The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Los Angeles DWP!!!! Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

Los Angeles DWP!!!!

Hey everyone! I've not posted a lot but been lurking around while printing stems for a few years now.....but I have a real MOAN here!!

I don't know if this is just a LA problem or if the rest of you are getting screwed by your local power company's but I've had 2 huge power black outs in the last 3 day's both that lasted more than 12 hours!!!!! Also, my power conditioner/regulator is telling me I have 85 volts coming from LA DWP.... Is there a law concerning what the power company has to provide it's customers? I'm in the middle of mixing a 17 song album and the artist has a flight booked next Monday to England. Needless to say we are behind and this sucksssss.

Anyways, back to mixing and crossing my fingers just needed to vent....

DT
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Similar problem here- Burbank/Noho area. The Monster power unit next door dipped below 70 as soon as the AC kicked in. It killed my deadline today. If I owned the property, I'd be solar without a doubt.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

While I don't have that problem right now, I've had numerous problems with the DWP over the years (In west LA). I've called them a number of times to complain about low voltage and they have always blown me off. Usually, the operator says something to the effect of "well nobody else has called to complain from your area." *IF* they send somebody out to examine, it is usually hours later and the voltage has returned to normal. I've invested in Furmans and APC UPS systems for my rigs here and haven't looked back.

Still makes it tough to work on the really bad days, though... I feel your pain.

-Ben
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Here in the west valley we've had a number of brownout type conditions that have lasted a while, as well as short sudden dips. But fortunately no power outages.

It's a lot cooler this morning, so hopefully the worst is behind us.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well, there's no blackouts here, but here in Maryland, BGE (Baltimore Gas and Electric) just DOUBLED their rates. Apparently there was some kind of rate cap that had been in place for over a decade or two that just expired, so they decided to screw us all. My electricity bill for my townhouse went from $140 to $300 two months ago. I've also started shutting off all gear at the studio at the end of the day.

dfegadBGE
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Forgot to put in my first post- what is even more of a problem with DWP is the high voltage coming in. It is rarely less than 5 volts over. Has been more than 15 for an hour or more in the past. Once, this prolonged over blew up a Furman here (before I upgraded to a better one- a PL-Pro- turned many parts inside into charcoal). Another blowoff by DWP "customer service" when I called it in...

--Ben
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Glad to know I'm not the only one having to deal with this BS! It's been 2 days with out a drop out so I think I'm in the clear...DWP put a beefed up mobile transformer down the street from my studio so I guess my long list of phone calls finally made them do something. They are also sending me a low voltage complaint sheet/form for me to fill out!!!! My Monster 2000 is almost always boosting the in coming AC by 10-15volts and sometimes as much as 25-30volts when it's about to blow... Also, a in coming AC spike blew the first one I had back in January and Monster had to replace it. Anyways, back to work I go no time for slacking never know when the next black out is going to hit. Good luck everyone!

DT
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm dying. This problem obviously isn't going away anytime soon for me...

Ideas? UPS backup? Generator?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search