The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU tech support SUCKS!!! Audio Interfaces
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

MOTU tech support SUCKS!!!

i have been trying to call tech support since 9am, now it's after 5.. that is just ********, first several hours were busy.. then it rings and you get some noise after about 15 rings, so i try to email them, you need a password and an account, so i set one up, then because i haven't registered my equipment online, i can't do anything, i am really over them, this is no way to run a company... no matter what
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

i wrote them also but it was already to late. the ultrlite driver was corrupted and complete killed my G5.

i got an answer back from them via email. not so bad. i wrote it last night (sunday) and got a respoense today at 12noon .
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

they have been this way for years. they don't answer the phones or return emails. unfortunately more and more companies are behaving this way. apple doesn't have free tech support at all.
Old 28th August 2007
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
i have been trying to call tech support since 9am, now it's after 5.. that is just ********, first several hours were busy.. then it rings and you get some noise after about 15 rings, so i try to email them, you need a password and an account, so i set one up, then because i haven't registered my equipment online, i can't do anything, i am really over them, this is no way to run a company... no matter what
I've tried to contact MOTU tech support and it's/they're f$%#ed. My problem is ??????? My system is ???????? Anyone?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hit redial over and over and over and over ........
repeat.

I can always get through within 15 minutes doing it this way. Never fails.
Even in the days after a major update.

Sucks - yeah but its better than Apples dedicated Logic support number.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Well MOTU Tech Support is bad but at least they're getting a bit better. That used to totally IGNORE emails, now at least they answer them the same week.

Native Instruments Tech Support is even worse than MOTU so I really don't know... Seems to be a trend these days. The above poster is right. More and more companies are diverting support from phones to emails.

So far, I've gotten great support from SSL (super!), Digidesign, Oxford, and Waves. They all get top marks in my book. -2 for Waves though since I have to pay for WUP.... But at least I do get support!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've actually had some pretty good results with MOTU tech support. But if you need an answer in 10 minutes you will definitely be frustrated. They do respond to emails, but it takes some time and sometimes you have to send the same question over again.

I've always eventually gotten a solution from them though.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Gave up on MOTU years ago...
Old 28th August 2007
Deleted User
Theres a reason I wont buy DP, I have a two MTPAVUSB's and the MOTU 828MKII. I think their support stinks and the quality on their drivers and hardware sucks as well. I wont be buying any more MOTU stuff anytime soon Phone is ALWAYS busy or no answer
Old 28th January 2008
I'll tell you though. Perhaps you're expecting Motu to have the means of Dell. I've been to the Motu building in Havard Square and they're small. They make a good product but they're very small so they're kinda outbuilding what they can support.
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

I've been using Motu gear with Mac for years, and never needed tech support. Could be luck, or could be the fact that just about any problem you can think of can be found using the search function at unicornation.com. Of course, I'm still on DP 4.6 on a G5, and they've just released DP 6. Sometimes, life in the slow lane is the most efficient route.
Old 29th January 2008
Smile

hate motu - i keep saying i'm on their last piece of gear......

Old 29th January 2008
Gear Guru

I agree. One more vote for MOTU Tech Support suckage. If you want to get thru, you need a phone with repeat speed dial. You CAN get thru, but it will take awhile.

What's worse, once thru, you have to deal with the neophite newbs who can only answer what's written on a paper in front of them. Simple, stupid stuff that anyone who's run DP for a year knows backwards and forwards. You explain your problem and they keep asking you stupid questions that don't even relate to the problem, then put you on hold while they ask someone who actually knows, then come back on and TRY to explain it to you. Try getting thru to an upper level tech support person who can actually help with a strange problem......it takes an act of God!

Slam Digi all you want, but they have WORLD CLASS tech support. And if you need it NOW, you pay a fair flat rate and you've got a straight line in for HOWEVER long it takes to resolve your provblem. For a busy pro, this is a must have.

Rant off......

bp
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

I will say that whoever said a corrupted driver "killed" their G5... that sounds a bit fishy... a driver just sits there until you plug in the device it drives. Then it either works or doesn't. If it's corrupted remove it from Libraray.Audio.MIDI drivers. If you trash it and unplug the USB device it wass driving it would be as if it were never there. Drivers don't , in my experience, kill G5s.
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Head
Angry motu support very bad!

