The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boring Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 31st August 2007
  #31
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post
Not really. Sampler-wise: Some people use the MPC 2K. Some prefer the 3K. Some people swear by the 4k, which despite the name is different beast than the 3k. Some big names are using the MV 8000 or 8800. Some people are using the ASR. Some people use the SP1200.

Mic wise people use whateve they have around.... Everything from c800's all the way down to TLM 103's back up to Neumann mikes, etc etc. Some people use the Blue mics. Not every artist sounds great on the same mic and engineer's know this, and a lot of stuff now is being done on lower budgets where they don't have the $$ for a $6000 mic.

Preamp wise... Some people are using the SSL Board pres, some people are using Neve's, some people are using API's. Some people are using mbox's or digi002 (it's not longer all about the big studio). Some people prefer chandlers. Etc. etc.

Keybaord-wise: Some people prefer older keyboards (neps), some people are Motif based, others swear by the fantom, some people are using newer versions of simulated analog gear like Virus, Microkorg, Andromeda, Se. Some people use the Triton Extreme. Some people use the older roland modules for sounds. Some people don't use keyboards much at all.

With the products I listed above there are enough possible combinations to get hundreds of different sounds. It's no different than any other style of music. And with ALL of it your sound depends totally on WHAT you sample, WHICH patches you choose, and HOW you process them... So why are you perpetuating this false argument?

You're trying to say that Just Blaze sounds just like Timbaland, who sounds just like Hi-Tek, who sounds just like Scott Storch, who sounds just Nottz, who sounds just like Dre, who sounds just like Mannie Fresh, who sounds just like Kanye West, who sounds just like Jazze Phe, who sounds just like Will.I.Am???

Personally I think you're off your rocker on this one.
not really you can find a general exception to every rule which is why I said a lot. But the fact remains that a lot of producers are motif, triton or fantom based right now. to me the newer mpcs (post 2000xl and even to some extent the 2000xl) sound very similar. There are people still using 3ks but its not as common and its even less common to use a 60. And it has less to do with sounds and more to do with the sound of the gear. Perhaps you're looking for a reason to say I'm off?
Old 31st August 2007
  #32
no ssl yet
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
not really you can find a general exception to every rule which is why I said a lot. But the fact remains that a lot of producers are motif, triton or fantom based right now. to me the newer mpcs (post 2000xl and even to some extent the 2000xl) sound very similar. There are people still using 3ks but its not as common and its even less common to use a 60. And it has less to do with sounds and more to do with the sound of the gear. Perhaps you're looking for a reason to say I'm off?

The sound of the gear? ARe you serious?
If you don't like the music, dont blame the gear. When did everyone in ANY genre not create with pretty much the same tools?


Make some music. Stop this silly ****. IF you don't like what's out, make something else. Go out, build a following and put yourself on, then dudes on the internet will Bitch about why your stuff doesn't sound like it should.

Get busy.


And if your argument is really the sound of the gear, perhaps it's because it's all crushed to be as loud as possible in mastering. Perhaps it's because of this that you think it sounds the same. After enough of a crushing, you honestly don't know WHAT the gear actually sounded like. LOL but you blame hip hop producers. It's gotta be something wrong with us. HIP HOP the musical Scapegoat.
Old 31st August 2007
  #33
no ssl yet
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
real music is such a subjective term. music is really about what has influenced you to make music which in general will come naturally if it is good music. The problem with hip hop r&b and rock is that they are all youth genres that don't generally accept too much creativity. maybe not so much in r&b but definately in hip hop and rock. you have to sound somewhat like something they already like in order for them to like you. there is a bit of psycology to making good music that i am still learning myself but it really is more than what you like and consider good. most people happen to like the same things but not everyone
Bull****.

I think you had a valid point till I read this.

You just sound bitter. Tell that stuff about having to sound like what they already like to producers from the south. (NY used to RUN labels and at one point alot of Onyx souning stuff was coming out.) We had to prove ourselves by selling records. If you have some worthwhile ****, play it somewhere for someone to like it. Prove it.

What you're going through sounds like one of 2 things

1) You're **** isn't good and you're sour because people don't like it

2) You're running into people not liking it because you're not on. (I think EVERYONE has experienced that before. Hell Jay, Big, Pac, and Em got passed over for deals and later put out alot of the same songs. People listen based on image. LOL Why do you think guys in the entourage lie to groupies and say they have an album coming out to get some?)

Suck it up and make some music.


