The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dreamhost is acting unreliable.
Old 24th November 2007
Lives for gear

Dreamhost is acting unreliable.

I got a Dreamhost account to host my websites on. I saw that Bre Pettis from Make Magazine was using it, and surely his blog gets more traffic than mine.

Well, over the past two days I've had nothing by mySQL errors. Their support keeps being fairly responsive, and fixing it, but then an hour or so later I check and boom... it's down again.

All I'm running is a forum (which has had about 30 views, and no posts asides from one from me yet) and a Wordpress site that gets on average about ~100 pageviews a day. I have WP-Caching installed, and can only hope that it's working. Still, no matter how you cut it, this isn't a high traffic site.

They claim 500gb/month in bandwidth, etc, etc... but it's all no good if you can't even run a basic database.

They moved my mySQL instance to another server, but guess what.... same thing!

This so makes me want to get an EC2 instance, but I really don't have time to monkey around with the EC2->S3 backup stuff in case an instance goes down, etc... Although I think one of the guys at my consulting firm got that figured out last week. Maybe I'll try to move to that and piggyback on there. At least then its scalable.

I'd bitch about this on my blog... but! of course, it's down!
Old 24th November 2007
Lives for gear

it's, by far, the least stable host i have ever used. Super cheap, though

it used to bug me, it doesn't anymore. As long as the mail goes through and I can see my page whenever I feel like it, all's well.

They have a status blog, you can bitch there if u like.
http://dreamhoststatus.com/
Old 24th November 2007
Lives for gear

It ends up that my wp-cache wasn't activated, but still. I barely get any traffic (maybe 100 hits a day... at most 300)? That shouldn't take down an SQL server, but I get the sense they put 1200 people on a single underpowered box.

Thinking of ways to hop on Amazon EC2/S3
Old 24th November 2007
Lives for gear

It's got nothing to do with you or your website. There's probably couple hundred accounts on your server, and couple hundred databases on the mysql server.

Check out webhostingtalk.com if you're thinking of switching.
Old 27th November 2007
depending on how the code is written it's easy for a sloppy forum to ping the server many times more than it needs to, which in turn effects all the other databases on the server. there are less responsive companies than dreamhost.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search