I hated motu support too.
REALY VERY BAD SUPPORT tutt .
I have 3 experiences with motu support for hardware repair. First one is in year of 2005 and it's excellent.

Second one is 7months before and takes 2months for repair! They didn't answer may techlinks weeks and weeks.

Now My 24 io need repair but they didn't answered my techlink estimated 4weeks. Never answered my fax.

I will never prefer motu products.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

What tech support do you know that IS good??? All tech support blows...
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius View Post
What tech support do you know that IS good??? All tech support blows...
Roland actually has decent tech support. My only complaint is that it isn't a toll free call, but meh.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath|Audio View Post
Roland actually has decent tech support. My only complaint is that it isn't a toll free call, but meh.
That's ****ty right there!! How can you NOT have a 800 number for tech support?? tutt
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius View Post
That's ****ty right there!! How can you NOT have a 800 number for tech support?? tutt
Well, um...many companies charge for tech support (after the first year or less). So what does it matter if they have an 800 number or NOT? Since they're taking your credit card number, the 800 number is the least of your issues. Also, have you looked into cellular telephones? They have a lot of really REALLY cheap plans so you're not paying "long distance" fees on your "telephone"
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold View Post
Well, um... Digi and Apple charge for support (after the first year or something). So what does it matter if they have an 800 number or NOT? Since they're taking your credit card number, the 800 number is the least of your issues. Also, have you looked into cellular telephones? They have a lot of really REALLY cheap plans so you're not paying "long distance" fees on your "telephone"
When you call their tech support are you still put on hold like any other "free" 800 support line? Do they answer and solve your problem right then and there? tutt
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the heads-up y'all... I will NEVER buy a MOTU product..... EVER.

If there is one thing that really chokes me.. that is a company "pretending" to provide tech support for their products. I would rather they just come right out front and clearly tell all, that they have no intention of supporting their s#*t.
Old 9th February 2009
Smile

Quote:
I worked for MOTU tech support for 5 years, and would be happy to help slutz in any way I can... though I'm probably a bit rusty, I use DP regularly so I can probably help. Just PM me or email [email protected]. I'll do it for free... although you'll owe me a favor!

I will say that whoever said a corrupted driver "killed" their G5... that sounds a bit fishy... a driver just sits there until you plug in the device it drives. Then it either works or doesn't. If it's corrupted remove it from Libraray.Audio.MIDI drivers. If you trash it and unplug the USB device it wass driving it would be as if it were never there. Drivers don't , in my experience, kill G5s.

holy moly, danny - you are a champ!....

take him up on it, guys!

...i hear ya, gordzilla...

Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

I'm just bumping this because motu tech support really blows.
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
I'm just bumping this because motu tech support really blows.
Classy
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Cool

It's really a shame, because many moons ago - long before the internet and email - they had excellent support, although it would take endless calls to get through.
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear Maniac

HUH?

I've called MOTU in Massachusetts several times and I always get through. They even gave me 50% of a 424 card because I complained about an interface. Even they're online tech support is great. Numerous techs respond to me within 48 hours. So I can't disagree more. But it looks like my experience might not be typical... for whatever reason.
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Classy
Not how they recently treated me for sure.
Old 3rd September 2009
Quote:
HUH?

I've called MOTU in Massachusetts several times and I always get through. They even gave me 50% of a 424 card because I complained about an interface. Even they're online tech support is great. Numerous techs respond to me within 48 hours. So I can't disagree more. But it looks like my experience might not be typical... for whatever reason.
Hell hath frozen over.....

I have only contacted MOTU customer service by email once about a broken knob on my 828. A week later they responded saying it was not their department and I would have to contact tech support. No forward of email, no link or email to redirect. That is just half a$$ed. They need to go through a CS training program because that tells you a lot about a company. These complaints are so abundant and well known, bad customer service is almost synonymous with the MOTU name. I can't believe nothing has been done.
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
It's really a shame, because many moons ago - long before the internet and email - they had excellent support, although it would take endless calls to get through.
That is like saying "She is great in bed. But we almost never sleep together."

- c
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Also, umm... there was a time before the internet?

What was that like?

*rustling sound of children gathering 'round to hear a bedtime story*

- c

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search