The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
d'oh! Theremin a Soviet spy toy!
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

d'oh! Theremin a Soviet spy toy!

Amazing show on Discovery channel about "Stealing Secrets", much of it related to audio espionage. One highlight; Mr. Theremin was a high level Soviet spy who was sent to USA by Lenin and Stalin to steal USA patent info while filing Theremin related documents at the Patent office!

Lenin was so amazed by his personal demo of the theremin that he learned to play music on it himself. Stalin sent Mr. Theremin to Siberia during the early purges, but later re-elevated Mr. Theremin to another high level intelligence position.

excellent!

as a general comment, I'm amazed we "won" the cold war. The Ruskies developed audio espionage devices that still seem impossible 50 years later. (totally passive, only active when hit with a 300mHz signal, undetected for years). The best USA could do was multi-million dollar Rube Goldberg type devices that did everything but play the James Bond theme in the background.

steve
[email protected]
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

I wonder if whoever came up with ADAT's is foreign to the states...
Old 29th December 2002
There is only one

i saw that show a while back... kinda sad about humanity.
Old 29th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

I don't know... I would pay money to see and hear Lenin playing theremin. Something profound and poetic about it.

Can't decide if the footage should go in a Woody Allen movie or a Ministry video. Both?
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

theremin & lenin

Unfortunately, the scene with Lenin playing the theremin is only a re-enactment. I doubt that any actual footage exists. And Stalin probably found the theremin only useful as a heavy, blunt object.

One other interesting topic in the series - a new microphone technique we all need to start using right away. No need to place microphones on bulky stands or run cables all over the live room. Just sit back in the control room on that nice couch we all have behind the console. Bounce a laser beam off of the control room window while the band is playing. Catch the reflected laser beam on a device that can detect the changes in the reflected beam due to vibrations in the window glass. Perfect audio reproduction in glorious mono. But only '60s era Hungarian lasers have the warm tone we're all after.....

steve
[email protected]
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

Interesting info...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search