The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
another WAR 2003 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th March 2003
Mindreader

So he won an oscar for Shooting For Columbine.

The oscar winners are picked by extremely well informed and influential people who are certainly not stupid.

If he was a bogus documentay film maker he wouldn't have won.

Where are the Hollywood mogul types coming from in this decision and what is their general political persuasion, and do they represent one side of Amercia's view of the world?

I'm only asking 'cos I'm English and sometimes get confused by the differing viewpoints of the U.S.A.'s politics.

Also, if you know of an anti-M.Moore webpage I'd like to see it to know what he got up to really!
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by bassmac
Michael Moore makes FICTION films, presented in a documentary format for the purpose of pushing his own misguided beliefs onto uninformed people.
Funny, For a moment I thought you were talking about fox news

I saw some of his films, I'm curious what you found to be fictional in them

The guy won several prices for his work, I've seen a lot of people pissed by him, but not often a constructive critic about what he stated. tutt

Furthermore, he's not anti-american, he's anti-american administration ( as it is now). I must say I agree with that.

malice

love those smileys
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Michael Moore makes FICTION films, presented in a documentary format for the purpose of pushing his own misguided beliefs onto uninformed people. It works quite well in many cases. - I'm personally fed up with it.

It seems Hollywood is also a little pissed at him for using "we" to describe his own anti-american sentiments. And his stating that only "five" people booed him last night, speaks well to his accuracy as a documentary filmmaker, IMHO.

tutt
Makes me wonder if you would be just a simple redneck or if you thankfully made a fortune through "good connections".

What makes one defend unscrupulous profit systems of the mighty?

Just curious.

Ruphus
Old 24th March 2003
Mindreader

The Fox news channel is a disgrace.
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
The Fox news channel is a disgrace.
Then quit watching it. Seems simple enough, yes? I´m assuming your television has the necessary controls.

Brian T
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruphus
Makes me wonder if you would be just a simple redneck or if you thankfully made a fortune through "good connections".

Calling other people on the forum derogatory terms like ¨simple redneck¨ doesn´t seem too peaceful to me.

And you know he´s a redneck how? Because you disagree with him? That seems sad to me.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT
Then quit watching it.
Brian; he never said he was watching it ...

I mean, you don't really need more than 10 minutes to realise it IS a disgrace

malice
Old 24th March 2003
Mindreader

I don't watch it.

Malice mentioned it.

Since when was saying that one channel sucks an attack on you particularly. There are plenty of other good channels in the states.

And I watched it when I was in LA in November 'cos the friend I was staying with had a basic cable package and I found it to be very different to the other station's reporting.

Now it feels like you're having a go at me when I was trying to get an interesting debate going, when actually I was talking to that bass guy.

I never had a go at your opinions. I just asked bass about them 'cos I'm from the other side of the pond and I'm interested.

If I get told to shut up by asking a few simple questions then there's no hope really is there.

Oh well.

hippie
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

M.M. winning a Oscar doesn't surprise me, after all, his views on guns are right in line with the majority of Hollywood - who believe it's ok to use them in movies, but should be banned from real life.

Keep in mind, intelligent, well informed people often make emotional decisions, on emotional issues, regardless of the facts. It's human nature.

Fact: Hollywood DOESN'T represent American politics. (America is a pretty BIG place.)

Fact: America supports the war, and the President. The minority who don't just happen to yell loud. (and ignore facts)

Fact: Fox News is leading in the ratings.

Them's the facts. (is that how rednecks say it, Ruphus) fuuck
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT
Calling other people on the forum derogatory terms like ¨simple redneck¨ doesn´t seem too peaceful to me.

And you know he´s a redneck how? Because you disagree with him? That seems sad to me.

Regards,
Brian T
I do very much care for piece, but got to admit that it makes me upset with all that incredible ignorance to any fatal thing one could imagine in our world, and then when a few intelligent and couraged personalities start some action to wake the anesthesia crowd there always show up some trained out of the flock to imitate the shepherd dog.

Why redneck? Because of logic. Whether be it about supporting exploitation politics, discrimination or mistreatment of other creatures than men it comes out all of the same kind of mentality, whether being dressed with democracy or naked.
Either disinformed or consciously profitting from evil it makes no difference to me, because the supported circumstances remain what they are.
It shouldn´t need one of daily 40 000 starving kids to be mine to get to an opinion, don´t need to first be a coloured person among racists and it mustn´t be my cat that is strangled only slowly so that its skin won´t be damaged for an anti rheumatism blanket or chic lapel.

