The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avril Lavigne's "when you're gone"
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Avril Lavigne's "when you're gone"

While I'm generally not a pop fan, I can normally understand why people like pop songs. Most of the time when I hear Avril Lavigne songs and see her videos I can see why she/her songs are popular.

This song is not one of those times. For a while I thought it was just a bad choice for her. I thought someone like Michelle Branch would have done it better.

Well, I've heard it a few times now and it is just a horribly written and horribly sung pop song. The video is also the first video I've seen of hers that makes her look un-attractive.

It seems like her and her producers were trying to prove something and it just completely backfired.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Butch Walker produced this song i think he did a fine job. You can blame him for it.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Why does she sing with that forced nasal accent thing? So annoying...
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv View Post
Why does she sing with that forced nasal accent thing? So annoying...
That's the way female pop singers are trained to sing these days. And then they are recorded so as to capture every last bit of breath, lip noise, and sibilance. I absolutely hate it. I call it "gerbils in heat". I guess it's supposed to make the singer sound like she is sexually aroused, but what it winds up sounding like instead is that she's from Brooklyn, has a really bad head cold, and just got finished chain-smoking two packs of Camels.

If Annie Haslam were dead, she'd be spinning in her grave.
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornutt View Post
That's the way female pop singers are trained to sing these days. I guess it's supposed to make the singer sound like she is sexually aroused, .
That's the point.
In the past two years I have heard more A&R/record people wanting things to sound 'sexy'

I suppose this translates into $$$$$$
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

I disagree totally.

Love the song, love the production, love the video.

(But I am a pop-slut )
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

With the composition there is nothing wrong.
But it is the way they have, and her singing in particular, recorded it.
I must say that she sings the song better live than it is recorded.
The AOL session she did ended with this song and I was really surprised.
But when I heard the recorded studio version I found they realy messed things up.
You see the problem is that someone made her sing it like a child that sings her first notes from a score sheet.
It has not the free sound that the AOL version has.
I can't believe a decend engineer could pass this mix.
It must have been the record company that pushes to get the song ready for a certain deadline.
And yep there goes the quallity,
Take your time next time.

Paul
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Head

I take that back. I just listened to the song. It doesn't sound sexy. I do hear the Brooklyn '2 packs of Camels' sound. I think it sounds awful but I think all her music does. The kids however, seem to like it so I guess that's all that matters.

I didn't realize she smoked so heavily.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search