The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ENOUGH with the Pultec faceplates!!! Equalisers (HW)
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

ENOUGH with the Pultec faceplates!!!

There's a ton of manufacturers that make products that look just like Pultec's that when asked say, "Oh...it was never meant to be a Pultec clone". The latest one I found was the Fearn VT4 (which I'm sure rules!), but he's quoted as saying, "it's a "clean sheet of paper" design." Then there's the Manley controversy. At least they don't look like Pultec's (even though those are CALLED Pultecs). Then there's the Amtec's which when prodded (on the GS forum) said that they aren't intended to be Pultec clones.

I gotta give props to Great River (I never heard their EQ), even though their EQ2NV is based on a Neve...it looks nothing like one. Very brave of them.

Um. OK...I think I'm done.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

I agree.

I'm a pro, for c's sake.

If you want to trigger my nostalgia, give me the real goods not just the apperance. It justs makes me angry when it turns out I'm let down.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

They all are on the Pultec bandwagon but perhaps the reason they do not say they are 'Pultec clones' is due to perhaps invoking the wrath of a certain party that says they have the exclusive rights to the name'.....?

Go figure....
Old 2nd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
"Oh...it was never meant to be a Pultec clone". The latest one I found was the Fearn VT4 (which I'm sure rules!), but he's quoted as saying, "it's a "clean sheet of paper" design."
Show me a Pultec that is fire engine red with gold umber lettering and I'll agree that Doug Fearn copied it.

Big knobs? Sure. Doug's been doing that since the beginning.

Big faceplate? Granted. Again, that goes all the way back.

Boost, Cut, Boost? That's similar to a Pultec.

Tubes? Again, very similar, but I don't think Pultec had the market cornered on tube design.

I'll admit that I thought Doug's EQ was a Pultec clone when I first saw it, but that was primarily because of the boost, cut, boost arrangement and the tubes. You can read my take on it here.

http://www.eqmag.com/article/a-tale-two/Jun-05/10522
Old 2nd September 2007
I think we can all agree that, when deciding on what makes a GOOD or BAD clone,

we can all just use our ears and not our eyes for evaluation purposes,

will anyone agree?

What does it sound like, is the question,

peace
mixwell
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
The latest one I found was the Fearn VT4 (which I'm sure rules!), but he's quoted as saying, "it's a "clean sheet of paper" design.
Dude! Apparently you havn't heard the Fearn 's . After you do so, you will probably apologize as these eqs are unreaaaal!
Plus, Fearn is the only guy i know who offers 5 years warranty on his equipment, and whether you buy them new or used
he will check them for free to make sure they are properly calibrated.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search