly stop baying for blood and awkwardly disperse...), but that picture of Neitzche at the SSL was just the end ! hehhehheh

If it's game over already then Doomboy wins!
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
A Nihilist Rants...

The Blog of Blackened.

What they should have told you before they lied to you...

Welcome to this planet, and i'm glad I could greet you, but i'm sorry to inform you that everyone here is ****ed. No seriously, we are all ****ed. There is nothing you can accomplish here, so don't fool yourself because this place is damned. We're still not sure where we came from or why we're here, but it is apparent that someone played a cruel joke on all of us. Most likely you will be a slave until the day you die, unless of course you are one of the luckier ones, but even so no matter what you do in this life, you can do nothing but spread more pain. This is because life is pain. There is no way around it.

Do not believe what you are told. It will be a lie. I can personally guarantee it. From the onset on human kind, out history is based on lies. No one can save us, so don't believe that either. Look forward to some times of happiness, but rest assured they will pale as shimmering glimples. Like each setting sun, know that with happiness you have been decieved! I'm sorry to tell you that there is no ultimate purpose here.

You will spend much of your time toiling. Or watching others toiling. Maybe things will have calmed down by the time you ar eold should you get that far, but as for peace it will come at a price, so use caution my friend and always "behold the price."

In closing, if you we're smart, you would give up now, but I know that mostly your mind is curious. This is what us humanbeings live on is curiosity and hope. Though pathetic it is truth, and truth does not exist in abundance here. For all you know, when you die, and you will die soon enough friend, the world will cease when you cease, and for the most part no one will remember you for long!

Eat **** and die!

Sincerely,

God (or whatever the **** they call me)

Bed-Wetter...
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvbass View Post
Bed-Wetter...
C'mon. It's not nice to name-call people who type with a chopstick glued to their hockey helmet.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Bed-Wetter...
Oops! Seems a little out of place where that post landed. This thread just moved to fast.

Still, I stand by it.

Funniest thread for ages!
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Funniest thread for ages!
It was so much funnier yesterday.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaques Beraques View Post
It was so much funnier yesterday.
Yeah. I do feel like i just returned to a party after doing a beer run and everybody's f**ked off home!
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah. I do feel like i just returned to a party after doing a beer run and everybody's f**ked off home!
lolheh
Old 4th August 2008
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by malice View Post
No, he's not. The Guy that posted the thread is an obnoxious pretentious moron.

The guy that calls you is not the same...

You mean: "And that is the problem with the internet"

Sometimes I feel like closing the laptop and stop posting on forums because of this ****.

One guy is posting a rant, basically insulting a whole profession in the said profession bar ( like coming in a Harley convention with a Honda) , threatening to ruin a studio reputation or an honest guy like you (as stupid as it may sounds, I agree).

Then we have you saying: "he's actually a cool guy ..."

So lemme say this : bring the "cool guy" in the thread and let him formulates a sincere apology.

Then I might reconsider the guy is not a genuine troll. Meanwhile, I'm not standing corrected at all, and I hope you'll mix your new butt buddy's myspace tracks in the future, because he needs it baaaaaaadly. i'm sure you can do it for a reasonable fee.

your pal

malice

thank you...and well said...

Old 4th August 2008
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
C'mon. It's not nice to name-call people who type with a chopstick glued to their hockey helmet.
lol

Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

Oh my

I have not been to the moan zone for a bit and, as a matter of fact, I've actually been posting items in the Good News Zone. This thread, though, disturbed me.

I'm not a failed musician but a professional engineer. I make all of my income and support a commercial recording studio as a professional engineer. Reading what this jack*ss had to say really set me off.

First, you can't record an album for $5000 - well, you can but it won't sound very good. This sounds like nothing but sour grapes to me.

Until quite recently, I answered the phones at my studio. In the 9 years that I've been doing this full time, I've never once had a musician ask me about anything other than price. They never ask about the engineers, they never ask about the gear, they just want to know the price.

I also host the weekly open house and, again, I've never had a musician ask about the equipment or my monitoring system or anything relevant for that matter. Yup, they just want a dollar amount.

It is no wonder that they get taken advantage of so often and end up with sh*tty sounding projects. If all that matters is price then they'll gravitate towards the least experienced engineers with the crappiest equipment.

For my own personal rant, the level of musicianship is so terrible now that most of what we do is fix the fact that the drummer can't play in time (nor maintain his drums - God bless drumagog!), singers can't sing in key, bassists and guitarists can't maintain their own instruments so they have to use ours and their songs are so poorly arranged as to make them unlistenable.

Finally, this guy wouldn't last 10 seconds here because the first time he ran his dumb mouth I would show him the door.
Old 5th August 2008
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvwainscott View Post
I have not been to the moan zone for a bit and, as a matter of fact, I've actually been posting items in the Good News Zone. This thread, though, disturbed me.