Also to the guy complaining about the 808, NOTHING rocks a party like an 808. NOTHING. I'm not totally happy with where music is, but don't take the 8 away.
Old 31st August 2007
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Ace'Lo's Avatar
 

GET EM DART!!!!! Man this is classic!
Old 31st August 2007
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Also to the guy complaining about the 808, NOTHING rocks a party like an 808. NOTHING. I'm not totally happy with where music is, but don't take the 8 away.
I don't want to take the 808 away! I've used it myself for layering and stuff...
I'm just tired of hearing the same sounds on 80% of all songs on the radio today... And IMO the 808s are some of these highly overplayed sounds!

These big shot producers have got to be able to come up with something more original. Come on now...

And no offense to anyone, that's just how I feel!
Old 31st August 2007
  #36
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
not really you can find a general exception to every rule which is why I said a lot. But the fact remains that a lot of producers are motif, triton or fantom based right now. to me the newer mpcs (post 2000xl and even to some extent the 2000xl) sound very similar. There are people still using 3ks but its not as common and its even less common to use a 60. And it has less to do with sounds and more to do with the sound of the gear. Perhaps you're looking for a reason to say I'm off?
Looking...? I already named at least 8. Here's more:

I can tell you that the creative possibilities of the Motif, Fantom, Triton etc. are far from exceeded. How do I know? Because they're used in a bunch of other styles of music. Styles that sound nothing like hip-hop. Styles that get mixed on the same consoles and software as hiphop projects but yet have totally different sounding mixes.

In addition to that, we live in the plugin/software age... It is now easier to modify your sound than ever before. If you read Scratch or other mags, it's common for people to list their plugins, and everybody has their own 'weapons' that they use to modify their sound. And in addition to that, 2 people using the *same* plugin will use it different ways. Ex., one person will use a guitar amp sim to process electric guitars, while another producer is using it on pianos, and the next on drums. I can take the same Motif or Fantom you're complaining about and have it sounding totally different in 10-15 seconds just by clicking a few buttons in my DAW. This is 2007.

So you mention the MPC... Lets break that down. You mention the "newer mpcs". Ok so, lets say I have 3 libraries of drums. One of them I've sampled from my vinyl records, through a tubetech pre and and old comp. The second I've collected myself from various live sources. The third I've purchased from sites on the internet.

So you mean to tell me that, because I'm using an MPC 2500, that no matter which of these sample sets I use, the result will sound the same because I used the same sampler? And add to it that I can throw *one* plugin or other processing device at the end of the chain and totally change the sound in any way I desire, and you're still saying that because I use a common sampler it's going to sound exactly like someone else with a 2500?

You are making it fairly obvious that you don't know what you're talking about!
Old 31st August 2007
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Sirocco's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Bull****.

I think you had a valid point till I read this.

You just sound bitter. Tell that stuff about having to sound like what they already like to producers from the south. (NY used to RUN labels and at one point alot of Onyx souning stuff was coming out.) We had to prove ourselves by selling records. If you have some worthwhile ****, play it somewhere for someone to like it. Prove it.

What you're going through sounds like one of 2 things

1) You're **** isn't good and you're sour because people don't like it

2) You're running into people not liking it because you're not on. (I think EVERYONE has experienced that before. Hell Jay, Big, Pac, and Em got passed over for deals and later put out alot of the same songs. People listen based on image. LOL Why do you think guys in the entourage lie to groupies and say they have an album coming out to get some?)

Suck it up and make some music.


Also to the guy complaining about the 808, NOTHING rocks a party like an 808. NOTHING. I'm not totally happy with where music is, but don't take the 8 away.
Take it easy on xabiton, he is a transplanted futureproducers member!






i kid i kid
Old 31st August 2007
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
Take it easy on xabiton, he is a transplanted futureproducers member!
Hmm... Looks like there's a 'Sirocco' with a few hundred posts on the fp boards too... Ironic!

Old 31st August 2007
  #39
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
hip hop is generic now for the same reason it was in the 90s. Everyone is using the same gear, the same plug ins, and producing the exact same way as everyone else and then expect to sound different. Everyone finds it acceptable now to make music on Pro Tools LE using a mbox with stock plug ins, modern beats drums and Fruity Loops and the same 3 or 4 vsts everyone else is using. Im fine with people doing that but u cant complain when everyone has the same sound and sounds especially when the division of sound from piece to piece is so small nowadays. If you want to sound different its very easy to do. Do something that is unique and different. Don't buy a mpc everyone uses a mpc find a rare sampler and sample your drums. Don't use a Fantom, Motif or Triton to play your music instead find something rare that nobody else is using. Don't use Reason, FL studio or mainstream vsti.
Or do what I do, and use multiple selections of sequencers, and tweak all my sounds so their source is almost unrecognizable to the untrained ear.

