The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hooking it all up Turntables
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

Hooking it all up

My local music store is about 45 minutes away.. I've spent close to 1200 now and finally have all that I need, the only problem is they wont explain to me how to hook it up on the phone and they are busy as .... everytime I go there.

I bought a pair of m-audio studiopro 3 speakers, Sterling ST55 condensor mic, Focusrite Trakmaster pro preamp, M-Audio USB interface, XLR cables, and TRS cables.

I figured I need to plug the XLR into the condensor and into the preamp....

I then guessed I need to plug the TRS cable into the instrument slot on the back of the M-Audio and press in Line. Not quite sure where to plug the other end of the TRS cable into the preamp though.....

I tried each slot and still couldn't get any noise to generate.

I'm getting upset b/c I saved so much money and cant even record a word even tho I have all I need. :(

I could have just bought a 1/8 converter and a PG 48 dynamic and saved myself tons and it would have been easy to work.. but I wanted to actually put money into it..

Any help would be AWESOME.

Thanks!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Welcome to the forum!

regarding hooking up:

check the site The Signal Flow in a Basic recording studio

here is everything explained!
Old 29th August 2007
Line out of Trakmaster - line in of audio interface (instrument in is designed for guitars/bass etc)

then press the line in button as you say.

Turn phantom power ON on the preamp. turn up gain and you should be able to see audio metering on the preamp, if it has any meters?

does that work?
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

it still isnt working.

I have the TRS cable plugged into LINE OUT 4 dbs in the back. Its plugged into Line on the m-audio interface and pushed Line in on the back.

it still isnt working ;(
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear
What DAW are you using? How are your monitors hooked up? You gotta have some degree of troubleshooting skill man... if hooking up one preamp to an M_Audio interface is kicking your ass, I don't know what to tell you.
Old 2nd September 2007
is there anything metering on the Trakmaster? if not, there's your first problem....
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

Lets troubleshoot this one piece at a time. You should start by connecting your Sterling ST55 condenser mic into the front of your Focusrite Trakmaster pro preamp using an XLR cable. Now power up the Trackmaster and make sure you have the +48v button engaged under the microphone input section. Then connect a set of headphones into your Trackmaster, set your preamp levels, headphone mix and monitor levels. You should hear something in your headphones when you speak into the mic now. If you hear nothing then I would consider taking those three pieces back to your local music store and show them that it does not work. If they value your business it should not be too difficult for them to figure out which piece is defective and exchange it. If it does work then I'm going to have to know the model of your M-Audio USB interface to be of any further assistance. Hope this helpsthumbsup.
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gabet you are the greatest! thank u so much

thanks to anyone else also

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search