I'm not a failed musician but a professional engineer. I make all of my income and support a commercial recording studio as a professional engineer. Reading what this jack*ss had to say really set me off.

First, you can't record an album for $5000 - well, you can but it won't sound very good. This sounds like nothing but sour grapes to me.

Until quite recently, I answered the phones at my studio. In the 9 years that I've been doing this full time, I've never once had a musician ask me about anything other than price. They never ask about the engineers, they never ask about the gear, they just want to know the price.

I also host the weekly open house and, again, I've never had a musician ask about the equipment or my monitoring system or anything relevant for that matter. Yup, they just want a dollar amount.

It is no wonder that they get taken advantage of so often and end up with sh*tty sounding projects. If all that matters is price then they'll gravitate towards the least experienced engineers with the crappiest equipment.

For my own personal rant, the level of musicianship is so terrible now that most of what we do is fix the fact that the drummer can't play in time (nor maintain his drums - God bless drumagog!), singers can't sing in key, bassists and guitarists can't maintain their own instruments so they have to use ours and their songs are so poorly arranged as to make them unlistenable.

Finally, this guy wouldn't last 10 seconds here because the first time he ran his dumb mouth I would show him the door.

Old 5th August 2008
Here for the gear

and yet another disgruntled engineer... I had a right to be disgruntled, because I got ripped off by a studio... Also engineers think their time is so valuable! Most engineers aren't even worth worth working with for free...
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

and. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened View Post
and yet another disgruntled engineer... I had a right to be disgruntled, because I got ripped off by a studio... Also engineers think their time is so valuable! Most engineers aren't even worth worth working with for free...
You got ripped off because you were dumb enough to think that you could record an entire album for $5000. If that were so, then how come very intelligent for profit corporations (the ones that would icepick their grandmothers for .02) spend tens of thousands of dollars to create their product? Are you just smarter than them?

If I told everyone that I could design and build my own car for $750 everyone would laugh at me but you, with all of your musical wisdom, thought you could make an outstanding product at 1/10th the cost of a low budget label album. Note: Actually, my friend was signed with Nuclear Blast before they merged and his band, Steel Prophet, was only given $40,000 to do their final album.

Case in point. My time must not be that valuable because myself and several other people felt that our time was better spent making fun of you and we were willing to do it for free!fuuck

Garbage in, garbage out. Now get lost. Real engineers, producers and musicians have things they want to talk about.
Old 5th August 2008
Here for the gear

Why most of you...

Why most recording engineers suck... continued!

Man I am definitely not done with all you bastards. If anyone here was truly respectful of anything I had said, I would have been satisfied and gone away. Now I am here to haunt your dreams. I posted this thread and I was repeatedly attacked by multitudes of jealous, incompetent, futile, impotent recording engineers, or people that claimed they were engineers or musicians or both. This comes as no surprise to me. Many studios offer nominal service at exorbitant prices.

None of you made any attempt to see that I had a bad experience, or that some of the other people that could see my point were right. Most recording engineers are arrogant pricks that hate musicians, and often think they are better than the bands they record... And you guys can dog my band all day long, but it only reflects poorly on your own identity and reputation.

Also, my biggest problem is that you think five grand is not a large enough budget to track a record. Well yea at 150 an hour it's not! Most studios are a screw, owned by greedy capitalists that are there to make a profit! Profit on my talent? I think that is even corrupt! There is nothing wrong with making a living, but gouging musicians is not cool!

Blackened Heart

MySpace.com - Blackened Heart - Dallas, Texas - Metal / Metal / Metal - www.myspace.com/blackenedheart
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Here we go with round 2... LOL!
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

C'mon guys, just leave Blackie alone. Can't you see he's got a sensitive side? Metal gods hurt too. Can't you see that he's reaching out?
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

again, careful with the generalisations. People say that I should charge more, simply because the market price of this work is so high, and people expect to pay a lot of money for it, but I know that recording is expensive for bands to do, and I'd hate for anyone to think I was ripping them off.

But I doubt that posting this thread will give you any satisfaction or that anything will be gained by it.
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Maniac

As was said last thread... just don't feed the troll!
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'm sorry. Did you think that all that fancy equipment pays for itself? How about the rent? The electric bill? Advertising the studio? You do know about overhead right? You have ideas. That's great. It takes equipment that costs money to capture those ideas. The engineers aren't going to pay for your studio time sorry. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The engineers have to eat as well. Just in case you forgot. They have mortgage payments, car payments and electric bills for their houses. You would be astonished to see how little most engineers make. It could possibly even get you to shut the hell up and learn about something before bashing it.

So you had a bad experience with a studio. Big deal. I once had a bad experience with a person who happened to be black. But I don't hate black people, or make generalizations. You are making generalizations about a group of people. That's very ignorant of you. You now lack credibility. Congrats. Are you sure that you're just not giving future engineers more fuel to hate you?