Im gonna have to say its not about what you use, but more about how you use it.

I put together almost the same production setup for my boy, and nothing that we push out of our studios sounds alike, even when we are using the same sounds off the same modules for a particular beat.

Im personally never satisfied with raw stock sounds, I like to have my own special flavours tacked onto everything, so I choose to take a lot of time and make new sounds out of existing popular sounds that are heavily in use at the moment.

Its not too hard to do, producers just have to try not to be lazy about it.
Old 31st August 2007
  #40
Gear Maniac
 
justyntime's Avatar
 

I somewhat agree with the poster BUT theres a reason why some of us feel this way....

I too am tired of hearing the 1/16 hi hat with the 808 clap and a 808 snare roll on song after song. Im tired of hearing tracks made with the same ol Motif sounds over and over. The same Triton sounds over and over. The same old Fantom sounds over and over...

But why do we feel this way? The answer is simple.

We own these synths and know them like the back of our hands. WE have used the same sounds over and over and we are tired of using them. So not only do we get bored with them when we are making ****, we also have to hear them all day on MTV BET and the radio and we are bored with it. We are ready to move on.

The average listener doesnt listen to a lil john beat and say of thats bank C patch 84, thats bank A patch 117 and so on and so on... So its not as big a deal to them.
Old 31st August 2007
  #41
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyntime View Post
I somewhat agree with the poster BUT theres a reason why some of us feel this way....

I too am tired of hearing the 1/16 hi hat with the 808 clap and a 808 snare roll on song after song. Im tired of hearing tracks made with the same ol Motif sounds over and over. The same Triton sounds over and over. The same old Fantom sounds over and over...

But why do we feel this way? The answer is simple.

We own these synths and know them like the back of our hands. WE have used the same sounds over and over and we are tired of using them. So not only do we get bored with them when we are making ****, we also have to hear them all day on MTV BET and the radio and we are bored with it. We are ready to move on.

The average listener doesnt listen to a lil john beat and say of thats bank C patch 84, thats bank A patch 117 and so on and so on... So its not as big a deal to them.
Thats true, there are some times when I find myself over analyzing tracks I hear on the radio, since I have a general ideal of how it was possibly put together and what was used.

I still think if most ppl did a better job at using the sounds, no one would have anything to complain about.
If a melody, or a drum pattern sounds sick, it just sounds sick, no matter if the sounds used to create them are outdated.
The problem with using outdated sounds is that you gotta remember to use them in a way thats not outdated, but instead a way that is brand new and unheard of.

I use my Triton Rack everyday, and get something fresh out of it all the time, but its not because I just pull the sound off the rack and toss it into a track im working on, using a mediocre melody. I really work my ass off to make sure that what im using those sounds for is something entirely new, to the point where I dont want anyone to hear what I did because I feel they may try to copy and use my ideal first.

As a producer, if someone is not bending backwards to create original sounding work, they probably arent much of a producer to begin with...
When all else fails, and you cant come up with a fresh new original ideal to play in, pull out the turntable and dig through your stash...
Old 31st August 2007
  #42
Lives for gear
 
bexarametric's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
yet the way each band records is a little bit different. they arent all using the same preamps, same engineers, same mics or same rooms. the room is very important especially in a live recording aspect id say more so than in a mixing enviroment thats just my opinion tho. different guitars do sound different tho they are made of different wood or metal, they use different strings at different gauges and on top of that no two people play exactly the same way. in a rock enviroment there is no mpc swing to save them in hip hop a lot of cats heavily rely on mpc swing and quantize features to get that tight timing and when they do that it eliminates the playing style that made each band unique and every performance unique. i can play drums but i can't play drums the same way as the dude from a rock band and my timiing wont be exactly the same as his either no matter how close we are so no its always going to sound different
I disagree. All the rock bands out there seem to be replacing their drum sounds with samples. Therefore, it's now no different than hip hop. Also, we can talk about preamps and all that, but once the mastering engineer gets a hold of it and squashes the mix, there's really no dynamics left. It just sounds like every other loud rock record now.
Old 31st August 2007
  #43
no ssl yet
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Thats true, there are some times when I find myself over analyzing tracks I hear on the radio, since I have a general ideal of how it was possibly put together and what was used.

