The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can't do it all myself... Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Can't do it all myself...

Hey guys again,

I'm quite annoyed of making music atm. I am really inspired, writing songs and so on, but when it comes to recording in my private amateurish home studio, the patience is shrinking take after take.
I'm a songwriter / keyboarder, writing classic pop and/or indie/electro pop, in another thread I already stated that I can't sing (hate it but wanna do it anyway for my solo stuff).

Besides, the most annoying part of my song producing is making beats! I'm using Battery 2 and Cubase Studio 4, drawing the beats into the editor, but I just can't produce any nice beat. So I keep it simple, and it makes me fall asleep.
Unfortunately many beat-softwares (tried Guru) seem to be very dance orientated, and Groove Agent is really crap - it's ridiculously toylike.

In older times I just got the beat and accompany from my Yamaha PSR and I could concentrate on playing/recording the actual song, without having to worry about the beat. But ever since I decided to leave the entertainer-keyboard-world that came along with my childhood days, I found it very annoying to program beats. Also the fuss with finding a fitting sample in Battery is very annoying.
Instead of riding on a wave (good beats) with my other sounds (pianos, strings, synths, etc.), I am drowning in a swamp (my beats).

And then the singing which I already talked about. I have found a wonderful singer, and we are planning on a duo project. But for my solo stuff I still want to sing myself though I hate my voice :( Maybe its the cheap preamp (Presonus TubePre) or the cheap mic (AT2020) or both, but I think it's my voice in the first place. Since it sounded damn good with my singer. My voice is thinner than thin, almost sounds like yawning.

Anyway, to sum it up: Programming beats and singing vocals, in between having the trouble with software problems and other recording tasks (I'm no pro) - doing ALL, recording, playing instruments AND singing - all just by myself - might be a bit too much for me, so that all my inspiration and drive gets destroyed.

So here's the parts of my gear that are involved in the creative process.
I already talked about my poor room acoustics in some other thread, but that should not be the point here - I'm having problems already before mixing, and my voice stays crap even if I would go to the best studio in the world.

PC
Tascam FW 1082
Masterkeyboard (Juno-D, love these keys - might be a Radias soon)
Kurzweil PC1X (best Piano sound I know of)
Korg Triton (good for Bass, Mallet and Pads)
Audio Technica AT 2020
Presonus TubePre
Most used Software: Cubase Studio 4, Battery, minimonsta, oddity, Korg Legacy Collection

Any idea how to save my inspiration, patience, excitement and drive *and* recording my songs in my studio?
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
Any idea how to save my inspiration, patience, excitement and drive *and* recording my songs in my studio?

Try another hobby. Making art and music should be effortless. If you are having these many problems and you are still at a novice level,...save the heartache, try something else.

I started out with crappy bass guitar, a keyboard that was worse (it had the 'fill' button for the drums), and a Tascam 4 track cassette machine....It was the most fun I had at that time. I was very inexperiened but it was fun and I really enjoyed it even with the limitations.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
We've all been there at one point or another.
You have several choices, as I see it.

1. Give up.
2. Try harder.
3. Employ session people/producer to assist you.
4. Join a band or find a collaborator with a complimentary skill set.

I did 4 and 2- which was to work with a skilled drummer and then buckl down to do some hard work.
It was the right choice for me.

Good luck.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Giving up music? are you nuts? tutt

So I might try harder - or find someone who does at least the beats.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

man im in a real close situation to yours. ill be all excited with a new idea. after i get the pres warmed up and mics stop popping ive lost my original idea. im starting to get better at it though. nowdays i just hit record with all the fans running and everything - **** it. smoke a bowl and jam out and record it all.

i ****ing hate making music all by myself. neil young did it on his first album and even he said "no one should have to do that."
Old 27th August 2007
pan
Lives for gear

Join a band !

There's nothing that compares to doing live music.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey again,
as I said - I am doing this duo project with my singer.

Would love to have a band. But its really hard to find, I tried dozens of times. Find a guitarist who wants to do pop. There's hardly anyone - at least here in this part of Germany *and* reading my announces and posters

About the ideas: Well these are not gone, I do not "forget" the song.
It's just about the passion, that gets ruined by the fuss with the singing and the fuss with the beats.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

HAve you been on the spectrasonics Stylus Rmx site, the video demos seem pretty good It's true that groove agent seems very amateurish.
Good luck
Rich
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, I checked the site out a bit... someone already recommended it to me before.
Is there a demo version downloadable anywhere? It's a bit too much of a price to buy "blindly" without testing before.

Short update: I just made some new kits on Battery, sorted in favourite bass drums, snares, hi hats and others.... maybe this will help me a bit for future productions.
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

EZ Drummer has a TON of pre-made beats that you can drag and drop and arrange to fit your tastes.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear
Do drugs.

Seriously though, I find that completely overloading on caffeine helps me get motivated to do the technical and logistical stuff. But not so much for the performance, unless I'm playing something absurdly fast.
Old 28th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hle144 View Post
Try another hobby. Making art and music should be effortless.
The only thing you do that should be effortless is doing nothing. For many artists, myself included, the effort is a big part of creation.

Ben
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Borrow a box like a Dr-880 and see if making beats is any easier for you. Hell, hit records are made on stuff like that. When I want to do a demo without the drummer I just send the kick and snare out individually and mix the rest through the stereo outputs. It works too.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studilaroche View Post
The only thing you do that should be effortless is doing nothing. For many artists, myself included, the effort is a big part of creation.

Ben
I didn't quite take it that way. I think the point was that if it's that painful and unenjoyable then find something else, life is short. It should be work, but it should be a labor of love, not pain... well maybe it could be pain, I guess people get off on different things.

Anyway, my 2 cents is to simplify your setup a bit, maybe get some loop cds of well performed and recorded drums. I have been playing drums for 20 some years and sometimes I still prefer bringing up a loop to get myself started and then replacing it later with a programmed beat or live drums. Different strokes...
I say stick with what makes it feel effortless and just try to find the space to enjoy it, it may not be what you had in mind, but isn't having fun what it's all about?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey again,

well.... pain belongs to art.
Pain belongs to music just like joy.
The latter I had today, since this was such a good recording day.

Made the basics for 2 new songs today, and even enjoyed singing, beats sound as they should.... even got some new ideas.... so the whole opposite
Guess it changes like the weather.

And music is not a "HOBBY". It's a life's work, at least for me. You won't see me collecting stamps. I live for music. Breathing air, drinking water, writing songs.
You don't have to be a professional to be 100% musician.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey again,

well.... pain belongs to art.
Pain belongs to music just like joy.
That's real.thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search