The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If downloading music is the problem.......
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

If downloading music is the problem.......

Then how do we explain 5 million Avril Lavigne albums sold in the US in the last 6 months?

1. New artist
2. Young consumer demographic most prone towards little cash in hand and big internet access

So either there is:

A. DVD content or visual packaging value to be gained by owning a legit copy or.....

B. People are very much willing to go plunk down the cash to buy a CD if they really like it and therefore want a clean, convenient copy of it NOW.

C. (Your idea goes here)

Seriously, how do you move 5 million units of a new artist selling to kids who live on the internet if the internet is the problem? Is it just a matter of making a good enough record?

Thoughts?

Regards,
Brian T
Old 4th February 2003
Cute pictures of her on the CD booklet perhaps?

She is more a teen hearthrob, less a cred colledge student with laptop & net access act.

Extra DVD footage... will it save us all??

Funnyly enough, some clients just turned up at my studio with cloned CDR copies of it for 'reference`... They were adults...

Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

It is a good pop record ( ok everyone, flame away), and contrary to popular belief, I think people still buy things when they think it is "worthy"

As a side note, I rarelyever carry orignal CD with me as a ref anymore, I leave too much stuff around, and when doing Live sound gigs, have had way too many CD's stolen.
Old 4th February 2003
Moderator emeritus

I have that record, and didn't see anything in the packaging to really make me think that it had 'added value'. I mean, the words were printed (in type too small for my old eyes to read) and there were some pictures, but that's nothing new. Besides, unlike many pop artists, you can actually understand the lyrics that Avril sings. I personally thought that there were some some problems with the record both from a songwriting and from a production viewpoint (many attributable to using 5 or 6 producer/co-writers using PT systems, many of whom simply fleshed out the original demos for the record), but it's not a bad record at all.

I suspect (as you do) that the whole downloading argument is a chimera - something easy to blame (at least, a lot easier than balming bad recordings of bad songs along with so many other ways for kids to spend their entertainment dollars).
Old 4th February 2003
When I told my assistant about this thread, he said, perhaps it's the record co's excuse for making sh!t records of late.

I kinda agree with him.
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
When I told my assistant about this thread, he said, perhaps it's the record co's excuse for making sh!t records of late.

I kinda agree with him.
Whats he won, Johnny? a neeeeewwwwww car!
IMHO, there is as much a valid reason to blame the internet for lagging sales as there is to invade IRAQ....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search