The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em
Old 20th December 2002
High End Moderator

hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em

I frickin' hate those damn stickers on the side of CDs. Do they even serve a purpose or do they just want to piss us off? Now they put THREE of them on DVDs, WHY? and who is "they"?

dfegadstickers
Old 20th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

I think they have a thing in 'em that sounds the alarm if you 'forget' to pay for it at the counter. It might also have the sku # so the pimple-faced kid can zap the amount into the register.

Hope that helps

ps - How is it I have more posts than mwagener and still don't know shit? (Don't answer that! )
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Originally, there were to keep dust out. Now they help with SKU's and theift protection. Oasis Mastering gave me one of those snazzey key chain razor blade thingys. My life has been 5% easiler ever since.
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Here is a technique that makes those annoying stickers a non-issue. I think it was taught to me by Cup of the band i am spoonbender, while working on one of their records. She is a genius.

The sticker

First, pull the cover of the jewel case out of it's "hinge" with a fingernail.

Then, tilt-up the jewel-case cover, as the sticker becomes the hinge..

Then, using the jewel-case cover as a "handle", peel the sticker off the jewel case.

Finally, the sticker will come easily off the jewel-case cover...

Then, pop the cover back on the jewel case, and you're done.

-dave
Old 20th December 2002
Awesome 'how to' photo series!

Old 20th December 2002
High End Moderator

Thanx Dave, I tried that and of course with my 10 thumbed hands broke the CD case, but it is somewhat of a "workaround". Great post!
Old 20th December 2002
There is only one

funny. thats EXACTLY how i get the stickers off. i dont use my fingernail [since i bite them off anyway] but carefully grab the tab with my thumb/index fingers and lift the cover like the photos show.
Old 20th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

I've just been pulling on the case's doors until the damn thing opens all the way, regardless of what happens to the sticker. Then I sit down and listen to the CD while peeling off the shreds that stayed on.

Try it, it works!
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
... snazzey key chain razor blade thingys. My life has been 5% easiler ever since.
I got one from a sample CD company with my order last year.. I dont knw why record shops don't sell em, I think thay would make a killing.... maybe they think it would help the thieves....

ILIO was the co I got mine from I think..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear