The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why is the Pacifica so darn ugly! Consoles
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Why is the Pacifica so darn ugly!

I mean, come on! I like for my studio to look as fantastic as it sounds. Most of my gear is black/silver faced. Then there's something like a Pacifica screaming at you in white and red.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Looks pretty cool to me. Plus it has a blue LED which means it's 'pro'. What more do you want.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Everything I have with blue LED's rocks!

'nuff said.

GM
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

No way is it ugly. It sounds like it looks! Vanilla cream with a little red cinnamon candy thrown in for taste!!!
Old 29th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

The Pacifica looks great and is a stand out in the rack...!

Nevermind it sounds great (which I guess counts for something in the end).

War
Old 29th August 2007
Looks cool to me. . .but I'm still a sucker for more meters and lights.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midiguy View Post
I mean, come on! I like for my studio to look as fantastic as it sounds. Most of my gear is black/silver faced. Then there's something like a Pacifica screaming at you in white and red.
I've thought of that before. The sound makes up for it though. heh.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think it looks pretty cool....

Sure, perhaps it doesn't look 'expensive'.

Who are you trying to impress anyway?

Ohhh, riiiight, your clients.

Those fools. Just leave the price tag on!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

My Behringer Mixer has blue LED's. Enough said.

Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

i love blue lights but they have control over my credit cards and i must break that habit..

the pacifica is meant to look extremely similar to the quad8 console that its design was inspired from.

but, yeah. it's butt ugly.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Someone musta thought it looked cool hence the production run in that color. Just like some people hate the look of a Volvo but love BMW.... heheh different strokes...
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Cool

Are you an idiot or just playing one on the internet?

How 'bout I just spray paint some sheet metal, stick some pretty Christmas lights through holes and sell it to you for a few grand?

-andrews

p.s. wait... 3 posts? I smell a troll.... let's strike this thread from the forum, please!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
My Behringer Mixer has blue LED's. Enough said.

Yeah but doesn't it say "pro" somewhere on it? I mean nothing says pro like blue LED's and Behringer.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hilarious! In the Hammer EQ thread people are bitchin' that Peter's new EQ has a black face plate.

Since when did studio chic go metrosexual?! dfegad
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey guys, if you ever saw a Pacifica console they were that color (off) white with red anodized aluminum red knobs and faders. Hence the color scheme, which I think is great and makes it stand out in the rack.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

I love the look. Reminds me of a early 60s white Corvette with the red leather interior.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post

How 'bout I just spray paint some sheet metal, stick some pretty Christmas lights through holes and sell it to you for a few grand?

-andrews

p.s. wait... 3 posts? I smell a troll.... let's strike this thread from the forum, please!

Well Dirty Halo, I'm sorry if you don't like your studio cosmetically attractive for clients. Like it or not, appearance DOES mean something in attracting clients. Lots of artists have no clue about the different between Behringer and something of quality so they will choose a studio based on other factors, appearance being on of them. And the fact that I only have 3 posts seems irrelevant, unless your very first posting many years ago was somehow labeled at 1,000. If George Massenberg wanted to post here (maybe he does already, I don't know), should everyone discount his first 1,000 postings as well? I've been reading posts here for a while, but spent a lot of time over at Harmony Central. I've outgrown Harmony Central. I don't currently own the Pacifica (yet). I'm currently debating between a Great River and the Pacifica, which needs to arrive in the next few weeks as I'm recording a well established Minnesota radio artist.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't currently own the Pacifica (yet). I'm currently debating between a Great River and the Pacifica, which needs to arrive in the next few weeks as I'm recording a well established Minnesota radio artist.
fwiw the GR's looks never really knocked me out either, but the sound sure does. i first thought that pacifica looked a little odd but then when i read it was inspired by a console that i knew nothing about, it made sense and i thought it was cool. i give both peter and dan a's for originality though.there's only so many red marconi knob on matte grey that are original.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

As an add-on, 15 years ago I was guilty of choosing a studio based on looks myself. I visited 2 studios, one was Creation Audio in Minneapolis which at the time was probably the best in the state, had a whole selection vintage mics and some great console and monitors, but everthing looked old. In reality, it was really great vintage stuff (but I didn't know it at the time). Instead, I ended up going to some place that had a Mackie 32-8 and a bunch of Alesis Adats because everything looked new and put together. It looked like it must have been state of the art. Wrong choice looking back.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I personally wished everything in my rack were red and had blue LED's. Black isn't very exciting.

