The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm done trying to build speakers.... Studio Headphones
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear
I'm done trying to build speakers....

I just finished my second pair of "custom" monitors.... both pair were built using existing MDF enclosures from older speakers. The first pair were 3-way mid-fields... I pretty much just bought new drivers (all matched to each other), retrofitted the front baffle for the new driver configuration, bought a premade crossover, and prettied up the exterior of the boxes. They sounded good, but way too much 1.2K. So I used a 1/3 oct. graphic to tune them up, and now they sound great. In fact, I use them more than anything else. So then I thought I could build some nearfields with better success....

Used the boxes from some old Sony bookshelves, added a rear port, got new drivers, and premade crossovers from PartsExpress.com, all perfectly matched. They sound terrible. Way worse than my 3-ways did originally. I mean, the Sony bookshelves were far worse than these new beasts... at the very least the new ones have some definition and decent dynamic response (the original Sony's were almost a wall of undefined midrange). Now I'm gonna try to EQ them a little like I did the other ones, but I'm bummed.

I realize I'm using imperfect enclosures, I haven't done the necessary math required, and I'm more or less just slapping these things together. But it's quite clear that unless I put way more time and effort into my next pair, I might as well not even try.

So the lesson here is: Unless you want to really do your homework and calculate everything precisely, don't even try to build your own loudspeakers. It's not worth the pain in the ass to end up with mediocre speakers that need to be EQed to be usefull.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
I realize I'm using imperfect enclosures, I haven't done the necessary math required, and I'm more or less just slapping these things together. But it's quite clear that unless I put way more time and effort into my next pair, I might as well not even try.

So the lesson here is: Unless you want to really do your homework and calculate everything precisely, don't even try to build your own loudspeakers. It's not worth the pain in the ass to end up with mediocre speakers that need to be EQed to be usefull.
Don't give up man. You've done some experiments and have accumulated priceless hands-on experience. Take a breather for a while then come back at it with a fresh perspective. Do the math and build them speakers.

Rome wasn't built in a day and all that jazz...thumbsup
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
I realize I'm using imperfect enclosures, I haven't done the necessary math required, and I'm more or less just slapping these things together.
Then be satisfied that you've gotten the results you have. With speaker design, you get out of it what you put into it. You can't put a minimal amount of effort in and think you'll get a great result.

Not trying to rag you, just saying that's the way it is.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear
Well, I just spent about 45 minutes listening to them, going back and forth between my other 2 pairs, and I'm a little less bummed. I think I can tune these up pretty good and make them a good compliment to my other monitors.

And I don't mind having to EQ them... I actually liked having my mid-fields on a graph because it makes me infinitely familiar with their response.

I guess between the price of the components and the EQ, I'll get a better pair of monitors than any other pair I could get in that price range. So all is not lost.

But it will be awhile before I try this again. I just don't have the time to do it right.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

You might have better luck using a crossover calc on the internets and buying the parts as opposed to getting a pre-made crossover. You really wanna match the xover to each driver. Look up a zobel filter too!.

good luck.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckpunk View Post
You might have better luck using a crossover calc on the internets and buying the parts as opposed to getting a pre-made crossover. You really wanna match the xover to each driver. Look up a zobel filter too!.

good luck.
This crossover is well matched. 2nd order L/R, crossed at 3K. The low end driver goes up to 4K and the tweeter goes down to 2K. It's the enclosure that's the biggest problem. Maybe an L pad on the tweeter would help. Theres a lot of 5K going on.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search