The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apple took 3 weeks to repair my new macbook pro
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Apple took 3 weeks to repair my new macbook pro

actually, it will be almost 4 weeks when the replacement arrives. my macbook pro is about 4 months old and it started crashing about a month ago. . ive been using apple for the last 20 years and never had a problem but this is ridiculous. they blamed it on miscommunication with the people who make their parts.... as if that is an excuse. right off the bat, i told them they were costing me money (i lost a tv job) and that this is for business and they refused to give me a replacement or a new computer. finally, only because i called them repeatedly and demanded to speak to a supervisor, did they offer me a replacement a few days ago. As it turned out, my computer needed a new logic board, which was on a 2-3 week backorder....no one told me this in the beginning...their repair policy is supposed to be a 7-10 business day turnaround. did any one call me on the 10th day? nope. i called them. at each step of the way, they did not call me when they said they were going to call me. when i did, i realized immediately that the people i was talking with did not know what was really going on with my computer..."oh, it looks like they're waiting on another part"...next person - "oh yea, do you have a problem with your optical drive?...someone was supposed to ask you that because the repair tech thought there might be a problem with it...if you don't, we can move this along"... "go to the soho apple store and tell them this is for business, maybe you can work something out with a replacement or a loan"...when i got there, the people at the store said they didn't know why someone would have told me that. long story short, their was an unbelievable amount of miscommunication between the people i spoke with at applecare, the people at the apple store, and the people they were speaking to in repair. if you have a problem, demand a new computer right away...or at least call them like crazy because in this experience, apple kept me out of the loop and has yet to apologize or offer me anything in return.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

I've had bad problems with dealing when Apple for repairs. Luckily I have an authorised Apple reseller and repair center just round the corner now and they carry out work very quickly, and if your machine is still in warranty it doesnt cost a thing.

Before I found this place however, I had a display go down on my iBook G4 about 4 months after purchasing it, new, from an Apple Store. 'No problem', I thought, 'a pain in the ass, but I'm sure Apple will sort this out....

WRONG....

They refused to accept this as a warranty repair and had the audacity to quote me almost £500 to replace the display Considering the machine cost a little over £700 I felt somewhat angry at the prospect of forking out this amount of money. Luckily the extortionate repair quote was enough for my insurance company to 'write off' my laptop and I recieved a cheque to cover a replacement machine a few weeks later.

I later found a company in London during my travels which offered to replace the display on my faulty iBook for just over £200 including labour, which I did of course, and now I have two iBooks, one for work and one for play.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticmaniac View Post
I've had bad problems with dealing when Apple for repairs. Luckily I have an authorised Apple reseller and repair center just round the corner now and they carry out work very quickly, and if your machine is still in warranty it doesnt cost a thing.

Before I found this place however, I had a display go down on my iBook G4 about 4 months after purchasing it, new, from an Apple Store. 'No problem', I thought, 'a pain in the ass, but I'm sure Apple will sort this out....

WRONG....

They refused to accept this as a warranty repair and had the audacity to quote me almost £500 to replace the display Considering the machine cost a little over £700 I felt somewhat angry at the prospect of forking out this amount of money. Luckily the extortionate repair quote was enough for my insurance company to 'write off' my laptop and I recieved a cheque to cover a replacement machine a few weeks later.

I later found a company in London during my travels which offered to replace the display on my faulty iBook for just over £200 including labour, which I did of course, and now I have two iBooks, one for work and one for play.

They refused to honor the warranty? wow I would say a display going out would be included under the warranty. I've had my issue with Apple in the past too.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Man, this is fertile ground for a Mac vs PC smackdown. But I shall contain myself.

-Rich
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just had a system drive replaced by Apple under Applecare.
Got it in 2 days.
Based on my past experience ...
It seems easier to get repairs out of a 3rd party store in a smaller city rather than a Apple store in a larger city. I have been very lucky and have only one bad service issue (not Apple's fault, dealer issue) since using a Mac for the past 21 years.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search