If you can´t understand Michael Moore unless you came down to 3$ salary per hour or find your furniture dragged out to the street then you are definitly either missing something or an "ass hole" yourself.

That´s my message.

Ruphus
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

Just a quick question: why are the Germans protesting so much? It seems to me that my good friends (sincerely) in Germany protested by blocking the US in the UN, so (another redneck term) they really don't have a dog in this hunt...I honestly understand their displeasure with some of the goings-on, but since none of their soldiers are actively involved, why are they protesting so hard that water-cannons are called for?

Jordon and other regional nations I can understand (Muslim ties); Britain I understand; even Americans with a different set of global moral values I have can understand, but Germany?

This is in no way an insult or a barb; it is an honest request for information to help me understand why non-participants are demonstrating so vigorously...so if you are in Germany (I lived in Geissen for several years...that's why I care) please enlighten me.

Thank you for any insight.
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Midlandmorgan
Just a quick question: why are the Germans protesting so much? It seems to me that my good friends (sincerely) in Germany protested by blocking the US in the UN, so (another redneck term) they really don't have a dog in this hunt...I honestly understand their displeasure with some of the goings-on, but since none of their soldiers are actively involved, why are they protesting so hard that water-cannons are called for?

Jordon and other regional nations I can understand (Muslim ties); Britain I understand; even Americans with a different set of global moral values I have can understand, but Germany?

This is in no way an insult or a barb; it is an honest request for information to help me understand why non-participants are demonstrating so vigorously...so if you are in Germany (I lived in Geissen for several years...that's why I care) please enlighten me.

Thank you for any insight.
You are wellcome, Midland,

the reason might be, because there are no Germans in my opinion. I also think there are no Americans. Its all just about crowds in different locations and a few common habits. But if you watch it closely those common habits are nothing worth for an attitude. Far more would people of different countries be alike than differ. ( In scientific research about discrimination it very interestingly was found that there wouldn´t be too much disliking against strangers until observers get aware of the similarities to their own habits . I really found this damn interesting.)

Mutuality is of the same nonesense as selective views to other nationalities is the other way round. Nationality or any kind of local patriotism in fact ground on none existing, artificial doktrins.
The chances of your neighbour across the street being far or close to your own attitude on principle is the same with anybody anywhere in the world.

There is only one point giving sense to mentioning nationality or patriotism and such: Economical interests. These terms indeed have always been used and heated by pecuniary interests of a few who then had the dump masses running for it.

Sorry for punning.
You want to know why the Germans would protest so much.
I´m not sure if my answer is absolutely correct, but is has been reported that the Chancler needed the votes of eastern population of the state - and while many there have converted into rednecks a majority still remembers what imperialism means.

Regardless of why Schroeder and Chirac decided to oppose, I am absolutely convinced masses just follow the media. That´s it.
Had they prepared the opposite campaign writing that Sadam was on his way to contaminate the western world only a few thousand people would be demonstrating against the war ( and being punished for it ).

I guess the expected results of this war were not estimated to bring enough cash to the industrial cashboxes in central Europe, otherwise the puppets would had been stringed in another way.

Actually I wonder how the German arming combines didn´t get their interests through. I can´t imagine that they would not had invested some hundreds million Euros in order to get the billion deals settled. Maybe the US didn´t let them have sight of good chances of weapon and mashine attrition. And just transfering some billion tax money like on first Iraq war this time didn´t seem too attractive ( even if some of the cash ought to secretly come on other routes back "home" ).

The anti-war mood a lucky strike at the end, although unfortunately it couldn´t prevent from what is now happening in Iraq to the population and environment.

Ruphus
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

Just weighing in on the Michael Moore issue.

I read an article a while back outlining in copius detail a long list of instances in his movies where Michael Moore manipulated or "staged" significant sections of his documentaries in order to make a greater political or artistic impact. If true, in that sense he is no more of a documentarian than Oliver Stone, who basically presents historical fiction in his movies - completely making up incidents and characters to further his dramatic ends.

Unfortunately, since I can't recall the source material, my comments are pretty much useless as any kind of authoritative argument. But before anointing Mr. Moore as a documentarian icon, you might want to consider the possibility that my anecdotal evidence does have some truth. Now, don't get me wrong, I actually am a lot closer politically to Michael Moore than to those he tends to criticize. But I think it's important if you are calling yourself a scientist, a researcher, or a documentarian, not to fudge the results. In the end, it does your cause no good.

