The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why is the Pacifica so darn ugly! Consoles
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
sell it to me cheap and go buy a friggin' Avalon

LMAO!!!heh
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm amazed. It's an absolutely beautiful design IMO
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midiguy View Post
I mean, come on! I like for my studio to look as fantastic as it sounds. Most of my gear is black/silver faced. Then there's something like a Pacifica screaming at you in white and red.

could you post a picture of yourself?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

IMO, the weirder a piece of gear looks the better. I love funky color schemes... gives your rack personality.

-SD
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

worst-thread-ever

(or maybe not...)

Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
worst-thread-ever

(or maybe not...)

+1

-andrews

P.S. The "Avril: ITB v. OTB" was about to take the prize and then this thread came in and snatched the prize!

Last edited by Dirty Halo; 30th August 2007 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: Too damn bored
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

it's just an opinion. doesn't the guy have a right these days to have an opinion!

I hate 192I/O converters, i don't like any Hammond B-3 Clone, what the hell is wrong with that!

I do agree with Roundbadge. I'm going to my studio to record. Later.

Old 30th August 2007
Jsx
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
+1

-andrews

P.S. The "Avril: ITB v. OTB" was about to take the prize and then this thread came in and snatched the prize!
Sheesh, give it a rest already. He's already said that he is strongly considering purchasing the Pacifica based on it's capabilities regardless of appearance. It's just his personal opinion, no need to beat your wife over it.
Old 30th August 2007

Hey Midiguy,
This place has an unwritten code that you can't question cosmetic issues of any of the sacred cows. As odd as it seems, many of this group feel this is below the level that they deem to be important and really get nasty when you step over the line. Remember this is IMPORTANT stuff that goes on here!!!! (insert sarcastic emoticon)
Pay them no mind as it really is an odd affectation that seems to inflict the "serious types" amongst us. Me, I have mixed on Pacifica consoles so the look doesn't surprise me, although it is a bit simple in it's presentation. Use it and you'll probably love it as it really is a quality piece.....a graphic design treasure, probably not.
Welcome to the fray and don't let the nonsense get you down....we're only talking about gear here....we're not exactly finding a cure for cancer or something else actually important...
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

I agree with the last few posts...

Anyway, the guy just said he didn't like how the unit looks. After looking at pictures of it, I could go either way, but it certainly isn't striking.

I just don't get all the angry responses.

Nothing to see here folks, move along..
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Rick Sutton;1467436]Hey Midiguy,
This place has an unwritten code that you can't talk about cosmetic issues of any of the sacred cows. As odd as it seems, many of this group feel this is below the level that they deem to be important and really get nasty when you step over the line. Remember this is IMPORTANT stuff that goes on here!!!! (insert sarcastic emoticon).....Rick (Chicken Head) Sutton
QUOTE]

it just seems silly to complain about cosmetics when its all about the sound..
if you buy gear for looks then you have problems..now listen to this clip of the Pacifica and tell me you care about cosmetics????
Attached Files

pacf.mp3 (454.7 KB, 191 views)

Old 30th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
if you buy gear for looks then you have problems..now listen to this clip of the Pacifica and tell me you care about cosmetics????
It's never ALL about any ONE thing. There are dimensions to everything and being rigid and didactic goes against the artistic side that some people feel is important in our line of work.

Sometimes silly is the antidote to some of the pompous horse**** that gets deposited here.
By the way, I don't need to listen to your clip as I use a Pacifica on a daily basis. Oh, and thanks for the bold lettering on my sig! Glad you noticed.

Seriously sillily yours in the quest for proper etiquite in all things truly important and tolerance for the merely mundane.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

[quote=effectsnut;1467465]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post

AFTER i HEARD THIS CLIP! I HAVE TO BUY THE PACOIFICA!! GREAT SOUND!!!!!!
AND LOVE YOUR VOICE!! AMAZING!!
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

The first time I saw one in person I thought, Wow this thing looks pretty cool!

To each his own.

