The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Creating massive kickz Single-Channel Preamps
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Angry Creating massive kickz

hey man im stuck i need help creating kicks and snare any one have advice
Old 26th August 2007
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
how does this help me
i wanna make my own
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Guru

Well your question is very general and you can study how to make massive snares and kicks for years and still not get it right much less what someone would tell you just on this thread. Thus, I was giving you the quick solution since a lot of the stuff you are probably comparing your own stuff to has been replaced/blended with samples like the ones from my link.

Sorry not being of any help. ;-)
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo View Post
how does this help me
i wanna make my own
Stick some microphones in front of a bass drum and press record- always works for me.

What, specifically, did you need help with?
Mic techniques, mic choice, converters, preamps?
How are your acoustics?

It is pretty complicated- we can't tell you how to create 'massive kicks' because each situation is different.
What genres are you working in?
If rock music then this might help.

As far as eq goes,
50hz by up to 8-9db- this is where the meat of the kick is.
cut 400hz by 4-5 db to remove the boxy sound.
4k is where the hard beater sound lives - boosting a few db can help the click for a more modern sound, less for a vintage sound.

If your source is ****house then all the eq in the world wont fix it- you need great source material which is why people often use samples- the idea being 'why reinvent the wheel?"

I have my own personal sample library that I use for sample augmentation/replacement that has been collected over 15 years of recording drums and I still go to commercial sample libraries on occasion- today I used the Bob Clearmountain library kicks and toms for a post-zeppelin ballsy rock song and it sounded great. It is a judgement call each time.
The problem with recording drums is there are so many choices to be made which means you can f*ck up many, many times in succession and screw yourself royally and have a scratchy, woolly, putrid mess.
I used to do this all the time- it comes with the territory- Eventually you will start to f*ck up a bit less and your drum recordings won't completely suck.
Some time after that you start to enjoy it. Welcome to the jungle. :-)

Drum recordings are, for me, the mark of a great engineer- anyone who can record a drum kit and make it sound great gets my respect because it is so hard to do.

I always blend a tiny amount of the kick into the drum verbs to give the kick the sound of being part of the kit rather than removed from the audio image
I always have 3 verbs set up- plate, hall and a room.
The kick goes to plate only (the shortest verb) otherwise it can get a bit overwhelming.

Electronic music is completely different- most of my electronic kicks come from Stylus RMX, Roland JP8000, Quasimidi Polymorph but I process the fcuk out of them in the analog world- Vipre, Summit compressors, whatever works.

Good luck.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Stick some microphones in front of a bass drum and press record- always works for me.

What, specifically, did you need help with?
Mic techniques, mic choice, converters, preamps?
How are your acoustics?
I need help with creating kicks thru synthesis, sorry i wasnt more specific
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Guru

hip hop eh?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo View Post
I need help with creating kicks thru synthesis, sorry i wasnt more specific
I have no idea where you are at with this.
I don't know what synths you have and it is pretty difficult to give you 'all the information'- plus there is a lot that you need to work out for yourself, that essentially cannot be taught.
Some questions.

Do you know what a VCO is?
Do you understand the 4 (or 5) compinents of an envelope?
Can you explain to me what an envelope is?
Do you know what an LFO is and how to use it in synthesis?

If the answer to all these questions is 'no' then you need a synth primer.
If yes, then what I will write in my next post should make a bit of sense.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Looking in the sound envelope section of your synth and also reading about sound envelopes would be a good place to start.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Here you go friend :

Stomper - the Drum Sound Synthesizer

Stomper, the drum sound synth. Great intro to synthesis, and makes monster 909-ish sounding kicks. Tweak away to your heart's content!
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

and then put it to tape loud, for some tape distortion/compression... Even a normal tape recorder can do the trick pretty well...
Attached Files

kick.wav (16.7 KB, 84 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search