The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Daddy's Junky Muisc... ugh. Morons
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Daddy's Junky Muisc... ugh. Morons

I really dislike Guitar Center, but I do have to admit that there are at times amazing amazing deals to be had there, which is why I sometimes frequent them.

I now live within spitting distance of the Daddy's Junky Music in Boston. Yes, the name alone should tell you "NEVER ENTER THIS STORE!". But I entered anyway tonight to kill some time.

First of all, I find the store to be mildly insulting and offensive. If I am carrying a bottle of water (closed) and/or any bad of any sort (laptop bags or camera bags included) I have to leave them at the front. Yea, yea, yea, theft... but that's just annoying. Maybe it's that I grew up in North Carolina and NEVER checked a single bag in a single music store ever.

Secondly, I understand holding firm to your prices if you offer amazing gear and amazing prices with amazing service. They offer none of the above. Example, there was a ****ty and beat up Squier Strat in there for $300 tonight. It had stickers all over it and looked like hell. If I ran a guitar store I wouldn't allow that thing to enter the front door, let alone hang on the wall- or charge that outragous price. I've paid $300 for several American Strats and Teles in perfect condition. Maybe I'm too used to a decent deal.

Oh, an even greater insult. For whatever reason one day I tried out some guitar pedal that wasn't just a crap boss pedal. I can't remember what it was. I think it was the Moog Murf. They asked to hold onto my ID. WTF?!?!?!? If I were to go down to Brockton Guitar Works or some other place and they asked to hold my ID I'd tell them to **** themselves for not trusting me a bit more. They were acting like the Murf was the most expensive guitar pedal in the world.

Their sales staff always gives me smart remarks about things. I asked if they had some other model of a keyboard that was on the floor. He said, "All of our keyboards are on the floor, we don't keep anything hidden or locked away." to make me seem stupid for asking.

I said, "Well except your Moog Little Phatty and your TB-303". The guy looked at me with a blank stare. They have each locked in a glass case up front. For some reason they assume that the Little Phatty is some gold of a keyboard that can't be touched by mortal hands. Umm, it's a modern day Moog Source. It's a cheap keyboard as most analogues go. WTF?

But what REALLY pissed me off tonight was this. I was just walking through really quicky and killing a few minutes. I always keep out some weird remote hope that I'd actually see something interesting in there that I would want to buy. I spotted a little Fender Blues Junior amp. It was tagged at $259. Ok, whatever. Always looking for little amps to modify, take apart, etc.. I plug in and play it (which I do with the thinnest Hosa cable I've ever seen as that's all they will give you to test out anything in that store). The amp is banged up, you can barely see the lettering on the top panel. The main thing however is, the reverb tank is busted. I look in the back and see a spring literally sticking to the side of the speaker. I would probably be able to fix/replace the tank, but it would take me a little bit of time, and potentially money.

I go to ask the salesman about the amp. He tells me to "grab the tag" for it, as he's too busy to even try to offer customer service. He checks in the system and says, "Nope, sorry, even though the amp's reverb tank is dead I can't do any better than that on the price".

He wasn't even aware that the reverb tank was broken prior to me telling him, and they were still standing by their overly high price for a broken amp.

For whatever reason this pissed me off. Maybe it was just their overly high prices in general- they tried to sell me a DX7 a year ago for $400, and it was beat up. Maybe it's the fact that they are the opposite of the sale sharks at GC and just don't even try. Not even to the degree of offering poor/bad advice. And maybe it's just that he didn't even seem to care that a piece of gear on the floor was broken and anyone smart wouldn't buy it.

I guess their goal is just to wait until some poor sucker buys it and just can't figure out what this "reverb" knob does (or doesn't do).

Whatever, it just thought that it's fair to show that it's not just GC that can offer ****ty service and occasionally ****ty prices. Small regional chains can do it to. At guitar center, at least i know they'd have *****d the amp out just to get it off the floor and get some GS under their belt.
Old 12th September 2007
Sorry to hear about the lousy service and products. Unfortunately, I too have had bad experience with high dollar, well known major retailers here in Indiana. I purchased new JBL monitors, shipping out of their warehouse only to find one of them did not work. I contacted them and they would not!! refund, fix or exchange them. After two years of running back and forth to the speaker repair shop I finally got them fixed. I will no longer do business with that company. But all that to say this, at least Guitar Center has a 30 return policy no questions asked.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

I know that store well, I lived on Edgerly Rd for a couple years.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

GC is like a dumb girl that is oh so pretty.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I was just at Hampton beach on Vacation and went to the DJM in Portsmouth. I thought it was a pretty cool store, with a decent selection of gear. The prices didn't blow me away, but if there was nothing else around, I'd probably mail order or hit GC.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
I was just at Hampton beach on Vacation and went to the DJM in Portsmouth. I thought it was a pretty cool store, with a decent selection of gear. The prices didn't blow me away, but if there was nothing else around, I'd probably mail order or hit GC.
One of my friends (my boss actually at my 'main' job) was joking around that "Oh there's probably a ton of stuff in there you want to buy" (concerning Daddy's) and I was like... "Nope, doesn't even tempt me generally".