I still think if most ppl did a better job at using the sounds, no one would have anything to complain about.
If a melody, or a drum pattern sounds sick, it just sounds sick, no matter if the sounds used to create them are outdated.
The problem with using outdated sounds is that you gotta remember to use them in a way thats not outdated, but instead a way that is brand new and unheard of.

I use my Triton Rack everyday, and get something fresh out of it all the time, but its not because I just pull the sound off the rack and toss it into a track im working on, using a mediocre melody. I really work my ass off to make sure that what im using those sounds for is something entirely new, to the point where I dont want anyone to hear what I did because I feel they may try to copy and use my ideal first.

As a producer, if someone is not bending backwards to create original sounding work, they probably arent much of a producer to begin with...
When all else fails, and you cant come up with a fresh new original ideal to play in, pull out the turntable and dig through your stash...
Though we rave over new and old modules alike, they all sound pretty much the same. There's not much difference between all the motifs or soft synths, or all of the Roland modules since the JD990/800. Sure we hear a diff, but the public doesn't give a ****. The truth of the matter comes from the tweaking. It's how the sound fits in your arrangement. And some pieces are easier to tweak into what you want them to be than others. It's all about the interface, because most of the modules that hit rap records have been made on over the years were from boards with less than 100mb of rom on them.


HOw about we take a different approach.

Don't worry about creating something "orignal or New" Create something that complements the song, and I promise all the rest will fall in place.
Old 31st August 2007
  #44
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
HOw about we take a different approach.

Don't worry about creating something "orignal or New" Create something that complements the song, and I promise all the rest will fall in place.
Thats how its suppose to work. You should concentrate more on "feel" than anything else. When you go with what you feel more than with what you think, what you make usually ends up being new and original in comparison to everything else in the end.

I also think insufficient experience has something to do with the issue as well. Some dont have the ability to take exactly what they hear in their mind and bring it into reality, and I think thats at least one of the problems when it comes to basic, old, and boring sounding arrangements.
Old 31st August 2007
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Sirocco's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post
Hmm... Looks like there's a 'Sirocco' with a few hundred posts on the fp boards too... Ironic!

im honored you took the time to do a search

hehhehhehhehheh
Old 31st August 2007
  #46
Gear Maniac
 

sigh...yet another discussion on "whats wrongs with hip hop today"

Lets make some music eh?

yes songs are played out yes the source for sounds is duplicated and can easily be figured out by our trained ears, BUT!



besides those complaining, who gives a ****?


on the real, why waste this energy on this kinda topic, it seems silly.
I'm done.
Old 31st August 2007
  #47
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
sigh...yet another discussion on "whats wrongs with hip hop today"

Lets make some music eh?

yes songs are played out yes the source for sounds is duplicated and can easily be figured out by our trained ears, BUT!



besides those complaining, who gives a ****?


on the real, why waste this energy on this kinda topic, it seems silly.
I'm done.
Same here....
Im gonna go out and check out one of those reflexion fliters, and buy my girl some ice cream so she wont notice me spending more money on gear for this month . The life of a Gearslut....
Old 31st August 2007
  #48
Lives for gear
 
superjc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post

1) You're **** isn't good and you're sour because people don't like it

Could be true, but let's not reinforce the myth that something that sells a lot is "good". How many units did Vanilla Ice sell? I think the 808 just sounds so familiar people like it. 36 Mafia has been laughing to the bank off it for so many years now....
Old 1st September 2007
  #49
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
The sound of the gear? ARe you serious?
If you don't like the music, dont blame the gear. When did everyone in ANY genre not create with pretty much the same tools?


Make some music. Stop this silly ****. IF you don't like what's out, make something else. Go out, build a following and put yourself on, then dudes on the internet will Bitch about why your stuff doesn't sound like it should.

Get busy.


And if your argument is really the sound of the gear, perhaps it's because it's all crushed to be as loud as possible in mastering. Perhaps it's because of this that you think it sounds the same. After enough of a crushing, you honestly don't know WHAT the gear actually sounded like. LOL but you blame hip hop producers. It's gotta be something wrong with us. HIP HOP the musical Scapegoat.
I never once said I didn't like the music. I didn't say it was bad music. I said it sounds generic and what I mean by sound is the character of the sounds themselves. This is my opinion and I'm entitled to that. To me the gear itself does sound very similar across the board. But more so than the gear itself is really that everyone is using the same things.
Old 1st September 2007
  #50
no ssl yet
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
I never once said I didn't like the music. I didn't say it was bad music. I said it sounds generic and what I mean by sound is the character of the sounds themselves. This is my opinion and I'm entitled to that. To me the gear itself does sound very similar across the board. But more so than the gear itself is really that everyone is using the same things.
When was everyone not using the same things?
Old 1st September 2007
  #51
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Bull****.

