The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Musicians Friend Sucks!
Old 10th July 2008
Here for the gear

more MF woes...

oh man... i just got off the phone with MF about my own problem... NEVER using them again.

last week, i called and ordered a pair of the Mackie SRM 350 PA Speakers (refurbished) for 300 bucks each. gave the guy all of my info... credit card, email, addresses... everything. then today i called to confirm my order since i realized i never got an email from them. turns out they don't have a record of my order. apparently the idiot i talked to (who was slurring his speech and sounded a little drunk) never finished putting in my order!

soooo, i tried to make the order again, but they'd run out of the refurbished speakers and could only offer new ones for 400 a piece. i eventually talked them down to 350 for the new ones, but they couldn't do any better. 350 is still the lowest price i've seen for the Mackies so i had to go with them. i ended up talking to an "administrator" who persisted with the same offer... at one point i asked him if there was anyone else i could talk to. he said no...

so that puts me with my speakers a week later than i should have gotten them and with $100 less in my pocket... because THEY screwed up. $100 may not be much for some but it's a lot for a poor musician.

this is the last time i order from MF...

[ as a point of comparison i ordered a mixer from sweetwater last week and they accidentally sent the wrong one. talked to a sweetwater guy who apologized profusely and then offered to send the correct one along with a paid shipping tag to return the other one, no questions asked ]

Cliffs Notes:
boooo Musicians Friend
yaaay Sweetwater
Old 12th July 2008
Musicians Friend is kinda hard to take seriously compared to sweetwater.

it's obviously a temp at a call center.

I have always had relatively pleasant experiences with them but I do go to sweetwater if they have it.

And that auto-attendant needs to go.

Dial the 800 number, get a person. That's how to boost Customer Service and in turn sales and return sales

Last edited by donsolo; 12th July 2008 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: had more
Old 12th July 2008
Gear Maniac

I've had good experiences with Musician's Friend. It sounds like they're going through a rough patch.
Old 12th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHope View Post
I've had good experiences with Musician's Friend. It sounds like they're going through a rough patch.
You would say that, Mr. Hope!

All of the cool kids are bashing on Musicians Friend, why do you want to be different? Don't you want to be popular like us?

Where are you going?
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

I guess this explains why I'm still waiting for the EZ Drummer I ordered on the 4th of July. Not having something only one week later isn't exactly an outrage, but I've gotten used to receiving smaller orders from them right away, so I was beginning to wonder. Now I'll just keep my fingers crossed. That's what I get for saving $25 with a discount...
Old 14th July 2008
It'll get there but they are quickly becoming the guitar center of the catalogs.

You only order the semi-needed cables and whatnot because they just can't step up elsewhere.

My last order was for a bag of picks, a couple plugs and a mallet.
Old 15th July 2008
Here for the gear

a friend of mine purchase a bass amp through MF... No delays on the shipping, amp arrives, works fine. No power supply with it but that was an easily fixed problem. He has the amp for about two weeks, then it conchs out. So he sends it back and they agree to send him another one.

Here the problems start...

The site said the amp would be backordered for a week, but magically the day after he sends his back they get one in stock... They send him this amp which turns out to be the EXACT SAME AMP he had just sent in...

Still not working, still no power supply...

Needless to say he got his money back and ordered somewhere else...
Old 15th July 2008
Well, at least he got his money back?

I thought they were owned by the same holding company as guitar center...
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

I will never order from Musicians Friend EVER AGAIN!
These morons can't even ship a simple DVD within 2 weeks.
I call after 2 weeks.

me: "Where is my DVD?"

stoned customer dis-service agent: "It's still in our warehouse."

me: "Why?"

stoned customer dis-service agent: "It's the holidays"

me: "You have to be kidding me!!!!! Give me my money back please."

After being put on hold....
stoned customer dis-service agent: "It has shipped. If you don't get it in 1-2 weeks call us back"

me: "You people are morons! I will take this up with my credit card company & get my money back."

NO ONE SHOULD EVER ORDER FROM THESE FOOLS!!!!!!

I went through MF (I mean these MF'ers) to SAVE MYSELF SOME TIME! Not to spend 1 hr on the phone sorting this mess out. I could have run to Sam Ash or Guitar Center in that time and picked up there.

PLEASE save yourself some time and NEVER USE THESE IDIOTS!