Old 30th August 2007

ZAK7 ,
PLeeeeeeaaaaazzzzeeeee change the quote.....I didn't say that, they are the words of effectsnut.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
All of you Gearslutz can kiss my ass!!! I hate you all, and wish you were dead!!!
Wow! This one was a little strange too.

JUST KIDDING RICK!!!
Old 30th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Wow! This one was a little strange too.

JUST KIDDING RICK!!!
Patrox,
Now that was just plain silly! Good on 'yahehhehheh
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsx View Post
Sheesh, give it a rest already. He's already said that he is strongly considering purchasing the Pacifica based on it's capabilities regardless of appearance. It's just his personal opinion, no need to beat your wife over it.
No, don't think I will give it a rest. Rather, I'll rack up a few more posts

Besides, I was just agreeing with someone else

-a
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

Sorry if I came on a little strong too.to each his own.
must be the heat and 14 hour days.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Seriously sillily yours in the quest for proper etiquite in all things truly important and tolerance for the merely mundane.
I know your intelligent but please speak English...LOL...I'm really not serious I got a little pissed in the last post with chandler because we were talking with Wade about his new gear and few came in and started to cut the cosmetics up..I didn't think that was right...its like if someone bought a new car and you tell them it looks like **** and the manufacturer is right there...life is too short
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Sorry if I came on a little strong too.to each his own.
must be the heat and 14 hour days.
haha..yeah dude it was blistering hot today..makes me want a cold beer.

as far as looks go...don't really care..BUT I hate it when pre's dont have meters.
Old 30th August 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Hilarious! In the Hammer EQ thread people are bitchin' that Peter's new EQ has a black face plate.

Since when did studio chic go metrosexual?! dfegad
yep LOL

i think everything made today should look like it a modern art deco piece that was made in the fifties
it has to be sexy!

i love the looks of the pacifica
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

Decide for your self.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Black isn't very exciting.

Brad
Than you haven't seen my girlfriend in black... Now that IS exiting
Old 30th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
I know your intelligent but please speak English...LOL...I'm really not serious I got a little pissed in the last post with chandler because we were talking with Wade about his new gear and few came in and started to cut the cosmetics up..I didn't think that was right...its like if someone bought a new car and you tell them it looks like **** and the manufacturer is right there...life is too short
Yeah, sometimes I poke things with a stick when I should just leave it alone. I was a little out of line (at least off topic) in the Chandler thread and got properly thumped! Oh well, sometimes you're the bug. In this thread I saw some poor newbie flying into the same windshield and thought I'd better jump in.....not always a wise decision but give me a glass of wine, a computer and some free time and BAM!.........I'm shootin' off my mouth.
Anyhoo...I get a kick outa 'yall and learn a thing or two here so I'll try to stay off the "aesthetic" jag and get back on topic as much as I can.

Apologizing in advance for my next outburst,
Rick "Chicken Head" Sutton
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

A friend in my studio the other day was just commenting about how cool it looked. I think it does too.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

When I bought my Pearlman TM-1, Dave also had me check out a preamp made by "his good friend", that "sounded perfect with the mic"...4 channels, for 1600. Due to a largesse of the opposite of money, I had to decline.

I believe that was the prototype for the Pacifica. It wasn't even ugly then, in a dark rack case clearly meant only to be used for prototyping.

Here's the deal...if it's your girlfriend, and you love her, even her imperfections appear as gorgeous lines. If she's not, and you hate her, then you could secretly hide and sketch her face in caricature. The people who already find her beatiful would see her beauty in the caricature. The people who detest her would see the caricature in an unaltered picture of her.

Question is, is there love or not? That is how you will see her...I mean, it : ) Have fun.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post

Decide for your self.
it does LOOK cheap But I'm sure it sounds great since it is so loved around here.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

It is a true measure of sluttiness
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

You should have a look at the Gordon preamp; you'd pass one up in a pawn shop for $50 with looks like that.

Girls all look pretty similar in the dark too.

BTW; my Quad Eight vintage rack-ups look different from a Pacifica; go check the classifieds....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search