I think you had a valid point till I read this.

You just sound bitter. Tell that stuff about having to sound like what they already like to producers from the south. (NY used to RUN labels and at one point alot of Onyx souning stuff was coming out.) We had to prove ourselves by selling records. If you have some worthwhile ****, play it somewhere for someone to like it. Prove it.

What you're going through sounds like one of 2 things

1) You're **** isn't good and you're sour because people don't like it

2) You're running into people not liking it because you're not on. (I think EVERYONE has experienced that before. Hell Jay, Big, Pac, and Em got passed over for deals and later put out alot of the same songs. People listen based on image. LOL Why do you think guys in the entourage lie to groupies and say they have an album coming out to get some?)

Suck it up and make some music.


Also to the guy complaining about the 808, NOTHING rocks a party like an 808. NOTHING. I'm not totally happy with where music is, but don't take the 8 away.
I'm not angry one bit. I am simply stating that people by nature don't accept things that are too different. I think you are taking what I am saying as a lash out to other people and thats not what I am doing at all. I am enjoying myself making music and I am making extra money doing so. What I am doing here is more psycology than anything else. Theres a reason why formulas have been working in music. I don't like them but I am beginning to understand what about them make them work. I like a lot of the music I hear on the radio and on MTV I don't understand how that makes me biter. Just because I don't make it like them doesn't make me hate them it just means I make something different.
Old 1st September 2007
  #52
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post
Looking...? I already named at least 8. Here's more:

I can tell you that the creative possibilities of the Motif, Fantom, Triton etc. are far from exceeded. How do I know? Because they're used in a bunch of other styles of music. Styles that sound nothing like hip-hop. Styles that get mixed on the same consoles and software as hiphop projects but yet have totally different sounding mixes.

In addition to that, we live in the plugin/software age... It is now easier to modify your sound than ever before. If you read Scratch or other mags, it's common for people to list their plugins, and everybody has their own 'weapons' that they use to modify their sound. And in addition to that, 2 people using the *same* plugin will use it different ways. Ex., one person will use a guitar amp sim to process electric guitars, while another producer is using it on pianos, and the next on drums. I can take the same Motif or Fantom you're complaining about and have it sounding totally different in 10-15 seconds just by clicking a few buttons in my DAW. This is 2007.

So you mention the MPC... Lets break that down. You mention the "newer mpcs". Ok so, lets say I have 3 libraries of drums. One of them I've sampled from my vinyl records, through a tubetech pre and and old comp. The second I've collected myself from various live sources. The third I've purchased from sites on the internet.

So you mean to tell me that, because I'm using an MPC 2500, that no matter which of these sample sets I use, the result will sound the same because I used the same sampler? And add to it that I can throw *one* plugin or other processing device at the end of the chain and totally change the sound in any way I desire, and you're still saying that because I use a common sampler it's going to sound exactly like someone else with a 2500?

You are making it fairly obvious that you don't know what you're talking about!
You just don't understand what I am saying at all. I am talking purely about these cats who are the in the box types. The ones that go around and ask what records should I sample, the ones that only dig through presets and make knock off beats of who evers on top. Its useless to really talk to you tho. You are looking for a reason to say that I am wrong but you don't even get what I am saying. I'm talking about new cats these people you mention that are heavy weights that have been doin it for a long time and have their own sound and their own fan base ect obviously arent doing this. But what about all these here today gone tomorrow acts that are doing the exact same things and clogging the airwaves and the charts for a few months before disappering forever. This is what Ive been talking about the whole time. Its these cookie cutter in the box style producers and rappers. The ones that say ok I need 3 club songs on this album that sound like a scott storch beat. The producers who like scott storch and go out and buy a motif and find each preset he uses and knocks off his style then sells it off gets some radio time and when his song dies off the next person does the same thing. Again you are looking for an absolute truth but what I am saying is nothing that is absolute going to happen the same way 100% of the time. There will be exceptions a lot of them but there is some truth to what I am saying also
Old 1st September 2007
  #53
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Or do what I do, and use multiple selections of sequencers, and tweak all my sounds so their source is almost unrecognizable to the untrained ear.

Im gonna have to say its not about what you use, but more about how you use it.

I put together almost the same production setup for my boy, and nothing that we push out of our studios sounds alike, even when we are using the same sounds off the same modules for a particular beat.