Sounds like you'd enjoy having my Pacifica...which is actually black (it's an early pre-production unit). I'll sell it to you for $5k so that your color scheme can return to blandness.

Brad
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:

-andrews

tutt

Quote:
I'm currently debating between a Great River and the Pacifica, which needs to arrive in the next few weeks as I'm recording a well established Minnesota radio artist.

Hi Midiguy, do you mind saying who that is?

Also, please consider a John Hardy M1. I love the sound, and they look great.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Probably shouldn't say the name, but she is an artist that is featured on KTIS.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
As an add-on, 15 years ago I was guilty of choosing a studio based on looks myself. I visited 2 studios, one was Creation Audio in Minneapolis which at the time was probably the best in the state, had a whole selection vintage mics and some great console and monitors, but everthing looked old. In reality, it was really great vintage stuff (but I didn't know it at the time). Instead, I ended up going to some place that had a Mackie 32-8 and a bunch of Alesis Adats because everything looked new and put together. It looked like it must have been state of the art. Wrong choice looking back.

Then you should realize looks aren't everything. Not to mention that I've never had a client walk into my ugly ass home studio and say "gee this is ugly I'm going somewhere else". TheY listen to my material and say "wow, you did that here?". If you lose a client because you have an ugly preamp in your rack then they probably aren't worth a **** anyway. Some gear is sexy, some gear is ugly, neither matters at all.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Is that color because of the Peruvian flag!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsqd View Post
Everything I have with blue LED's rocks!

'nuff said.

GM
Black with blue lights?

Get Dennis Rodman on Halloween!!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Lightbulb Give it a rest!

Nice try with your B.S.tutt

But if a guy comes on Gearslutz and his FIRST concern is the appearance of gear over the sound, quality, build, etc., then THAT deserves comment.

It's THAT crap and my subsequent posts that makes this forum less and less appealing to me.

So, give it a rest.

How about something useful like: What is the Pacifica inspired by, built like, what is it's heritage, what sound can you expext as opposed to a Neve or API?

Have you ever tried a REDDI? EM-PEQ? Thew new Hammer? Amazing!

Can you expect that quality SOUND from a Pacific? Yep!

Is the guy behind that gear a great guy? Hell yeah!

Noooo... this guy is worried about the color schemefuuck

-a

AGAIN- I move to remove this thread or move it to the MOAN ZONE where it belongs. This does not belong here.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Rack it next to a Drawmer piece, and it won't look so ugly anymore in comparison.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nice try with your B.S.tutt

But if a guy comes on Gearslutz and his FIRST concern is the appearance of gear over the sound, quality, build, etc., then THAT deserves comment.

It's THAT crap and my subsequent posts that makes this forum less and less appealing to me.

So, give it a rest.

How about something useful like: What is the Pacifica inspired by, built like, what is it's heritage, what sound can you expext as opposed to a Neve or API?

Have you ever tried a REDDI? EM-PEQ? Thew new Hammer? Amazing!

Can you expect that quality SOUND from a Pacific? Yep!

Is the guy behind that gear a great guy? Hell yeah!

Noooo... this guy is worried about the color schemefuuck

-a

AGAIN- I move to remove this thread or move it to the MOAN ZONE where it belongs. This does not belong here.
If you'd actually read my first posts, you'd see they were regarding my intended uses for the pre, my main mics I'd be running through the pre, genres of music I record with it, and various artists vocal styles. I'm pretty much set on the Pacifica, but was just curious why it was designed cosmetically the way it is.
Old 29th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uh, there's your first post.

Sounds like a noob question to me, but whatever. You're planting yourself in the Walters list.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Exclamation You guys have way to much free time.

Who gives a **** .
Get off the internet,Turn it on and start recording for F*cks sake
Like Silvertone said..its in line with the original Quad Eight design scheme..
which to me looks pretty damn alright anyways.
I have a firlotte prototype EQ painted basic grey..pretty ugly...so far nobody has complained..you know why?
bingo.. ..because it sounds great.
get over it.
or maybe sell it to me cheap and go buy a friggin' Avalon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search