The fact that the Academy in Hollywood gave him an award does not even remotely imply that anyone involved in the voting fact-checked his movies. As a matter of fact, ANY award from the motion picture academy probably means very little at all, other than a bunch of people liked his movie.
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

Moore winning an Oscar is a slap in the face of all the true documentary filmmakers, who go to great lengths to make accurate, fact-based films. Moore simply shouldn't even be in the documentary category.

Bev, and others interested in Michael Moore's lies. Here's a few links I found.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/forms/...l?id=110003233

http://www.spinsanity.org/columns/20021119.html

http://www.leftwatch.com/articles/2002/000117.html
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
I don't watch it.

Malice mentioned it.

Since when was saying that one channel sucks an attack on you particularly. There are plenty of other good channels in the states.

And I watched it when I was in LA in November 'cos the friend I was staying with had a basic cable package and I found it to be very different to the other station's reporting.

Now it feels like you're having a go at me when I was trying to get an interesting debate going, when actually I was talking to that bass guy.

I never had a go at your opinions. I just asked bass about them 'cos I'm from the other side of the pond and I'm interested.

If I get told to shut up by asking a few simple questions then there's no hope really is there.

Oh well.

hippie

I´m confused. Is this about my post? If so, I don´t get it.

TV channels are commercial ventures. If people don´t watch, they go out of business. I don´t watch the ones I don´t like. If most people agree with me, they will change their programming or go out of business. Seems simple.

And I don´t really see how one can become disgusted with a TV channel without watching at least enough to form an opinion. That seems self evident.

Lastly, I have yet to tell anyone to shutup. Even Erik G, though that was tempting, I must admit

So I´m flummoxed about the whole thing at this point. Maybe it´s from being jetlagged in Spain?

Regards,
Brian T
Old 25th March 2003
BT - Any observations on the news reporting in Europe compaired to that in the US? The CNN will be different that for sure.

Old 25th March 2003
Mindreader

Bollocks to whatever that was all about. What you were doing in Spain. Sounds more interesting.
Old 25th March 2003
Schnert
Quote:
Bev, and others interested in Michael Moore's lies. Here's a few links I found.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/forms/...l?id=110003233

http://www.spinsanity.org/columns/20021119.html

http://www.leftwatch.com/articles/2002/000117.html [/B]
I would always watch documentary's with a critical eye, especially if they're big screen movies, no matter in what political direction they point. I have no idea about mr. Moore, never heard of the guy, but I'm never surprised when I notice a Hollywood movie to be aiming at other areas of my brain than the logical ones.....

However, do you find opinions from Wall Street and LeftWatch.com to be critical, unbiased sources without an agenda?
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
BT - Any observations on the news reporting in Europe compaired to that in the US? The CNN will be different that for sure.

As far as I can tell, CNN Intl. here in Spain seems to originate primarily in England. A slightly different take than the US variant. A bit more restrained and stiff-upper-lippish than the States, but they do share in the field reporters, so much is the same. The British angle does make the news seem more serious, hence, more important feeling for some reason. Like Walter Cronkite was in the US.

I´m staying with dear friends who are Mexican nationals and have been residents in Spain for about 10 years. Spain.....land of the perfect butt. Amazing. Boy, do Americans as a group look like a herd of fat butts compared to Spaniards? Wow. Sobering.

¨Hey folks back in the States...........knock off the cheeseburgers and fries.......get out and walk a little, eh?¨

Anyway, back to the news. I speak a little Spanish, but the newsies move too fast for me, so I´ve been sharing and comparing the local/national Spanish news, Euro news and US news with my friends here, who are bilingual.

It´s really not as different as I expected. Given the strong personal biases that predelict our perception of the news, I think a commited conservative or liberal would still hear want they wanted to. Enough of both sides is presented all round to lean which ever way you prefer, and still believe you have the real facts to do so. In essence, the people demonstrating in Madrid have much the same info as the people demonstrating in San Francisco.

Does that make sense?

Frankly, I think Aznar is in more long term trouble over his (non)handling of the oil spill than over the war.

Regards,
Brian T

P.S. If you get tp Spain and don´t see Toledo, you are stupido. Simply incredible.
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

Hey France, Suck on it! fuuck
Old 26th March 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Ah, yes.

The US pays $75 billion plus the lives of its young people in Iraq and the French hope to just step in and snap up the reconstruction deals and money made possible by the US sacrifice.