Im personally never satisfied with raw stock sounds, I like to have my own special flavours tacked onto everything, so I choose to take a lot of time and make new sounds out of existing popular sounds that are heavily in use at the moment.

Its not too hard to do, producers just have to try not to be lazy about it.
You're touching a bit of what I am getting at. How many people take the time to do this extra stuff? A lot of people now are looking to make those 10 minute beats. They aren't taking the real time to learn their machines in and out make their own custom patches and **** like that. There are people doing it but I don't see or hear it in the vast majority.
Old 1st September 2007
  #54
Lives for gear
 
superjc's Avatar
 

I remember an issue of Keyboard magazine in '04 with Lil Jon on the cover and it said "Lil Jon's Secret Weapon" of course, the Motif. Sshhhh!! It's a big secret Funny stuff.
Old 1st September 2007
  #55
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
When was everyone not using the same things?
How many people aren't using a Fantom, Motif, Triton, Fruity Loops, Reason, MV8000, ASR10, SP1200 or a MPC. These tools are pretty much standard. Its rare to hear someone go completely left field and pick up a 909 in Hip Hop. Do you hear a lot of cats making their own patches off the machines? How many people are using impeach the president drums? 808s are all over the place. I personally believe that people new to making hip hop are grabbing what the next man is using because its so readily available.
Old 1st September 2007
  #56
Lives for gear
 

Do any of you make your own sounds? Synthisis? I use Logic pro and I am really striving to make all my own sounds. To me that seems the only true way to have your own sound. Stay away from patches or at least heavily change them.
Bye the way I love the 909 a lot of electronic music uses them.
Old 1st September 2007
  #57
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone View Post
Do any of you make your own sounds? Synthisis? I use Logic pro and I am really striving to make all my own sounds. To me that seems the only true way to have your own sound. Stay away from patches or at least heavily change them.
Bye the way I love the 909 a lot of electronic music uses them.
i use what i like the sound of. if thats a preset ill use it if i cant find what i want in a preset ill make it
Old 1st September 2007
  #58
no ssl yet
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
How many people aren't using a Fantom, Motif, Triton, Fruity Loops, Reason, MV8000, ASR10, SP1200 or a MPC. These tools are pretty much standard. Its rare to hear someone go completely left field and pick up a 909 in Hip Hop. Do you hear a lot of cats making their own patches off the machines? How many people are using impeach the president drums? 808s are all over the place. I personally believe that people new to making hip hop are grabbing what the next man is using because its so readily available.
Well I haven't "picked up" a 909 in years, it's been quite some time since I've owned one. But I have used the samples in a bunch of ****, and I could name some hip hop records that have used 909s (Most familiar would be the PSK record. It's not new but it's a CLASSIC using a 9.)

We have ALWAYS used the same tools though, that's my point. Everything you just named samples. Why would anyone pick up a 909? Everyone I know that's making records tweaks patches.
Old 1st September 2007
  #59
no ssl yet
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
You just don't understand what I am saying at all. I am talking purely about these cats who are the in the box types. The ones that go around and ask what records should I sample, the ones that only dig through presets and make knock off beats of who evers on top. Its useless to really talk to you tho. You are looking for a reason to say that I am wrong but you don't even get what I am saying. I'm talking about new cats these people you mention that are heavy weights that have been doin it for a long time and have their own sound and their own fan base ect obviously arent doing this. But what about all these here today gone tomorrow acts that are doing the exact same things and clogging the airwaves and the charts for a few months before disappering forever. This is what Ive been talking about the whole time. Its these cookie cutter in the box style producers and rappers. The ones that say ok I need 3 club songs on this album that sound like a scott storch beat. The producers who like scott storch and go out and buy a motif and find each preset he uses and knocks off his style then sells it off gets some radio time and when his song dies off the next person does the same thing. Again you are looking for an absolute truth but what I am saying is nothing that is absolute going to happen the same way 100% of the time. There will be exceptions a lot of them but there is some truth to what I am saying also
But who cares about them?

Who even listens to them? Do they even make records? You're missing the fact that most modules sound alike anyway. Each piano may sound a bit different, each Synth bass, BUT they will all be pretty similiar thats how come the pianos are all named "Piano" and the bass patch are all named "bass"
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
uylink / High end
41
jgrif08 / So much gear, so little time
5
Reptil / So much gear, so little time
15
crispy / So much gear, so little time
5
BevvyB / So much gear, so little time
23

Forum Jump
Forum Jump