Thanks for letting me rant.
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematographer View Post
apparently the idiot i talked to (who was slurring his speech and sounded a little drunk)
I see a trend!tuttdfegad
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

"We're actually pretty emotionally upset that customers had delays"

Doubtful.
Your emotionally upset when you catch your wife in bed with another man or your dog chewed the neck off of your Strat. Your emotionally upset when you format a drive with a 5 song mix for a client and you did not back it up. Your emotionally upset when you fall for the neighborhood kids burning bag of **** gag on your front porch. The only thing getting you guys emotionally upset is this thread.
Old 9th December 2008
Gear Nut

I will never deal with Musician's Friend. For me Sweetwater is the only way to go. The Sales Engineers there are empowered to do everything possible to make it right without having to move up the chain. I know, I used to work there. I went through the entire 13-week training. Found out I was good technically, but hated sales. It is not just a call center like all the others. It has to be seen to be believed. If management sees that you did not go out of your way for a customer or mislead a customer just to make a little extra on the sale, you are out of there so fast. Anyway, never had a problem there and I know I never will.
Old 3rd November 2009
Here for the gear

Opps I did it again

About 5 yrs ago I ordered a high end hard to find guitar wiated 8 months and ended up cancelling the order. was really ticked off and said "Never again". So I had a relaps of common sense a month ago and ordeed a low end cheap guitar. Even bought a case to ship it in, I thought, So a few days later a big box in the driveway and I got my guitar case. No guitar.
You see i was looking for a guitar and then on thier site it said available. i spoke with the sales lady she gave one hell of a deal and thought they would be avialable in a week at least. well i called today and was informed that they have been back ordered. I called fender and asked why they don't tell these merchants that they have no supply of the items. he told me that they inform the merchants of all the details. so who line is it or what. yeah I beat the price and the tax and shipping by buying it from these guys but next time i'll get from the Mom&pop local store. just blowing off steam.......
Old 4th November 2009
Lives for gear

I've ordered a lot from Musicians Friend, never had an issue, great to deal with for me. I consider them a friend, ha ha.
Old 27th January 2010
Lives for gear

Okay... new complaint: I ordered an empty SSL X-Rack with six blanks on Christmas day. I think that was the last day for a 15% off code I had. I'd heard SSL prices were going up, so it was kind of an impulse buy. In other words, I didn't shop around.

Oh, and I stupidly did the PP checkout thing going to a CC, so it went on my card right away. Alright, no huge problem here. They tell me it's backordered, but assure me that they're getting one for me... later more backorder notices.

When I spoke with them, they told me they would not cancel the order, unless I wanted them to. Well, I just got a notice that the order was cancelled! They've done this to me before, too. I'll speak to them later, but they do suck, IMO!

Old 5th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Power of gearslutz, I just emailed them about this thread.

You guys do know that there are supporters of Gearslutz that you can buy from. Nothing against MF, but I like to keep it in the family. thumbsup

Warren from Front End Audio comes to mind.

Glenn
run from MF and go to FEA, ZEN or Mercenary. Alan @FEA has been incredible to work with and yesterday, One of the guys from Mercenary actually offered to personally meet me in Boston @ the Bruins game with a piece of gear I needed ASAP.
Old 9th March 2014
Here for the gear

I can share most recent MF experience of having a software plugin mysteriously (as in I didn't select it) added to my order. Notified them as soon as I got the order conformation e-mail listing the item I did not select/order. MF can't explain how it happened nor how I was e-mailed a download link so fast. Now it's been a tap dance trying to get a credit. Not a lot of dollars but it is concerning that things like this can happen. It is only when things don't go as expected when customer service, or lack thereof, show the true value of a company.
Old 10th March 2014
They (MF) shipped me a ribbon microphone that was suppose to be new. The mic box inside the shipping box was opened when I got it. The microphone was full of finger prints and was not in its protective plastic baggie. The baggie was just squashed into the box. Someone had attempted to take the microphone apart and had not gotten it back together again correctly. I called MF and they said to ship it back. I took it to my local GC and they took care of it for me. I have ordered other things from them and had no problems but this was not the kind of service I expected from them. It was around the time that they were moving...nuff said!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simman View Post
I can share most recent MF experience of having a software plugin mysteriously (as in I didn't select it) added to my order. Notified them as soon as I got the order conformation e-mail listing the item I did not select/order. MF can't explain how it happened nor how I was e-mailed a download link so fast. Now it's been a tap dance trying to get a credit. Not a lot of dollars but it is concerning that things like this can happen. It is only when things don't go as expected when customer service, or lack thereof, show the true value of a company.
Thats some shady stuff right there. Any time a company has to fraudulently take money out of your pocket thats beyond a red flag.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search