No microphones, preamps, comps, eqs, monitors, or outboard that I've even consider touching generally asides from an SM57 are in there. Now if he was talking about Parson's Audio or Mercenary Audio... that's a different story. I'd take two of everything then.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
Vacation at Hampton Beach? i got a chuckle out of that.... just because i'm somewhat local to it.... but the DJM in Portsmouth is right near my studio so i get my drumheads and guitar strings there...

but all aside, Daddies DOES have pretty good service. i've had a couple of my guitar heads serviced there. they did a fine job (tubes/caps replaced)... i dont really know how you could botch it. but either way. plus, if you get one of their newbies, you can usually work them down. my Girlfriend got me a Mesa 4X12 cabinet for something STUPID like 250 WITH a 1 FULL warranty.... wich was like 300 off their asking price.... because she kept complaining about the minor discoloring on the tolex. i think he got fired for it, because i haevn't seen him since.

all in all, i'd rather take Daddies that GC... at least they're a more local company.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I could be wrong, but perhaps the DJM at Berklee has some different policies or whatever than some of the other stores. I've talked to employees there outside of work, and they don't seem to have the power to just price things as they wish (as GC employees can do)

They are just generally weird about stuff in there, and I've never heard of anyone getting a good price on anything in there. At guitar center however there's some sick deals to be had. In the past I've seen stuff like a Blue Robbie going for $50, or a Urei 1176 for $500. Just sick.

Daddy's at Berklee used to be a little different i think. They used to have Protools (TDM/HD) systems set up in there, decent synths, and better stuff overall. Then they rearranged/rebuilt the store and it went downhill even more. Maybe since it's by Berklee they figure, "keep the prices steady, and someone eventually will buy it".

I wouldn't let one of the guys there near my amp to recap it if he was the last person on earth with a soldering iron.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsLaneRec. View Post
Vacation at Hampton Beach? i got a chuckle out of that.... just because i'm somewhat local to it.... but the DJM in Portsmouth is right near my studio so i get my drumheads and guitar strings there...

but all aside, Daddies DOES have pretty good service. i've had a couple of my guitar heads serviced there. they did a fine job (tubes/caps replaced)... i dont really know how you could botch it. but either way. plus, if you get one of their newbies, you can usually work them down. my Girlfriend got me a Mesa 4X12 cabinet for something STUPID like 250 WITH a 1 FULL warranty.... wich was like 300 off their asking price.... because she kept complaining about the minor discoloring on the tolex. i think he got fired for it, because i haevn't seen him since.

all in all, i'd rather take Daddies that GC... at least they're a more local company.
I should've posted earlier, I was hopeing to have some gear fun.....All i saw was a Used 6505 for 900$, Silverburst and a few 57's.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear
I used to love the DJM in West Hartford, CT. Last time I was there was in 2001 though.
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
I could be wrong, but perhaps the DJM at Berklee has some different policies or whatever than some of the other stores. I've talked to employees there outside of work, and they don't seem to have the power to just price things as they wish (as GC employees can do)

They are just generally weird about stuff in there, and I've never heard of anyone getting a good price on anything in there. At guitar center however there's some sick deals to be had. In the past I've seen stuff like a Blue Robbie going for $50, or a Urei 1176 for $500. Just sick.

Daddy's at Berklee used to be a little different i think. They used to have Protools (TDM/HD) systems set up in there, decent synths, and better stuff overall. Then they rearranged/rebuilt the store and it went downhill even more. Maybe since it's by Berklee they figure, "keep the prices steady, and someone eventually will buy it".

I wouldn't let one of the guys there near my amp to recap it if he was the last person on earth with a soldering iron.
it's not the guys there that service your amps, etc... they ship it off to have it done... the did a great job at a pretty fair price.... but you're right, i wouln't let one of those "Ronny Z from Pro Audio" guys near my stuff.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsLaneRec. View Post
it's not the guys there that service your amps, etc... they ship it off to have it done... the did a great job at a pretty fair price.... but you're right, i wouln't let one of those "Ronny Z from Pro Audio" guys near my stuff.
Ah. I've got a guy in Winchester, MA that I have found to be solid for amp work.
Old 15th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
most music stores typically pay 1/2 of the retail price on most of the gear they sell.. even less on strings, picks and other expendable products
that means they have up to 50% of the retail price to "bargain' with. sometimes more, sometimes less.
Thats the way it was when I worked in a music store anyhow... years ago

Jewing the pricks down is 1/2 the fun of dealing with retailers
Jewsus Christ... let's try to keep the ambiguous-semitic comments out of the music.
if anything... jewing a prick might be a crude way to talk about circumcision, but i digress.

i don't think the margins are quite that high... at least not for low and mid end products. you might be able to get such margin on some of the low-volume high end products, but that's just the way it works.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
wasn't even thinking semmeticaly.. just an expression... didn't intend to hurt any sentiments.
That was the margin when I worked in a music store.... this is why used stores typicaly offer 1/2 of what they think they can sell an item for.. and 40% off is the magic figure most often when buying new...
most stores are willing to take a 10% return on their investments.... even more take their new gear consigned.. and are happy just to earn 10% off of the sale.

But what do I know.. I haven't worked in retail in at least 15 years
I know when I worked at GC that stuff like strings would be around 2-3USD/pack, and we'd sell them for 6-9/pack. It still pains me when I go elsewhere to realize how high strings have gotten (not really that high, just inflation).

And when it comes to used gear.... oh man. If you bring in an American Fender Strat... which might retail for a grand, the store will give you $300ish for it (maybe $400 in trade-in credit) and shelf it for 800. If you know the manager at a GC really well, make better friends with him, and get him to sell you one for $300. It's not a bad way to go
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I also went to the Daddy's across the street from Berklee to kill some time and wow... that place is something else. Besides having crappy gear the customer service was not so good. I was in the Keys/Bass section and a sales guy came in and yelled "Ok who needs Help?!" in the most I hate my job / I'm better then you kind of way Haha. It was priceless. Btw, I do love the huge Elvis head that covers the stairway up to the second floor.

I work at GC Boston and we do sometimes have some over the top amazing deals.. I've scored some nice gear but i'm still waiting for the $50 Pultec or $100 1073.
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Addict

Funny, I bought a mint Juno 60 for $124.99 from that very Daddy's... Oh ya, that was in 1992. Oh well, still use and make money with it today.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search