Try changing your attitude. Or you could write a song about it (low blow).

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. It's more sorry that you made a profile that bashes engineers.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Man I am definitely not done with all you bastards. If anyone here was truly respectful of anything I had said, I would have been satisfied and gone away. Now I am here to haunt your dreams. I posted this thread and I was repeatedly attacked by multitudes of jealous, incompetent, futile, impotent recording engineers, or people that claimed they were engineers or musicians or both. This comes as no surprise to me. Many studios offer nominal service at exorbitant prices.

None of you made any attempt to see that I had a bad experience, or that some of the other people that could see my point were right. Most recording engineers are arrogant pricks that hate musicians, and often think they are better than the bands they record... And you guys can dog my band all day long, but it only reflects poorly on your own identity and reputation.

Also, my biggest problem is that you think five grand is not a large enough budget to track a record. Well yea at 150 an hour it's not! Most studios are a screw, owned by greedy capitalists that are there to make a profit! Profit on my talent? I think that is even corrupt! There is nothing wrong with making a living, but gouging musicians is not cool!

Blackened Heart

MySpace.com - Blackened Heart - Dallas, Texas - Metal / Metal / Metal - www.myspace.com/blackenedheart
A couple of dumb observations if I may:

1. Just an FYI: studios ARE there to make a profit, otherwise they would be out of business.

2. If you set up your band as a corporation (and you should if you haven't already), you'd know you have to make a profit so you can buy/upgrade/maintain gear, pay your roadies and other expenses, and pay yourselves. That too, is called a profit. And since you have set up your band as a company, studio time is an expense - so you write that off as an expenditure.

3. I too, am a musician. I do my homework and find out which studios have which gear at what price to serve my needs. Just like gear: ya usually get what ya pay for.

Really, I'm not understanding what your beef is other than you haven't set your band up as a corporation, you didn't do your due diligence before stepping in to the studio, and you're not writing off studio time as a business expense.

Am I correct???
Old 5th August 2008
Here for the gear

Jules? James? I'm still waiting to ban him, or at least put him on a sh!tlist.
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Most studios are a screw, owned by greedy capitalists that are there to make a profit! Profit on my talent? I think that is even corrupt! There is nothing wrong with making a living, but gouging musicians is not cool!

[/url]
**** so you want everyone who runs a studio to cut bands a break and loose money or cut even???? Mate look at the class half full not half empty and you will have a better time in this industry. Otherwise shut the **** up and stop being such a big girl. I swear this forum is turning into more of a **** magnet everyday.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Blackened Heart

Don't you have music to make? Get back to work and put this energy into something productive.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Just listened to the tracks on your myspace page. Did you do that stuff at home? I could see being disappointed if you spent $5k. Not trying to dog your band, jsut trying to understand where you're coming from.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Is this how you make friends in real life as well? It's understood that you have had bad experiences with 'certain' engineers in the past. However, your approach to voicing your opinion/experiences is without tact or common sense. What do you expect from the members here, compassion? Thats like me pissing all over your talent/music/craft then expecting for you to be understanding of my situation.

By the way recording studios are a business...not a public service.
Old 5th August 2008
Led
Lives for gear

Hehehehehe...
I suck....therefore I am...
Old 5th August 2008
Here for the gear

How about you put your money towards your own recording rig, take some time to learn the craft and then you can record your band anytime without having to worry about hourly rates and "arrogant" engineers/producers. I'm sure for 5,000 dollars you can get a rig that will give you a more then acceptable sound. And worse comes to worse you pay a little to have it finished. Much less then you would if you had to pay from the start.

That's sort of how I got into recording in the first place, I knew that it was expensive to do this kind of thing a professional places so now I'm in school learning how to do it professionally myself.

I think all musicians should have at least a little knowledge about the process of recording.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

B - can't you find a studio in Dallas for less? Like $50 per hour? I missed your first thread, but if you don't want to pay $150 per hour, don't book that studio. That's the good part about capitalism - you have a right to choose who you'll allow to rip you off.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Nice Myspace page

Currently seeking new creative masterminds to play live and record. Seeking drums, bass, and guitar. Must be willing to write and play metal, move to Dallas, TX and sacrifice to play music. This is not a paying position. Applicants also must be willing to live and breathe metal and wallow in a hopeless pit of sorrow while working towards an ever fleeting future of uncertainty. Inquire within.

Dude, your music sucks. I can see why you hate engineers. They would probably beat their heads on a console until it fell off trying to listen to this crap all day. You suck. You would have a better career as a truck driver. There, I said it. Use my hateful comments as fuel to write something that doesn't suck. I like your cliche lyrics. I've never heard a metal song about apocalypse before (rolls eyes).
fuuck

Last edited by bexarametric; 5th August 2008 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: I needed to add more reasons why his music sucked.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search