Very French of them.
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

P E A C E

war live on t.v is awesome , even better is that all the channels get filtered informations to make their countrys look like heros .
yeahhh , thats entertainment ... 30000 $$$ for a dead g.i. .
high tech weapons shot on friendly troops ... cool !!!
i cant wait to see when the first marines enter bagdad with air support ... smells like barbecue . and the costs ... now i know why they never lost a word about money in front .
but its not about money its about humanity .
roasted childs in the hospital , captured g.is , arrested anti war demonstrators , arabic worlds freakin out ... and i bet there are tons of surprises left .

GOD DAMN IT , ITS SO ****ED UP ...

they say jump you say how high fuuck
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

wow, all I can say is that we had better succed after all, I have seen the future if the US fails, and it isnt pretty..
Attached Thumbnails
another WAR 2003-pic10021.jpg  
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

lol steve

this would go even further of what i call nightmare
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey France, Suck on it! fuuck
Wanna bet ?fuuck heh

malice
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Ah, yes.

The US pays $75 billion plus the lives of its young people in Iraq and the French hope to just step in and snap up the reconstruction deals and money made possible by the US sacrifice.

Very French of them.
must be kidding, jon

it much more than that 75 billion is only the tip of the bill, if I may say so.
Total of the War cost is more like 500 billion $.

And the reconstruction deals will be decided by the new Iraqi democratic gvt, don't you thing ? You don't want U.S. to interfeer in a legal, peacefull and democratic gvt decisions, don't you ?

I'm sure they would choose US for the deals anyway, after all, you would be their "liberators" ...

malice
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

Before you flame me, what about a little poll :

Can you put theses things by order of importance, starting by the most important :

- God
- Your land (your country, in other words)
- Your freedom

I'll get back to you ...

malice
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Ah, yes.

Very French of them.
by the way, here is an article :

Quote:
Halliburton gets Iraq firefighting nod

March 25, 2003 | HOUSTON (AP) -- A unit of Houston-based oilfield services giant Halliburton Co. will organize the oil well firefighting and rehabilitation effort in Iraq just as it did after the 1991 Gulf War, officials said.

The value of the contract was not disclosed.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on Monday gave Kellogg Brown & Root the go-ahead to implement the Defense Department's plan to extinguish oil well fires in Iraq and repair the damage.

Halliburton was led by now-Vice President Dick Cheney before he resigned in 2000 to join the Republican presidential ticket.

Halliburton subcontractors Boots & Coots International Well Control Inc. and Wild Well Control Inc., both also from Houston, will handle the firefighting chores.

However, unease around the oil fields in the far southeastern corner of Iraq have delayed the beginning of work the last two days, officials said.

Halliburton oversaw the firefighting efforts on 320 wells in Kuwait after retreating Iraqi troops set fires in 1991. Firefighting companies extinguished 90 percent of the fires within a year, far ahead of the 18-month schedule.

The contract was initially disclosed at the end of a Defense Department statement on preparation for the possibility that Saddam Hussein's regime might destroy Iraq's oil fields in case of war with the U.S.-led coalition.

Analysts believe the wells may need significant work even if they aren't sabotaged. Daily production has slid from 3.5 million barrels per day in 1979 to about 2 million barrels per day, partly due to United Nations sanctions that banned import of equipment.

Iraq's proven oil reserves are second only to those of Saudi Arabia.

In trading Tuesday on the New York Stock Exchange, Halliburton shares rose 54 cents, 2.7 percent, to $20.66.
Further more, this company has build the Koweit city military camp, and will make the reconstruction of UmQsar port in Iraq.

Am I the only one who found that more disturbing than French proposition ?

Very G.W Bush of him, IMHO

malice
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by malice
Am I the only one who found that more disturbing than French proposition ?
What's disturbing is that American's are dying in the streets of Iraq, while the French are worried about post-war profits!

Pull your head outta your ass, frenchie - you really don't have a leg to stand on.

Have a fuuck day!
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

Is that all you can say about it Bassmac ?

You are insulting me, but you gave no explainations about some guy in YOUR gvt making profit for his own benefit during the war.

I don't believe it, US and UK gave chemical weapons to Saddam before the first Gulf War, but they claim French are assholes to sell a civil nuclear plant.

YOU decide to wipe him out as he still have the weapons YOU gave him.

Then French are assholes not to give you a hand cleaning up the mess YOU did.

You wanna give us a favor, do your ****ing homeworks before posting again fuuck

malice

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search