The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone used Buzzaudio gear?
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Anyone used Buzzaudio gear?

New Buzz Products !

Looks interesting, just wondered if anyone has used these boxes, and how do they sound?
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
New Buzz Products !

Looks interesting, just wondered if anyone has used these boxes, and how do they sound?
I asked myself about that for almost two years
Hopefully it will materialize soon from the looooooong pipeline.........
Old 7th December 2007

hahahaha!

Yes, I admit it has been a very long pipeline indeed! But, good news, the REQ chassis parts are in production and I am hoping we can begin assembly late January 2008. The DCS will be soon after that (gotta watch the cash flow) but it's all designed and finished - ready to go.

Cheers
Tim.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

I have a SOC and a MA2 and they are really great pieces... Clean but great great vibe.

How much is the new eq gonna be?
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

god i want that EQ...
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Congrats Tim - I know it's been hard to keep it going
And I'm absolutely sure that stuff sounds friggin amazing

Jo
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks Tim,

Got your email as well. I am interested in the compressor in particular - love the flexible routing, and the fact that you can mix in the uncompressed signal. I often do this by splitting out tracks through the busses on the board and compressing one split and leaving the other natural, but it would be much cleaner and easier to do in the box, especially for tracking. Not to mention a shorter signal path.

Why the hell other compressor manufacturers don't do this is beyond me, it is a fantastic way to compress and still keep a natural, open sound.

BTW I will be over in NZ in a couple of weeks, up around Nelson. Better tell the trout to watch out
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Very serious looking units Tim they look superb and have great features. Can't wait to hear them.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Just got a Buzz Potion. Only arrived yesterday and I've not had much time with it yet but early impression are very good. Exceptionally well made and preliminary listening tests suggest that this will be a killer comp when I get to know it
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

FWIW the Buzz SOC1.1 has been my vocal tracking compressor since I got it 5 or 6 years ago. I have tried many times to oust it from that position, but it has seen off a CL1-A, an STC-8, and MC77, an 1176, a Germanium compressor and various others - all of which I still own and love, but for vocal tracking none of them quite match the Buzz.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Longtime MA 2.2 and MIA 1.1 owner here.

With the amount of new designs coming off Tim's bench, one can expect delays ramping up production.

I'm glad for Tim on the success of his previous designs, and if the new ones take longer to get to market, it'll be worth the wait!

Best,
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
I am hoping we can begin assembly late January 2008. The DCS will be soon after that Cheers
Tim.
Great news and good luck !
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Ya know what, I feel like a total dick for selling my Buzz SOC, because it's simple, I will be buying another one next year not because I want it, but because I actually need it, I replaced it with an api 2500, the api is great but it does not sound even remotely like the soc.

I still have a Buzz essence, elixir and a new tonic eq, the tonics sound very very good.

What I don't get about the new comp is it a stereo dual comp or do you need 2 units for stereo. I'm confused and its too early in the morning.
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Nut

The way I read it, the DCS is a mono device. I am also very interested and I want a pair. Tim could you give us a rough idea about what they might sell for?

Clifton
Old 8th December 2007
Gear Maniac

the new comp is mono but has two comps in one unit one fet .one opto and they have flexible routing including the ability to mix dry / wet[compressed ] signal .you can stereo link two units.
Tim told me he was intially thinking of building a stereo 4 u version but didn't think there would be much demand for it.

l have the ma2.2 pre and soc comp. sound great and good build quality.
Old 8th December 2007
500 series nutjob

i use buzz gear and i think it is awesome gear!!!!!!!!!
some times ( as with any manufacturer ), it just takes time to get items to market~
Old 8th December 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
god i want that EQ...
god i want that EQ.
god i want that EQ.
god i want that EQ.
god i want that EQ.
god i want that EQ.

god i want that EQ.
Old 8th December 2007
500 series nutjob

Tim
i could be your bastard child in need of adoption, is it cold over their? ~
heh
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
god i want that EQ.
god i want that EQ.
god i want that EQ.
god i want that EQ.
god i want that EQ.

god i want that EQ.
Old 8th December 2007
Gear Maniac

I tried the Buzz pre amp and it sucked big. We compared it in a very scientific test to a Symetrix 202 and the owner of the Buzz sent it back thinking it was defective. He got a new one a we tried it again and the Symetrix slayed it. Just another case of sucker products that don't sound as good as $200 ones.
Old 8th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddfar View Post
I tried the Buzz pre amp and it sucked big. We compared it in a very scientific test to a Symetrix 202 and the owner of the Buzz sent it back thinking it was defective. He got a new one a we tried it again and the Symetrix slayed it. Just another case of sucker products that don't sound as good as $200 ones.
Who is "WE"? If you're going to talk so negatively about a high quality product like Buzz Audio, it would nice to know you aren't a 15 year old kid or someone with an agenda trying to create trouble. Knowing the details of who and where and when this "scientific test" took place would go a long way to adding credibility to your opinion.
Old 8th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Who is "WE"? If you're going to talk so negatively about a high quality product like Buzz Audio, it would nice to know you aren't a 15 year old kid or someone with an agenda trying to create trouble. Knowing the details of who and where and when this "scientific test" took place would go a long way to adding credibility to your opinion.
Glad someone else said it first.....

Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Glad someone else said it first.....

Ditto...
Old 8th December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddfar View Post
Well I'm sorry to hear this. I have wasted my entire life. It just goes to show doesn't it, putting expensive WIMA film coupling capacitors and discrete differential transistor amplifiers in a mic preamp is just a waste of time when a couple of TL072 ic opamps and a bunch of 47uF electrolytics are gonna blow them away. Damn.

I'm gonna call all our users and tell them they have been ripped off, and recall all our preamps for modification. This of course I will do free of charge. All I need to do now is find out the secret of the $200 preamp....
Old 8th December 2007

For those asking about the price of the REQ and DCS, I will be able to provide this very soon, I'd rather give an aaccurate street price, not an estimate, just a few things to confirm this end before I can do this. Feel free to email me.

But rest assured, they are not cheap.

Thanks
Tim.
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
Why the hell other compressor manufacturers don't do this is beyond me, it is a fantastic way to compress and still keep a natural, open sound.
There are a few units that have had this feature for more than a few years now dude.
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Agreed!
Not liking a product is one thing but this kind post not only insults a great brand like Buzz but insults the numerous experienced professionals that CHOOSE to use Buzz gear.
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
There are a few units that have had this feature for more than a few years now dude.
Which ones? I can't think of one that has both FET, Opto, on board side chain eq shaping, daisy chaining in any order and a built in blend for ITB parallel compression.

I think it will be a superb product. Great for the well used 1176/LA2A vocal combo at probably half the price, and imagine a stereo pair smacking your drum buss. mmmm

Tim we need to get these bad boys available for demo over here in the UK dude!
Old 8th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc

Thanks Sam, yeah I have seen it, I guess what I meant is it is not exactly a "standard" feature on most compressors. I guess they would say that if you want parallel compression then do it OTB, but it would be nice to be able to do it ITB.
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

SOC / ma2.2 / essence / potion / elixir / MIA 1.0 user here.

Mark my words ... and you can quote me on it 30 - 40 years from now .... Tim's stuff is going to be the highly desired, very much wanted and very expensive vintage gear of the future. My yet to be conceived and born grandchildren are going to buy themselves a house after they sell it.

And you read it here first.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search