The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mixing my own record...
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

mixing my own record...

I have a pretty good sense of knowing when a mix is "done" and the vibe is right when I am working on someone else's project, but it is REALLY hard to have the perspective on my own stuff. I find myself making these really conservative, vanilla mixes, and then going through countless revisions which probably don't make a bit of difference to anyone else. Sometimes listening in the car or with other people in the room helps, but sometimes I just get stuck.

Can anybody suggest some tricks/ techniques to help me pull my head out?
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

High quality herb usually does it for me.

I use to have this problem, it took years and many songs to get over. My turning point was when I stopped listening to the mix and concentrated more on the parts, arrangement, performances,etc..Not the mix at all.

As an engineer, sonics and placement is second nature. I don't even think about it anymore. When everything else is in place, its an easy mix.

And if you are really having an issue, get someone else to mix it. Goes back to the above; if all your tracks are all in place, does'nt matter if you mix it or not, its mixed already. Just some detail work and its done.

THis has really worked for me. thumbsup
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
I have a pretty good sense of knowing when a mix is "done" and the vibe is right when I am working on someone else's project, but it is REALLY hard to have the perspective on my own stuff. I find myself making these really conservative, vanilla mixes, and then going through countless revisions which probably don't make a bit of difference to anyone else. Sometimes listening in the car or with other people in the room helps, but sometimes I just get stuck.

Can anybody suggest some tricks/ techniques to help me pull my head out?
Think in the third person whilst mixing, i.e. adjust the level of 'the guitar' or 'the keyboard player', add reverb to 'him' or 'the singer' not 'yourself'. That way you depersonalise the project and it becomes more like someone elses.
Old 4th September 2007
frequent breaks....and when you think something is done, leave it for a day or so (if possible) and come back to it.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

hi
are you itb or otb ... just curious.
really great advice given here. id say get your workable vanilla mix tweeked
and printed , then start from scratch with a new wild mindset, trying
to really go for the gut emotion , blow stuff up, and work quiclkly.
you still have the original mix , so whats the harm? this has helped me mentally
in allowing me to not mix cautiously and slowly. this is the one thing about itb that is for me the most challenging at times - that instantly grabbing this and that with the entire mix in front of you. another thing that"s been helpful, is when i first am getting the mix to just quickly jump and balance out - if it feels good and im enjoying it , i'll print that mix just for the food for thought aspect of it , even though i know i have tons of carving to do. i will sometimes listen to that ruff 10 hours later. also printing ruffs throughout is a good thing at each 3 hour stage maybe or when it feels like its stepped up again. i also take tons of long breaks. ok - my 2 cents.
best success.

s
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

i mix all of my groups tracks and the problem i find is i subconciously want to push my vocals back in the mix.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search